Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Francie, just because you don't want them to be British doesn't fix things for you, you know that.

Yes, wouldn't it be great in the morning if we all woke up to find that all the Unionists & Loyalists in Northern Ireland had relinquished their Britishness in favour of being Irish Republicans :)

They are British, and they will remain so, and nothing we can say will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

Thing is Francie, it's not about possessions, it's about an identity you believe you belong to. People believe they are Irish because in our hearts we know we are Irish, and people who believe they are British are British, specially if they're born in the United Kingdom! They sing God Save the Queen, their flag is the Union Flag, they posess British passports and they are British....

Correct. Anyone who has a British passport is entitled to call themselves British. That is their mainland. Just as someone pointed out 4 or 5 posts ago someone from Sicily is Italian.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    You again are confusing things here.
    You think, like insecure unionists, that being called Irish is to confer an Irish identity on someone.
    You are Irish because the island is called Ireland.
    You can spin until the cows come home to save some belligerent Unionists from being offended all you wish.
    Sure if they are not Irish they would have gone to another country or stayed in Britain. When they came to Ireland and stayed in Ireland they are Irish ! ! !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    Thing is Francie, it's not about possessions, it's about an identity you believe you belong to. People believe they are Irish because in our hearts we know we are Irish, and people who believe they are British are British, specially if they're born in the United Kingdom! They sing God Save the Queen, their flag is the Union Flag, they posess British passports and they are British....

So who are we to say "you're not British"?

It’s mad thanks to English nationalism and exceptionalism they have alienated the Scots and the Welsh
    The weird irony of it is the English identifies English before they identify as British almost completely
    Thanks to Brexit. The precious union only exists in a certain kind of Tories mind and of course the delusional British cosplayers in Northern Ireland

10-15 years
    addaword wrote: »
    Correct. Anyone who has a British passport is entitled to call themselves British. That is their mainland. Just as someone pointed out 4 or 5 posts ago someone from Sicily is Italian.
    But if you are from Northern Ireland you are Irish-British or Northern Irish-British.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    Runaways wrote: »
    It’s mad thanks to English nationalism and exceptionalism they have alienated the Scots and the Welsh
    The weird irony of it is the English identifies English before they identify as British almost completely
    Thanks to Brexit. The precious union only exists in a certain kind of Tories mind and of course the delusional British cosplayers in Northern Ireland
    Only about 10% of the Welsh support Plaid Cymru. 90% of them don’t seem that alienated from the English ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

jm08 wrote: »
    To distinguish themselves from South and Central Americans. Those from USA and Canada are referred to as North Americans. America is a huge continent.

So is it the ‘ern that is upsetting you? Would you be happy if I referred to myself as north Irish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

blinding wrote: »
    But if you are from Northern Ireland you are Irish-British or Northern Irish-British.

Would you have anything against Sicilians who identify themselves as "Italian"?

blinding wrote: »

Or just British, or Britsh-Irish, or Ulster-Scots, or Northern Irish, or just Irish. Not sure you can preach to any population in the world as to what they should be. The Sicily example is a good one.

You tell the Sicilians they are not Italian, and you might well end up swimmin wit da fishes

10-15 years
    addaword wrote: »
    Would you have anything against Sicilians who identify themselves as "Italian"?
    I’m inclined to agree with Sicilians on all matters. Kapiche;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,207 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Francie, just because you don't want them to be British doesn't fix things for you, you know that.

I have no issue with how anyone wants to identify HC.

Yes, wouldn't it be great in the morning if we all woke up to find that all the Unionists & Loyalists in Northern Ireland had relinquished their Britishness in favour of being Irish Republicans :)

They are British, and they will remain so, and nothing we can say will change that.

Completely misunderstanding the point does not negate it HC.

You did precisely what I said the reason belligerent unionists won't currently accept the designation was.
    They and you are so insecure they think they'll be kissing pictures of the pope.
    Their recent ancestors Trimble, Paisley, Brookeborugh all had no problem being Irish.

Britain is full of people of Irish heritage who are British and who know they'd be considered idiots if they described themselves as 'Irish Only'.

Be honest an awful lot Unionists hate the Irish language because it's a stark reminder that you live in Ireland and you can never ever get away from that fact.

I mean imagine being so bitter about the Irish language you go to the trouble of grinding an Irish word off a manhole cover. Sad bastards.

512739.png

There are plenty of sad bastards around https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.newsletter.co.uk/news/bomb-was-attack-walkers-memory-1000628%3famp

I have no issue with how anyone wants to identify HC. .
    Their recent ancestors Trimble, Paisley, Brookeborugh all had no problem being Irish.

Irish yes, but in the overarching context of Britishness. Paisley said many times that he was a proud Irishman which is great, but he always said it in the context of being British.

Can't you understand that?

It's like we're still at the 1st hurdle of understanding each others beliefs, us Irish them British.

I don't know how we're ever going to unite with the North if we can't even get to grips with their nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,207 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Irish yes, but in the overarching context of Britishness. Paisley said many times that he was a proud Irishman which is great, but he always said it in the context of being British.

Can't you understand that?

It's like we're still at the 1st hurdle of understanding each others beliefs, us Irish them British.

He was Irish and identified as British. Every right under the sun to do it.
    He wasn't insecure about it.

Why do you think in NI that they are so obsessed with the UJ? Like no other people's that identify as British. Those that identify as Irish and who are Irish by birth also, do it as well, but not nearly to the degree that Unionists do and then we have the spat when flying the flag was normalised.

Insecurity, no other reason in the world for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    Paisley said many times that he was a proud Irishman which is great

What's great about it? No individual shoulders more responsibility for stoking the flames of conflict than that monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    downcow wrote: »

Whataboutery and not remotely equivalent.

Does it bother you that the vast majority of names of locations in the north are derived of the Irish language?

10-15 years

Does it bother you that the vast majority of names of locations in the north are derived of the Irish language?

Up Down!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years

Not the same thing at all. I wouldn't expect a statue to Eamonn De Valera/or the Pope to last too long looking down on the Shankill Road!

The biggest laugh of all was unionists forcing McDonalds to change a sign that said 'Yield' to 'Give Way', because 'Yield' is used in the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    So are you telling me that if the French government offered everyone in Northern Ireland a French passport if they wanted one. You would then tell us we were all definitely French?
    It really is irrelevant to me what the ROI government offer me with regard to passports. It does not change who I am

Why do people even bother anymore when this is the level of deliberate beligerance you're dealing with.

It's a waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years

We went through the "An Dún" thing a while ago.

It's rather pointless. I've just read the last 8 pages of nonsense and the strawmen, whataboutery and the sheer lack of intelligence shown was incredible.

If we start treating DC like we should all beligerent unionists, this place will get noticeably quieter. It'll be bliss.

10-15 years
    Why do people even bother anymore when this is the level of deliberate beligerance you're dealing with.

It's a waste of time.

If it doesn’t change who he is By down Cows own logic it will make no difference to him if Ireland is united

Now we are getting somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Good man Keith. Still at it all these years later but the depth of discussion is still at the same level

10-15 years
    I wonder does downcow regret his forbears coming to Ireland ? It looks like he has never settled in.

What's great about it? No individual shoulders more responsibility for stoking the flames of conflict than that monster.

Ironically I am with you on this junkyard and I can’t understand why so many on here are using him as a basis for their argument.
    Although it would be scapegoating a little to place it all on him. There were many many others eg Adams, Maginnis, Adair, wright, etc etc

Not in the slightest. I enjoy the names and their associated meanings. Part of my history and heritage.
    You just don’t get it. I don’t dislike Irish. It’s how it is used. In a community like mine sf have been pushing for decades to make me feel an outsider and inferior (you can see it on here time and again).
    I have nationalist friends who speak and love Irish and I think they should be given ample support to follow that interest. Which they are.
    I guess you don’t dislike music but when it is used to make you feel inferior it’s completely inappropriate

jm08 wrote: »
    Not the same thing at all. I wouldn't expect a statue to Eamonn De Valera/or the Pope to last too long looking down on the Shankill Road!

The biggest laugh of all was unionists forcing McDonalds to change a sign that said 'Yield' to 'Give Way', because 'Yield' is used in the Republic.

Didn’t know about this.
    But I don’t think unionists would have the authority to demand such a change on McDs. But if McDs learnt, what you don’t seem to get, that it was a chill factor to many customers then I could see why they would change it.

We went through the "An Dún" thing a while ago.

It's rather pointless. I've just read the last 8 pages of nonsense and the strawmen, whataboutery and the sheer lack of intelligence shown was incredible.

If we start treating DC like we should all beligerent unionists, this place will get noticeably quieter. It'll be bliss.

Get the belligerent blinkers off Bonnie

Michelle O’Neill was shocking on gmu bbc radio Ulster this morning.
    Simply unbelievable. When she was completely stuck with the questions about the road map ahead she said it was not her responsibility. :o. The interviewer was shocked even by sf normal ducking. He said “you are the joint first minister of the executive!”
    SF just simply are not ready for power. They can snipe and blame others but take zero responsibility.
    Worth a listen She was on about 8.20am

If you ever let them into power in roi you will not have your sorrows to seek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Michelle O’Neill was shocking on gmu bbc radio Ulster this morning.
    Simply unbelievable. When she was completely stuck with the questions about the road map ahead she said it was not her responsibility. :o. The interviewer was shocked even by sf normal ducking. He said “you are the joint first minister of the executive!”
    SF just simply are not ready for power. They can snipe and blame others but take zero responsibility.
    Worth a listen She was on about 8.20am

If you ever let them into power in roi you will not have your sorrows to seek

I doubt no matter what she said you’d be impressed. At least she turns up for interview as opposed to the PM of UK ducking and diving.

I am no supporter of SF but Mary Lou would rip to shreds any politician up north. I am surprised the DUP aren’t advising people to go to their pastor for a cure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement