Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

So the loyalist community postpone all parades for foreseeable future.
    The shinners though never miss a chance for a wee parade. Here they are flouting all the distancing rules and funeral rules yesterday
    A law unto themselves https://www.midulstermail.co.uk/news/people/questions-asked-about-social-distancing-after-crowds-attend-funeral-republican-francie-mcnally-2534182

They didn’t even have their usual masks on lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    downcow wrote: »
    So the loyalist community postpone all parades for foreseeable future.
    The shinners though never miss a chance for a wee parade. Here they are flouting all the distancing rules and funeral rules yesterday
    A law unto themselves https://www.midulstermail.co.uk/news/people/questions-asked-about-social-distancing-after-crowds-attend-funeral-republican-francie-mcnally-2534182

They didn’t even have their usual masks on lol

Absolute disgrace,but to be expected from a bunch of knuckle dragging neanderthals!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,236 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I have no problem saying that funeral was the wrong thing to do, they should apologise immediately. No excuse for those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    blinding wrote: »
    Some day, when Big Island Brits work out how much they are paying for Northern Ireland ; Well then = Tis all over for you Irish Unionists.

If what the Italian prime minister says in this link is correct,the EU may crumble then Ireland may end up rejoining the UK never mind a UI,who knows, even join the Commonwealth.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52224838

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    If what the Italian prime minister says in this link is correct,the EU may crumble then Ireland may end up rejoining the UK never mind a UI,who knows, even join the Commonwealth.

Is the UK doing so well that we would hitch our wagon to that trash heap?

Oh Rob.

• Advertisement

Ha ha ha. It's bad when you are listening to the Italians for comfort.

Italy, of all EU countries needs debt relief, he is applying pressure on other leaders here.

The UK is simply printing more money QE as far as I know. That option is open to all. There will be relief too as there has to be. Not just in Italy but across the entire planet.
    It won't be a bed of roses for sure, but the EU will be one of the last to fold id folding begins. It s those standing alone who need to worry most.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    An Independent United Ireland is the way to go.

I would join the Common-wealth on a trial basis ( for the Common-wealth) if Ireland was allowed to head it ( just for the hell of it )

We could run it for 20 years just because.....

20-30 years
    An Independent United Ireland is the way to go.

I would join the Common-wealth on a trial basis ( for the Common-wealth) if Ireland was allowed to head it ( just for the hell of it )

We could run it for 20 years just because.....
    Don't even joke about that.

The idea of a republic joining an organisation headed by a monarch is just absurd.

10-15 years
    Don't even joke about that.

The idea of a republic joining an organisation headed by a monarch is just absurd.
    There was talk of the Leader being Elected by the Leaders of the Commonwealth Members which would have brought some level of Democracy to it BUT they bottled it and it is still the British Monarch, which is a problem alright ! !

Not withstanding Boris talking about it as a trading bloc to compete with the EU. Laughable but still a no no for us if they even try.

I agree about the 'monarch' leader thing too.

• Advertisement

20-30 years
    There was talk of the Leader being Elected by the Leaders of the Commonwealth Members which would have brought some level of Democracy to it BUT they bottled it and it is still the British Monarch, which is a problem alright ! !

Let's get this straight, it's not that it's the British Monarch, it's that it is a monarch at all.

10-15 years
    So if a United Ireland was offered and part of the Deal was becoming a Member of the Common-Wealth then , many would turn it down ! ! This seems a case of the ‘Perfect' standing in the Way of the Good Outcome.

10-15 years
    Let's get this straight, it's not that it's the British Monarch, it's that it is a monarch at all.
    And what if the Leader of the Common-Wealth was elected by the Leaders of its Members. The probable (to me ) sensible and right approach.

20-30 years
    So if a United Ireland was offered and part of the Deal was becoming a Member of the Common-Wealth then , many would turn it down ! ! This seems a case of the ‘Perfect' standing in the Way of the Good Outcome.

Why would it be "offered"?

The only way we get a UI is when we have the referendum on same. There are no offers to be made.

I don't see a unionist going "sure I'll vote for a UI if we can join the Commonwealth". Come off it. Plus, their days of "offering stuff" and having a veto are over. The most entrenched are not worthy of consideration. Leave them at it.
    And what if the Leader of the Common-Wealth was elected by the Leaders of its Members. The probable (to me ) sensible and right approach.

I still don't understand why we would join such an anachronism of pointlessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    jh79 wrote: »
    We have to agree to take NI in a referendum. The South has a choice.

If the South rejects reunification then the Irish state ceases to exist in its current form. Good luck with that.

10-15 years
    If the South rejects reunification then the Irish state ceases to exist in its current form. Good luck with that.
    It would be hard to see the South rejecting it but then the Southern West Brits have a lot of the Media on their Side; It would certainly be ‘ interesting times '

30-40 years
    It would be hard to see the South rejecting it but then the Southern West Brits have a lot of the Media on their Side; It would certainly be ‘ interesting times '

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111495712&postcount=85

People who are against it would need to come together and come up with a vision for a permanently separated nation because this state was designed with an end-goal of unification.

20-30 years
    There is near to zero chance of a Southern rejection.

Partitionists would have to step up and give us the whys and wherefores. I can't see the cowards doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Partitionists would have to step up and give us the whys and wherefores. I can't see the cowards doing that.

We can't afford will be the post COVID-19 reason and that could impact our economy for more than a decade.

A SF led government running deficits year are year will make sure of that.

Not even Charlie Flanagan would campaign against it. You'd have the Kevin Myers, Peter Casey, Ruth Dudley Edwards types mounting petty little campaigns, but I can't see one political party opposing it.

• Advertisement

20-30 years
    We can't afford will be the post COVID-19 reason and that could impact our economy for more than a decade.

Grand so.

When a referendum comes I expect you and your ilk to go make that argument. As is your right.

"Partition is good because..."

20-30 years
    Not even Charlie Flanagan would campaign against it. You'd have the Kevin Myers, Peter Casey, Ruth Dudley Edwards types mounting petty little campaigns, but I can't see one political party opposing it.

Renua were the only party of pure partition I know of.

PDs were uncomfortable with reunification. But that's about it.

That says it all for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I am not sure I would want them. Do we in NI get to vote to block them getting in, like they do in GFA. Why would we in the UK want to take on that millstone?

Renua were the only party of pure partition I know of.

PDs were uncomfortable with reunification. But that's about it.

That says it all for me.

Where Renua actually against it? In their policy docs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭eire4

To be fair it is way too early to say does the covid 19 pandemic change anything at all as everyone is going to be taking a big hit and in fact if the models are in any way accurate Britain may well be taking the biggest hit in western Europe. One thing I do feel is coming is that there will be some very serious fundamental changes coming when this crisis is over and whether those are for the better of for the worse only time will tell but big change is coming IMHO.

20-30 years
    downcow wrote: »
    I am not sure I would want them. Do we in NI get to vote to block them getting in, like they do in GFA. Why would we in the UK want to take on that millstone?

Ha ha!

You should lead the campaign against our reunification with the UK. We're all CRYING out for it here.

You're a good one. But it's not up for debate here. You should go start a thread on it.

30-40 years
    Grand so.

When a referendum comes I expect you and your ilk to go make that argument. As is your right.

"Partition is good because..."

And they can stop using the Irish Flag, they can change the constitution, they can stop using 'Ireland' as the name of the state, stop using the anthem and so on.

Yeah, these fools haven't considered the consequences of rejection of unification.

20-30 years
    Where Renua actually against it? In their policy docs?

I'm certain they were. I remember posting it in a previous thread. Please hold.

EDIT: Seems to be missing from their "COUNTRY" section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

eire4 wrote: »
    To be fair it is way too early to say does the covid 19 pandemic change anything at all as everyone is going to be taking a big hit and in fact if the models are in any way accurate Britain may well be taking the biggest hit in western Europe. One thing I do feel is coming is that there will be some very serious fundamental changes coming when this crisis is over and whether those are for the better of for the worse only time will tell but big change is coming IMHO.

NI pays nothing towards the UK national debt.

Irelands debt will just grow. The left will get in sooner or later. They will run huge deficits.

Deficits are just another form of taxation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

From 2014

The findings indicate a high proportion of public-sector jobs have played a key role in insulating the North from the effects of the recession relative to the Republic.

Unemployment levels across many parts of Northern Ireland, for example, are half the rates south of the Border.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/north-better-off-than-republic-study-finds-1.2020804

During recessions NI always does better than the South.

Since 2014 it has added public sector jobs every year.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/employee-jobs-total-in-northern-ireland-jumps-to-historical-high-1.3728105

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement