Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long before Irish reunification?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Im running out of internet crayons....northern ireland/irish citizenship simply deosnt legally exist??

(Show.me a NI issued passport,or citizenship papers perhaps?)

Quite why you fake-pretend to be unable to grasp.this is beyond me....a schoolchild can see through your pretend ignorance......

ive enough to do on a sunday,than entertain your rubbish,at least downcow is reasonable honest and deosnt play pretend stupidness

So your right and the people of Northern Ireland are wrong. You do realize you are arguing against a census, not me?

You do understand people in the North can get an Irish and British passport?

Personally I don’t use crayons on internet, it’s makes a mess of the laptop screen. Maybe that’s your problem, stop using crayons

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Yes?

Do you understand significance of a peace treaty lodged at the UN....which is of a higher value legally?

Your free to call people there northern irish all yous want,indeed head up about cappagh and let me know how that geos for you btw

Its just NI isnt a country,nor deos it issue passports.....its just quiet poor flaming by you (as usual) and a 2 year old can see through it

Try telling the Scots, welsh or English they are not a country because they don’t issue passports

I can only assume you are deliberately ignoring things I write, because the following is in a previous post of mine that you then quoted from....

"I don't belong to any church thank you very much. Personally, religion is just nonsense to me and it makes me sad to see how much conflict it has caused and continues to cause. I respect people if they want to believe in a religion, but believe it should be a personal matter and not relevant to public affairs and that includes Catholics in Ireland. All religions tried to persecute other religions during the 16-19th Centuries. I find the 12th troublesome, because it celebrates a Battle from that period of religious intolerance and whilst religious intolerance has mostly been left behind, it is still the basis of the OO/12th July Celebrations. Those kind of events/groups belong in the past, regardless of religion"

My issue is not that it happened, but why it is still celebrated in a modern society. I have asked before and never received an answer, is there any other Event in the World that has religious intolerance at it's core and is celebrated as a "cultural event". Yes, Downcow and other Unionists will claim it is a family and community day out, that it doesn't mean offence to anyone, but that is kind of hollow when King William is displayed everywhere and the bonfires are going. The fact the OO(No Catholics allowed) are the main organisers also reinforces the intolerance part.

The sad reality is many events in Northern Ireland are attended mainly be one side or other. Unionists stay clear of St Patrick’s parades, gaa, Easter rising stuff, fleadhs, trad music, etc. Nationalists stay clear of 12th, remembrance day, rugby, cricket, etc.
    ...and of course there are exceptions and increasing numbers of catholics are participating in rugby, attending 12th and I guess some smaller number of unionists are attending trad music etc

Im running out of internet crayons....northern ireland/irish citizenship simply deosnt legally exist??

Quite why you fake-pretend to be unable to grasp.this is beyond me....a schoolchild can see through your pretend ignorance......

ive enough to do on a sunday,than entertain your rubbish,at least downcow is reasonable honest and deosnt play pretend stupidness

So please tell me do you deny people the right to be Scottish on the same grounds????

Looks to me,like.scotland will soon be in a position to do so (all going well)

Try answering the question from reality as opposed to your aspirations?

• Advertisement

Agh yes....There we have it....the absolute lack of intellectual ability to counter any point raised regarding the legality and standing of the gfa,preferring instead to scream census over and over :pac:

Like i said,your free to call them,what.you want...just legally you are incorrect here

So you agree I am right? the people of Northern Ireland are not Irish?

They are British or Irish on passport, but accordiong to census they are Irish, Northern Irish and British.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Not according to the people who live in Northern Ireland

The question of national identity[2] was asked in the 2011 census with the three most common identities given being British, Northern Irish and Irish.

Personally I would always call them Northern Irish. Calling them Irish is not correct, do you not think so?
    If they call themselves Irish , I wouldn’t be arguing with them;););)

They are as Irish as I am especially when they see it that way.

downcow wrote: »
    Try answering the question from reality as opposed to your aspirations?

He clearly hasn't a clue what he is talking about. It is baffling that someone is so ignorant they want to argue against a census of the people in a country.

Agh yes....There we have it....the absolute lack of intellectual ability to counter any point raised regarding the legality and standing of the gfa,preferring instead to scream census over and over :pac:

Like i said,your free to call them,what.you want...just legally you are incorrect here

....and maybe also send a wee message to the Palestinians to tell them you regard them as isrealies

blinding wrote: »
    If they call themselves Irish , I wouldn’t be arguing with them;););)

They are as Irish as I am especially when they see it that way.

So you agree your comment was wrong?

• Advertisement

I’m still waiting a wee update on whether Scottish people exist. I have a few friends who think they are Scottish and I can’t wait to tell them they don’t exist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years
    So you agree I am right? the people of Northern Ireland are not Irish?

They are British or Irish on passport, but accordiong to census they are Irish, Northern Irish and British.

So, are you trying to claim that Mary McAlease and Seamus Heaney are/were Northern Irish and not Irish?

jm08 wrote: »
    So, are you trying to claim that Mary McAlease and Seamus Heaney are/were Northern Irish and not Irish?

All I am saying is that call everyone in Northern Ireland "Irish" is incorrect. As per the census they say they are Irish, Northern Irish and British.

10-15 years
    So you agree your comment was wrong?
    You would be much better off finding out what a Person from The North / Northern Ireland considers themselves to be rather than jumping to your own Judgement. You would get the Most Accurate Answer.

You would be much better off finding out what a Person from The North / Northern Ireland considers themselves to be rather than jumping to your own Judgement. You would get the Most Accurate Answer.

So you didn't read my response eother? maybe if I bold it.
    Not according to the people who live in Northern Ireland

The question of national identity[2] was asked in the 2011 census with the three most common identities given being British, Northern Irish and Irish.

Personally I would always call them Northern Irish. Calling them Irish is not correct, do you not think so?

That is a quote in regards to census.

10-15 years
    If they are born in Northern Ireland they are British Irish or British Northern Irish that is unless they are ashamed of where they are born ! ! !

Anyway let each of them speak for themselves !

If they are born in Northern Ireland they are British Irish or British Northern Irish that is unless they are ashamed of where they are born ! ! !

Anyway let each of them speak for themselves !

So you calling them Irish is wrong?

10-15 years
    So you calling them Irish is wrong?
    No. Lets say they were born in Ireland / Northern Ireland and they answered Ireland or Northern Ireland if asked. And if some one asked you later where is so and so from, you could quite correctly answer ; Ireland.:D

I think that what she done. That is exact what a census is

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

The sad reality is many events in Northern Ireland are attended mainly be one side or other. Unionists stay clear of St Patrick’s parades, gaa, Easter rising stuff, fleadhs, trad music, etc. Nationalists stay clear of 12th, remembrance day, rugby, cricket, etc.
    ...and of course there are exceptions and increasing numbers of catholics are participating in rugby, attending 12th and I guess some smaller number of unionists are attending trad music etc

Unionists do not attend any events they perceive as being Irish in nature, which of course is their right and I have no problem with that, but none of those events are really based on the denigration of Protestants. You might argue they have been weaponised(what hasnt in NI?) but their origins are not based on intolerance of the other side or about lording it over the other side. A Protestant can participate in any of those activities if they so wish, a Catholic cannot join the OO.

If you go to a fleadh in the Republic, you are going to an event that celebrates Traditional Irish Music dating back how long?, if you go to an OO 12th celebration in the Republic, you are still celebrating the supremacy of Protestants over Catholics.

• Advertisement

Would you have time to use your crayons once more and tell me if Scottish people exist ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

OMG I'm just back from my coffee and you're still at it. I really thought I'd covered all angles in #8820.

Obviously not :(

No. Lets say they were born in Ireland / Northern Ireland and they answered Ireland or Northern Ireland if asked. And if some one asked you later where is so and so from, you could quite correctly answer ; Ireland.:D

What?

So I meet someone and I ask them where they are from, they say France and later someone asks me where they are from and I say Germany. I am quite correct am I?

OMG I'm just back from my coffee and you're still at it. I really thought I'd covered all angles in #8820.

Seemingly not, a census result is not enough evidence either.... :-)

Tbf I think 90% on here are fairly much in agreement, just a few extreme outliers. Who it seems may think Scots don’t exist either.

Tbf I think 90% on here are fairly much in agreement, just a few extreme outliers. Who it seems may think Scots don’t exist either.

Lol, not often I feel in the big majority on this forum :0

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

Unionists do not attend any events they perceive as being Irish in nature, which of course is their right and I have no problem with that,
    Rubbish. You are still denigrating the other side. Would you not say Irish rugby matches are"Irish in nature" Yet they go to those do they not?

a Catholic cannot join the OO.
    So what...a Protestant cannot join the Catholic church or Opus Dei or the Knights. So what? There are two sides in it. And when the 2 sides meet and want to get married, remember in the 20th century it was the Catholic church which forced the offspring of such marriages to be brought up Catholic. It was the Catholic church which was the most bitter and uncompromising.
    Time you realised our own side was as bad if not worse than "them uns".

10-15 years
    What?

So I meet someone and I ask them where they are from, they say France and later someone asks me where they are from and I say Germany. I am quite correct am I?
    If you had banged your head seriously in between times ! !:D

10-15 years
    Didn’t the Scots have the chance to Vote themselves to be an Independent Country and they turned it down. They can hardly claim to be an Independent Country. They should Re-Name the Place North-England ! !:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

addaword wrote: »
    Rubbish. You are still denigrating the other side. Would you not say Irish rugby matches are"Irish in nature" Yet they go to those do they not?

So what...a Protestant cannot join the Catholic church or Opus Dei or the Knights. So what? There are two sides in it. And when the 2 sides meet and want to get married, remember in the 20th century it was the Catholic church which forced the offspring of such marriages to be brought up Catholic. It was the Catholic church which was the most bitter and uncompromising.
    Time you realised our own side was as bad if not worse than "them uns".

I told you before I think religion is bollocks so this 'my side' thing is nonsense, though I am starting to get the impression you have comprehension issues.

Would Unionists going to rugby be because they do not perceive Rugby to be an Irish Cultural event, or they have no other team as rugby is an AI sport. I watched that Brian O'Driscoll documentary about this issue and he still seemed as confused at the end as he was at the start.

Opus Dei??, how many people do you know in Opus Dei or the Knights?? and again what relevance does it have to Ireland? And I am pretty sure people can convert to Catholicism.

As for Catholic Church insisting children be brought up Catholic, I dont doubt it existed but in my lifetime at least, was not too seriously implemented. I lived in a pretty mixed area growing up and in general children in mixed marriages were brought up whatever way the parents determined, sometimes Catholic only, sometimes Protestant only and sometimes the religion would match the gender of the parent. I think it depended more on how stongly each parent felt about their religion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement