Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

downcow wrote: »
    100bn. A tiny drop in eu. When you think that uk are throwing 300bn at just 3 months in this wee part of the world. It’s pitence unfortunately

26 nations average 4bn each. Do the population ratios and ireland might get 1bn. Less than the dup supply deal

Please Doherty saying EU funds will all go to the very rich.

He is right.

Our payments of 350 euros a week are too low.

Loads of construction professionals are angry as they hear about their mates across in Manchester getting 2500 sterling a month. Yet they are expect to live on much less.

I know a few who are regretful they came back.

Will my salary be paid?
    If you work in the private sector, and pay tax through the pay-as-you-earn (PAYE) system, your employer can put you on furlough - essentially, lay you off temporarily - by applying for a government grant to pay 80% of your gross salary up to a limit of £2,500 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Please Doherty saying it will all go to the very rich.

He is right.

Loads of construction professionals are angry as they hear about their mates across in Manchester getting 2500 sterling a month. Yet they are expect to live on much less.

Will my salary be paid?
    If you work in the private sector, and pay tax through the pay-as-you-earn (PAYE) system, your employer can put you on furlough - essentially, lay you off temporarily - by applying for a government grant to pay 80% of your gross salary up to a limit of £2,500 per month.

Pearse Doherty is talking through his hole. You’d want to cop yourself on. Whining posts comparing Ireland to the UK. You really don’t have a clue what you are talking about. Left wing bolloxology

Hubertj wrote: »
    Pearse Doherty is talking through his hole. You’d want to cop yourself on. Whining posts comparing Ireland to the UK. You really don’t have a clue what you are talking about. Left wing bolloxology

I'm not left wing.

I am probably the only person on here who has raised the issue of FG increasing public spending by 13billion since 2016 and said it was way too much.

I don't agree with SF on much but this time they are correct. The EU bailout will go to the rich.

More debt for the ordinary Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

I'm not left wing.

I am probably the only person on here who has raised the issue of FG increasing public spending by 13billion since 2016 and said it was way too much.

I don't agree with SF on much but this time they are correct. The EU bailout will go to the rich.

Apologies I wasn’t calling you left wing. I was referring to SF trying to get in the news and make themselves relevant.

Cheer up a bit. Very miserable tone to your posts. Need to be more positive about the future.

I dread to think what would be happening if MLM and the rest of them were not in cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I'm not left wing.

Will SF vote for this bailout as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    It will just go to the rich as SF would tell you.

In the UK it will go to ordinary people. They get 80% of their wages up to 2500 a month.

The UK is better at helping the middle classes.

Free GP care. (Waiting times?)
    Free school books. (We have rental schemes)
    Top Rate of tax at £50k not €35k (And?)
    No USC. (And?)
    A higher rate of what we call employers PRSI so they can pay for services. (Okay)
    Investment in public transport. Eg crossrail, Manchester extension of its metro 5.6km open a few weeks back. (Irish people have a blindspot to transport issues. This is an issue with our electorate. Have you seen transport in the North? This is an All-Ireland issue)
    Rail links to airports. (As above)
    Publicly owned golf courses so all can play the game cheaply.
    Etc etc

Really? Golf courses?

Also, how many are earning 2.5k a month in the UK? Nonsense!

20-30 years
    jh79 wrote: »
    Unless we some how manage to run a huge budget surplus, borrowing is the only option to fund a UI.

The cheap EU money will only be available with budgetory conditions.

For those who think a UI is still possible in post COVID economy , where is the money gonna come from?

Borrowing is how countries work.

20-30 years
    Please Doherty saying EU funds will all go to the very rich.

He is right.

Will my salary be paid?

No one is getting 2.5k a month in the UK. I don't think you understand how these things work. Stop misrepresenting it.

Sure, if we did give everyone that amount a month you'd be the first to complain that "Germany shouldn't pay".

You're all over the place on this. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Borrowing is how countries work.

Have you forgotten already the interest rates on the bond markets in the last recession?

Not a hope of an UI until we have a few years of budget surpluses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

No one is getting 2.5k a month in the UK. I don't think you understand how these things work. Stop misrepresenting it.

Sure, if we did give everyone that amount a month you'd be the first to complain that "Germany shouldn't pay".

You're all over the place on this. Awful.

what do you mean. why is he misrepresenting things?

• Advertisement

This is simply pathetic today from Michelle O’Neill.
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1129983/

I wonder is she the only person anywhere in the world who is not open to help from any quarter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Have you forgotten already the interest rates on the bond markets in the last recession?

Some people live In fantasy land where if they need money they just go and sh*t on the magic money tree. :)

10-15 years

I wonder is she the only person anywhere in the world who is not open to help from any quarter?
    Putting her selfish political aims before the wellbeing of the people of NI says it all-she should be ashamed of herself.

20-30 years

I haven't forgotten anything. And the historic highs of the last decade and historic lows of recent years won't have much of a bearing on a hypothetical scenario in about a decade or so.

20-30 years
    what do you mean. why is he misrepresenting things?

He seems to think that brickies in Manchester are all on £2500 a month. It's almost like he's being disingenuous. I thought you of all people would have seen through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    Some people live In fantasy land where if they need money they just go and sh*t on the magic money tree. :)

Like the British Government? Close to half a trillion GBP in the aftermath of the 2008 economic crisis. £330,000,000,000 being shook off the magic money tree (Government loan guarantees) to help deal with COVID19.

To be honest Britain's presence in Ireland has become a problem again for the whole nation north and south. COVID19 dithering and division in the north has demonstrated the strategic one-island-integrity argument for a United Ireland.

20-30 years

Oh no. Did you not read what was said:
    RT&#201 wrote:
    In a statement, the party’s leader in Northern Ireland, Michelle O'Neill, said Mr Swann had acted unilaterally and without consulting any of his Stormont Executive colleagues before making the request.

O'Neill is the dFM. She should have been consulted about the move, as unsurprising, the involvement of British Army is a sensitive subject within the Nationalist community. Cos you know, they had a tendency to kill Nationalists for the lolz in the past.
    RT&#201 wrote:
    Last month, Mr Swann told the Stormont Assembly he would be prepared to asked the Irish Defence Forces for help if it was needed and they were in a position to provide it.

How would that go down for you Downcow? No doubt you'd be up in arms!

Not to mention:
    "Sinn Fein has made it clear we will not rule out any measure necessary to save lives, protect the public and tackle the spread of Coronavirus," she told RTE News.

"But there are local solutions to get us through the pinch points where we may need extra help if that is to move ventilators around, if that is to do any of those things, then there are many many people here.

"Lorry drivers who are unemployed right now have been wanting to play their part, the freight companies, all have been offering their services, the PSNI themselves actually could offer to help us also.

"I don't believe that the British Army assistance is necessary at this point. I believe that all of our modelling indicates that we are coping, albeit in the most challenging of circumstances."

Representatives of haulage companies and lorry drivers in Northern Ireland have said they could help make any necessary deliveries.

The Freight Transport Association pointed out that hundreds of HGV lorries are currently parked up with their drivers out of work.

I know, how unreasonable of her!!!

https://twitter.com/Freight_NI/status/1248937622413533189

I mean, there's a Logistics expert and head of FreightNI. Do you think all of this is a nationalist ruse?

You would also have read that:
    RT&#201 wrote:
    The request for military aid must first be assessed by Northern Ireland Secretary of State Brandon Lewis MP before passing it on to the Ministry of Defence.

The British government must be satisfied that all possible alternatives have bee exhausted.

So by my reckoning they haven't exhausted all alternatives just yet.

---

I'm sure you read the piece and considered its content and didn't just jump on it in your normal fashion and post it here.

20-30 years
    Putting her selfish political aims before the wellbeing of the people of NI says it all-she should be ashamed of herself.

I'm assuming you didn't read it then?

I did an ELI5 for ya to help you out.

20-30 years
    Like the British Government? Close to half a trillion GBP in the aftermath of the 2008 economic crisis. £330,000,000,000 being shook off the magic money tree (Government loan guarantees) to help deal with COVID19.

To be honest Britain's presence in Ireland has become a problem again for the whole nation north and south. COVID19 dithering and division in the north has demonstrated the strategic one-island-integrity argument for a United Ireland.

I do like how you have a reasoned argument for someone who can barely use a blackboard.

10-15 years

Tom,do you really think any of the parties concerned would have any appetite for such an expensive undertaking at this time?I'd say it won't be considered for at least another decade.

• Advertisement

15-20 years
    Tom,do you really think any of the parties concerned would have any appetite for such an expensive undertaking at this time?I'd say it won't be considered for at least another decade.

Tbh...the way english have carried on surronding this virus,has vanished any concerns i had surronding costs

Those people are not dependable,arent fit to run their own country,no mind part of our island....whenever it is,whatever it costs for unity, the risks of another corona outbreak is too high to be letting em have a sày here again

10-15 years
    I'm assuming you didn't read it then?

I did an ELI5 for ya to help you out.

Judging by the insults you're doling out tonight bonnie,I'd say you've been at the Jamesons again...

20-30 years

It's not an undertaking.

If the SoS NI decides that there might be a victory for reunification in a referendum then that starts the clock. That's all it takes. Money doesn't come into that decision.

Money may mean that the South vote against, but that won't happen. So be grand.

20-30 years
    Judging by the insults you're doling out tonight bonnie,I'd say you've been at the Jamesons again...

They're only insults if you you're trying to demean the person.

I just have no faith in your knowledge or ability to discuss Ireland and reunification and as such its not possible to demean you.

Do you need that illustrated?

A huge thank you to my nationalist and republican country folk. They have risen to the challenge of uniting as a all-ni community. I acknowledge that a combination of genuine issues, combined with sf revisionism, has left a bad taste in most nationalists mouths we regard to the security forces which will take time to dissipate.
    Give this, nationalist and republicans have, almost to a person, condemned sf/O’Neill response to army help. And fair play to SDLP and alliance for 100% support for army help.

This article has had over 1k comments and it’s impressive to see almost 100% condemnation for Michelle from every community including those describing themselves as sf/Michele supporters

Augers well for OWC (in partnership with all our neighbours on these islands, Europe and worldwide) effectively tackling this pandemic.

Thank you sf voters on this. You have clearly done the right thing by us all.

https://www.facebook.com/526712010807134/posts/2079469212198065?sfns=mo

• Registered Users Posts: 69,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A huge thank you to my nationalist and republican country folk. They have risen to the challenge of uniting as a all-ni community. I acknowledge that a combination of genuine issues, combined with sf revisionism, has left a bad taste in most nationalists mouths we regard to the security forces which will take time to dissipate.
    Give this, nationalist and republicans have, almost to a person, condemned sf/O’Neill response to army help. And fair play to SDLP and alliance for 100% support for army help.

This article has had over 1k comments and it’s impressive to see almost 100% condemnation for Michelle from every community including those describing themselves as sf/Michele supporters

Augers well for OWC (in partnership with all our neighbours on these islands, Europe and worldwide) effectively tackling this pandemic.

Thank you sf voters on this. You have clearly done the right thing by us all.

https://www.facebook.com/526712010807134/posts/2079469212198065?sfns=mo

Can't believe you wrote that sentence when you were the very one who ridiculed and looked down your nose at helpful suggestions and ways, on how to handle the pandemic from Europe and Dublin.

The people of the north will know who had their real interests at heart at the end of this.

He seems to think that brickies in Manchester are all on £2500 a month. It's almost like he's being disingenuous. I thought you of all people would have seen through it.

I said construction professionals not tradesmen.

They are getting much more from the government.

To start with they get higher pay plus pay less tax.

Why do you think so many wont come back to Ireland?

BTW a brickie in Manchester gets around 1000 sterling a week. So they would easily get 2500 a month.

https://www.indeed.co.uk/m/viewjob?jk=7224e7623ecab357&from=serp&prevUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.indeed.co.uk%2Fm%2Fjobs%3Fq%3DBricklayer%26l%3DManchester

20-30 years
    I said construction professionals not tradesmen.

They are getting much more from the government.

To start with they get higher pay plus pay less tax.

Why do you think so many wont come back to Ireland?

BTW a brickie in Manchester gets around 1000 sterling a week. So they would easily get 2500 a month.

https://www.indeed.co.uk/m/viewjob?jk=7224e7623ecab357&from=serp&prevUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.indeed.co.uk%2Fm%2Fjobs%3Fq%3DBricklayer%26l%3DManchester

Do I care if your hypothetical brickie comes back or not?
    It's up to the individual to make that choice.

That brickie or his construction professional counterpart won't affect the vote for a UI in either jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    A huge thank you to my nationalist and republican country folk. They have risen to the challenge of uniting as a all-ni community.

They were probably following the lead of Dublin and I doubt they see themselves as 'northern Ireland folk'. Will you credit SF for breaking with a dithering Stormont who was slavishly following the clown-show over in London? It probably saved many people's lives and resulted on less pressure on the NHS.

Will you credit SF or will do everything you can not to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years

I'm curious as to why Swann didn't put it before the executive. I bet Simon Harris (Irish Min. for Health) didn't call in the army without discussing it with his fellow cabinet members/Taoiseach and Tanaiste.

By the way, there is no love lost between the SDLP and Sinn Fein! Similar I would say to the relationship between UUP and DUP!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement