Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

jm08 wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why Swann didn't put it before the executive. I bet Simon Harris (Irish Min. for Health) didn't call in the army without discussing it with his fellow cabinet members/Taoiseach and Tanaiste.

By the way, there is no love lost between the SDLP and Sinn Fein! Similar I would say to the relationship between UUP and DUP!

Id say it’s because they are all idiots up there. I can’t understand why people would want that lot in Ireland. Not even half civilised up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

They were probably following the lead of Dublin and I doubt they see themselves as 'northern Ireland folk'. Will you credit SF for breaking with a dithering Stormont who was slavishly following the clown-show over in London? It probably saved many people's lives and resulted on less pressure on the NHS.

Will you credit SF or will do everything you can not to?

Sinn Fein have been divisive and nasty throughout this process.
    They turned it into orange and green and then tried to blame others.
    Michelle O'Neill has attacked (or as she refers to it as - calling them out) other members of the Executive, though when her own party member made a promise to the nurses that he had a shared contract with ROI for 'all the PPE they would need' - and then the contract turned out to not even exist, she wouldn't say boo, nor has she to this date.
    Whatever you take Sinn Féin Amháin to mean ("ourselves only / ourselves alone / solely us"), they are really living up to the title during the Covid crisis.

A friend said to me this week when he was reflecting on the anniversary of a local Protestant family being murdered by the IRA - he said "I would love to get inside the head of ordinary decent nationalists who continue to vote for these murdering scum". I just thought it was interesting. I have never really reflected on that question, but I have thought about it a lot since he said to me.

So no, I will not be giving Sinn Fein credit for saving lives - it's actually a just a bad joke suggest it

jm08 wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why Swann didn't put it before the executive. I bet Simon Harris (Irish Min. for Health) didn't call in the army without discussing it with his fellow cabinet members/Taoiseach and Tanaiste.

!

I can't see why he would. Conor Murphy did not feel the need to discuss with the executive that he had entered into a superdeal with ROI for PPE.

This is fast moving and ministers with responsibility must get on and do what they need to do.

The German army are delivering a large number of ventilators to the UK, I am quite sure Boris did not feel the need to ask anyone if they would be offended because we had fought them in the last war.

As most of the posts on that link earlier I gave say, people in Northern Ireland just want the bigots to wise up and get on with sorting out covid wherever the help comes from. If Sinn Fein can build us a field hospital I won't be stopping them doing it just because they slaughtered our people for fourty years

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    downcow wrote: »
    A friend said to me this week when he was reflecting on the anniversary of a local Protestant family being murdered by the IRA - he said "I would love to get inside the head of ordinary decent nationalists who continue to vote for these murdering scum". I just thought it was interesting. I have never really reflected on that question, but I have thought about it a lot since he said to me.

Can you/they not just move on?

You know the way nationalists are asked to when we bring up Bloody Sunday and its ilk...

Can you not just move on?

You know the way nationalists are asked to when we bring up Bloody Sunday and its ilk...

It was not me brought the subject up. It was your hero Michelle O'Neill who won't let things go and is getting agitated that the British Army might save some of her loved ones lives.

• Advertisement

15-20 years
    It was not me brought the subject up. It was your hero Michelle O'Neill who Let things go and is getting agitated that the British Army might save some of her loved ones lives.

The british are near entirely at fault for situation that has arisen (herd immunity anyone)....its reducing their involvement here we need to

Given their past and divise nature,i can understand objections tbh.......

The fact the arguement is over who putting up a field hospideal vs needing one in first place speaks volumes

20-30 years
    It was not me brought the subject up. It was your hero Michelle O'Neill who won't let things go and is getting agitated that the British Army might save some of her loved ones lives.

Gas.

BTW, you literally just brought it up!

The british are near entirely at fault for situation that has arisen (herd immunity anyone)....its reducing their involvement here we need to

Given their past and divise nature,i can understand objections tbh.......

The fact the arguement is over who putting up a field hospideal vs needing one in first place speaks volumes

My mind just simply does not stretch to the places your mind goes. Conor Murphy was the member of an army that I can assure you I despise every bit as much as anyone on this island despises the British Army.
    In contrast to your position, if Conor Murphys promise about PPE had been realised, I would have been very grateful and would certainly not have turned it down on the basis of his involvement in the IRA.
    This is what I mean about the challenge unionists have understanding how people vote for Sinn Fein. This is simply another demonstration of it ie how some people can have a problem with the British Army helping us at this time. Although I am reassured that the only people I can find to have a problem are Michelle O'Neill, the most extreme rump of dissident republicans, and a few very extreme posters on here - most ordinary Republicans seem to have no issue with it

Gas.

BTW, you literally just brought it up!

nonsense. i was responding to Michelle O'neill wanting to spiral this further into orange and green

15-20 years
    My mind just simply does not stretch to the places your mind goes. Conor Murphy was the member of an army that I can assure you I despise every bit as much as anyone on this island despises the British Army.
    In contrast to your position, if Conor Murphys promise about PPE had been realised, I would have been very grateful and would certainly not have turned it down on the basis of his involvement in the IRA.
    This is what I mean about the challenge unionists have understanding how people vote for Sinn Fein. This is simply another demonstration of it ie how some people can have a problem with the British Army helping us at this time. Although I am reassured that the only people I can find to have a problem are Michelle O'Neill, the most extreme rump of dissident republicans, and a few very extreme posters on here - most ordinary Republicans seem to have no issue with it

Youd be happy for conor murphy to be on front line handing out ppe??

I wouldnt ask,nor expect unionists to put up.with that (nor would i imagine the quinn family of crossmaglen would be happy with this either),otherwise your comparison deosnt work

As for not grasping,how its britsh fault,look south and how many field hospideals are being built??
    Its english incompentence/contempt has lead the.situation to where it is now,no amount of fiels hospideals are gonna change this

• Advertisement

20-30 years

[Downcow brings it up, unprompted by anyone in this thread:] A friend said to me this week when he was reflecting on the anniversary of a local Protestant family being murdered by the IRA - he said "I would love to get inside the head of ordinary decent nationalists who continue to vote for these murdering scum". I just thought it was interesting. I have never really reflected on that question, but I have thought about it a lot since he said to me.

So no, I will not be giving Sinn Fein credit for saving lives - it's actually a just a bad joke suggest it
    nonsense. i was responding to Michelle O'neill wanting to spiral this further into orange and green

Does she?

I mean, I responded yesterday and pointed out numerous places where you misrepresented the scenario and now you're going on about SF being sectarian.

It's like you are just outraged as standard now. Must be tough on the ticker.

Hahaha.
    I have just learned when the last time the British military were called in to ni to help. 2013 when farm animals were caught off due to snow.
    Thewere called in by the Agriculture Minister of the time. Yes you guessed it. Michelle O’Neill.
    And who did she consult with. Yes you guessed right again. Nobody.

What disgusting hypocrisy at such a difficult time. Funny if it wasn’t so serious.

sf are making fools of themselves over and over again on covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years
    I can't see why he would. Conor Murphy did not feel the need to discuss with the executive that he had entered into a superdeal with ROI for PPE.

Trying to hitch a lift for PPE from China by Air Lingus is not the same as deciding to bring the British Army back onto the streets of Northern Ireland.

This is fast moving and ministers with responsibility must get on and do what they need to do.

Yes, it takes a while to ask the Sec of State for NI who probably has to ask the British Gov. whether it is a good idea to send the British Army into Northern Ireland.

The German army are delivering a large number of ventilators to the UK, I am quite sure Boris did not feel the need to ask anyone if they would be offended because we had fought them in the last war.

Boris was probably too sick to ask. But I bet someone mentioned it at a cabinet meeting that it was going to happen. I bet building the Nightingale Hospitals were also discussed by the British Cabinet and even someone might have mentioned it to the Mayor of London as well.

Its a matter of respect and manners.

As most of the posts on that link earlier I gave say, people in Northern Ireland just want the bigots to wise up and get on with sorting out covid wherever the help comes from. If Sinn Fein can build us a field hospital I won't be stopping them doing it just because they slaughtered our people for fourty years

He has stated that he requested to army in so that they can distribute PPE etc. to hospitals. Is there no one else capable of doing that in Northern Ireland.

Secondly, does NI actually need a field hospital? Worth having a discussion about it at least, wouldn't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Hahaha.
    I have just learned when the last time the British military were called in to ni to help. 2013 when farm animals were caught off due to snow.
    Thewere called in by the Agriculture Minister of the time. Yes you guessed it. Michelle O’Neill.

What disgusting hypocrisy at such a difficult time. Funny if it wasn’t so serious.

Far as I can see (not having belligerent Unionist specs on) is that the time is not here yet to call in the BA.
    MON clearly says this and that they are open to anything at the right time.

As to the PPE story, we all seen what that was mainly about, Jim Allister trying to score points over a confusion in terminology. Moderate Unionism has accepted what happened nd is 'content' about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years

Swann wants the British Army to deliver PPE to different hospitals in NI. Seemingly, no one else is capable of doing this.

Are the British Army going to don scrubs and man the ventilators?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭eire4

Tbh...the way english have carried on surronding this virus,has vanished any concerns i had surronding costs

Those people are not dependable,arent fit to run their own country,no mind part of our island....whenever it is,whatever it costs for unity, the risks of another corona outbreak is too high to be letting em have a sày here again

I saw an interview with a doctor from Stanford University in the US and one of the parts of the interview that really got my attention was that she said to use a phrase "this is not the big one". She works in infectious diseases and in her opinion as bad as this pandemic is that worse is to come and we need to be better prepared if we want to have any chance at being able to contain and handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Hahaha.

If the health minister requests assistance surely he's more qualified to make that call than anyone.O'Neil should think before she opens her mouth,the old saying 'empty vessels make the most noise 'certainly applies to her!

20-30 years
    Hahaha.

Again, you still haven't read anything of that RTÉ article that started off today's disingenuous run down.

Read the article. Comment on my post on same. You're a parody of a bigot.

20-30 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    If the health minister requests assistance surely he's more qualified to make that call than anyone.O'Neil should think before she opens her mouth,the old saying 'empty vessels make the most noise 'certainly applies to her!

"O'Neill" or Michelle O'Neill is the deputy First Minister and as such is the Co-head of the Executive.

The Health Minister should inform the "bosses" shouldn't they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    Hahaha.

Show some gratitude downcow. She could have ordered you put down !;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    A friend said to me this week when he was reflecting on the anniversary of a local Protestant family being murdered by the IRA - he said "I would love to get inside the head of ordinary decent nationalists who continue to vote for these murdering scum".

SF were a minor political party in the north during the troubles while the future leader of the DUP and First Minister of the north described unionist serial killers who stalked innocent Catholics and executed them for nothing other than their religion as 'counter terrorists'.

I wonder how you could not be utterly ashamed of the people you describe as 'leaders'. The moral high-ground you think you stand on is a deep pit full of bodies of hundreds and hundreds of innocent Catholic people.

The fact you think you're the innocent party in this sordid little project you call 'our wee country' just demonstrates that you are irredeemable.

SF were a minor political party in the north during the troubles while the future leader of the DUP and First Minister of the north described unionist serial killers who stalked innocent Catholics and executed them for nothing other than their religion as 'counter terrorists'.

I wonder how you could not be utterly ashamed of the people you describe as 'leaders'. The moral high-ground you think you stand on is a deep pit full of bodies of hundreds and hundreds of innocent Catholic people.

The fact you think you're the innocent party in this sordid little project you call 'our wee country' just demonstrates that you are irredeemable.

I have never supported paisley on here but there are a few republican posters who have been telling us in recent pages how wonderful a man he was. Talk about blowing hot and cold

I have never supported paisley on here but there are a few republican posters who have been telling us in recent pages how wonderful a man he was. Talk about blowing hot and cold

Who said he was 'wonderful'?

He came to realise what his forbears and he had done. It was just relief expressed here that at least one belligerent and bigoted man realised the errors and crimes committed against a people and why they had risen up against that.
    There are no medals for that, it was about time.

20-30 years
    Who said he was 'wonderful'?

He came to realise what his forbears and he had done. It was just relief expressed here that at least one belligerent and bigoted man realised the errors and crimes committed against a people and why they had risen up against that.
    There are no medals for that, it was about time.

It shouldn't be surprising that DC can't get his head around Nationalists expressing gratitude to Paisley for realising his errors and horrors.

DC and his ilk, like all proud bigots, have an incapability of holding at least two thoughts and opinions at the same time. The world is black. The world is white.

I can't imagine he'll find his way to Damascus any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years

Not just Paisley and well you know it.

[David Irvine] personally witnessed [senior Unionist politicians] secretly conspiring with the UVF while publicly condemning such groups. "I sat there with them - I could tell you the colour of their wallpaper," he would say.

20-30 years

[David Irvine] personally witnessed [senior Unionist politicians] secretly conspiring with the UVF while publicly condemning such groups. "I sat there with them - I could tell you the colour of their wallpaper," he would say.

David Ervine is one of my political heroes.

Some may say that it is amazing that I as a Nationalist can say that.

JT and Francie would have no qualms in that statement I would say and no issue in understanding why I would think that.

His death was one of the saddest days for Irish politics. He was a giant.

My very point junkyard. I have never been a paisley admirer for that very reason. Like Gerry - in the ira but public ally denying it

David Ervine is one of my political heroes.

Some may say that it is amazing that I as a Nationalist can say that.

JT and Francie would have no qualms in that statement I would say and no issue in understanding why I would think that.

His death was one of the saddest days for Irish politics. He was a giant.

I quite admire him as well but probably for different reasons.
    In all my work with republican paramilitaries, I was always taken with their desire to debate and discuss with loyalist paramilitaries, And their easiness around them (and vice versa to a lesser degree).
    They loved meeting ex loyalist paramilitaries and the more notorious and evil the better.
    They dreaded meeting ordinary Protestants who had not been involved in killing their neighbours. I seen them sit and squirm, want out and even break down and cry when they were asked questions about the sectarian murder campaign, by ordinary people.
    Yet I watched them debate/discuss with loyalist paramilitaries and they’d laugh and pat each other on the back and generally show understanding, affirmation and respect for each and be very comfortable in each other’s presence.
    So it doesn’t surprise me that a few on here single out those loyalists involved in killing or planning the killing of their catholic neighbours for special admiration.

I guess if you go into the sex offenders wing of a prison there will be a level of respect and understanding among them, whether some were interested in boys and others in girls, or some in family or some in strangers.

Abusers are inclined to show understanding to other abusers. I guess that’s not a surprise.

This is very clear and scuppers the nonsense being peddled on here by some extreme republicans.
    And no need to shot the messenger, just try absorbing the facts. This is what we have to live with day and daily.
    https://www.facebook.com/117370764948881/posts/3168066563212604?sfns=mo

...and my local elected councillor was abused yesterday in a shop by a drunken Easter Sunday sad RA man

• Advertisement

Wow, what an explosion of rage and typical Unionist sniping here. This from somebody who edits a newspaper in Belfast mind...not some random person on boards.ie or Twitter.
    Here is an tweet from Elaine Doyle, a writer and researcher with an interest in the history of medicine, which asks a reasonable question that has even been asked on here, why the mainstream British media's inability to question and criticise the approach of the UK government.

https://twitter.com/laineydoyle/status/1249127908876128259

Lowry seems to take it as a personal, 'how dare you ctiticise your betters' assault and responds in that way. Regulars readers of his Newsletter take him to task as he seems to have a track record for this and a recognised grá for Boris and the Tories.
    https://twitter.com/BenLowry2/status/1249387300641017861

He is like Arlene..brazenly broaching no criticism at all. A classic Twitter meltdown. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement