Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Runaways wrote: »
    Where to even start with that

So you’re British when it suits you

Laughable

Not when it suits. All the time.

same as I would not question the Irishness of those who accept payment from UK

Talks about trying to welcome players from nationalist community who identify as Irish to play with the north and then refers to them as a British team. Shows his bona fides about anthem change.

Its just how it is. They are a British team as are Scotland, wales and England

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    downcow wrote: »
    Not when it suits. All the time.

same as I would not question the Irishness of those who accept payment from UK

So you’re a plastic brit

Interesting

One thing Emma’s victory has done is be a huge Victory for everyone in Northern Ireland

Somehow I doubt more hardline unionists and DUP et cetera will see it that way though

10-15 years
    Its just how it is. They are a British team as are Scotland, wales and England

They aren’t though

If they were there be just one team. Britain. and there’s not there’s four

• Registered Users Posts: 38,572 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    Runaways wrote:
    So you’re British when it suits you
    No he is using a legal loophole to make travelling easier just like anybody in the Republic of Ireland could get a British passport if your grandparents were born before the foundation of the Irish state which makes travel easier to Commonwealth countries.

• Advertisement

Just on a UI, if it did happen I think we'd need a new flag and national anthem among many things that would have to change.
    I hope it doesn't happen in my lifetime but if it did there'd be so much that would have to change in the Republic to accommodate the Unionist supporters and make them feel welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

We can't afford the nordies...

And whether we should ever want to even consider it, is a very valid question imho....

Their in fighting backwards looking ways and retarded economy, publically funded state. Good luck to them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Runaways wrote: »
    They aren’t though

If they were there be just one team. Britain. and there’s not there’s four

True and even in the Olympics it’s GB & NI. Though most up there play for team Ireland anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

daithi7 wrote: »
    We can't afford the nordies...

And whether we should even want to is a very valid question imho....

Their in fighting backwards looking ways and retarded economy, publically funded state. Good luck to them!!

Unfortunately those that are extreme get a lot more attention than they warrant. I have met many moderate unionists who have lived and worked in Dublin who have had no issue going to Croke park and have little interest in religion. While they have a strong sense of British identity and believe they are better with the union they also are pragmatic and accept it may not always be that way.

Unfortunately those that are extreme get a lot more attention than they warrant. I have met many moderate unionists who have lived and worked in Dublin who have had no issue going to Croke park and have little interest in religion. While they have a strong sense of British identity and believe they are better with the union they also are pragmatic and accept it may not always be that way.

I think I tick all those boxes

• Advertisement

One big eye-opener for me since getting involved in this forum, is the level of insecurity amongst many on here who aspire to a united Ireland. Their desperate need to convince anyone who is British lives in this island that they somehow are not British.
    I can't imagine the same people have the same need to convince a French person living here and holding a French passport, that they are actually not French.
    You need to relax, realise that the GFA has outlined what will happen if you ever get a majority that want united Ireland. I am actually not sure what you're trying to convince yourselves of

downcow wrote:
    I can't imagine the same people have the same need to convince a French person living here and holding a French passport, that they are actually not French.
    That's not the same thing at all. A person born in any part of Ireland that is loyal to and wants to be part of the French union is not French. They can be considered French Unionists but they are Irish or Northern Irish. Same as you can be considered a British Unionist. You are not British though imo, you are Northern Irish or Irish whichever suits you best.
    Being a British Unionist is your ideology not your nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just on a UI, if it did happen I think we'd need a new flag and national anthem among many things that would have to change.
    I hope it doesn't happen in my lifetime but if it did there'd be so much that would have to change in the Republic to accommodate the Unionist supporters and make them feel welcome.

Make them feel welcome :(

Well if this thread is anything to go by they will either be wiped out, outbred or exiled to GB from whence they came a few hundred years ago, then we wouldn't have to even think about changing our beloved Anthem or flag (just to include them) :)

PS: They are British.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Make them feel welcome :(

Well if this thread is anything to go by they will either be wiped out, outbred or exiled to GB from whence they came a few hundred years ago,

Where are you getting that in this thread?

That's not the same thing at all. A person born in any part of Ireland that is loyal to and wants to be part of the French union is not French. They can be considered French Unionists but they are Irish or Northern Irish. Same as you can be considered a British Unionist. You are not British though imo, you are Northern Irish or Irish whichever suits you best.
    Being a British Unionist is your ideology not your nationality.

You must know the nonsense of what you're saying. I have a UK of GB & NI passport.
    So really you can think or wish whatever you like but I am clearly British.
    You are demonstrating exactly then security I am talking about.

Maybe you could tell me what you think makes someone British?

You must know the nonsense of what you're saying. I have a UK of GB & NI passport.

And when you hand over your new Irish passport you are Irish.

Passports are issued when you meet citizenship requirements which is what you will do to get an Irish one, English people who meet the requirements will get one too. Same with a British passport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    I would have no qualms about ‘using’ an Irish passport. I won’t feel the slightest bit more Irish, but I will have all the being it’s when I travel Europe to follow my beloved british team, Northern Ireland.
    It’s a no brainier to get one of you are eligible. Just really an enhanced insurance
    You’ll be grand in a United Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    I would have no qualms about ‘using’ an Irish passport. I won’t feel the slightest bit more Irish, but I will have all the being it’s when I travel Europe to follow my beloved british team, Northern Ireland.
    It’s a no brainier to get one of you are eligible. Just really an enhanced insurance
    They would be a United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland team.

downcow wrote:
    You must know the nonsense of what you're saying. I have a UK of GB & NI passport. So really you can think or wish whatever you like but I am clearly British. You are demonstrating exactly then security I am talking about.
    I'm not for a United Ireland though. I have no insecurities as regards my it anybody else's nationality, ideology etc.
    You have it in your post there, GB and 'NI'. Surely it'd be just GB if you were a part of Great Britain?
    downcow wrote:
    Being born on the island of Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Talking of passports, there are different kinds depending on if you are a British citizen or not, and as regards UK citizens, they all have the same British passport in England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland.

Overseas territories have their own versions of the British passport which is not the same as a UK one.

eagle eye, what are you doing, who are you to tell a people what their Nationality is.

• Advertisement

I'm not for a United Ireland though. I have no insecurities as regards my it anybody else's nationality, ideology etc.
    You have it in your post there, GB and 'NI'. Surely it'd be just GB if you were a part of Great Britain?

Being born on the island of Britain.

I was not born in Britain, nor do I live in Britain. I was born and live in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    I am just not sure which bit of this you do not understand. Anyone born in the United Kingdom is British. If you are born in the Northern Irish bit then the ROI government have kindly guaranteed, that if you request it, they will provide you with an Irish passport.

We can be either nationality, but our default position is British.

Is there a piece of this you cannot get your head around.
    Next you'll be telling us that the people who live on Aran Island are not Irish?

10-15 years
    I think I tick all those boxes

Eeehhhhhhh

Your entire contribution to this thread and your own posting history Calls lie to that

eagle eye, what are you doing, who are you to tell a people what their Nationality is.
    Your nationality is where you were born. If you are born on the island of Great Britain you are British, if you are born in the Isle of Man you are Manx, if you were born on the Orkneys you are Orcadian, Shetland born are Shetlanders ergo Northern Ireland born are Northern Irish or just Irish if they prefer.

10-15 years

You also have an Irish passport according to yourself

You are troll comedy gold down Cow

Runaways wrote:
    You also have an Irish passport according to yourself
    You are troll comedy gold down Cow
    He puts a lot more time and effort into his posts than you. I think this post of yours is a description of what you accuse him of.

10-15 years
    Talking of passports, there are different kinds depending on if you are a British citizen or not, and as regards UK citizens, they all have the same British passport in England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland.

Overseas territories have their own versions of the British passport which is not the same as a UK one.

You should go to London and try spend some Ulster bank £20 notes

They won’t take them anywhere But yeah tell us about the precious union don’t make me laugh

Runaways wrote:
    They won’t take them anywhere But yeah tell us about the precious union don’t make me laugh
    More horse manure.Good man.

10-15 years
    He puts a lot more time and effort into his posts than you. I think this post of yours is a description of what you accuse him of.

Everyone else takes him Relatively seriously he needs pointing at and laughing asked for the stupidity he very often comes out with

Downcow just defeated his own argument re; Passports though. It was comedy gold to see it.

• Advertisement

There's no need for anybody to troll him though. He is a long time around and deserves respect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement