Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well I would say that there are some me dumbasses making decisions these days.
    If you are born on an island that's where you come from.
    I have no say issue with you calling yourself British but I think it's incorrect, calling yourself Northern Irish seems right to me or just simply Irish.
    I don't see that as affecting your union standing in any way.

So why wouldn’t a Canadian call themselves American?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,207 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

jh79 wrote: »
    It's a loaded question but i will answer if you concede that DC was factually correct in his assertion.

What assertion...he makes many of them.

In the census a large majority of Unionists described themselves as 'British Only' despite living in Ireland for generations. That shows the level of hatred for anything 'native' Irish and its hard to imagine it doesn't include a awful lot of bitterness derived from being a people without a country.

Junkyard you wear incredible blinkers. Do you not find it unusual that some people who have been british subjects living in uk for generations call themselves Irish. Is that hatred?
    I actually defend there right to be Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    I`m aware of that but if you`re born in NI your nationality is British by default.

You need to read the Good Friday agreement again Rob
    Actually read it instead of talking bollocks

Runaways wrote: »
    You need to read the Good Friday agreement again Rob
    Actually read it instead of talking bollocks

I think rob is correct. You are british if you do not take up the offer from your neighbour to become Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

What assertion...he makes many of them.

That he is British and that is legally speaking factually correct.

That he is British and that is legally speaking factually correct.

He identifies as British...it is something a Scot, Welsh, Falkland Islander has to choose to be. Some of them do and some of them don't. And that is legally fine.

It doesn't change the place of his birth though. That is Ireland not Britain...Britain is the name of the Island which has the countries of Scotland Wales and England. All around the world there are places where you can legally identify as British, it doesn't change where you are from though.

10-15 years
    downcow wrote: »
    I think rob is correct. You are british if you do not
    take up the offer from your neighbour to become Irish

All we’ve learned from this thread is that your “ identity “ is so very
    Fragile and easily threatened
    And the threat Is in your imagination
    You do your community No favours With this nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years

To distinguish themselves from South and Central Americans. Those from USA and Canada are referred to as North Americans. America is a huge continent.

He identifies as British...it is something a Scot, Welsh, Falkland Islander has to choose to be. Some of them do and some of them don't. And that is legally fine.

It doesn't change the place of his birth though. That is Ireland not Britain...Britain is the name of the Island which has the countries of Scotland Wales and England. All around the world there are places where you can legally identify as British, it doesn't change where you are from though.

Saying he legally identifies as British implies there are more than one option which we both know isn't currently true.

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »
    To distinguish themselves from South and Central Americans. Those from USA and Canada are referred to as North Americans. America is a huge continent.

Its also a geographical landmass just like Ireland.

Are Sicilians Italian? What about Corsica? What about countries made of a collection of islands ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,579 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    downcow wrote:
    Well they are North Americans but I'd guess it's to differentiate between them as Canadian and those from the USA who call themselves Americans.
    You have the option to call yourself Northern Irish. What's wrong with that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    So does that make Canadians Americans - or is this just more hypocrisy?
    Canada is not called North America Though !;)

Canada is called Canada like Ireland is called Ireland. You are from the North Part of Ireland as is Donegal so your are Irish from the North part of Ireland.:D

Saying he legally identifies as British implies there are more than one option which we both know isn't currently true.

'Identity' and place of birth are two different things.

If he goes to Britain and meets somebody from Birmingham and that person says, 'I am British because I am born on the island of Britain, what does downcow have to say?
    'I was born in Ireland but I am British because I 'choose' it as my identity.

All fine and legally correct. Downciw cannot say he is british because he was born there...simple geography without the complication of cultural identity.
    The Unionist typically and famously will plaster everything in the 'fleg' because of this insecurity...it's a modern phenomena.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

You can call yourself individually whatever you want but the Island is Ireland.

...which takes us back to the points I raised in #8440

10-15 years
    So does that make Canadians Americans - or is this just more hypocrisy?
    I believe your forbears knew they were in Ireland because they left Britain to come to Ireland they must have known that they had arrived in Ireland because they stopped. “ Ah, Sure we are here in Ireland now “ ;);)

20-30 years
    Its also a geographical landmass just like Ireland.

Are Sicilians Italian? What about Corsica? What about countries made of a collection of islands ?

I think Sicilians are Italian and European. Corsicans are French and European. Collection of islands - say Indonesia - Asian.

blinding wrote: »
    I believe your forbears knew they were in Ireland because they left Britain to come to Ireland they must have known that they had arrived in Ireland because they stopped. “ Ah, Sure we are here in Ireland now “ ;);)

British, Irish, English, British Welsh, Scottish, Cornish, Northern Irish, British, Irish . . . lots of 'ish' at the end of each identity, and you know what. These two islands are but twelve miles apart at the nearest point, so it's never going to be just a case of well you're there and we're here, so you're British & were Irish and that's it. No, it can never be that easy for these islands, with so much overlay & overlap.

10-15 years
    British, Irish, English, British Welsh, Scottish, Cornish, Northern Irish, British, Irish . . . lots of 'ish' at the end of each identity, and you know what. These two islands are but twelve miles apart at the nearest point, so it's never going to be just a case of well you're there and we're here, so you're British & were Irish and that's it. No, it can never be that easy for these islands, with so much overlay & overlap.
    One Island is called Ireland and the other island is called Britain. You do normally know if sober know which Island you are on ! !;);)

10-15 years

You also need to read the Good Friday agreement it seems

• Advertisement

'Identity' and place of birth are two different things.

If he goes to Britain and meets somebody from Birmingham and that person says, 'I am British because I am born on the island of Britain, what does downcow have to say?
    'I was born in Ireland but I am British because I 'choose' it as my identity.

All fine and legally correct. Downciw cannot say he is british because he was born there...simple geography without the complication of cultural identity.
    The Unionist typically and famously will plaster everything in the 'fleg' because of this insecurity...it's a modern phenomena.

He hasn't chosen it. It is his legal status having been born in the UK according to the most recent ruling in the DeSouza case.

blinding wrote: »
    One Island is called Ireland and the other island is called Britain. You do normally know if sober know which Island you are on ! !;);)

We are two islands inextricably linked, so you can say what you like, but this island of Ireland has one million Brits on board, and the island of Britain has God knows how many people who claims to be Irish, many of whom have never set foot in Ireland.

Celtic football supporters club (Scotland) is a good place to start with ones analogy.

Runaways wrote: »
    You also need to read the Good Friday agreement it seems

The GFA says either nationality is equally valid. Saying he is Irish but identifies as British is not adhering to the GFA either.

He hasn't chosen it. It is his legal status having been born in the UK according to the most recent ruling in the DeSouza case.

Only because Britain has possession of a part of the island of Ireland. Same as they have the Falklands and Gibraltar. 'Britishness' is an identity therefore.
    Please don't try and say that NI is Britain...because it isn't and never was. The UK is Great Britain and NI.
    The British understood that the island was Ireland too and they still do.

10-15 years
    We are two islands inextricably linked, so you can say what you like, but this island of Ireland has one million Brits on board, and the island of Britain has God knows how many people who claims to be Irish, many of whom have never set foot in Ireland.

Celtic football supporters club (Scotland) is a good place to start with ones analogy.
    How accurate is that 1 Million figure ? I am actually serious about that.

Tis often quoted but where is the good evidence to say it is so.

The Border Poll would be the Great Test. The Unionists should be very confident but they won’t ante up.

If the Unionists are now less than a majority then maybe their figures are not as high as they let on ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    Do you not find it unusual that some people who have been british subjects living in uk for generations call themselves Irish

Britain is full of people of Irish heritage who are British and who know they'd be considered idiots if they described themselves as 'Irish Only'.

Be honest an awful lot Unionists hate the Irish language because it's a stark reminder that you live in Ireland and you can never ever get away from that fact.

I mean imagine being so bitter about the Irish language you go to the trouble of grinding an Irish word off a manhole cover. Sad bastards.

512739.png

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

jm08 wrote: »
    I think Sicilians are Italian and European. Corsicans are French and European. .

Correct. And those born in n. Ireland can be British, same as people from Jersey or the isle of Man. British mean being part of the UK. All those people can have a"British" passport.

20-30 years

They claim to be Irish because their parents/grandparents are Irish.

I don't think its a 'thing' for Celtic supporters from Scotland to think of themselves as Irish.

Only because Britain has possession of a part of the island of Ireland.

Thing is Francie, it's not about possessions, it's about an identity you believe you belong to. People believe they are Irish because in our hearts we know we are Irish, and people who believe they are British are British, specially if they're born in the United Kingdom! They sing God Save the Queen, their flag is the Union Flag, they posess British passports and they are British....

So who are we to say "you're not British"?

• Advertisement

Thing is Francie, it's not about possessions, it's about an identity you believe you belong to. People believe they are Irish because in our hearts we know we are Irish, and people who believe they are British are British, specially if they're born in the United Kingdom! They sing God Save the Queen, their flag is the Union Flag, they posess British passports and they are British....

So who are we to say "you're not British"?

You again are confusing things here.
    You think, like insecure unionists, that being called Irish is to confer an Irish identity on someone.
    You are Irish because the island is called Ireland.
    You can spin until the cows come home to save some belligerent Unionists from being offended all you wish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement