Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    I'd rather play for England and stand under the English flag than play for the unionist team with that unionist flag they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Rugby World Cup. Also north and South Korea have often fielded a joint team in Olympics events. You think Fifa would stop Ireland and the north fielding one team? Not a chance given the good Friday agreement.

We have a problem with the anthem but won’t do damn all about it. Anyone who doesn’t agree with you is a wind up merchant though you make up facts as you go along.

I think you will find that my facts usually, when tested, turn out to be accurate.
    But let's look at your facts just misstatement alone!

I did say football, but now that you have brought rugby, who are the two countries who are allowed to enter the Rugby World Cup as one team?

'Korea have often fielded a joint team in Olympics events'. Can you tell me roughly how often this happened?

With regard to the anthem, I am continuing to work to get it removed, but it is not easy as it is the official anthem of the UK of which Northern Ireland is recognised internationally as being an integral part, even the GFA states.
    But as I continue to work added I have not heard a single poster on here who is working to get the soldier's Song removed from Ireland games. Would you campaign for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I'd rather play for England and stand under the English flag than play for the unionist team with that unionist flag they use.

Thats what I can’t understands about the norths approach. They fail to address the anthem or flag issue but attack the Fai for working perfectly within the rules just like the north do when it suits them. It’s all deflection from their own issues.

downcow wrote: »
    I think you will find that my facts usually, when tested, turn out to be accurate.
    But let's look at your facts just misstatement alone!

I did say football, but now that you have brought rugby, who are the two countries who are allowed to enter the Rugby World Cup as one team?

'Korea have often fielded a joint team in Olympics events'. Can you tell me roughly how often this happened?

With regard to the anthem, I am continuing to work to get it removed, but it is not easy as it is the official anthem of the UK of which Northern Ireland is recognised internationally as being an integral part, even the GFA states.
    But as I continue to work added I have not heard a single poster on here who is working to get the soldier's Song removed from Ireland games. Would you campaign for that?

Ireland and the north are not one country? So that’s one team in rugby World Cup.

The precedent has been set by korea. Whether it happened once or 20 times it’s irrelevant.

Who has refused to play or switched country by the playing of our anthem? That problem is all yours.

Neil Lennon was booed by his own supporters in Windsor park as he had just joined Celtic. He also said he wanted a United Ireland soccer team and then gets a death threat.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/neil-lennon-pulls-out-of-match-after-death-threat-1.433972%3fmode=amp

It is very sad what the press done with this. One nutcase, media hype, and Neil was obviously concerned for his safety - how could he know if it was genuine or not.
    Before you join with the media and blackening the good name of the Northern Ireland fans, check this video out from 1:30, it is clear what the fans and Keith Gillespie think of Neil
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNsrl7CkeYw

And it is lovely to hear Neil in 2016 constantly talk about 'we' and 'the country' when referring to Northern Ireland football team. Here is a wee sample
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMy8bCwe8uE

A very unfortunate situation, spun by the media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Paul_Crosby

Well it's more the English national anthem, Scotland and Wales have their own

It is very sad what the press done with this. One nutcase, media hype, and Neil was obviously concerned for his safety - how could he know if it was genuine or not.
    Before you join with the media and blackening the good name of the Northern Ireland fans, check this video out from 1:30, it is clear what the fans and Keith Gillespie think of Neil
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNsrl7CkeYw

And it is lovely to hear Neil in 2016 constantly talk about 'we' and 'the country' when referring to Northern Ireland football team. Here is a wee sample
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMy8bCwe8uE

A very unfortunate situation, spun by the media

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/neil-lennon-i-want-to-lead-republic-of-ireland-28630413.html

There is neil wrapped in a tricolour stating how he would love to manage the republic. Strange for someone who captained another team at international football. I wonder why.

True. It is not the anthem of the north. But was chosen to make sure those catholics knew who was in charge. While someone could understand the hatred in the 1920’s they still leave it in place.

armaghlad wrote: »
    I have never seen any proof of anti-Protestant chants by Irish football fans. I have seen a video of NI fans singing that Rangers party tune - we hate Catholics. I mean why would you need to find a Rangers shirt anywhere near an NI game, sure they hold their home games at Linfield’s ground. Probably the only stadium that comes close to Ibrox in terms of blatant sectarianism.

and you won't see a Linfield shirt either. Unlike ROI fans who wear Celtic shirts in large numbers and sing anti protestant songs

Thats what I can’t understands about the norths approach. They fail to address the anthem or flag issue but attack the Fai for working perfectly within the rules just like the north do when it suits them. It’s all deflection from their own issues.

Actually, you are right they are working within the rules. There was a gentleman's agreement though some years ago, but then when you're not dealing with gentlemen

• Advertisement

and you won't see a Linfield shirt either. Unlike ROI fans who wear Celtic shirts in large numbers and sing anti protestant songs

The most famous trophy in Irish sport is named after a Protestant 😂. Never heard anyone sung an anti-Protestant song in my life. I think it’s best not to engage any further with such a clearly Walter Mitty charachter.

Ireland and the north are not one country? So that’s one team in rugby World Cup.

The precedent has been set by korea. Whether it happened once or 20 times it’s irrelevant.

Who has refused to play or switched country by the playing of our anthem? That problem is all yours.

Ok, so were were stretching the facts somewhat by suggesting Korea do it often.

In the whole world, the only example you can find outside this island is Korea. The irony

It's not so long since you were very keen to stick to facts. So let's stick to them now. It is the anthem of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    but I personally would prefer a Northern Ireland specific sporting. GSTQ is the appropriate anthem to play at the Olympics

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/neil-lennon-i-want-to-lead-republic-of-ireland-28630413.html

There is neil wrapped in a tricolour stating how he would love to manage the republic. Strange for someone who captained another team at international football. I wonder why.

Well he must swing both ways

True. It is not the anthem of the north. But was chosen to make sure those catholics knew who was in charge. While someone could understand the hatred in the 1920’s they still leave it in place.

Is that why the blazers in the Ireland rugby setup play an anthem that is an anathema to a number of the players and many of the fans?

Ok, so were were stretching the facts somewhat by suggesting Korea do it often.

In the whole world, the only example you can find outside this island is Korea. The irony

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Korean_sporting_teams

Go knock yourself out.

As you well know and probably detest this island is usually as one in sport despite not being the one country. It’s inevitable the soccer team will go that route too.

It's not so long since you were very keen to stick to facts. So let's stick to them now. It is the anthem of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    but I personally would prefer a Northern Ireland specific sporting. GSTQ is the appropriate anthem to play at the Olympics

The guy who says Gerard Rice who couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery was the top boy who organised the "violent protests" on the Lower Ormeau road and said the video used in a British court to expose RUC lies was a "Sinn Fein propaganda piece" wants to have another go at me for not sticking to facts haha

What do you get out of humiliating yourself mate?

Well he must swing both ways

They must have given him a lot of wine and steaks. What other reason could there be? He also has called for one team.

The most famous trophy in Irish sport is named after a Protestant ��. Never heard anyone sung an anti-Protestant song in my life. I think it’s best not to engage any further with such a clearly Walter Mitty charachter.

There you go Walter, that didn't take too long, there's plenty out there, are you proud of those guys?
    https://www.tiktok.com/@bcor56
    given the size of the crowd it seems like it's culturally acceptable among the ROI fans

The guy who says Gerard Rice who couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery was the top boy who organised the "violent protests" on the Lower Ormeau road and said the video used in a British court to expose RUC lies was a "Sinn Fein propaganda piece" wants to have another go at me for not sticking to facts haha

What do you get out of humiliating yourself mate?

Says the guy, who has a mate, who is a Protestant, British soldier, who lives beside Sean Grahams bookies, and goes out to watch the parades in 1992 haha

• Advertisement

They must have given him a lot of wine and steaks. What other reason could there be? He also has called for one team.

I do not doubt that the vast majority of nationalists living in Northern Ireland would like an all island team, but lots of them are also happy to support the Northern Ireland team

There you go Walter, that didn't take too long, there's plenty out there, are you proud of those guys?
    https://www.tiktok.com/@bcor56
    given the size of the crowd it seems like it's culturally acceptable among the ROI fans

I couldn’t care less what video you show. No one in the south cares what religion one is. Catholic Protestant Muslim no one cares. No one born in the republic wants to play or supports another country. It’s not an issue.

It is an issue where you are from. You lose players and then whinge when you could make changes but refuse to do so. When you have fixed the obvious issues set out by numerous nationalist people then revert.

I couldn’t care less what video you show. No one in the south cares what religion one is. Catholic Protestant Muslim no one cares. No one born in the republic wants to play or supports another country. It’s not an issue.

It is an issue where you are from. You lose players and then whinge when you could make changes but refuse to do so. When you have fixed the obvious issues set out by numerous nationalist people then revert.

Try answering the question Walter

Tell the lads in the East Donegal NI supporters Club that.
    You are really struggling with the facts tonight Walter

Try answering the question Walter

Go change your anthem, flag and that stadium looks like something from the 1960’s. Will be a step up for you travelling south to the Aviva or for a big World Cup qualifier maybe Croker.

Tell the lads in the East Donegal NI supporters Club that.
    You are really struggling with the facts tonight Walter

We must be haemorrhageing international footballers from east Donegal. People in the south would always shout for the north despite the disgusting behaviour over the years.

Go change your anthem, flag and that stadium looks like something from the 1960’s. Will be a step up for you travelling south to the Aviva or for a big World Cup qualifier maybe Croker.

I imagine croker is a great stadium bit my experiences of Aviva were pretty dull. One end of the stadium seems to be missing and it sounds like a big library - doesn't come close to windsor

Says the guy, who has a mate, who is a Protestant, British soldier, who lives beside Sean Grahams bookies, and goes out to watch the parades in 1992 haha

Tell me where I said he was a mate? Make a lot of assumptions you do my friend, the reason I didn't press the point when you couldn't answer me was because I so thoroughly humiliated you in that argument that I actually felt sorry for you, but you said with some quick googling anybody can find out what REALLY happened that day, so indulge me.

Gerard Rice "a nasty piece of work" "top boy in the Lower Ormeau" LMAO Gerard Rice is a clown and you made him sound like Stakeknife :D:D:D were you afraid to name him in case he came after you? Since he's so threatening? :p

What a cretin you are, can't believe I almost showed you mercy

We must be haemorrhageing international footballers from east Donegal. People in the south would always shout for the north despite the disgusting behaviour over the years.

You are forgetting yourself. You said a minute ago that the people of South never support another country.

• Advertisement

Tell me where I said he was a mate? Make a lot of assumptions you do my friend, the reason I didn't press the point when you couldn't answer me was because I so thoroughly humiliated you in that argument that I actually felt sorry for you, but you said with some quick googling anybody can find out what REALLY happened that day, so indulge me.

Gerard Rice "a nasty piece of work" "top boy in the Lower Ormeau" LMAO Gerard Rice is a clown and you made him sound like Stakeknife :D:D:D were you afraid to name him in case he came after you? Since he's so threatening? :p

What a cretin you are, can't believe I almost showed you mercy

Well I think you know that I said clearly that he was not the IRA man controlling things but that he was the figurehead of LORAG, a bit like Michelle now in Sinn Fein.

Maybe it was your Protestant, British soldier, who lived in the flat above Sean Grahams Bookies, who hung his flag out for the parades, that was controlling things. That is a mystery you have not explained yet and everyone must be having a real chuckle at

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement