Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    Surely Ian could keep an airport going himself with his travel expeditions.
    But who would be paying ? ? ?:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    jm08 wrote: »
    How is it unfair competition? The CEO of Tourism Ireland was brought before the Northern Ireland Commons Committee last year, and he explained very clearly how it all worked. (Paisley had been claiming that Dublin Airport was getting grants from Tourism Ireland, which of course was a lie).

The problem for NI Tourism was that most tourist choose to fly into Dublin Airport because there are a lot more flights from all over the world there and no direct flights from the US, their biggest potential market.

Who knows what the rationale is outside of the "foreign country" victim complex.

It's not even a problem for NI tourism. It's a massive boon for them to have one of the busiest airports on Europe only 90min from Belfast. And more convenient to Belfast than Aldergrove as it stands!

Suit them better to wonder why they're wasting money having Aldergrove in existence.

20-30 years
    armaghlad wrote: »
    Certainly a faux pas in the circumstances but I wouldn’t read anything into it. He can use whatever terminology he wants.

I must ask my Tyronians.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Certainly a faux pas in the circumstances but I wouldn’t read anything into it. He can use whatever terminology he wants.

Totally agree. He was just making the point about the 2 different jurisdictions on the Island on how difficult that might be for the GAA. He was hardly expressing his nationhood preference.

20-30 years
    I must ask my Tyronians.

Just stuck it in the group there with an Aughnacloy lad, a Coalisland lad and a Dungannon lad (who intermarried with an Armagh [Camlough] woman, * spits *) and the consensus is "eejit" as they like most sensible people realise the knuckledraggers from both sides will latch on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    The thing about a United Ireland is that all the bitter loudmouths we hear become utterly pointless and would have nothing to offer. Unionists of a moderate persuasion would thrive in a United Ireland and we might actually get them to stay here rather than leave for Scotland and England out of the sheer embarrassment of being associated with the legacy leaders of Unionism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    The thing about a United Ireland is that all the bitter loudmouths we hear become utterly pointless and would have nothing to offer. Unionists of a moderate persuasion would thrive in a United Ireland and we might actually get them to stay here rather than leave for Scotland and England out of the sheer embarrassment of being associated with the legacy leaders of Unionism.

Just to add to that DC and the like seem completely unaware that religion or personal religion religious beliefs don’t matter In any way shape or form down here anymore.
    Something he seems painfully unaware of

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Wouldn't be a huge fan of Sean on the telly TBH, obviously we'll educated guy, and smart, but comes across a bit 'nice buy dim' on the TV, and doesn't generally add much analysis to the sport IMHO.

However, the twitter **** are out of order here, a phrase taken out of context by a guy who I'd say is constantly answering questions and switching between juristrictions as an accountant.
    People have little to worry about....

20-30 years
    Runaways wrote: »
    Just to add to that DC and the like seem completely unaware that religion or personal religion religious beliefs don’t matter In any way shape or form down here anymore.

And even among Nationalists in the North as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

That's the thing Tom. You'll only get those who are deeply entrenched in unionist mythology on here. There's been an increase of people who would vote for a united Ireland in recent years.

Senior unionists have been talking to supporting a united Ireland already as seen here: https://www.channel4.com/news/brexit-senior-unionists-from-northern-ireland-ready-to-talk-to-dublin-about-possible-unification.

In fact polls suggest that the British public are more keen to sort Brexit than to keep Northern Ireland in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I live in England and the US D. I have no friends who travel to be offended. I will say that most of the coverage the DUP we got over here inspired offense.

I remember one immigrant who came here (Hampshire) who complained that him being required to learn English is discrimination. What he said is no different than what you said about Irish.

well there you have it. steddyeddy reckons I'm an immigrant. hahaha lol you couldnt make it up. Steddyeddy living in USA and referring to people as immigrants lol . Steddyeddy, my people are on this island much longer than your people are in usa. Maybe its time you were all forced to learn First Nation language.
    Steddyeddy you need to step back from your hatred of my community and take a long look at what you are saying

blinding wrote: »
    Sure aren’t the Protestant University students going to Britain to study and then not coming back.

There must be something shameful and embarrassing about the behaviour of their Protestant Forbears in Ireland that they get to understand when abroad and they just can’t face coming back to Ireland ! ! !:eek:

Thats old news, the world has moved on. My daughter is studying on the mainland and when they finish, her and her Scottish boyfriend can't wait to move over. He loves it here. A big chance his family is following

jm08 wrote: »
    And the stats don't explain the withdrawal of the British Civil Service from Ireland or the British Army or the 1000s of protestants killed in the WWI or who remained in the British Army and were shipped out to India and the rest of the Empire, not to mention the creation of a Protestant State for a Protestant People in the North East of Ireland! From what I recall, the traffic was two-way.

The stats disagree with you. I doesn't look like two-way.
    .....and what came before the 'protestant state for a protestant people', you know rightly, don't you?

Who knows what the rationale is outside of the "foreign country" victim complex.

It's not even a problem for NI tourism. It's a massive boon for them to have one of the busiest airports on Europe only 90min from Belfast. And more convenient to Belfast than Aldergrove as it stands!

Suit them better to wonder why they're wasting money having Aldergrove in existence.

you are not even in the top 10 lol

No, I actually agree that you have caught up with the UK on that one - if 40 years late

steddyeddy wrote: »
    That's the thing Tom. You'll only get those who are deeply entrenched in unionist mythology on here. There's been an increase of people who would vote for a united Ireland in recent years.

Senior unionists have been talking to supporting a united Ireland already as seen here: https://www.channel4.com/news/brexit-senior-unionists-from-northern-ireland-ready-to-talk-to-dublin-about-possible-unification.

In fact polls suggest that the British public are more keen to sort Brexit than to keep Northern Ireland in the UK.

Steddy now Eddy. You are getting carried away

20-30 years
    downcow wrote: »
    you are not even in the top 10 lol

I think it's Twelfth actually. Thought you'd approve of that.

Explain what it being "not even in the top 10 lol" had got to do with what was posted, nay with anything substantive?

20-30 years
    No, I actually agree that you have caught up with the UK on that one - if 40 years late

You're irredeemable and clearly beyond making points that can be discussed.

You're entering the last phase of the charlatan. It's sad. Thankfully you're atypical of most unionists. Sad sad man.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think it's Twelfth actually. Thought you'd approve of that.

Explain what it being "not even in the top 10 lol" had got to do with what was posted, nay with anything substantive?

I think the mask has slipped. It is just pure untrammeled hate for the republic now. Cannot bear to accept it survived without the 'Union'.

20-30 years
    I think the mask has slipped. It is just pure untrammeled hate for the republic now. Cannot bear to accept it survived without the 'Union'.

Sure look, we'll all move on without the likes of him regardless. But we all know that the loyalty is really to the half-crown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

well there you have it. steddyeddy reckons I'm an immigrant. hahaha lol you couldnt make it up. Steddyeddy living in USA and referring to people as immigrants lol . Steddyeddy, my people are on this island much longer than your people are in usa. Maybe its time you were all forced to learn First Nation language.
    Steddyeddy you need to step back from your hatred of my community and take a long look at what you are saying

Not sure what you've been reading D but no. I was saying that I know another guy in England who complains about having to learn the national language. You were claiming that's discrimination as you claimed when your father had to learn it.

Sure look, we'll all move on without the likes of him regardless. But we all know that the loyalty is really to the half-crown.

Of course things will move on. The belligerents were left behind at the Anglo Irish Agreement, they just don't realise it yet...or don't want to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    Thats old news, the world has moved on. My daughter is studying on the mainland and when they finish, her and her Scottish boyfriend can't wait to move over. He loves it here. A big chance his family is following
    The statistics do not bear that out. Unionists students go to the big island to go to University and a lot of them do not come back. When they see the big wide world and look back at what their forbears have done in the Six Counties they no longer want to be associated with that terrible past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Serious question is "What exactly is a United Ireland" and what would the difference be, between what we have now, to detaching NI from Britain and attaching it to our country? How can the people living in NI be persuaded to want to change their spots, financially, economically, culturally, and morally?

Green postboxes instead of red, tricolours instead of Union flags, HSE instead of the NHS.

Personally I think there would have to be some sizemic shift or event of some kind in the UK (like Scottish independence), which would shift the tectonic plates and destabilise the Union. Brexit might be a catalyst??? but it's too early to say.

What's your opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    I think we are living through that catalyst right now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That's not really true. Religion is still a big part of Irish culture/society. You might not think that because it is less than it was when you were growing up but as an aetheist immigrant from a secular country, I can tell you that religion is still a big part of Irish life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    That's not really true. Religion is still a big part of Irish culture/society. You might not think that because it is less than it was when you were growing up but as an aetheist immigrant from a secular country, I can tell you that religion is still a big part of Irish life.

It’s a part of every country. What’s the anthem of GB? God....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    steddyeddy wrote:
    In fact polls suggest that the British public are more keen
    The British public have no say in whether there will ever be a UI.

Yeah_Right wrote: »

I agree, religion plays a huge part still. But there is no dogma anymore (except at ever decreasing extremes) Nobody much cares whether you are RC, COI, Pres, Jewish or Atheist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    blinding wrote:
    The statistics do not bear that out. Unionists students go to the big island to go to University and a lot of them do not come back. When they see the big wide world and look back at what their fellow Northern Irelander's on both sides have done in the Six Counties they no longer want to be associated with that terrible past.
    FYP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement