Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You are ‘lying’ about losing an argument. Oh and Bryson a mascot for team NI and singing the billy boys on tour. What a perfect fit.

Munsterthread.
    Straight question. Did you accuse me of some haughy claims? And was your claim true? Simple!
    Secondly, I guess you know rightly how disingenuous you are being about the mascot issues. But in case anyone is being misled by you.

1) ifa have a mascot that is fully covered, funny head and all.
    2) before there was ever a city hall flags dispute and before Bryson was ever heard of in the media he was on work experience in the ifa
    3) not sure exactly but he was either a teenage kid or he was just out off his teenage years
    4) ifa had a regular person dressed up and a backup. Regular couldn’t do it and back took ill
    5) a few staff were asked to do it and all said no but a couple said the young work experience lad Jamie is good craic and would be Up for it
    6) hence Bryson done it

So wise up with the silly nonsense and pathetic attempts at points scoring.

Compare that to the ceo of the roi football association singing rebel songs, or the roi team playing songs on their team coach about killing policemen.

Some people need to get real on here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

15-20 years
    downcow wrote: »
    Unfortunately the prejudice and bigotry is looking out of you.
    The fact that the link won’t work for me and I asked the poster to repost it is reason for you to attack unionists.
    You need to take a long look at you bitterness.

Of course the link that works (for everyone else) wouldn't work for you. Maybe it's a bigoted link that only works for non unionist posters.

As I said disingenuous pedantry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Munsterthread.
    Straight question. Did you accuse me of some haughy claims? And was your claim true? Simple!
    Secondly, I guess you know rightly how disingenuous you are being about the mascot issues. But in case anyone is being misled by you.

1) ifa have a mascot that is fully covered, funny head and all.
    2) before there was ever a city hall flags dispute and before Bryson was ever heard of in the media he was on work experience in the ifa
    3) not sure exactly but he was either a teenage kid or he was just out off his teenage years
    4) ifa had a regular person dressed up and a backup. Regular couldn’t do it and back took ill
    5) a few staff were asked to do it and all said no but a couple said the young work experience lad Jamie is good craic and would be Up for it
    6) hence Bryson done it

So wise up with the silly nonsense and pathetic attempts at points scoring.

Compare that to the ceo of the roi football association singing rebel songs, or the roi team playing songs on their team coach about killing policemen.

Some people need to get real on here

We ain’t the team losing players and whinging about it. You live in cloud cuckoo land in somehow comparing the republic as an issue when the north remains sectarian to its core. of course that is not just unionists fault but rather than have such an infatuation with Amhran na Bhfiann I would suggest you clean up your own house first.

You believe in some fanciful way that you might have a union with just Scotland? Are you on some sort of medication?

McMurphy wrote: »
    Of course the link that works (for everyone else) wouldn't work for you. Maybe it's a bigoted link that only works for non unionist posters.

As I said disingenuous pedantry.

I couldn’t have described your input any better myself.

We ain’t the team losing players and whinging about it. You live in cloud cuckoo land in somehow comparing the republic as an issue when the north remains sectarian to its core. of course that is not just unionists fault but rather than have such an infatuation with Amhran na Bhfiann I would suggest you clean up your own house first.

You believe in some fanciful way that you might have a union with just Scotland? Are you on some sort of medication?

What are you talking about?

• Advertisement

I will continue working to remove gstq from ni games and to ensure it remains the most inclusive international football experience on this island. You should try and catch up and follow Uefas advice to try and remove sectarianism from roi games. You have a bit of work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

15-20 years
    I couldn’t have described your input any better myself.

fairplay to anyone who has the patience to engage with this kind of nonsense - a completely disingenious poster, who knows no shame.

Note how he has pivoted to originally asking for a link to a screenshot to something, when pointed out the link was already in the post he quoted, but provided with another one regarless, he goes off now and changes tact to try and claim someone is a bigot or prejudiced for pointing out the obvious.

No further discussion of the screenshot proving exactly what he doubted to begin with.

**exits thread again, life's too short**

I will continue working to remove gstq from ni games and to ensure it remains the most inclusive international football experience on this island. You should try and catch up and follow Uefas advice to try and remove sectarianism from roi games. You have a bit of work to do.

Remains? Are you on drugs? I have never heard of one player refusing to play for us due to our anthem and flag. Your IFA buddies are too afraid to face down the ‘I hate catholic’s’ and billy boys mob. That’s the reality.

I went up north last summer and it was sad to see flags everywhere in tourist spots. Carrickfergus and it’s banners was particularly distasteful. We are light years ahead as a society down here.

15-20 years
    Oh dear, where to start...

Blaming the English & Boris Johnson doesn't help, because you can just as easily blame the Scots & Nicola Sturgeon who have had the same Covid policy as "The English" since kick off.
    England makes the decisons for the uk,they vote brexit,it geos through,to best my knowledge there noone from NI in british cabinet (nor indeed scotland)which made the herd immunity decision??
    Alternatively one might argue that Scotland being on the same island as England & Wales should have chosen to take a different path to England, but they chose not too. Compare that to all the feckin bleating by Sinn Fein on this island who constantly complain about NI following the rest of the UK & the NHS in their approach to this pandemic.

There is literally hundreds of our people dead over english incompetemc,there is no arguement to be had here,no more people on our island should be subject to their incompetence
    Is this really the time for SF to be playing the unification card in the middle of this worldwide crisis?

....then again, I've just realised that the very same thing happened in the middle of WWI with the Easter Rising, while the whole world was tied up & with the Great War, so maybe this is the time for the Shinners to try and pull NI out of the UK?

When this is over,we need to save our people in NI,its really as simple as this,drooling on about 1916 and ww1 while people dying in their droves here, catch a hold of yourself
    Northern Ireland is free to follow Westminster guidelines, Edinburgh guidelines, Dublin guidelines or German guidelines should it wish, and they've decided to stick with the logical route for them (with the NHS/UK) approach in their battle with Covid-19.

Stormont deosnt work,the dup have drove it over a cliff to follow the english and now hundreds are dead,the way they've carried on,the english arent fit to rule themselves,no mind parr of our island

1. It's suspected that the numbers of CV19 deaths in the north are twice that of the south. The south is publishing all CV19 deaths while the north is just reporting hospital deaths

Here check out British ITV News for inconvenient truths.

511140.png

2. SF broke ranks with the Unionist sheep following the idiot-shepherd BoJo and his shower of clowns in government. The number in the north might have been much worse only for SF and the people paying attention to what was happening in the South.

3. I'm not overly fond of Leo but he is a qualified medical Doctor, what is Boris Johnson exactly, other than a privileged clown who has led a charmed life?

Mc Murphy has got himself very agitated bout me asking a poster to repost a link which I couldn’t open. Fair play to original poster for not jumping on mcmurphy’s disingenuous bandwagon.
    Could I ask a favour of a few posters out there. Have a go at opening this link attached and tell me does it play for you.
    If it does then I will apologise for my IT skills. If it doesn’t then mcmurphy would need to work on his prejudice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,215 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Compare that to all the feckin bleating by Sinn Fein on this island who constantly complain about NI following the rest of the UK & the NHS in their approach to this pandemic.

Is this really the time for SF to be playing the unification card in the middle of this worldwide crisis?

....then again, I've just realised that the very same thing happened in the middle of WWI with the Easter Rising, while the whole world was tied up & with the Great War, so maybe this is the time for the Shinners to try and pull NI out of the UK?

Northern Ireland is free to follow Westminster guidelines, Edinburgh guidelines, Dublin guidelines or German guidelines should it wish, and they've decided to stick with the logical route for them (with the NHS/UK) approach in their battle with Covid-19.

Compare 'what' to all the 'bleating by Sinn Fein'?

The Scots and Welsh are 'free' to do as they please and they happen to be following the English this time. It's an entirely different story when you look at Brexit for instance.
    SF do what they believe is best for the 'island' as far as I can see, as they are an 'All Ireland' party. They were willing to initially go with Westminster then got pilloried for changing their minds when they realised/got advised it was bat**** crazy to continue. If it was the 'army council' as alleged then fairs dues to the Army Council imo. :)

So when you are done making useless comparisons to a different age and set of circumstances please explain in terms of a virus that does not respect borders of the colours in a flag, how following a very different strategy on a different fecking island is more sensible than an all-island strategy?

Remains? Are you on drugs? I have never heard of one player refusing to play for us due to our anthem and flag. Your IFA buddies are too afraid to face down the ‘I hate catholic’s’ and billy boys mob. That’s the reality.

I went up north last summer and it was sad to see flags everywhere in tourist spots. Carrickfergus and it’s banners was particularly distasteful. We are light years ahead as a society down here.

So yous don’t put up flags and bunting. Or could it be that those flags and bunting are not a chill factor to you so they are acceptable?

England makes the decisons for the uk,they vote brexit,it geos through,to best my knowledge there noone from NI in british cabinet (nor indeed scotland)which made the herd immunity decision??

There is literally hundreds of our people dead over english incompetemc,there is no arguement to be had here,no more people on our island should be subject to their incompetence

When this is over,we need to save our people in NI,its really as simple as this,drooling on about 1916 and ww1 while people dying in their droves here, catch a hold of yourself

Stormont deosnt work,the dup have drove it over a cliff to follow the english and now hundreds are dead,the way they've carried on,the english arent fit to rule themselves,no mind parr of our island

Strange that there is so few choose UI in polls if you are correct. Maybe you know better than the people who live here

So yous don’t put up flags and bunting. Or could it be that those flags and bunting are not a chill factor to you so they are acceptable?[/quote

Don’t even try and compare the naked sectarian hatred up there and here. Even a few English people from Leeds said to me unprompted it’s over the top and laughed.

If a village put out a banner down here trying to goad its neighbours about people killed in another area it wouldn’t last long. Such sad twisted people.

Don’t even try and compare the naked sectarian hatred up there and here. Even a few English people from Leeds said to me unprompted it’s over the top and laughed.

If a village put out a banner down here trying to goad its neighbours about people killed in another area it wouldn’t last long. Such sad twisted people.

downcow thinks that nobody can recognise when a fleg is put up to taunt or triumphalise. He thinks that is 'cultural expression'.

The issues he has with this are very deep rooted.

So yous don’t put up flags and bunting. Or could it be that those flags and bunting are not a chill factor to you so they are acceptable?[/quote

I was n't comparing the two countries. That would be ridiculous. The country I live in is coming to terms with a viscous sectarian conflict where 3,000 people died and 50,000 were injured and some still carrying severe injuries. So obviously the sectarianism is more evident here.

I was challenging your blinkers, you only ever seem to see offense caused by one side.

I know that the decorations put up in loyalist areas are a chill factor and mark territory, just the same as those put up in republican areas for GAA teams etc.
    could you ever get some empathy and try to understand

Mc Murphy has got himself very agitated bout me asking a poster to repost a link which I couldn’t open. Fair play to original poster for not jumping on mcmurphy’s disingenuous bandwagon.
    Could I ask a favour of a few posters out there. Have a go at opening this link attached and tell me does it play for you.
    If it does then I will apologise for my IT skills. If it doesn’t then mcmurphy would need to work on his prejudice.

Clicking on a link is hardly an 'IT' skill.

Working fine here. Here is a screenshot as the reporter finishes up his report.

511156.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I wonder does population density play a part in the Covid numbers game? Parts of the UK do of course have much more densly populated cities and regions than the ROI. London for example has twice the population of the Republic!

In addition to population density, London and the South East is also a massive hub for international travel, so maybe the virus spreads easier in this situation?

Every country in the world has its own circumstances. New Zealand (for example) have things well & truly under control, but their nearest neighbour is 1200 miles away, they also stopped all non nationals from entering their territory early on .......

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    blinding wrote:
    Boris Johnson could be just the guy to cut the 6 Counties loose. Its costing them a fortune with nothing coming back.
    And if he does then let them set up on their own. We can have the current no border set up if they join the EU.
    And if you are living my up there and not happy with it then tough ****. Move down south if that makes you feel better.

What hasn't gotten much attention because of Covid is that FF and FG are now trying to get on a bandwagon which is only going in one direction. I would suspect they have been given the nod that a border poll is iminient in the inter-governmental conferences and privately.
    “We will establish a unit within the Department of An Taoiseach (prime minister) to work towards a consensus on a united island ... examining the political, social, economic and cultural considerations underpinning a future in which all traditions are mutually respected.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

The way I see it, most of Europe and the rest of the world for that matter is much the same with regards covid, +/- of course.

The shining lights seem to be Germany and South Korea. Probably others as well but I'm not following it that closely now TBH.

We should be asking, sorry no, demanding, that all our governments do everything they can to get to those sorts of levels of deaths / control whatever you call it.

I was n't comparing the two countries. That would be ridiculous. The country I live in is coming to terms with a viscous sectarian conflict where 3,000 people died and 50,000 were injured and some still carrying severe injuries. So obviously the sectarianism is more evident here.

I was challenging your blinkers, you only ever seem to see offense caused by one side.

I know that the decorations put up in loyalist areas are a chill factor and mark territory, just the same as those put up in republican areas for GAA teams etc.
    could you ever get some empathy and try to understand

I mention distasteful and unnecessary flags and banners in carrickfergus. You say you have flags in the south too. I say you can’t compare the sectarian hatred in banners up there with down here. Then you state you weren’t comparing.

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I mention distasteful and unnecessary flags and banners in carrickfergus. You say you have flags in the south too. I say you can’t compare the sectarian hatred in banners up there with down here. Then you state you weren’t comparing.

The mind boggles.

And yet Sinn Fein demands that the island be united as one, so imagine the fun we'd have with the banners then....they have theirs and we have ours, two tribes, two different territories, two flags, two cultures, two countries one island, and that's the way it will stay (unless we want trouble).

And yet Sinn Fein demands that the island be united as one, so imagine the fun we'd have with the banners then....they have theirs and we have ours, two tribes, two different territories, two flags, two cultures, two countries one island, and that's the way it will stay (unless we want trouble).

And Unionists demand the island should be partitioned. Are you saying that any border poll where there is a democratic majority for a unified Ireland should be ignored so as to not upset a sectarian minority?

Interesting that not many on here mentioning flags and anthems at GAA matches.

Or of it only sectarianism when it's the other side's flag?

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Interesting that not many on here mentioning flags and anthems at GAA matches.

Or of it only sectarianism when it's the other side's flag?

That's a bit like saying that those waving flags at the Olympics or The FA Cup final are doing the same thing as what goes on in NI.

Complete head in the sand going on here to compare flagwaving at a GAA match with it.
    Take some ownership for the problem. It exists on both sides of the divide but to a far greater degree within insecure belligerent Unionism.

That's a bit like saying that those waving flags at the Olympics or The FA Cup final are doing the same thing as what goes on in NI.

Complete head in the sand going on here to compare flagwaving at a GAA match with it.
    Take some ownership for the problem. It exists on both sides of the divide but to a far greater degree within insecure belligerent Unionism.

Yeah it is insecurity if we wave flags we will prove our Britishness. How long does the marching season actually last? It’s laughable. Fine have a day and march away but seems to be incessant for the summer.

Absolute rubbish.
    The participation levels of those from a unionist background in the GAA in NI is incredibly low.

Absolute rubbish.
    The participation levels of those from a unionist background in the GAA in NI is incredibly low.

The GAA was founded to prevent Irish culture being eroded and stamped out by British rule. Unionists wouldn’t even consent to an Irish language act until recently. I think Unionist culture to denigrate anything Irish would play a much bigger part in lack of gaa participation.

• Advertisement

Absolute rubbish.

And people using GAA flags are not doing it to mark territory or taunt. They are doing something perfectly normal in society...supporting their team. Just like somebody waving a union jack at the Oltmpics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement