Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years
    armaghlad wrote: »
    I’d love to visit what ever planet you inhabit because that is some disingenuous waffle. What whinging narrative are you talking about? No more loudmouths? Who’s the loudmouths? Who really has a chip on their shoulder here?

Here is your answer:
    BloodyBill wrote: »
    Living in England 5 years. Love the place. Its vibrant,seaside towns are proper towns. The Cotswolds and Devon ,Cornwall are as pretty as anything in Ireland. I love visiting Ireland but I like the acceptance of right wing views in the UK. I vote Tory...the sporting options are huge..London is basically the worlds capital and iv lived in New York and London is better.
    Cant beat Clare or West Cork for a weekend..but the nosey, smug Lefties are what turns my stomach in Ireland. Any country that votes Ming, Claire Byrne and the guy from Wexford has serious issues..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

jm08 wrote: »
    I think Republicans did in their customary way (P.O'Neill) in 2002:

"While it was not our intention to injure or kill non-combatants, the reality is that on this and on a number of other occasions that was the consequence of our actions.

did he say this with a straight face. So Kingsmill et al was an accident?

So now Arlene doesn't want an all island approach?

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/nuanced-changes-to-lockdown-but-nothing-more-foster-warns-39190669.html

Can't help but wave that little Butcher's Apron in her mind when she makes those sorts of statements.

---

Again which is it now, does she want warning or not when we do anything?

It's almost like she's being disingenuous. Imagine!

This is a very strange take on the situation. Ireland moved again without consulting Northern Ireland and yet Northern Ireland is to blame again.

Setting that aside
    of course Northern Ireland has to move with the UK block, and of course we will have local nuances meaning we will do certain things slightly different. We have British government paying 80% of an awful lot of people's wages. We do not have the luxury of breaking with them on the timetable, unless ROI is going to step up and pay the wages etc.

Could you tell me honestly how you feel about the Scottish first Minister implying that she may not follow exactly what the UK government bring out as a timetable?
    I think this is an important question, because you and many others on here are crying fairly constantly that Northern Ireland should follow the ROI timetable because we share the same island. Do you believe Scotland should do the same on the island they share? Or are you letting your politics again demonstrate your hypocrisy

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    This is a very strange take on the situation. Ireland moved again without consulting Northern Ireland and yet Northern Ireland is to blame again.

Setting that aside
    of course Northern Ireland has to move with the UK block, and of course we will have local nuances meaning we will do certain things slightly different. We have British government paying 80% of an awful lot of people's wages. We do not have the luxury of breaking with them on the timetable, unless ROI is going to step up and pay the wages etc.

Could you tell me honestly how you feel about the Scottish first Minister implying that she may not follow exactly what the UK government bring out as a timetable?
    I think this is an important question, because you and many others on here are crying fairly constantly that Northern Ireland should follow the ROI timetable because we share the same island. Do you believe Scotland should do the same on the island they share? Or are you letting your politics again demonstrate your hypocrisy

I thought it was your government? You speak of them as some benign foreign power taking pity on you. :)

Peculiar way to talk about your own government.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I thought it was your government? You speak of them as some benign foreign power taking pity on you. :)

Peculiar way to talk about your own government.

Jumped out at me too. Let’s face it if RHI showed anything it was how the DUP view the british and their exchequer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years

Setting that aside

Any chance of that link, Downcow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years

Setting that aside

The devolved nations tailoring their lockdown strategies does`nt suit some posters as it does`nt fit into their`ruled by London` agenda.The `gobdaw twins`(mary lou and michelle o`neil)continually putting their foot in it does`nt help any self respecting shinnerbot either! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

RobMc59 wrote: »
    The devolved nations tailoring their lockdown strategies does`nt suit some posters as it does`nt fit into their`ruled by London` agenda.The `gomdaw twins`(mary lou and michelle o`neil)continually putting their foot in it does`nt help any self respecting shinnerbot either! :rolleyes:

And dont forget all the gobdaws mingling together on the streets of britain celebrating v.e. day.forget social distancing and spreading a deadly virus,celebrations are more important

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

20-30 years
    Supposing the Scots go first?, Scottish Nationalists find NI Loyalists and their Ibrox cohorts an embarrassment, I can't see the people in the North who solely primarily self-identify as 'British' or 'Northern Irish' as a close second being too enthusiastic about events across the North Channel, it'd be more like a case of the game being up as well as the creeping demographic shifts that are kicking in already.

The saner and more rational sectors of the PUL community have already quietly shifted their stance from 'never' to 'a long-term possibility' regarding reunification.

dd973 wrote: »
    Supposing the Scots go first?, Scottish Nationalists find NI Loyalists and their Ibrox cohorts an embarrassment, I can't see the people in the North who solely primarily self-identify as 'British' or 'Northern Irish' as a close second being too enthusiastic about events across the North Channel, it'd be more like a case of the game being up as well as the creeping demographic shifts that are kicking in already.

The saner and more rational sectors of the PUL community have already quietly shifted their stance from 'never' to 'a long-term possibility' regarding reunification.

.....and scottish nationalist don't find their Celtic park cohorts an embarrassment?

That certainly places me in the saner and more rational sectors of the PUL community in your eyes then. My dad always taught me 'never say never'. Of course it is a long-term possibility, as is cows producing blue milk and pigs flying. In fact I can't really think of anything that is not a long-term possibility.

• Advertisement

20-30 years
    did he say this with a straight face. So Kingsmill et al was an accident?

No, it was a written statement. Here is the link for you to read it yourself which is on the CAIN website.

https://cain.ulster.ac.uk/events/peace/docs/ira160702.htm

Also worth noting that in that Washington Post article about the apology they state this:

Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams has regularly expressed "regret for the pain we have suffered, and the pain we have caused." Martin McGuinness, another Sinn Fein leader who has acknowledged that he was once a local commander in the IRA, recently made similar remarks.
    What we need to hear is an admission of the horror the ira brought on many people and my particular interest is an admission of the horror they visited upon rural Protestants.
    Again. I believe the loyalists have done this. Or rather the leadership have done it - and that doesn’t make them wonderful people.

Downcow, what age are you? That apology from the PIRA was absolutely huge at the time (2002). How could you not have known about it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    No, it was a written statement. Here is the link for you to read it yourself which is on the CAIN website.

Also worth noting that in that Washington Post article about the apology they state this:

Downcow, what age are you? That apology from the PIRA was absolutely huge at the time (2002). How could you not have known about it?
    down cow may have a bit of mad-cow ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    BloodyBill wrote: »
    'We' are successive Southern Irish Governments and the Media. Weve always nodded and played along with the whinging narrative. 'That was all supposed to stop after the good Friday agreement. Equal opportunity for all voters.No more loudmouths with a chip on their shoulder saying ' we are the Palestinians of Northern Europe.' That kind of childish stuff. Weve let ye off with it for too long. Start making Northern Ireland work for yourselves and your nighbours. And stop annoying us

Who is this "us" you speak of Bill?

You just quoted a statement which said the Ira never intentionally killed non-combatants. Do you believe that??

20-30 years
    You just quoted a statement which said the Ira never intentionally killed non-combatants. Do you believe that??

Have you got a link to the more sincere Loyalist statements?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,338 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Have you got a link to the more sincere Loyalist statements?
    Found it for him, as he can't fathom links for some reason. Read by Gusty Spence, who started the whole sectarian bloodbath of the Troubles (along with Paisley, Unionist grandees, British security services, etc.).

"In all sincerity, we offer to the loved ones of all innocent victims over the past twenty-five years, abject and true remorse. No words of ours will compensate for the intolerable suffering they have undergone during the conflict."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Loyalist_Military_Command

Not your ornery onager

20-30 years

I posted a link to the statement which said:

We offer our sincere apologies and condolences to their families.

There have been fatalities amongst combatants on all sides. We also acknowledge the grief and pain of their relatives.

DC, what age are you?

I posted a link to the statement which said:

DC, what age are you?

This is what you posted from Pj O’Neill
    “"While it was not our intention to injure or kill non-combatants, the reality is that on this and on a number of other occasions that was the consequence of our actions.”

I am asking do you believe this part of the statement??
    ”it was not our intention to injure or kill non-combatants”

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

20-30 years
    .....and scottish nationalist don't find their Celtic park cohorts an embarrassment?

Not as embarrasing as you poppinjays, with your spurious ideas about being racially superior. :pac:

20-30 years
    This is what you posted from Pj O’Neill
    “"While it was not our intention to injure or kill non-combatants, the reality is that on this and on a number of other occasions that was the consequence of our actions.”

I am asking do you believe this part of the statement??
    ”it was not our intention to injure or kill non-combatants”

You made a statement that republicans had never acknowledged or apologised for the hurt they had caused to people. Well you are wrong on that so how about acknowledging this.

Being unable to accept the apology is entirely up to you, but at least admit that no matter what SF/republicans say or do, it will never be enough so the only option left is a UI to try and dilute the sectarianism.

As to your latest divertion effort with another question - to put it to bed - yes I believe it was neverthe intention to injure iñnocent civilians (and henceforth the phone calls before bombs went off (unlike the loyalist paramilitaries). I would also point out that I accepted David Irvines expressions of regret by his efforts to get the GFA to work and have a lot of admiration for him despite his past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You made a statement that republicans had never acknowledged or apologised for the hurt they had caused to people. Well you are wrong on that so how about acknowledging this.

Being unable to accept the apology is entirely up to you, but at least admit that no matter what SF/republicans say or do, it will never be enough so the only option left is a UI to try and dilute the sectarianism.

As to your latest divertion effort with another question - to put it to bed - yes I believe it was neverthe intention to injure iñnocent civilians (and henceforth the phone calls before bombs went off (unlike the loyalist paramilitaries). I would also point out that I accepted David Irvines expressions of regret by his efforts to get the GFA to work and have a lot of admiration for him despite his past.

'Victimhood' JM, that is what it is about. We have seen a prime example of it here on this thread with downcow's posting.

They believe/or fool themselves that they are the only victims in exactly the same way that a lot of the British people have convinced themselves they are benign force for good in the world. 'Bombing people into the acceptance of their gifts' so to speak, as somebody said of the Americans.

10-15 years
    Hasn’t Boris dropped a bit hint to Unionists that they are on the Island of Ireland. Penny dropping slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

blinding wrote: »
    Hasn’t Boris dropped a bit hint to Unionists that they are on the Island of Ireland. Penny dropping slowly.

:confused:
    Please explain?

10-15 years
    :confused:
    Please explain?
    The Unionists seem to think being on the Island of Ireland was the same as Being a Big Island Brit. With Brexit , Boris has let Unionists very well know that they are on the Island of Ireland. Do they not teach the Irish Unionists Geography at School.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    That apology from the subversives doesn't look wholesome. I can certainly see where downcow is coming from.

Something like 'we were wrong to do what we did, there's no excuse for all the lives we took, we wholeheartedly apologise for all the wrong we did, the lives that were lost and the pain and suffering we caused many families. '

That apology from both sides would be better I think.

blinding wrote:
    The Unionists seem to think being on the Island of Ireland was the same as Being a Big Island Brit. With Brexit , Boris has let Unionists very well know that they are on the Island of Ireland. Do they not teach the Irish Unionists Geography at School.
    Ian Paisley always claimed he was an Irishman. Just an FYI.

10-15 years
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Ian Paisley always claimed he was an Irishman. Just an FYI.
    He was enough of a bollox to be quite a lot of Irishmen :eek::eek:

10-15 years
    That apology from the subversives doesn't look wholesome. I can certainly see where downcow is coming from.

Something like 'we were wrong to do what we did, there's no excuse for all the lives we took, we wholeheartedly apologise for all the wrong we did, the lives that were lost and the pain and suffering we caused many families. '

Unionists/ Loyalists and the Big Island Brits should give it a try to see how it goes down. They certainly did the most damage on the Island through out History.

20-30 years

What?

You think there should be a "joint-apology" to sate Downcow? Or yourself?

Do you ever read some of the nonsense you write?

I might be missing something here. Perhaps you can explain?

• Advertisement

I might be missing something here. Perhaps you can explain?
    What your missing is that I don't see through nationalist or unionist goggles like most of the regular posters in this thread.
    You hate Unionists, it's so evident from everything you post in this thread and the way you treat downcow. He is a Unionist and he's shown bias too but he is a hell of a lot more unbiased than you and others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement