Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Don't mistake the Irish state for the Irish Nation. You could build a 10-feet-high wall along the border and put 100,000 British troops on it and you'd still not divide the Irish Nation. Nationhood runs deep, deeper than the current rulers/governors.

Jingoistic nonsense. I don’t meet to many nationalists that would want to fight 100,000 troops to unify the island. In fact I don’t meet too many nationalist that have not assigned the whole idea to a nice romantic notion to sing a few songs about in a bar when they’re drunk.

Someone mentioned haughey. Don’t have the time to be trawling through now to find it. I actually agree the Southern govt could have done a lot more but I am glad I grew up in a peaceful prosperous state.

So that’s it then. You lost your argument, through a few lies at me and then, rather than admit it, say, well I don’t really know if you said it.
    Ah well!

15-20 years
    downcow wrote: »
    Jingoistic nonsense. I don’t meet to many nationalists that would want to fight 100,000 troops to unify the island. In fact I don’t meet too many nationalist that have not assigned the whole idea to a nice romantic notion to sing a few songs about in a bar when they’re drunk.

Demographics clearly indicate,time has run out on the union??

There may be ground or hay to be made,pushing for semi-automany (doubt it imo),but the union is finished,it has simply run out of population to keep it afloat

• Registered Users Posts: 69,215 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There may be ground or hay to be made,pushing for semi-automany (doubt it imo),but the union is finished,it has simply run out of population to keep it afloat

Staring belligerent Unionism in the face. Boris made yet another separation down the Irish Sea and they have not been able to stop it.

'Semi-automony' is just another application of the brakes. The train won't be stopped though. Again and again the stupidity of partition for an island this size is being shown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years

Unsurprisingly - you've completely missed the point. The fact that Britain still has jurisdiction of part of our country is irrelevant to the Irish nation's sense of itself.

If the Chinese invaded and made us all speak Chinese we'd still be the Irish Nation. As a former British Prime Minster said of us:

487683.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    Maybe up North but not in the Republic. Most people I know don't want any part of a United Ireland due to the financial cost of it.

15-20 years
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Maybe up North but not in the Republic. Most people I know don't want any part of a United Ireland due to the financial cost of it.

Aye,id be wary myself costwise...up until.this virus and now,i think we need protect ourselves and everyone on the island from the english

Theres been 3 coronaviruses this century,odds are another 10 years or so,and there be another,worser again,never again should fate of people living here depend on likes of boris johnson and herd immunity type measures

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    Well this virus is going to cost us all a fortune. I've been through the banking crisis and I grew up in the hard times of the 70's and 80's. I've had enough of the hard times so when we get over the covid-19 austerity period I want that to be the end of it.

30-40 years
    i think we need protect ourselves and everyone on the island from the english

Yes, it's become a strategic issue for the Irish nation on the whole island. We shouldn't trust the British State on anything.

Former Unionists will be grand in a United Ireland, the likes of Gregory Campbell and other hateful Unionists will become irrelevant in a United Ireland as their whole existence is predicated on partition and British patronage.

15-20 years
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Well this virus is going to cost us all a fortune. I've been through the banking crisis and I grew up in the hard times of the 70's and 80's. I've had enough of the hard times so when we get over the covid-19 austerity period I want that to be the end of it.

It wont be though,if we keep leaving likes of johnson having any say here,same thing will happen it

There will be another virus in future,we cant trust english to act porperly and dup will follow em over a cliff,like chances are our lockdown will go on longer due to the sh1tshow in the north,this is directly deepening the recession coming

Imo il not think mates and relatives living there should have to put up with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

So that’s it then. You lost your argument, through a few lies at me and then, rather than admit it, say, well I don’t really know if you said it.
    Ah well!

What are you on about? I posted about Unionists deserted their fellow ulster Protestants and you replied about lack of Dublin support for the nationalist population and your childish hahaha. Dublin has never been as involved in northern affairs since 1921. They even managed to secure an economic border for the north down the Irish Sea so hahaha back at you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    Boris Johnson could be just the guy to cut the 6 Counties loose. Its costing them a fortune with nothing coming back.

They even managed to secure an economic border for the north down the Irish Sea so hahaha back at you.

And after all the sabre rattling over that and Jamie having his meetings over pubs, it looks like it's another case of 'Never Never Neve...ah well sure go on'

There is a huge and ever widening distinction between moderate Unionisn and the belligerent kind. One of them is dying out.

And after all the sabre rattling over that and Jamie having his meetings over pubs, it looks like it's another case of 'Never Never Neve...ah well sure go on'

There is a huge and ever widening distinction between moderate Unionisn and the belligerent kind. One of them is dying out.

Bryson was a mascot for team NI in Windsor recently enough . Tells you all you need to know.

30-40 years
    Unionists just about filled some hall or other to protest against 'the Betrayal Act' which is exponentially worse for Unionism than the minor 'betrayal' of the Anglo Irish Agreement (AIA). As regards the AIA Unionists collected 400,000 signatures in opposition, tens of thousands at a protest, UDR men being fired for rioting, RUC being threatened by 'their own', and so on.

If you'd told Unionists back in the 80's that they'd be sitting in Government with SF, they'd be facing different trading terms than Britain, that the ESB would own the electricity stations, that the standard of living would be far higher in the South, that the roads in the north would be in disrepair while the south had gleaming motorways they'd think it was hilarious.

Aye,id be wary myself costwise...up until.this virus and now,i think we need protect ourselves and everyone on the island from the english

Theres been 3 coronaviruses this century,odds are another 10 years or so,and there be another,worser again,never again should fate of people living here depend on likes of boris johnson and herd immunity type measures
    When you look at the deaths per million, if I was you I wouldn’t get to smug Last time I looked you were in the worst 10 countries in the world, even behind mr trumps headers. If you work out figures for the whole island then we improve your average and assist you a wee bit.

Are you really proud of your situation with covid?

It wont be though,if we keep leaving likes of johnson having any say here,same thing will happen it

There will be another virus in future,we cant trust english to act porperly and dup will follow em over a cliff,like chances are our lockdown will go on longer due to the sh1tshow in the north,this is directly deepening the recession coming

Imo il not think mates and relatives living there should have to put up with it

What planet are you living on and what news are you reading.

The ****show in the north is running at 165 deaths per million. The brain boxes who think they know more than scientists in roi are running 220+ deaths per million. And you want to blame the ****show in the north.

The avoidance of all reality on this form sometimes makes me feel like I am in a trump news conference.

Do you realise we have better figures than you? I predicted this some time ago and told you you were going to suffer the fall out from allowing thousands of Italians to visit Dublin on rugby weekend.

What are you on about? I posted about Unionists deserted their fellow ulster Protestants and you replied about lack of Dublin support for the nationalist population and your childish hahaha. Dublin has never been as involved in northern affairs since 1921. They even managed to secure an economic border for the north down the Irish Sea so hahaha back at you.

You made an accusation that I was blaming haughy for stuff and it was just lies from someone who had lost argument

15-20 years
    When you look at the deaths per million, if I was you I wouldn’t get to smug Last time I looked you were in the worst 10 countries in the world, even behind mr trumps headers. If you work out figures for the whole island then we improve your average and assist you a wee bit.

Are you really proud of your situation with covid?

Im not,we're terrible bad,but its along way short of whats accepted as uk figure of 41K,estimated middle of last week

They have covered up 20K deaths,upto 500 in the north,the dup have lead people off a cliff following the english,this cant be allowed happen again

Too many have died at hands of boris johnson administration to ever let them have a say on our island again

Im not,we're terrible bad,but its along way short of whats accepted as uk figure of 41K,estimated middle of last week

They have covered up 20K deaths,upto 500 in the north,the dup have lead people off a cliff following the english,this cant be allowed happen again

Too many have died at hands of boris johnson administration to ever let them have a say on our island again

He’s the PM
    Here’s how it works. Your PM has a say in your country
    That’s like saying the tsaucht will never again have a say in roi

• Advertisement

He’s the PM
    Here’s how it works. Your PM has a say in your country
    That’s like saying the tsaucht will never again have a say in roi

This is the poster pretending he is a moderate but still thinks he is getting one over. :)

Complains about his sates name being disrespected and yet cannot bring himself to spell an Irish name correctly.

Mask just cannot help slipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,338 ✭✭✭✭Esel

That's downsow all over...

Not your ornery onager

30-40 years
    If you work out figures for the whole island then we improve your average and assist you a wee bit.

1. It's suspected that the numbers of CV19 deaths in the north are twice that of the south. The south is publishing all CV19 deaths while the north is just reporting hospital deaths

Here check out British ITV News for inconvenient truths.

511140.png

2. SF broke ranks with the Unionist sheep following the idiot-shepherd BoJo and his shower of clowns in government. The number in the north might have been much worse only for SF and the people paying attention to what was happening in the South.

3. I'm not overly fond of Leo but he is a qualified medical Doctor, what is Boris Johnson exactly, other than a privileged clown who has led a charmed life?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    Bryson was a mascot for team NI in Windsor recently enough . Tells you all you need to know.
    Was he in Hot Pants or Short Pants ? ?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

They have covered up 20K deaths, upto 500 in the north,the dup have lead people off a cliff following the english,this cant be allowed happen again

Oh dear, where to start...

Blaming the English & Boris Johnson doesn't help, because you can just as easily blame the Scots & Nicola Sturgeon who have had the same Covid policy as "The English" since kick off.

Alternatively one might argue that Scotland being on the same island as England & Wales should have chosen to take a different path to England, but they chose not too. Compare that to all the feckin bleating by Sinn Fein on this island who constantly complain about NI following the rest of the UK & the NHS in their approach to this pandemic.

Is this really the time for SF to be playing the unification card in the middle of this worldwide crisis?

....then again, I've just realised that the very same thing happened in the middle of WWI with the Easter Rising, while the whole world was tied up & with the Great War, so maybe this is the time for the Shinners to try and pull NI out of the UK?

Northern Ireland is free to follow Westminster guidelines, Edinburgh guidelines, Dublin guidelines or German guidelines should it wish, and they've decided to stick with the logical route for them (with the NHS/UK) approach in their battle with Covid-19.

1. It's suspected that the numbers of CV19 deaths in the north are twice that of the south. The south is publishing all CV19 deaths while the north is just reporting hospital deaths

Here check out British ITV News for inconvenient truths.

511140.png

2. SF broke ranks with the Unionist sheep following the idiot-shepherd BoJo and his shower of clowns in government. The number in the north might have been much worse only for SF and the people paying attention to what was happening in the South.

3. I'm not overly fond of Leo but he is a qualified medical Doctor, what is Boris Johnson exactly, other than a privileged clown who has led a charmed life?

Can we have the link to your screenshot? I am sure you wouldn’t misrepresent anything but I just want to check that this is current situation?

Oh dear, where to start...

Blaming the English & Boris Johnson doesn't help, because you can just as easily blame the Scots & Nicola Sturgeon who have had the same Covid policy as "The English" since kick off.

Alternatively one might argue that Scotland being on the same island as England & Wales should have chosen to take a different path to England, but they chose not too. Compare that to all the feckin bleating by Sinn Fein on this island who constantly complain about NI following the rest of the UK & the NHS in their approach to this pandemic.

Is this really the time for SF to be playing the unification card in the middle of this worldwide crisis?

....then again, I've just realised that the very same thing happened in the middle of WWI with the Easter Rising, while the whole world was tied up & with the Great War, so maybe this is the time for the Shinners to try and pull NI out of the UK?

Northern Ireland is free to follow Westminster guidelines, Edinburgh guidelines, Dublin guidelines or German guidelines should it wish, and they've decided to stick with the logical route for them (with the NHS/UK) approach in their battle with Covid-19.

Excellent summary

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

15-20 years
    Can we have the link to your screenshot? I am sure you wouldn’t misrepresent anything but I just want to check that this is current situation?

Long time lurker on this thread, and I do not know how some of the guys honestly stay sane with the disingenuous pedantry that goes on in it from those of a unionist background.

I mean here we have you asking for a link to something that's linked to - quite clearly, in the actual post you quoted.

You click on the link to itv news, and you in turn then press play, when the video plays you skip forward to 46secs in as can also be clearly seen in the screenshot you just posted.

Took me all of 3 secs.

Here is the link from JYT post.
    https://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-27/has-ireland-made-a-better-job-of-responding-to-coronavirus-than-the-uk/

Here is the screenshot I was able to capture seconds after clicking on the link

Screenshot-2020-04-28-07-27-57-534-com-android-chrome.jpg

You made an accusation that I was blaming haughy for stuff and it was just lies from someone who had lost argument

You are ‘lying’ about losing an argument. Oh and Bryson a mascot for team NI and singing the billy boys on tour. What a perfect fit.

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    Long time lurker on this thread, and I do not know how some of the guys honestly stay sane with the disingenuous pedantry that goes on in it from those of a unionist background.

I mean here we have you asking for a link to something that's linked to - quite clearly, in the actual post you quoted.

You click on the link to itv news, and you in turn then press play, when the video plays you skip forward to 46secs in as can also be clearly seen in the screenshot you just posted.

Took me all of 3 secs.

Here is the link from JYT post.
    https://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-27/has-ireland-made-a-better-job-of-responding-to-coronavirus-than-the-uk/

Here is the screenshot I was able to capture seconds after clicking on the link

Screenshot-2020-04-28-07-27-57-534-com-android-chrome.jpg
    Unfortunately the prejudice and bigotry is looking out of you.
    The fact that the link won’t work for me and I asked the poster to repost it is reason for you to attack unionists.
    You need to take a long look at you bitterness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement