Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    eagle eye wrote: »
    I didn't invent any terms, I suggested a proper apology which would be a humane thing to do.
    But you and all your hate are looking for things that aren't there.

What is a proper apology to you?

What have Loyalists done that the PIRA should do?

20-30 years
    downcow wrote: »
    Junkyard. Did you ever consider why Protestants were so fearful I united Ireland removed from the protection of the UK. I'm sure you're very aware that many Protestants, probably a majority, supported a united Ireland. What did your people do to make my people change their aspiration out of absolute fear of what you might do to them - or continue doing to them only on a greater scale?

What?

20-30 years
    Well he seems honest and more unbiased than you and others in this thread. It's nice to see he is honest in his thoughts of what might happen if we came close to a United Ireland. I've predicted that there would be troubles if plans advance towards it.
    The solution is for Unionists and Nationalists to educate their kids that they are all the same and in about fifty years time, when all those who were involved or even just remember the troubles are long gone, the people of Northern Ireland can decide what way they want to move forward.

So by admitting he would be violent in the event of a UI is better for you than the likes of myself and FB and Tom who constantly berate his bigerent and bigoted unionism?

At what point does your contrarianism become too difficult for you to keep your brain from atrophying?

20-30 years
    I think if you move forward with a United Ireland that the Unionist paramilitaries will come down to the republic and start troubles down here. Then some form of IRA will start up north in response.

So you're gonna let hypothetical terrorists win?
    I don't think there is a majority in favour of a United Ireland in the Republic. People signed up to stop the troubles but didn't really look beyond that.

We've been through this. This is nonsense.

20-30 years
    Your problem Father is that you seem to think that Ireland should somehow be unique. It is fine to move on from where we are in every other country in the world. No demand to give Australia, New Zealand, USA, etc, etc, back to their people's. No demand to get rid of Spanish in South America and go back to the native languages. No demand for Catalonia, Basque, Kosovo, etc, to just keep their heads down and ignore their aspirations just because they share a landmass. Etc, etc, etc. no demand to trawl through history in all these countries and try and work out who actually owns them.
    But on this island we should do all of the above, and chuck a million people out whose ancestors have been here, under the same rule for, for at least 400 years.

Take a big look at your hypocrisy

If people vote for a UI, you will be okay with it then?
    Because that is the law of Ireland and the UK.

So we are in fact different to all of the other countries you have set up as part of your latest strawman above.

Take a big look at your hypocrisy.

• Advertisement

20-30 years
    Yes, that s why we I'm saying that kids have to be taught that they are all the same and in about fifty years that Northern Ireland will be in a place to make a decision that suits all their residents.

Your only role going forward is to vote in a referendum.

That is it.

In addition to that you can campaign for the status quo or for the renegotiation of the end game. Off you pop.

In the meantime, the rest of us will continue on.

In the end the likes of DC and yourself are lost to those of us who want to rid the island of sectarianism and the British border. So we'll move on without you. You're not worth the effort.

20-30 years
    There's too much hate on both sides for that to work.

In your opinion.

You're wrong though.

20-30 years
    The vast majority who supported the GFA. Who have not wavered from it and still uphold it as the template for the future.

Have you any data on your opinion?

Don't forget that EE thinks that everybody signed up to the GFA to end the troubles and had no interest in the UI part of it.

Now obviously his opinion on this matter should be taken as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    You really need to start prefacing your posts, because you seem to think that you are some sort of spokesperson.
    No, I'm just an average dude with no preference for unionists or nationalists.
    DC is far beyond reasonable. But you don't see that. And that's okay, your opinions as seen throughout boards, should be taken with as much much salt as is physiologically possible.
    You're attempts at insults just add to your bigoted profile.
    What is a proper apology to you?
    I posted it in this thread today.
    So by admitting he would be violent in the event of a UI is better for you than the likes of myself and FB and Tom who constantly berate his bigerent and bigoted unionism?
    He is honest about it and there's plenty more like him.
    At what point does your contrarianism become too difficult for you to keep your brain from atrophying?
    I'm contrarian because I disagree with you and the other bigoted pro UI'ers?
    So you're gonna let hypothetical terrorists win?
    I'm in favour of peace in the Republic of Ireland. We don't want to bring in two sides who hate each other.
    We've been through this. This is nonsense.
    No we haven't, there's no proof that people in the Republic are in favour of a UI right now.
    There's a hell of a lot of people in Northern Ireland that are not favour of it.

Maybe I'll become a freedom fighter for the Republic of Ireland to keep us free from all the hateful and bigoted views in NI.
    In addition to that you can campaign for the status quo or for the renegotiation of the end game. Off you pop.
    You can be guaranteed I'll be very involved in telling people of the dangers of it causing a reignition of the troubles and a lot of it being in the Republic of Ireland and I'll also be reminding them of the financial cost which could see us go through another long period of austerity.
    In the end the likes of DC and yourself are lost to those of us who want to rid the island of sectarianism and the British border. So we'll move on without you. You're not worth the effort.
    Andvl there you go about sectarianism and it's those feelings are exactly why Northern Ireland is not ready to make decisions on a UI.
    You also want to box me off with downcow and we don't have the same views on very much. I just see him as the one being treated awfully in this thread by bigoted posters like yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

There's a hell of a lot of people in Northern Ireland that are not favour of it.

How do you know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

If people vote for a UI, you will be okay with it then?
    Because that is the law of Ireland and the UK.

So we are in fact different to all of the other countries you have set up as part of your latest strawman above.

Take a big look at your hypocrisy.

I am ok. It’s called democracy (which of course is not perfect). The majority of my country folk (myself included) voted for the gfa. So the gfa it is. But the hypothetical day we have a UI (or indeed a new agreement) then the gfa is no more. So don’t suggest it is a final position. There is no such thing in politics

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

That is it.

In the meantime, the rest of us will continue on.

I thought it was the Irish introduced the border. Am I not correct.

20-30 years
    I am ok. It’s called democracy (which of course is not perfect). The majority of my country folk (myself included) voted for the gfa. So the gfa it is. But the hypothetical day we have a UI (or indeed a new agreement) then the gfa is no more. So don’t suggest it is a final position. There is no such thing in politics

I thought the GFA was a bad thing for Nationalism?

You said you would be violent in event of a UI? So you think that violence in the event of a UI is justified even though it was the democratic will of the people of the whole island?

I thought the GFA was a bad thing for Nationalism?

You said you would be violent in event of a UI? So you think that violence in the event of a UI is justified even though it was the democratic will of the people of the whole island?

He said he 'couldn't guarantee to remain peaceful'. The same kind of threats that (Can't think of his name...wee fella that took up the mantle of Willie Frazer) makes that he can row backwards from.

20-30 years
    No, I'm just an average dude with no preference for unionists or nationalists.
    You have a clear preference for belligerent unionism and partitionism.

You're attempts at insults just add to your bigoted profile.

I just don't value your opinions. I'm not trying to insult you.

I posted it in this thread today.

It shouldn't be too hard to find it again so.

He is honest about it and there's plenty more like him.

So honesty trumps bigotry?

I'm contrarian because I disagree with you and the other bigoted pro UI'ers?

Nope, you're contrarian because there is no way any rational person can possibly believe the nonsense you write, with all of its flaws and holes and really be trying to be taken seriously and in all of that, side with a noted and admitted sectarian bogot.

I'm in favour of peace in the Republic of Ireland. We don't want to bring in two sides who hate each other.

The mere fact that you think this is a statement of fact says it all really.
    No we haven't, there's no proof that people in the Republic are in favour of a UI right now.

Is there not?

So you have nothing to worry about in the event of a border poll. Why be so shirty wbout it all anyway?

20-30 years
    Maybe I'll become a freedom fighter for the Republic of Ireland to keep us free from all the hateful and bigoted views in NI.

That's your own prerogative I guess.

You can be guaranteed I'll be very involved in telling people of the dangers of it causing a reignition of the troubles and a lot of it being in the Republic of Ireland and I'll also be reminding them of the financial cost which could see us go through another long period of austerity.

Good for you. That's also your prerogative.

Andvl there you go about sectarianism and it's those feelings are exactly why Northern Ireland is not ready to make decisions on a UI.
    You also want to box me off with downcow and we don't have the same views on very much. I just see him as the one being treated awfully in this thread by bigoted posters like yourself.

You're "boxed off" with downcow because your opinions hold as much weight for me as each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    So don’t suggest it is a final position.

If you did manage to come up with some sort of re-partitioned PUL statelet, where would it be? Or would you want a sort of West Bank scenario with PUL cantons. Would you envision population transfer?

20-30 years
    He said he 'couldn't guarantee to remain peaceful'. The same kind of threats that (Can't think of his name...wee fella that took up the mantle of Willie Frazer) makes that he can row backwards from.

Oh aye, but then I would have had to go back through pages of nonsense to find the post to quote him "verbatim", and we all know how much he hates that.

Oh aye, but then I would have had to go back through pages of nonsense to find the post to quote him "verbatim", and we all know how much he hates that.

You get put on the 'ignore backstep' if you do that.

• Advertisement

20-30 years
    If you did manage to come up with some sort of re-partitioned PUL statelet, where would it be? Or would you want a sort of West Bank scenario with PUL cantons. Would you envision population transfer?

I can't imagine he'd be able to afford the population transfer into Ards anyway. :)

20-30 years
    You get put on the 'ignore backstep' if you do that.

That's up to himself. I can't imagine he'll get much of a rise out of Eagle Eye in that echochamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Well if this thread is anything to go by it doesn't bode well for a "United" Ireland anytime in the near future.

Talk about hostile adversaries, and you want to Unite with each other, yeah right :(

Well if this thread is anything to go by it doesn't bode well for a "United" Ireland anytime in the near future.

Talk about hostile adversaries, and you want to Unite with each other, yeah right :(

This is the internet Hamster.
    downcow has come on here pretending, so far he hasn't convinced too many that he is a genuine seeker of knowledge. Very few have fallen for his trojan horse antics tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

It is certain at this stage that both the British and Unionists do not want anything that might look truthfully at what happened. Neither a 'truth' process or any exhibition or process that might lay blame at their doors.

No doubt that is true, but do Republicans want the real truth to come out about their campaign either? I would say absolutely no, they don't. The RA and the INLA got up to all kinds of hateful, sectarian, murderous bull****, some of it hasn't even been publicised.

Kneecappings, there are allegations of sexual assault, the RA running their areas like little fiefdoms. Murders of civilians. The idea that the British and Loyalists are the only ones with something to hide is ludicrous. The IRA were perpetrators, not victims.

fisgon wrote: »
    No doubt that is true, but do Republicans want the real truth to come out about their campaign either? I would say absolutely no, they don't. The RA and the INLA got up to all kinds of hateful, sectarian, murderous bull****, some of it hasn't even been publicised.

Kneecappings, there are allegations of sexual assault, the RA running their areas like little fiefdoms. Murders of civilians. The idea that the British and Loyalists are the only ones with something to hide is ludicrous. The IRA were perpetrators, not victims.

The important thing is that they say they do and will take part in a transparent inclusive truth process. Quite a bit of info on what they want to see on the internet. Based on the South African process.

So, what can you do only call their bluff? I don't know if they will, until it happens. But the Unionists, loyalists and British want nothing to do with it.

20-30 years
    So now that the UK is splintering into 4 different factions with reopening the economy etc, does DC think that NI should follow the British govt plans or the ROI?

You have a clear preference for belligerent unionism and partitionism.
    That's not true. I have a clear preference for the health both in peace and financially of the Republic of Ireland.
    I just don't value your opinions. I'm not trying to insult you.
    That's a two way street.
    It shouldn't be too hard to find it again so.
    I'm not quoting it for you.
    So honesty trumps bigotry?
    Well a bigot is a despicable creature. He creates the situations on which others act out.
    Nope, you're contrarian because there is no way any rational person can possibly believe the nonsense you write, with all of its flaws and holes and really be trying to be taken seriously and in all of that, side with a noted and admitted sectarian bogot.
    I'm not siding with downcow, I just see him as the least biased of the regular posters here.
    The mere fact that you think this is a statement of fact says it all really.
    So youbl are telling me that there isn't a lot of people in Northern Ireland who are against a UI?
    Is there not?
    No
    So you have nothing to worry about in the event of a border poll. Why be so shirty wbout it all anyway?
    I'm not against a border poll. Show me where I said that?

So now that the UK is splintering into 4 different factions with reopening the economy etc, does DC think that NI should follow the British govt plans or the ROI?

I think it is clear now what Boris is doing. An independent sovereign state of England.
    He is driving a coach and four through the union tonight. All shades of opinion up in arms.
    Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

One thing's for sure, depending on how Brexit negotiations pan out, either there will be an economic border down the Irish sea, it there won't?

If an economic barrier is introduced in the Irish sea, then that's the beginning of the end for Northern Ireland being an integral part of the United Kingdom. (Yes, it may stay part of the UK in name), but ultimately it will be removed and treated differently on an economic basis, with all trade coming through the ROI & Dublin/Brussels) instead of Britain and London.

So let's wait and see what hapoens later his year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement