Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Paul_Crosby

downcow wrote: »
    I think we have done this one to death Paul. We will agree to differ.

His head was certainly bleeding, but his blood was certainly not running through the street.
    I think anyone on here who watches the video will have no doubt that it is a PR production. That does not negate anything that happened, but viewers should be very aware that it is presenting one side in the worst possible light, and the other side as angels.
    Other posters here only need to Google and they should have no difficulty finding the unsanitised version which will show what was happening a short time before.

Show it to me

The longer version of this video was used in a British court to expose the lies of the police, those assaulted were proven to be in the right and the RUC proven to be liars, are you telling me they accepted a Sinn Fein propaganda video as evidence against their own security forces?

That "vicious gang of protestors" included a woman who had never been involved in anything in her life and was brought to court for assaulting a police woman, the video showed that she was assaulted first and it was thrown out of court.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,219 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The OO...no 'issues' with them lovely fellas until Gerry, PIRA...something something.

Excuses excuses excuses. Unreal.

Paul if you know anything about the Lower Ormeau at that time then you would know exactly who i am talking about

I suspect you were one of the lads marching that day, am I right?

The OO...no 'issues' with them lovely fellas until Gerry, PIRA...something something.

Excuses excuses excuses. Unreal.

Absolutely incredible

Paul if you know anything about the Lower Ormeau at that time then you would know exactly who i am talking about

You referring to the guy who shot Joe Bratty? I don't think you even know who the top guy in the area was at the time

But then again you clearly don't know much of anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You referring to the guy who shot Joe Bratty? I don't think you even know who the top guy in the area was at the time

But then again you clearly don't know much of anything

If you are talking about who was top IRA man and controlled the Lower Ormeau Residents Group then I have honestly no idea. I am talking about the public figurehead but it would not be fair to name him hear - but you know rightly.

If you are talking about who was top IRA man and controlled the Lower Ormeau Residents Group then I have honestly no idea. I am talking about the public figurehead but it would not be fair to name him hear - but you know rightly.

Gerard Rice is a prick, but he was never a provo, he liked to pretend he was

This whole business of fai poaching ni players pisses off a lot of people up here and further damages relationships between the two countries. An like all damaged relationships it makes it even harder for those wishing to encourage support for UI.

But fair play to michael O’Neil, a nationalist speaking out again wanting the men in the fai to stop interfering with our young boys.

Good on you Michael and thanks for the journey.
    https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/fifa-shouldnt-allow-it-michael-oneills-parting-shot-on-eligibility-row-between-northern-ireland-and-republic-39150067.html

Interesting that carrying out major non essential gas extension works is supported by sin Fein, but not grieving individuals visiting their loved ones graves. Oh I forgot, this wasn’t proposed by a unionist, that would be the difference
    https://www.facebook.com/1053711672/posts/10218634043416289?sfns=mo

• Registered Users Posts: 22,338 ✭✭✭✭Esel

This whole business of fai poaching ni players pisses off a lot of people up here and further damages relationships between the two countries. An like all damaged relationships it makes it even harder for those wishing to encourage support for UI.

But fair play to michael O’Neil, a nationalist speaking out again wanting the men in the fai to stop interfering with our young boys.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/fifa-shouldnt-allow-it-michael-oneills-parting-shot-on-eligibility-row-between-northern-ireland-and-republic-39150067.html
    So transparent...

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yeah well north have only themselves to blame. Death threats to the former Celtic playing captain of your national team? Continuing to blast out a tune which at least 35-40% don’t identify with. But yeah blame the republic for picking players who identify as Irish. We won’t even mention the billy boy and anti catholic chants which admittedly have lessened in recent years.

Interesting that carrying out major non essential gas extension works is supported by sin Fein, but not grieving individuals visiting their loved ones graves. Oh I forgot, this wasn’t proposed by a unionist, that would be the difference
    https://www.facebook.com/1053711672/posts/10218634043416289?sfns=mo

I was listening to The View last night and Mark Carruthers asked Mary Lou about this cemetery thing and she answered in a very reasonable way why they had been against the idea.
    The situation is fluid and they are being addressed by the CMO today and she said that they would be favourable to a structured and safe reopening if they proceedures where the same as they were down here. No free for all visiting yet as it is unsafe.

Not sure what the problem you have is downcow...can you back up that they proposed this 'just' because a Unionist proposed it?

Again, whenever you are ready to show us, that would be good.

Yeah well north have only themselves to blame. Death threats to the former Celtic playing captain of your national team? Continuing to blast out a tune which at least 35-40% don’t identify with. But yeah blame the republic for picking players who identify as Irish. We won’t even mention the billy boy and anti catholic chants which admittedly have lessened in recent years.

Gas rant from O'Neill given the history of this organisation. And gas that somebody would exaggerate the implications of it and politicise it...'affecting relationships between two countries' :):)

It's a game of football for goodness sake, the better team wins. Up your game NI if you wish to keep people...simple as that. It's not as if the ROI can offer easy routes to World Cup Finals or even Euro ones these days.

Gas rant from O'Neill given the history of this organisation. And gas that somebody would exaggerate the implications of it and politicise it...'affecting relationships between two countries' :):)

It's a game of football for goodness sake, the better team wins. Up your game NI if you wish to keep people...simple as that. It's not as if the ROI can offer easy routes to World Cup Finals or even Euro ones these days.

Yeah it was a nonsensical rant. Plenty footballers at 18/19 are good enough/ ready for international football. The north had actually Shane Duffy on the bench in their international squad at 17 for a friendly.

Like other sports should be a united island team to maximise qualification chances. Inevitable eventually. George Best said it was a nonsense having 2 teams.

Yeah it was a nonsensical rant. Plenty footballers at 18/19 are good enough/ ready for international football. The north had actually Shane Duffy on the bench in their international squad at 17 for a friendly.

Like other sports should be a united island team to maximise qualification chances. Inevitable eventually. George Best said it was a nonsense having 2 teams.

downcow is working hard at rooting out the bigots in NI football apparently, maybe when he is finished it might be a more attractive environment to ply your trade as a footballer?

It's only a game after all.

downcow is working hard at rooting out the bigots in NI football apparently, maybe when he is finished it might be a more attractive environment to ply your trade as a footballer?

It's only a game after all.

Michael O’Neill said he had actually no difficulty with players from the north declaring for the republic. I am sure Downcow agrees.

Michael O’Neill said he had actually no difficulty with players from the north declaring for the republic. I am sure Downcow agrees.

I absolutely agree, as does every ni fan I know. Michael is also a fan so knows the story

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    Why don’t Unionists give a United Ireland a 100 Year Trial ? ?

Sure Northern Ireland was given the 100 Year Trial and it would be very hard to say it was a Success.

What’s Sauce for the Goose is Sauce for the Gander ! !

blinding wrote: »
    Why don’t Unionists give a United Ireland a 100 Year Trial ? ?

Sure Northern Ireland was given the 100 Year Trial and it would be very hard to say it was a Success.

What’s Sauce for the Goose is Sauce for the Gander ! !

That's all it will be. At any time, if a majority can be found to go back to partition or to the UK, then so be it.

That's democracy.

10-15 years
    That's all it will be. At any time, if a majority can be found to go back to partition or to the UK, then so be it.

That's democracy.
    Time to give it a go. Sure, the Partition of Ireland was tried and it has been an absolute disaster ! !:eek::eek:

• Advertisement

blinding wrote: »
    Time to give it a go. Sure, the Partition of Ireland was tried and it has been an absolute disaster ! !:eek::eek:

It's taken them 100 years to almost fully share power and almost give everyone their rights so I am afraid it's going to have ro go to a poll and hope that everyone can remain fully peaceful with the result.

10-15 years
    It's taken them 100 years to almost fully share power and almost give everyone their rights so I am afraid it's going to have ro go to a poll and hope that everyone can remain fully peaceful with the result.
    It won’t be long now and then the Great Mistake can be Rectified ! !

I feel I am probably wasting my time responding, because you know rightly that you are only on a windup.

Some nutcase, we will never know who, made a call from a public phone box threatening him. We don't even know if it was ROI fan trying to give us some bad PR. The vast majority of Northern Ireland supporters got right behind him, but of course the press wanted to tell a different story.
    As Michael has said, no one has any problem with young people selecting to develop and play with ROI. The issue is that young men come right through the Northern Ireland system and if they turn out to be a real prospect, and are catholic, then ROI try to get them to jump across. This includes wining and dining parents.
    Thankfully very few go, and I don't think I am aware of anyone outside Derry who has gone this century - could be wrong there.

And of course to bring up nonsense like anti-Catholic chants - well it is just that, nonsense. ROI have a much greater problem with this now, with large numbers of their fans wearing celtic shirts and singing anti-Protestant songs. You will not find a Rangers shirt next or near a Northern Ireland game - thankfully.

I agree with you that there is an issue around the playing of the anthem and we need to deal with it, but at least we are talking about it which is more than the Ireland rugby team are doing

Oh deary me. Same old same old.
    Tell me anywhere else in the world for two countries can enter a joint team in the World Cup?

Oh deary me. Same old same old.
    Tell me anywhere else in the world for two countries can enter a joint team in the World Cup?

Rugby World Cup. Also north and South Korea have often fielded a joint team in Olympics events. You think Fifa would stop Ireland and the north fielding one team? Not a chance given the good Friday agreement.

We have a problem with the anthem but won’t do damn all about it. Anyone who doesn’t agree with you is a wind up merchant though you make up facts as you go along.

I feel I am probably wasting my time responding, because you know rightly that you are only on a windup.

Some nutcase, we will never know who, made a call from a public phone box threatening him. We don't even know if it was ROI fan trying to give us some bad PR. The vast majority of Northern Ireland supporters got right behind him, but of course the press wanted to tell a different story.
    As Michael has said, no one has any problem with young people selecting to develop and play with ROI. The issue is that young men come right through the Northern Ireland system and if they turn out to be a real prospect, and are catholic, then ROI try to get them to jump across. This includes wining and dining parents.
    Thankfully very few go, and I don't think I am aware of anyone outside Derry who has gone this century - could be wrong there.

And of course to bring up nonsense like anti-Catholic chants - well it is just that, nonsense. ROI have a much greater problem with this now, with large numbers of their fans wearing celtic shirts and singing anti-Protestant songs. You will not find a Rangers shirt next or near a Northern Ireland game - thankfully.

I agree with you that there is an issue around the playing of the anthem and we need to deal with it, but at least we are talking about it which is more than the Ireland rugby team are doing

Neil Lennon was booed by his own supporters in Windsor park as he had just joined Celtic. He also said he wanted a United Ireland soccer team and then gets a death threat.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/neil-lennon-pulls-out-of-match-after-death-threat-1.433972%3fmode=amp

George Best called for a United Ireland team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

10-15 years

I have never seen any proof of anti-Protestant chants by Irish football fans. I have seen a video of NI fans singing that Rangers party tune - we hate Catholics. I mean why would you need to find a Rangers shirt anywhere near an NI game, sure they hold their home games at Linfield’s ground. Probably the only stadium that comes close to Ibrox in terms of blatant sectarianism.

George Best called for a United Ireland team

Anyone who isn’t blinded by sectarianism would know it makes sense. Blazers are the issue now. Sport on this island is better served in unity as shown by our boxers rowers, golf, rugby and even cricket.

• Advertisement

armaghlad wrote: »
    I have never seen any proof of anti-Protestant chants by Irish football fans. I have seen a video of NI fans singing that Rangers party tune - we hate Catholics. I mean why would you need to find a Rangers shirt anywhere near an NI game, sure they hold their home games at Linfield’s ground. Probably the only stadium that comes close to Ibrox in terms of blatant sectarianism.

Oh but sure if you wine and dine professional footballer players you can convince them to play for you at international football. Michael o neil and the IFA would be better served addressing why someone born and raised there would rather go through the hassle of an international switch. There is hassle what with paperwork and abuse of your family who still live there. Maybe the north should spend more money on food or drink though they have no issue taking players from England or anywhere else when it suits.

I can’t imagine one player born and raised south of the border would ever switch to playing for another country. I wonder why.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement