Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    We were dealing with the scenario where ireland has been united as laid out in the GFA. The GFA is then gone, irrelevant, done. So why would I read the GFA to see what I might do in your hypothetical UI. That’s rediculous

My question was clear, Do you feel that a people who have lived on the same land for 400 (maybe 1000 years) have now got caught up for whatever reason in a nation they do not want to belong to - having had their own state foe 100 years. Are you saying the in all cases need the majority of the entire nation to agree to allow them to separate?
    And I was interested that you consider Catalonia in your answer.

Maybe you could answer that as well fionn

If you agreed to the GFA then you agreed to comply peacefully with what the majority of the people of the island want.
    That is NOT half peacefully, nor not quite entirely peacefully. If you plan non peaceful opposition to that decision then you are not pro the GFA...simple as that.
    If you wish to set up a separatist movement, you are entirely free to do that and try to find democratic support for it.

By the way...it was NOT YOUR OWN STATE...it was supposed to be a state for all. Your forebears made a hash of that because they believed it was a state ONLY for them. You once again show that you are in the same mould.

That is why you should read the GFA because that is what will happen.

Catalonia is not a similar case as the Spanish constitution blocks their independence. How they change that is up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Maybe you could respond to my original request for an apology and retraction before making further demands off me, Downcow.

I'd be quite happy to share my opinion on both Bloody Sunday and the Catalan independence movement should that be forthcoming.

Can you now acknowledge that you made a mistake, did not ask me that question at the point you accused me of avoiding it, and retract and apologise for said accusation?

Fionn You need to get over yourself. lol

If you agreed to the GFA then you agreed to comply peacefully with what the majority of the people of the island want.
    That is NOT half peacefully, nor not quite entirely peacefully. If you plan non peaceful opposition to that decision then you are not pro the GFA...simple as that.
    If you wish to set up a separatist movement, you are entirely free to do that and try to find democratic support for it.

By the way...it was NOT YOUR OWN STATE...it was supposed to be a state for all. Your forebears made a hash of that because they believed it was a state ONLY for them. You once again show that you are in the same mould.

That is why you should read the GFA because that is what will happen.

Catalonia is not a similar case as the Spanish constitution blocks their independence. How they change that is up to them.

You have take a very sectarian interpretation of my post. I regard all the people of ni who feel northern Irish as the people who would be losing their state in your scenario- all faiths and none.
    I think you are living 25 years ago. As all polls demonstrate the vast majority including all faiths and none support ni continuing

You have take a very sectarian interpretation of my post. I regard all the people of ni who feel northern Irish as the people who would be losing their state in your scenario- all faiths and none.
    I think you are living 25 years ago. As all polls demonstrate the vast majority including all faiths and none support ni continuing

All polls? I don't think you can back that up as usual.

Of course you meant the Unionist state, stop trying to fool people. If the majority vote for a UI then not ALL of the people are losing.

All polls? I don't think you can back that up as usual.

Of course you meant the Unionist state, stop trying to fool people. If the majority vote for a UI then not ALL of the people are losing.

Maybe you will show me the polls where there is a majority of people of ni want a united ireland.
    That would be much better than implying that I am wrong. There are hundreds of polls out there surely you can find one that gives you hope.
    You misread me completely. I am dedicated to supporting the current growth in a shared ni that everyone is bought into. It’s the reason I fight with my own football association to remove the playing of gstq. It’s the reason I have enjoyed watching the sf strategy of using covid to sow dissention fall disastrously apart. I have zero interest in a unionist state.

• Advertisement

Maybe you will show me the polls where there is a majority of people of ni want a united ireland.
    That would be much better than implying that I am wrong. There are hundreds of polls out there surely you can find one that gives you hope.
    You misread me completely. I am dedicated to supporting the current growth in a shared ni that everyone is bought into. It’s the reason I fight with my own football association to remove the playing of gstq. It’s the reason I have enjoyed watching the sf strategy of using covid to sow dissention fall disastrously apart. I have zero interest in a unionist state.

You said ALL polls show a VAST majority. They don't. You cannot back that up. If you can...back it up and show ALL these polls.

You cannot even look at a sign that has the Irish language on it...please stop trying to fool people that you are a moderate that is willing to 'share' a space.

You said ALL polls show a VAST majority. They don't. You cannot back that up. If you can...back it up and show ALL these polls.

You cannot even look at a sign that has the Irish language on it...please stop trying to fool people that you are a moderate that is willing to 'share' a space.
    Francie. You that it is a rediculous request you are making for me to link ALL polls here. There are hundreds and well you know it. It is very easy for you to link a couple that demonstrate that a majority in ni want a UI (or even anywhere near a majority).
    We will all have to assume that I am correct if you can’t share a single reputable poll.

As for shared space. You just don’t get it.
    My preference is for us celebrating diversity up here, but people are not yet ready to even tolerate diversity in their midst. So we have to restrict it until people are ready eg no loyalist parades in nationalist areas and no Irish signs in unionist areas. Sad but fair. I see no reason to restrict things like gaa matches, fleadhs etc as the unionist community seems happy to ignore those. I wish for the day when we unionists can go to the fleadh and truly celebrate a beautiful cultural event but one step at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    Fionn You need to get over yourself. lol

So despite your constant demands for retractions and apologies, you won't provide one yourself, won't acknowledge that you were demonstrably wrong....and resort to insulting me again, Downcow?

That humble pie must be particularly ashen

Francie. You that it is a rediculous request you are making for me to link ALL polls here. There are hundreds and well you know it. It is very easy for you to link a couple that demonstrate that a majority in ni want a UI (or even anywhere near a majority).
    We will all have to assume that I am correct if you can’t share a single reputable poll.
    Read Carefully
    You are doing the exact same thing here as you constantly do...infer that I said something I didn't.

I did not say at any point that there was 'a majority'.
    YOU SAID - 'All polls show a vast majority...', and we now know that you cannot back up any of that.
    As for shared space. You just don’t get it.
    My preference is for us celebrating diversity up here, but people are not yet ready to even tolerate diversity in their midst. So we have to restrict it until people are ready eg no loyalist parades in nationalist areas and no Irish signs in unionist areas. Sad but fair. I see no reason to restrict things like gaa matches, fleadhs etc as the unionist community seems happy to ignore those. I wish for the day when we unionists can go to the fleadh and truly celebrate a beautiful cultural event but one step at a time.

A sign in Irish only threatens your weak sense of identity and security. It is an inanimate thing...to suggest it is anything else is ridiculous.

A belligerent Orange parade (Which triumphalises military victory, hems people in and intimidates and threatens somebody's right to a peaceful existence. YOU people had to be stopped from doing that, only in areas that you cannot behave yourselves, like at the bonfire orgies of hate and bigotry, (that you describe as lads having fun at one stage iirc.) NOBODY objects to you doing it where none of the above things happen.
    Unionists do go to both GAA matches and fleadhs, I have stood beside them.

So despite your constant demands for retractions and apologies, you won't provide one yourself, won't acknowledge that you were demonstrably wrong....and resort to insulting me again, Downcow?

That humble pie must be particularly ashen

Fionn. I have simply got tired with the pettiness.
    You accused me of considering violence in response to a UI which any reader would have assumed was armed resistance
    We then went off on an elongated discussion on when is it peaceful and when violent.
    Then during this discussion I asked a question about whether Bloody Sunday protesters were violent and later expressed my view that you had avoided answering it. So you got into nonsense that the original question was not directed specifically at you, so rather than just answer it you sought retractions and apologies. All a tad childish.
    ....and don’t be trying to equate and accusation that I would be violent with an accusation that you ducked a question.

And I’ll not bother asking for a retraction and apology for your accusation that I insulted you. You must have very thin skin down there.

• Advertisement

You accused me of considering violence in response to a UI which any reader would have assumed was armed resistance
    We then went off on an elongated discussion on when is it peaceful and when violent.
    Then during this discussion I asked a question about whether Bloody Sunday protesters were violent and later expressed my view that you had avoided answering it. So you got into nonsense that the original question was not directed specifically at you, so rather than just answer it you sought retractions and apologies. All a tad childish.
    ....and don’t be trying to equate and accusation that I would be violent with an accusation that you ducked a question.

And I’ll not bother asking for a retraction and apology for your accusation that I insulted you. You must have very thin skin down there.

Who 'assumed' you meant 'armed resistance'?

You are further staking your claim to most disingenuous poster here, lashing out accusations about people not answering your questions. You asked ME about Bloody Sunday and nobody else...and now can't man up and accept it.

Now you are trying to introduce the notion that you are being accused of threatening armed resistance because you cannot man up and accept the meaning of your own words. That you 'cannot guarantee that you would remain peaceful' in the event you have to fulfill your part of an agreement you claim to support and accept.

Read Carefully
    You are doing the exact same thing here as you constantly do...infer that I said something I didn't.

I did not say at any point that there was 'a majority'.
    YOU SAID - 'All polls show a vast majority...', and we now know that you cannot back up any of that.

A sign in Irish only threatens your weak sense of identity and security. It is an inanimate thing...to suggest it is anything else is ridiculous.

A belligerent Orange parade (Which triumphalises military victory, hems people in and intimidates and threatens somebody's right to a peaceful existence. YOU people had to be stopped from doing that, only in areas that you cannot behave yourselves, like at the bonfire orgies of hate and bigotry, (that you describe as lads having fun at one stage iirc.) NOBODY objects to you doing it where none of the above things happen.
    Unionists do go to both GAA matches and fleadhs, I have stood beside them.

Francie your first point on polls. Anyone reading this would no the it would be very easy for you to post a link showing one poll that has anything other than a small minority seeking a UI.

Your second point again re cultural expression. Same old same old. Let’s equate the tamest aspect of Irish language with the worst examples of parading.
    I have asked over and over again of one example of where loyalist bands have done anything offensive or have gone anywhere they were not wanted in the past 12 months and I am still waiting. And For each one (if any) you can of find of sectarian behaviour I will give you at least two examples of gaa doing worse. And each one you find of a band parade in an area it is not wanted I will give you 10 Irish signs where they are not wanted.

You are trying to paint a very skewed picture of life in the north to your southern folk. The irony is it’s probably making them want a UI even less. Wouldn’t want one of those terrible prods about the place.

And don’t try and paint the gaa as a welcoming environment for unionists. I to have been to gaa matches and been in gaa clubs but I am confident I am the only member of my local Unionist cumminty who has been. I would be certain many many more catholics visit orange halls than Protestants do gaa clubs

Who 'assumed' you meant 'armed resistance'?

You are further staking your claim to most disingenuous poster here, lashing out accusations about people not answering your questions. You asked ME about Bloody Sunday and nobody else...and now can't man up and accept it.

Now you are trying to introduce the notion that you are being accused of threatening armed resistance because you cannot man up and accept the meaning of your own words. That you 'cannot guarantee that you would remain peaceful' in the event you have to fulfill your part of an agreement you claim to support and accept.

Thank Francie. You have again quoted me accurately (and hence no mention of the word violence) Take note fionn.

As for the question answering, look back at my most recent post. We are saying exactly the same. The quest quoted you and was part of a three way discussion including fionn. But he would prefer to eget upset than answer the question as it was too difficult.
    I think I went on to ask the question directly to him and he found he couldn’t answer it as he is still traumatised by our spat over whether the question was to him as well or not

15-20 years

BAAAAHAHAHAHA the irony is hanging off this and trailing behind it.

Your victim complex knows no bounds, Downcow. Never change.

I said that you could not guarantee that you would not respond with violence, you demanded a retraction, you were provided with a quote where you used the phrase, 'non-peaceful', I asked for an example of something which could be non-peaceful without being violent, you couldn't do that and then accused me of dodging a question (which you asked a different poster).

You accuse me of overly inferring from your phrasing, then go on to suggest that, 'violence' automatically implies armed resistance.....despite the fact that I explicitly stated I was not making any suggestions that you were talking about murder.

Whatever way you want to paint it, you're wrong and talking absolute nonsense, as always when your lack of logical consistency backs you into a corner.

Would've been so easy to acknowledge your mistake, clarify that when you said non-peaceful, you were referring to civil disobedience and criminal damage (which you seem to think isn't violent), and move on.

The, 'Dig up, stupid' scene from the Simpsons comes to mind for some reason.

Francie your first point on polls. Anyone reading this would no the it would be very easy for you to post a link showing one poll that has anything other than a small minority seeking a UI.
    Can you back up what YOU said?

I made NO claim about polls.
    Your second point again re cultural expression. Same old same old. Let’s equate the tamest aspect of Irish language with the worst examples of parading.

And you are banned from the worst examples. You people set the example...nobody made you behave that way. Nobody...absolutely nobody wants to stop you parading or expressing your Orange culture, everybody bar the most belligerent wants peaceful respectful observance of whatever your culture is. GAA and Irish culture enthusiasts the exact same.
    Yet an inanimate sign will turn you into somebody who is prepared to carry out criminal damage.

Can you not see the issue here and your own insecurity?
    I have asked over and over again of one example of where loyalist bands have done anything offensive or have gone anywhere they were not wanted in the past 12 months and I am still waiting.
    I answered you on this. We now have observance from the OO...march away to your hearts content.
    And For each one (if any) you can of find of sectarian behaviour I will give you at least two examples of gaa doing worse. And each one you find of a band parade in an area it is not wanted I will give you 10 Irish signs where they are not wanted.

You are trying to paint a very skewed picture of life in the north to your southern folk. The irony is it’s probably making them want a UI even less. Wouldn’t want one of those terrible prods about the place.

Nothing I have said is trying to paint a picture that doesn't exist.
    My partner and children are 'prods'. They have no affinity with what you are, a belligerent loyalist whose religion is actually immaterial.
    And don’t try and paint the gaa as a welcoming environment for unionists. I to have been to gaa matches and been in gaa clubs but I am confident I am the only member of my local Unionist cumminty who has been. I would be certain many many more catholics visit orange halls than Protestants do gaa clubs

You need to get out more. Many many Protestants enjoy the GAA and play it, we even had a Protestant president of the GAA during the height of the conflict/war.
    As a result of the picture you paint of your local Unionist I am not surprised that they don't feel welcome at GAA matches. I can assure you , being heavily involved here that many other Unionists do go to matches and are welcomed the same as anyone else.

Thank Francie. You have again quoted me accurately (and hence no mention of the word violence) Take note fionn.

As for the question answering, look back at my most recent post. We are saying exactly the same. The quest quoted you and was part of a three way discussion including fionn. But he would prefer to eget upset than answer the question as it was too difficult.
    I think I went on to ask the question directly to him and he found he couldn’t answer it as he is still traumatised by our spat over whether the question was to him as well or not

DON'T involve me in your squirming dis-ingenuousness and outright lies please.

BAAAAHAHAHAHA the irony is hanging off this and trailing behind it.

Your victim complex knows no bounds, Downcow. Never change.

I said that you could not guarantee that you would not respond with violence, you demanded a retraction, you were provided with a quote where you used the phrase, 'non-peaceful', I asked for an example of something which could be non-peaceful without being violent, you couldn't do that and then accused me of dodging a question (which you asked a different poster).

You accuse me of overly inferring from your phrasing, then go on to suggest that, 'violence' automatically implies armed resistance.....despite the fact that I explicitly stated I was not making any suggestions that you were talking about murder.

Whatever way you want to paint it, you're wrong and talking absolute nonsense, as always when your lack of logical consistency backs you into a corner.

Would've been so easy to acknowledge your mistake, clarify that when you said non-peaceful, you were referring to civil disobedience and criminal damage (which you seem to think isn't violent), and move on.

The, 'Dig up, stupid' scene from the Simpsons comes to mind for some reason.

Well to use the example you refused to respond to.
    I would regard the actions of the civil rights in progressing with marches that were banned as non-peaceful but not violent. It only became violent when it deteriorated into stone throwing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    I'm sorry, you stated in the post quoted above that "When this new ROI government would curtail our cultural expression..."

And I asked a question out straight:
    Why would the government of Ireland's curtail your rights? What indication have you received that this might happen?

---

Can you answer this?

Regardless of any individuals' distaste at Unionist or Nationalist cultural expression and the demonstration of same, please tell me where you got the idea that Unionist culture would be downtrodden by the State in a UI?

You didn't just make that up surely?

Any indication that the current Government of Ireland has demonstrated a willingness to assist the cultural destruction of Irish Unionists will do.

It's a pretty straightforward question. Shouldn't take long to answer.
    You’re right bonnie. It doesn’t take a long answer.
    There you go https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2006/feb/26/northernireland.ireland

....and just to save you reading it all, “....Irish police ordered loyalist marchers and their three bands onto buses and made them drive over to the Dail.”

If you want any more examples just let me know

Right... So that would be a no then.

That's fine though. I like that you brought up a 14yo Wullie Frazer bigoted and provocative protest.

Which i might add, was allowed to take place as Irish citizens' have every right to protest on the streets of their capital city and despite reservations the Gardaí have a constitution to uphold. Republic's are.like that.

But it's odd that the focus of your umbrage was that the Gardaí moved the protest on to outside the Dáil "for their safety". Obviously you didn't figure that out.

---

But back to your original statement "When this new ROI government would curtail our cultural expression..."

Any indication that the current Government of Ireland has demonstrated a willingness to assist the cultural destruction of Irish Unionists will do.

Shouldn't take too long.

15-20 years
    Well to use the example you refused to respond to.
    I would regard the actions of the civil rights in progressing with marches that were banned as non-peaceful but not violent. It only became violent when it deteriorated into stone throwing etc.

Yes, you may regard them as such, unfortunately the dictionary would disagree with you. Like I said, civil disobedience is a form of peaceful protest. You don't get to redefine words to suit your agenda.

If you must have an answer from me (on the question you have yet to acknowledge you didn't actually ask me when you accused me of dodging it), Bloody Sunday began as a peaceful protest, it devolved from there. It certainly wasn't peaceful by the end. The stories of individuals throwing stones.....obviously not peaceful, the British soldiers shooting unarmed people, obviously not peaceful. Many of the protesters did remain peaceful throughout.

Can you back up what YOU said?

I made NO claim about polls.

And you are banned from the worst examples. You people set the example...nobody made you behave that way. Nobody...absolutely nobody wants to stop you parading or expressing your Orange culture, everybody bar the most belligerent wants peaceful respectful observance of whatever your culture is. GAA and Irish culture enthusiasts the exact same.
    Yet an inanimate sign will turn you into somebody who is prepared to carry out criminal damage.

Can you not see the issue here and your own insecurity?

I answered you on this. We now have observance from the OO...march away to your hearts content.

Nothing I have said is trying to paint a picture that doesn't exist.
    My partner and children are 'prods'. They have no affinity with what you are, a belligerent loyalist whose religion is actually immaterial.

You need to get out more. Many many Protestants enjoy the GAA and play it, we even had a Protestant president of the GAA during the height of the conflict/war.
    As a result of the picture you paint of your local Unionist I am not surprised that they don't feel welcome at GAA matches. I can assure you , being heavily involved here that many other Unionists do go to matches and are welcomed the same as anyone else.

Francie you have a long journey to travel. I think I have said before that there are studies demonstrating that when a minority is under 20% they keep their heads down and pretend everything is honky dorry.
    There is loads of evidence of how the gaa is an ice cold house for unionists
    Ni football was a cold house for nationalists but still a significant minority attended matches and kept their heads down. A lot of people have worked very hard to make it a warm house for them and it has been transformed, but there is still work to do.
    You and the gaa are in a very sad place in that you still haven’t left Go and you think everything is fine.
    That’s the saddest place to be and I can only pity the gaa

• Advertisement

Yes, you may regard them as such, unfortunately the dictionary would disagree with you. Like I said, civil disobedience is a form of peaceful protest. You don't get to redefine words to suit your agenda.

If you must have an answer from me (on the question you have yet to acknowledge you didn't actually ask me when you accused me of dodging it), Bloody Sunday began as a peaceful protest, it devolved from there. It certainly wasn't peaceful by the end. The stories of individuals throwing stones.....obviously not peaceful, the British soldiers shooting unarmed people, obviously not peaceful. Many of the protesters did remain peaceful throughout.

I find you b&w approach to defining peaceful and violent non-sensical but I’m struggling to help you. Let me try again.
    If you were in a predominately Protestant bar and a few local hoods heard you were in and got the DJ to play Simply the Best and sang the UDA lines etc Would that be peaceful or non-peaceful?
    Or if the local ira band parades through my predominately nationalist town and played tunes about the killing of British soldiers would that be peaceful or non- peaceful?
    If someone paints ‘brits out’ on a wall in my town is that peaceful or non-peaceful?

Francie you have a long journey to travel. I think I have said before that there are studies demonstrating that when a minority is under 20% they keep their heads down and pretend everything is honky dorry.
    There is loads of evidence of how the gaa is an ice cold house for unionists
    Ni football was a cold house for nationalists but still a significant minority attended matches and kept their heads down. A lot of people have worked very hard to make it a warm house for them and it has been transformed, but there is still work to do.
    You and the gaa are in a very sad place in that you still haven’t left Go and you think everything is fine.
    That’s the saddest place to be and I can only pity the gaa

You are in a bubble downcow...anyone reading your posts can see it. You cling to victimhood as some sort of vain last hope.

Many protestants play GAA and have done for years and many unionists go to the games.
    I won't labour the point as there is no way of backing it up. I'm entirely happy that it isn't in anyway a cold house for my children and their protestant friends who also play it. One of the Ulster GAA's biggest sponsors is a business owned by a protestant too.
    Many many examples of similar involvement.

You are in a bubble downcow...anyone reading your posts can see it. You cling to victimhood as some sort of vain last hope.

Many protestants play GAA and have done for years and many unionists go to the games.
    I won't labour the point as there is no way of backing it up. I'm entirely happy that it isn't in anyway a cold house for my children and their protestant friends who also play it. One of the Ulster GAA's biggest sponsors is a business owned by a protestant too.
    Many many examples of similar involvement.
    That is exactly what is so sad Francie. You can’t see that there is a problem

That is exactly what is so sad Francie. You can’t see that there is a problem

There are minor local problems...but because you can't get out of that bubble you cannot see how minor they are. Victimhood again.

I find you b&w approach to defining peaceful and violent non-sensical but I’m struggling to help you. Let me try again.
    If you were in a predominately Protestant bar and a few local hoods heard you were in and got the DJ to play Simply the Best and sang the UDA lines etc Would that be peaceful or non-peaceful?
    Or if the local ira band parades through my predominately nationalist town and played tunes about the killing of British soldiers would that be peaceful or non- peaceful?
    If someone paints ‘brits out’ on a wall in my town is that peaceful or non-peaceful?

So is this what you are planning if NI disappears as it will as a territory if the majority vote in favour of unification?

Daubing some graffiti?

There are minor local problems...but because you can't get out of that bubble you cannot see how minor they are. Victimhood again.

Francie, could you name an area that there is not a problem in? this would be news to me.

and I guess if it is as open and welcoming as you say it is then county teams will reflect roughly the makeup of the county, community background, ethnicity , etc. I think that would be the test. And since you often point to the cold house that the ruc was I'm sure you will be able to evidence much better ratios in GAA.
    Or could it be you are blinded to the problem by bigotry and defending the indefensible

Francie, could you name an area that there is not a problem in? this would be news to me.

and I guess if it is as open and welcoming as you say it is then county teams will reflect roughly the makeup of the county, community background, ethnicity , etc. I think that would be the test. And since you often point to the cold house that the ruc was I'm sure you will be able to evidence much better ratios in GAA.
    Or could it be you are blinded to the problem by bigotry and defending the indefensible

Nobody said anything about the reticence to join the GAA from people who look down on it...that is a problem for those who cannot walk past a sign with Irish on it without doing criminal damage. Those whose sense of identity is under siege in their own heads.

You said it was a cold house...nobody would be turned away by the GAA...except in some small clubs were cross community relations are not good. You only need to see what happened when Arlene finally braved an Ulster final, she had a lovely day among decent people. And it was no big deal, except among her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    You can’t see that there is a problem

There is - it's your sense of entitlement to your own wee rotten sectarian statelet that had to be, bit-by-bit, dismantled. No more marching where you're not wanted, no more dominance of the institutions that were formerly for Protestants, lots of bitter tears about GAA jerseys in QUB, more tears over the Irish language and so on, and so on.

The northeast of Ireland is not 'our wee [Protestant] country' any more and never will be again - partition or not.

There is - it's your sense of entitlement to your own wee rotten sectarian statelet that had to be, bit-by-bit, dismantled. No more marching where you're not wanted, no more dominance of the institutions that were formerly for Protestants, lots of bitter tears about GAA jerseys in QUB, more tears over the Irish language and so on, and so on.

The northeast of Ireland is not 'our wee [Protestant] country' any more and never will be again - partition or not.

He more or less said it..'the state that was 'ours' for 100 years'. Tried his usual backpedalling out of it to mean that there was always a majority who felt 'Northern Irish', but it doesn't wash. The 'sense of entitlement' was and is rife.

• Advertisement

So is this what you are planning if NI disappears as it will as a territory if the majority vote in favour of unification?

Daubing some graffiti?

You have been working hard to rescue fionn I don’t expect you to answer the (any) question but I thought fionn would.
    Did you get anywhere on the gaa questions (or not)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement