Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

15-20 years
    My God.

Are you for real? If ever we needed confirmation of your clear objective in this thread then we got it from that misspelling.

At least he didn't say Teashop !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    downcow wrote: »
    Can we have the link to your screenshot? I am sure you wouldn’t misrepresent anything but I just want to check that this is current situation?

Can you not see the ITV news bug in the corner?

Do you reckon he photoshopped that in?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,338 ✭✭✭✭Esel

His gut is well curried.

Not your ornery onager

20-30 years
    Unfortunately the prejudice and bigotry is looking out of you.
    The fact that the link won’t work for me and I asked the poster to repost it is reason for you to attack unionists.
    You need to take a long look at you bitterness.

So I guess you clicked on the link above as McMurphy suggested and saw the facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Absolutely rediculous. The gaa is the biggest sporting organisation on this island. The most famous cup is named after a Protestant. What catholic trappings have the OO?

Sectarianism means a hell of a lot more than religion.
    Political and cultural differences are also included.

Few links for you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sectarianism

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/sectarian

https://www.niacro.co.uk/sites/default/files/publications/02%20Defining%20Sectarianism%20and%20Sectarian%20Hate%20Crime.pdf

• Advertisement

20-30 years
    Mc Murphy has got himself very agitated bout me asking a poster to repost a link which I couldn’t open. Fair play to original poster for not jumping on mcmurphy’s disingenuous bandwagon.
    Could I ask a favour of a few posters out there. Have a go at opening this link attached and tell me does it play for you.
    If it does then I will apologise for my IT skills. If it doesn’t then mcmurphy would need to work on his prejudice.

It worked for me.

511186.png

But even if it didn't work, you could have read the article and seen the following text therein:
    But taking hospital deaths (up to April 24) as a pretty robust measure, he has found a rate of 147 per million in Northern Ireland compared to 82 per million in Ireland.

So tell me, have you informed yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    So why did a Fermanagh catholic end up in a different country? Was he/she different to a Cavan catholic?
    It doesn't matter where they came from, they were never part of a United Ireland.
    If they wanted to be part of the Republic they should have moved at the time.

20-30 years
    eagle eye wrote: »
    And if he does then let them set up on their own. We can have the current no border set up if they join the EU.
    And if you are living my up there and not happy with it then tough ****. Move down south if that makes you feel better.

So you're suggesting mass movements of people from their homes to further entrench sectarianism and tribalism?

Cromwell would be proud.

20-30 years
    What hasn't gotten much attention because of Covid is that FF and FG are now trying to get on a bandwagon which is only going in one direction. I would suspect they have been given the nod that a border poll is iminient in the inter-governmental conferences and privately.

I posted it in here sure.

It got all the attention from our panicked party of one as you'd expect.

Blanch dismissed it too. So you know the panic is setting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,210 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It doesn't matter where they came from, they were never part of a United Ireland.
    If they wanted to be part of the Republic they should have moved at the time.

Simple as that? :)

So 100 years later if a majority vote for a UI you will be telling Unionists to go live in the UK if you want to be part of it?

Is that correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Sinbad_NI wrote: »

No superiority complex in the GAA. As for the OO it’s whole existence is based on it.

20-30 years
    Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish.
    The participation levels of those from a unionist background in the GAA in NI is incredibly low.

And is that all down to flags and anthems or just "couldn't be bothered"?

You can't force people to play sports they don't want to.

20-30 years
    Was this island ever one country? Like we were under British rule, then we got a 26 county Republic.
    Before British rule wasn't it split into four provinces with separate Kings?

Like there are many countries in mainland Europe. You don't hear about them looking to unite into one country, it's the other way it's going where there are splits and more countries. Even in the UK mainland there are three countries and while they are all ruled by the one government presently they still have their own lands.

NI going on its own is the best solution for all I think, that's if there is going to be change.

If there's a movement for an independent statelet then off they go. Nothing is stopping it, except lack of interest.

Thankfully such insanity isn't an option at present.

20-30 years
    Sounds like the Orange Order for Irishmen that you are describing

But the Orange Order is also for Irishmen. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

And is that all down to flags and anthems or just "couldn't be bothered"?

You can't force people to play sports they don't want to.

Sure as hell doesn’t help!

But yeah, no issue here, open to all. Just stand there for this wee anthem.

Can imagine a conversation at the match.... so will you be going to “insert whatever sporting event you want here”, **** no way, sure they play GSTQ at the start of it for feck sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Was this island ever one country? Like we were under British rule, then we got a 26 county Republic.
    Before British rule wasn't it split into four provinces with separate Kings?

Like there are many countries in mainland Europe. You don't hear about them looking to unite into one country, it's the other way it's going where there are splits and more countries. Even in the UK mainland there are three countries and while they are all ruled by the one government presently they still have their own lands.

NI going on its own is the best solution for all I think, that's if there is going to be change.

Good post...

Yes this island was united, but only when part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland, both island in harmony, then the "Free State" broke away, leaving Northern Ireland behind together with the rest of these islands.

Ironically, Scotland sees no reason why the island of Britain should be one nation, hence it may very well break away from England & Wales, while at the same time on this island the argument seems to be the polar opposite!

Why have two jurisdictions inhabiting the same island :cool:

Good post...

Yes this island was united, but only when part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland, both island in harmony, then the "Free State" broke away, leaving Northern Ireland behind together with the rest of these islands.

Ironically, Scotland sees no reason why the island of Britain should be one nation, hence it may very well break away from England & Wales, while at the same time on this island the argument seems to be the polar opposite!

So you tell us.
    What was the difference between a Fermanagh catholic and a Cavan one? What was the difference even, between a Cavan protestant and a Fermanagh one?

I'll answer for you...there was NO difference.

Yet 100 years later you guys are trying to suggest that there is something natural about partition, a partition that is only struggling along because two sovereign government have an international agreement on how it should be governed.

So you tell us.
    What was the difference between a Fermanagh catholic and a Cavan one? What was the difference even, between a Cavan protestant and a Fermanagh one?

I'll answer for you...there was NO difference.

Well indeed, No difference is correct, but then you could say that about anyone straddling a border anywhere in the world. What's the difference between Swiss Catholic Vs German Catholic, two families straddling the German/Swiss border. Two jurisdictions, two different governments, two different languages etc etc . . .

Borders happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    So 100 years later if a majority vote for a UI you will be telling Unionists to go live in the UK if you want to be part of it?
    No, I'll he voting against a United Ireland. I care about my pocket and bank account above some stupid notion that we were once a united Ireland.
    I'm confident that the republic will vote against a United Ireland for financial and security reasons. Nobody wants trouble down south, everybody wants to be in good financial shape.

Well indeed, No difference is correct, but then you could say that about anyone straddling a border anywhere in the world. What's the difference between Swiss Catholic Vs German Catholic, two families straddling the German/Swiss border. Two jurisdictions, two different governments, two different languages etc etc . . .

Borders happen.

I have no interest in what makes a Swiss or German different especially.

What I do know on this island is that partition has been a tragic disaster for it and that Brexit and Covid have shown that it is not going to improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Man City fans don't go to old Trafford and have bile and hare thrown at their "community".

It is nothing at all the same as how 100 years on the IFA representative team is a cold house for Nationalists.

To keep blaming the FAI for your own fúck ups says it all.

Why "should" young Nationalists support the FAI team and not the ROI, the team of their own country as they see it?

Why do you care?

I have said many times that young Nationalists decision to support FAI team should be respected by all. No way do Northern Ireland either need or want people supporting the team who do not love the Northern Ireland

"Carry out their civil right"

Do you think the Gardaí should gave left them on O'Connell St to get rocks thrown at them?

You're ridiculous. Anyway, we'll leave it there as you're clearly deluded.

I was responding to a question about providing evidence that Unionist culture was ever curtailed in ROI. I give this simple example. Had it been up north DPS and I would have upheld the group abiding by the law and moved the lawbreakers aside. If you do not/cannot do that then your country is in trouble

I have no interest in what makes a Swiss or German different especially.

What I do know on this island is that partition has been a tragic disaster for it and that Brexit and Covid have shown that it is not going to improve.

I suppose I'm playing devils advocate here, trying to see the point of view from the other side and how they see things. NI Unionists see themselves as British & part of the wider British family, they don't want to be part of our State.

Simples as that, we on the other hand have this never ending yearning for them to relinquish their Britishness and to become like us, as one Nation under the Tricolour, yet they don't want that.

So I guess this argument will go on for ever.

Absolutely rediculous. The gaa is the biggest sporting organisation on this island. The most famous cup is named after a Protestant. What catholic trappings have the OO?

haha. Name a trophy after a Protestant United irelander and that's the GAA sorted.

You clearly do.

You wrap it up in a clause of "wasted investment", but it's clear you just think they shouldn't be able to choose to play for their country. Classic bigotry.

So I do not know how there can be any profitable discussion. If I say I glad Maclean is playing for ROI, you say you don't believe me

I suppose I'm playing devils advocate here, trying to see the point of view from the other side and how they see things. NI Unionists see themselves as British & part of the wider British family, they don't want to be part of our State.

Simples as that, we on the other hand have this never ending yearning for them to relinquish their Britishness and to become like us, as one Nation under the Tricolour, yet they don't want that.

So I guess this argument will go on for ever.

I have no care in the wide world what they want to be. Nor would I try and impede them. Nor do I know anyone who wants to do that.

You don't understand as much as you think you do, what 'we' think.

haha. Name a trophy after a Protestant United irelander and that's the GAA sorted.

It had a Protestant president, has many many protestants happily playing it at all levels.

Another argument running out of rope.

Good post...

Good post but unfortunately there are a number of people on here who just cannot see the hypocrisy they are spouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Nothing stopping anyone playing gaa. Catholic Protestant Muslims or agnostic. Nobody cares. The OO is just a breeding ground to maintain the sectarian past but I am encouraged it’s membership is dwindling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years

Borders happen.

You won't get people straddling the border because the border between Switzerland and Germany is Lake Constance and the upper regions of the Rhine.

Most borders are based on the natural topography of the landscape - i.e., rivers, lakes, mountains.

The border between NI & ROI is just a random line on a map.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement