Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    downcow wrote: »
    I was not born in Britain, nor do I live in Britain. I was born and live in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    I am just not sure which bit of this you do not understand. Anyone born in the United Kingdom is British. If you are born in the Northern Irish bit then the ROI government have kindly guaranteed, that if you request it, they will provide you with an Irish passport.

We can be either nationality, but our default position is British.

Is there a piece of this you cannot get your head around.
    Next you'll be telling us that the people who live on Aran Island are not Irish?

One minute you’re British the next you’re rattling on about are wee country

So presumably you mean the country you’re in Ireland that I looked Britain is a pretty big Island Northern Ireland isn’t on it

• Registered Users Posts: 38,572 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    Downcow, I really hope you have runaways on ignore.

10-15 years
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Downcow, I really hope you have runaways on ignore.

And miss out on all this glorious insight?

He’s a self-confessed prod parody account it’s just for lolls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Your nationality is where you were born.

Sorry mate but this is complete rubbish. I could give you half a dozen examples just using Irish rugby players to show what nonsense this statement is.

10-15 years
    Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Sorry mate but this is complete rubbish. I could give you half a dozen examples just using Irish rugby players to show what nonsense this statement is.

really
    You don’t want to tell the Americans in the British that their deporting British born and American born citizens who just happens to be Different ethnicities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Runaways wrote: »
    You also have an Irish passport according to yourself

You are troll comedy gold down Cow

when did i say i had an irish passport - absolutely not!

....but if it suits me for ease of travel and I can't get any other european one, then i will be pragmatic and get one. But i will still hold my british passport and be british

Yeah_Right wrote:
    Just because they play for Ireland doesn't make them Irish. You can become a citizen but if you were born in South Africa you are South African not Irish.

10-15 years
    More horse manure.Good man.

5 million Scottish people and 1 million people from Ulster are laughing at you right now
    Sterling from both places cannot be spent in England
    This is a fact

You should go to London and try spend some Ulster bank £20 notes

They won’t take them anywhere But yeah tell us about the precious union don’t make me laugh

Yeah thats a bit of a nonsense - same with scottiish notes

Runaways wrote:
    5 million Scottish people and 1 million people from Ulster are laughing at you right now Sterling from both places cannot be spent in England This is a fact
    And it doesn't concern me in the slightest. Your disrespectful attitude is what I'm on about

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    when did i say i had an irish passport - absolutely not!

....but if it suits me for ease of travel and I can't get any other european one, then i will be pragmatic and get one. But i will still hold my british passport and be british

Apparently you lot are known for pragmatism not that you’d know that looking at your governance the last few years say 400 or so

Being the pragmatic ulster man you are You will see the benefits of a united Ireland in time and I welcome you to take full advantage of it

You’ll be home at last

5 million Scottish people and 1 million people from Ulster are laughing at you right now
    Sterling from both places cannot be spent in England
    This is a fact

Well it is not actually fact - but then we don't get much back from you Runaways.
    I have spent Northern Ireland notes often in both Scotland and England. It is a bit hit and miss, but I find most of Scotland and places like Liverpool etc are inclined to accept them.

They are not legal tender in England. I think it is a nonsense that every little bank in Northern Ireland and Scotland insist on putting their own notes. I don't know how it was ever allowed to happen.

But I am not sure the point you're making, suggesting that this somehow makes me less British.
    Need I point out to you, that your very point, would suggest people in Northern Ireland are not very Irish, as they cannot use their money in the 'motherland'

10-15 years
    Just because they play for Ireland doesn't make them Irish. You can become a citizen but if you were born in South Africa you are South African not Irish.

I’m just now remembering your whole marriage is between a man and a woman thing a few years back during marriage equality makes sense that you think like this that’s a lie it makes no sense

10-15 years
    Well it is not actually fact - but then we don't get much back from you Runaways.
    I have spent Northern Ireland notes often in both Scotland and England. It is a bit hit and miss, but I find most of Scotland and places like Liverpool etc are inclined to accept them.

They are not legal tender in England. I think it is a nonsense that every little bank in Northern Ireland and Scotland insist on putting their own notes. I don't know how it was ever allowed to happen.

But I am not sure the point you're making, suggesting that this somehow makes me less British.
    Need I point out to you, that your very point, would suggest people in Northern Ireland are not very Irish, as they cannot use their money in the 'motherland'

So you’re agreeing with me but going backwards around the mountain to do it

I swear to God there is something in the water up there

Apparently you lot are known for pragmatism not that you’d know that looking at your governance the last few years say 400 or so

Being the pragmatic ulster man you are You will see the benefits of a united Ireland in time and I welcome you to take full advantage of it

You’ll be home at last

Runaways invite/welcome has set me thinking.

Something I meant to ask you guys who live in ROI, as I get all sorts of different information in this.

I got a tiny piece of metal in my eye the other night. If that had happened me in ROI what was the process? Would I pay anything to get examined by the doc? Would I pay to get it removed? And what about the eyedrops etc that I received, would I pay for them? and/or pay for the prescription?

I would just be interested in some factual information on this - that might be a stretch for you Runaway - but anyone can answer

10-15 years
    Just to add I grew up in Dublin and remember all the shops locally and presumably pubs would take sterling they don’t anymore though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Just to add I grew up in Dublin and remember all the shops locally and presumably pubs would take sterling they don’t anymore though

Sterling and the punt used to be linked. Then it stopped being linked and of course then the Euro.

10-15 years

Something I meant to ask you guys who live in ROI, as I get all sorts of different information in this.

I got a tiny piece of metal in my eye the other night. If that had happened me in ROI what was the process? Would I pay anything to get examined by the doc? Would I pay to get it removed? And what about the eyedrops etc that I received, would I pay for them? and/or pay for the prescription?

I would just be interested in some factual information on this - that might be a stretch for you Runaway - but anyone can answer

You’d Knock in to Nan four doors down and she’ll clatter the back of your head and get it out you’ll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Your nationality is where you were born. If you are born on the island of Great Britain you are British, if you are born in the Isle of Man you are Manx, if you were born on the Orkneys you are Orcadian, Shetland born are Shetlanders ergo Northern Ireland born are Northern Irish or just Irish if they prefer.

...and if your are born in the United Kingdom you are by default British.

I'm now curious eagle eye, what are you actually trying to achieve here :cool:

The whole argument surrounding Northern Ireland since it's inception was the fact that's the majority of its citizens were/Are of the British & Unionist persuasion, hence the other half of the population are/were Irish Nationalist. Nothing has changed apart from you (self proclaimed expert) yelling Downcow and his/her fellow countrymen that THEY ARE NOT BRITISH !!!

Since when we're they not British?
    I remember well the "Brits out" slogans carried by Republicans during the Troubles, with the proviso that it wasn't against the British people but against the British Army. So Brits out meant British Army out, and not the British Unionist population.

downcow wrote:

Unless you were not working or an old age pensioner you would pay your doctor.
    If you go public health to the hospital under referral from your doctor you do not pay. You don't have to go back to your doctor for referrals for each visit for the same medical issue just initially. If you go to the hospital on your own without referral I believe there is a charge.
    Obviously if you go private it's a whole different ball game.

• Advertisement

really
    You don’t want to tell the Americans in the British that their deporting British born and American born citizens who just happens to be Different ethnicities

What??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years

I can give you a heads up, having experienced both emergency and non-emergency surgery in both the North and in Dublin.

For my non-emergency treatment in Dublin, I paid for a GP visit, and was referred to a hospital for surgery. The process was MUCH faster than my non-emergency treatment in the North, where I was on a waiting list for a long time for another non-emergency surgery about twelve years back. My health insurance then sent me back the money I spent for the GP visit, and my health insurance details were taken at the hospital, and they were paid directly by my insurer. I spent around €12 on the prescription afterwards, as this isn't covered by my health insurance. All in all, I would consider the €12 extra expense worth it for the increased speed I received my treatment. I receive my health insurance through work, along with a salary in significant excess of what I would in the North. All in all, my non-emergency healthcare was not negatively impacted by not having the NHS.

As for my emergency care, in the North, during my younger years, after an accident, I was taken by ambulance to my local hospital, examined and stabilised before being put into another ambulance and brought straight to the Altnagelvin, where I received absolutely fantastic treatment, indeed the staff there are the reason I still have the lower half of my right leg. At the time, there was a bed shortage in the Altnagelvin, so I stayed in a large geriatric ward for the weeks I was recovering.

In Dublin, I presented to A&E with an emergency, was immediately triaged through, examined and admitted at Connolly Hospital, a few minutes later, I was being brought across to Beaumont, arrived to an ENT doctor waiting for me, straight in to surgery, out to a private room, where I spent around a week. Around two days after my surgery, I was asked if I had health insurance or a medical card, I told them I had health insurance, they took my details and were paid directly by my insurers. I wasn't out of pocket at all during this time.

Health insurance is an almost universal perk to any professional level employment down here, so it isn't very likely I'll ever be in a position where I don't have the type of treatment I outlined above, however there are also protections in place for those who aren't fortunate enough to earn much, in the form of a medical card. The only difference in treatment I would've received with a medical card versus my health insurance is that I would have been on a ward rather than a private room in the hospital.

Neither the HSE nor the NHS are perfect, but apart from my private room and giving someone my health insurance details, not much of a difference.

I'm now curious eagle eye, what are you actually trying to achieve here
    I'm not trying to achieve anything, just having a conversation.

10-15 years
    The NHS in Northern Ireland is in crisis and the worst performing in the union

And just to echo the previous point I’ve had medical insurance and I’ve had a medical card and I could not tell you the difference apart from having a private room the service and care is exactly the same

What about someone born in Israel to Irish parents and raised in Ireland. Are they Israeli?

Yeah_Right wrote:
    What about someone born in Israel to Irish parents and raised in Ireland. Are they Israeli?
    Here we go, let's find every little avenue to make my argument right. That's not what we are talking about.

Here we go, let's find every little avenue to make my argument right. That's not what we are talking about.

You're the one that said "your nationality is where you were born". I disagree. I'm simply showing some problems with that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

We could be here for eternity with you TELLING downcow that he/she is not British, while they tell you they are!

Total waste of time.

Yeah_Right wrote:
    You're the one that said "your nationality is where you were born". I disagree. I'm simply showing some problems with that statement.
    Yeah, you are acting like a child trying to find issues but what you've come up with is not relevant to the discussion.
    We could be here for eternity with you TELLING downcow that he/she is not British, while they tell you they are!
    I've given my side of it.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you are acting like a child trying to find issues but what you've come up with is not relevant to the discussion.

I've given my side of it.

Pointing out that you are wrong, is acting like a child?? Are you a Sinn Fein supporter? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement