Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    During recessions NI always does better than the South.

Since 2014 it has added public sector jobs every year.historical-high-1.3728105

It would have to brought in line with the South, the north would be ripe for FDI, with lower costs of accommodation.

But I agree that the Public/Civil service would have to be scaled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    It would have to brought in line with the South, the north would be ripe for FDI, with lower costs of accommodation.

But I agree that the Public/Civil service would have to be scaled down.

I'm dying to flip some gaffs in Stranmillis. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    downcow wrote: »
    I am not sure I would want them. Do we in NI get to vote to block them getting in, like they do in GFA. Why would we in the UK want to take on that millstone?

Obviously only if NI were happy with it,I`d imagine certain disruptive types would have to pledge allegiance to the Queen and recognise Her as the head of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

20-30 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    Obviously only if NI were happy with it,I`d imagine certain disruptive types would have to pledge allegiance to the Queen and recognise Her as the head of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

What is this nonsense?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    I think Ye must be running a fever !

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    There is near to zero chance of a Southern rejection.

Partitionists would have to step up and give us the whys and wherefores. I can't see the cowards doing that.

Being realistic,with this virus which is going to hit us all hard financially will there be much appetite for something which is going to cost Ireland and Britain a lot of money they probably won`t have to spare,the same probably goes for the EU and US.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Grand so.

When a referendum comes I expect you and your ilk to go make that argument. As is your right.

"Partition is good because..."

I'm in the Republic so unification is bad because....

• Registered Users Posts: 69,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

jh79 wrote: »
    I'm in the Republic so unification is bad because....

So who is going to represent you politically do you think?

So who is going to represent you politically do you think?

As i've said before pretty apathetic to the whole idea but don't want to have to pay for it.

I think FG offer the best chance economically and ironically SF offer the least chance

As i've said before pretty apathetic to the whole idea but don't want to have to pay for it.

I think FG offer the best chance economically and ironically SF offer the least chance

eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

10-15 years
    Being realistic,with this virus which is going to hit us all hard financially will there be much appetite for something which is going to cost Ireland and Britain a lot of money they probably won`t have to spare,the same probably goes for the EU and US.

If there was ever a time to re-evaluate the economic agruement it would be now.

Many brits saw NI as threatening the economic benefit of "Brexit" because of the EU/border issues. Even if it costs britain money, now with a global recession, the prospect of NI holding Britain back from EU deviation is likely to weigh heavy.

On the other hand, NI has cost to the Irish state anyways and with the economy near stopped on both sides of the border, a unified approach to recovery would be appealling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I don't think that would be an issue to them. The vast majority in the south seem quite taken with the royal family

30-40 years
    I don't think that would be an issue to them. The vast majority in the south seem quite taken with the royal family

We could put joining that silly club to a vote after unification, if people voted for it I wouldn't be happy but I'd accept it.

20-30 years

I wouldn't worry about it so if I were you.

Recessions don't dull aspirations.

eh?

Sorry little one was swinging out of me.

FG have said they want to do it when the time is right. So i reckon they would ensure the economy was robust enough to carry it.

If all the parties are reckless from an economic stand point them no one would represent me.

But the referendum commission as an impartial service will have a part to play too.

20-30 years

That's not really apathy though.

20-30 years

The "vast majority"? What?

I had posted previously that i would be open to the idea of a United Kingdom of Ireland, containing the two countries of NI and ROI. Given the economic fallout which is about to hit the ROI 10 times harder than the UK, I would like to take that off the table again. I don't want to enter a partnership with what will be a preety big economic challenge - and we wouldn't be any help to you anyhow as we would just be a further drain on your economy and the added issue of trouble kicking off in the middle of it.

I think Covid has just ensured it is Bye Bye United I

20-30 years
    I had posted previously that i would be open to the idea of a United Kingdom of Ireland, containing the two countries of NI and ROI. Given the economic fallout which is about to hit the ROI 10 times harder than the UK, I would like to take that of the table again. I don't want to enter a partnership with what will be a preety big economic challenge - and we wouldn't be any help to you anyhow as we would just be a further drain on your economy and the added issue of trouble kicking off in the middle of it.

What's a United Kingdom of Ireland?

This economic fallout you speak of, can you verify just how hard it is going to hit us, relatively to the UK? Or is it another one of your abject feelings?

That's not really apathy though.

I'm not gonna start my own militia whinging on boards will be the height of it.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    I had posted previously that i would be open to the idea of a United Kingdom of Ireland, containing the two countries of NI and ROI. Given the economic fallout which is about to hit the ROI 10 times harder than the UK, I would like to take that off the table again. I don't want to enter a partnership with what will be a preety big economic challenge - and we wouldn't be any help to you anyhow as we would just be a further drain on your economy and the added issue of trouble kicking off in the middle of it.

United Kingdom of Ireland does have a certain ring to it..what a true modern day colossus we would be together!

30-40 years
    Given the economic fallout which is about to hit the ROI 10 times harder than the UK

Why? Britain is going to get hit much harder by this infection in all probability and it's also facing Brexit.

Ireland is a small dynamic economy that can recover quickly.

Why? Britain is going to get hit much harder by this infection in all probability and it's also facing Brexit.

Ireland is a small dynamic economy that can recover quickly.

We won't recover quickly with SF in charge. They want to spend 5 times more than any other party.

20-30 years
    We won't recover quickly with SF in charge. They want to spend 5 times more than any other party.

They're not in charge though. Give over. We get it.

:):):)

A United Kingdom Of Ireland....That's a new one. :)

Sorry little one was swinging out of me.

FG have said they want to do it when the time is right. So i reckon they would ensure the economy was robust enough to carry it.

If all the parties are reckless from an economic stand point them no one would represent me.

But the referendum commission as an impartial service will have a part to play too.

FG could not oppose it at any point without admitting they are anti the constitution.

30-40 years

Tell me, is there any other way but spending that's going to stop complete economic collapse in Ireland and everywhere else?

Do FG/FF have some sort of magic beans or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years

The Bull kicked you in the Head Again !

:):):)

A United Kingdom Of Ireland....That's a new one. :)

Francie, I said on here some time ago that maintaining the country of Northern Ireland is an essential part of any agreement I would be involved in going forward.
    I was suggesting that it would be quite radical for Unionists to accept an island that is united on the same basis as the current UK. ie England, Scotland, Wails and Northern Ireland are four countries connected in the one nation.
    So if you could contemplate a united kingdom of this island, where my beloved Northern Ireland is not threatened and exist in the same way as Scotland within the UK, then I could begin talking to you. I am not saying there are a pile of unionists who would be of the same mind, but if you were working on convincing Unionism of that possibility, it may have some traction.
    United Ireland, which absorbs Northern Ireland, it is not happening, Will never happen. You do not just forget about a country that has existed for 100 years, which is quite a few generations.

You guys need to get real about what is possible.

You would have a massive uphill task to convince me to join a United Kingdom of this island, for a whole range of reasons, but I would be open to listening to you - and yes I would imagine it would join the Commonwealth.

I understand that it is very hard for many of you to accept that your beloved United Ireland will never happen, and I genuinely feel sorry for you that we cannot square the circle, so as we all hold onto what is dear to us. But you not getting your United Ireland, is away down the painometer from the losing the country that my parents, children, my probably soon to be grandchildren, have grew up in.

• Advertisement

30-40 years
    United Ireland, which absorbs Northern Ireland, it is not happening, Will never happen. You do not just forget about a country that has existed for 100 years, which is quite a few generations.

NI isn't a country and when people vote for a United Ireland it ceases to have any semblance of legitimacy (it never had it in the first place).

Unionists won't be in any position to be making demands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement