Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

blinding wrote: »
    The Electorate of the 6 Counties ;) / Northern Ireland.

So you want a referendum but don’t want to ask the people of Rep of Ireland?

Don’t think that will happen, Northern Ireland is propped up by the UK government, no harm to them but we can’t afford them. As I already posted they are a basket case because of the likes of Sinn Fein/DUP.

Just look at other thread when I asked what good Sinn Fein has done since Good Friday. The parades commission was one of the answers, along with a load of fluff, no changes to public transport, investing in infrastructure. No a parades commission. The other was a police force, wooo hooo. Absolute disaster.

Rep of Ireland cannot support Northern Ireland simple as that. So run a referendum but it would be both sides of border and don’t expect a positive response

The majority of people interested in a United ireland are Sinn Fein supporter, the majority of them sitting on social and will never have to pay taxes for it. Let’s see how patriotic they are when you said 50 quid a month is gone off the social.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    Redgirl82 wrote: »
    So you want a referendum but don’t want to ask the people of Rep of Ireland?

Don’t think that will happen, Northern Ireland is propped up by the UK government, no harm to them but we can’t afford them. As I already posted they are a basket case because of the likes of Sinn Fein/DUP.

Just look at other thread when I asked what good Sinn Fein has done since Good Friday. The parades commission was one of the answers, along with a load of fluff, no changes to public transport, investing in infrastructure. No a parades commission. The other was a police force, wooo hooo. Absolute disaster.

Rep of Ireland cannot support 30% in public jobs, simple as that. So run a referendum but it would be both sides of border and don’t expect a positive response

The majority of people interested in a United ireland are Sinn Fein supporter, the majority of them sitting on social and will never have to pay taxes for it. Let’s see how patriotic they are when you said 50 quid a month is gone off the social.
    Sure I have no problem asking the Republic of Ireland. Don’t FFG / Irish Labour / Sinn Fein have official party policies of supporting a United Ireland. Sure the Eu is signed up now , I believe ! !

Sure I have no problem asking the Republic of Ireland. Don’t FFG / Irish Labour / Sinn Fein have official party policies of supporting a United Ireland. Sure the Eu is signed up now , I believe ! !

Of course they have a policy, tick in box. Do they want it? Different question

So can someone explain to me how Rep of Ireland could support Northern Ireland if we joined?

10-15 years
    Of course they have a policy, tick in box. Do they want it? Different question

So can someone explain to me how Rep of Ireland could support Northern Ireland if we joined?
    In life sometime ya just have to get on with things just like our ancestors did.

Just as we are doing now. Sure the Eu is on board and seem mad keen on getting Northern Ireland.

Sure the Eu was all over that border like a rash.

You are not saying the Southern Parties and Sinn Fein are paying Lip service to their official party policies ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It was only after the PIRA murders and bombings stopped that SF support started to rise while the SDLPs power started to stagnate & decline within the Nationalist community.

This is a comfort blanket/myth indulged in by partitionists and Unionists.

This statement is completely wrong and is not borne out by the stats. SF's electoral support grew throughout the 80's and 90's while the conflict/war was raging.
    In the 1987 General Election they had 12% of the vote and one MP, while the SDLP had 21% and 3 MP's by 1997 they had 17% of the vote and 2 MPS, while the SDLP had 24% and 3 MP's, before finally eclipsing the SDLP in the 2001 BEFORE the IRA had decommissioned.

Unpalatable facts but facts all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

10-15 years
    For the Avoidance of doubt this is a mmassive win for everyone in Northern Ireland
    They’re all Eu ccitizzens first when it comes to the important matters

https://twitter.com/emmandjdesouza/status/1262295741181104128?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

This is a comfort blanket/myth indulged in by partitionists and Unionists.

This statement is completely wrong and is not borne out by the stats. SF's electoral support grew throughout the 80's and 90's while the conflict/war was raging.
    In the 1987 General Election they had 12% of the vote and one MP, while the SDLP had 21% and 3 MP's by 1997 they had 17% of the vote and 2 MPS, while the SDLP had 24% and 3 MP's, before finally eclipsing the SDLP in the 2001 BEFORE the IRA had decommissioned.

Unpalatable facts but facts all the same.

Francie, for someone who claims NOT to support Sinn Fein or the PIRA you're certainly giving them a big thumbs up!

Even your use of language (partititionists & Unionists) and the avoidance at all costs of the term The Troubles backs up my suspicions about you :cool:

I am old enough to remember that the Shinners didn't overtake the SDLP untill after the Belfast - Good Friday agreement in 1998 (not 2001).

I remember well the heartache & the headache for everybody else going ahead with the agreement on a promise from SF/IRA that their campaign was over.....so for you to suggest that it was the armalite & semtex that won the day tells me you're more than likely a sympathiser.

We in the South of all political persuasions abhorred the actions of the PIRA. We also abhorred the support of Sinn Fein, hence we steered well clear of them during The Troubles.

If you supported the armed struggle then just tell us why don't you? and stop hiding behind a wall while pulling a string.

In life sometime ya just have to get on with things just like our ancestors did.

Just as we are doing now. Sure the Eu is on board and seem mad keen on getting Northern Ireland.

Sure the Eu was all over that border like a rash.

You are not saying the Southern Parties and Sinn Fein are paying Lip service to their official party policies ;););)

The EU was all over the border because they wanted to be as difficult as possible with the UK. Make sure it looked like a disaster so if any other country thought about leaving they could point at UK and say, look at that mess. Sure sections of it are still in EU.

The EU won't care when the Rep of Ireland is left trying to pay for the North. Maybe we could take on Northern Ireland if the EU covered our bank bailout costs. Lets see what the EU reaction would be then

10-15 years
    The EU was all over the border because they wanted to be as difficult as possible with the UK. Make sure it looked like a disaster so if any other country thought about leaving they could point at UK and say, look at that mess. Sure sections of it are still in EU.

The EU won't care when the Rep of Ireland is left trying to pay for the North. Maybe we could take on Northern Ireland if the EU covered our bank bailout costs. Lets see what the EU reaction would be then
    The Eu were slabbering all over the Border. You are not saying they were only pretend flirting and never intended to put out ;);):eek::D

• Advertisement

Francie, for someone who claims NOT to support Sinn Fein or the PIRA you're certainly giving them a big thumbs up!

Even your use of language (partititionists & Unionists) and the avoidance at all costs of the term The Troubles backs up my suspicions about you :cool:

I am old enough to remember that the Shinners didn't overtake the SDLP untill after the Belfast - Good Friday agreement in 1998 (not 2001).

I remember well the heartache & the headache for everybody else going ahead with the agreement on a promise from SF/IRA that their campaign was over.....so for you to suggest that it was the armalite & semtex that won the day tells me you're more than likely a sympathiser.

We in the South of all political persuasions abhorred the actions of the PIRA. We also abhorred the support of Sinn Fein hence we steered well clear of them.

If you supported the armed struggle then just tell us why don't you? and stop hiding behind a wall while pulling a string.

I tell the truth about history HC.

You invent stuff and you have just been caught doing it...and what do you do? You start casting aspersions about the poster who challenged you.

Debate the issues raised about your post...not me.

You said:
    It was only after the PIRA murders and bombings stopped that SF support started to rise while the SDLPs power started to stagnate & decline within the Nationalist community.

Are you willing to withdraw this statement now that the facts in black and white completely refute it?

SF's support grew steadily during the 80' and 90's while the conflict/war/troubles (call it whatever you need to) was raging. And SF eclipsed the SDLP before the IRA had decommissioned in 2001.

10-15 years

Lol
    You really need to look up howMuch the EU put into ni each year as it is
    They’ll be there with stability funds and infrastructure funds when the poll passes

SF's support grew steadily during the 80' and 90's while the conflict/war/troubles (call it whatever you need to) was raging. And SF eclipsed the SDLP before the IRA had decommissioned in 2001.

No, I will not get into a tit for tat struggle with you to endorse 'your version' of the truth. I remember well, as do the history books that the Belfast agreement was written & signed in 1998 and that it was David Trimble who stood side by side with John Hume, and not your hero Gerry Adams.

I will now stop engaging with you before you try and twist anymore facts.

Question: What is your real reason for not refering to The Troubles? Why won't you use that term :cool:

Runaways wrote: »
    Lol
    They’ll be there with stability funds and infrastructure funds when the poll passes

A UI is now

In the EU's interests,
    In the UK's interests
    and in Ireland as an island's interest, in real and practicable ways

It is not in the interests of a decreasing amount of belligerent Unionists and partitionists for abstract reasons only.

10-15 years
    Lol
    The Germans will be all over it. They love a Re-Unification :D

10-15 years
    Ps the Eu didn’t make n i an
    Issue just to stick it to the Brits

It’s a border with the Eu. They were always going to protect it
    Whillle the British were happy to totally ignore the topic
    They literally forgot about Northern Ireland and the border
    It’s insane but thats brexit for you

Pps the Eu will fund ni to the tenth degree post reunion and that will be to show ordinary Brits in uk if it sstill exxists then how much better off they would be in the eu

10-15 years
    Ppps

IT was Sinn Fein called for special status for Northern Ireland not fg but wasnt long before they stole the idea and sold it as their own

No, I will not get into a tot for tat struggle with you to endorse 'your version' of the truth. I remember well as do the history books that the Belfast agreement was written & signed in 1998 and that it was David Trimble who stood side by side with John Hume, and not your hero Gerry Adams.

I will now stop engaging with you before you try and twist anymore facts.

What you mean of course is that you cannot get away with ignoring the facts.

Typical of you, you only look at the photo's you want to look at.
    GFA-GROUP-CLINTON-ETC.jpg
    D3vgZk7W0AAzNeJ.jpg
    Question: What is your real reason for not refering to The Troubles? Why won't you use that term :cool:

Different people use different terms. I always thought 'The Troubles' trivialised what people actually went through.

I did ask this before, for all the people talking about Unified Ireland, how exactly is Rep of Ireland going to support Northern Ireland?

Where is the money coming from?

Brussels?

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    A UI is now

In the EU's interests,
    In the UK's interests
    and in Ireland as an island's interest, in real and practicable ways

It is not in the interests of a decreasing amount of belligerent Unionists and partitionists for abstract reasons only.

Post UI unionists will be grand and granted special ethic status protected in the constitution.

Up to them now to engage with the conversation and make their needs known or they’ll be left behind

This is all only going one way
    Therell be a United Ireland
    Folks would want to get used to it

A picture with Bill Clinton.

Adams brought in from the cold, post agreement.

10-15 years
    I did ask this before, for all the people talking about Unified Ireland, how exactly is Rep of Ireland going to support Northern Ireland?

We spend three times more on the hse than ni would cost us annually

10-15 years

It will require an increase in taxes for a few temporary years while the North is brought in line with the rest of Ireland. The UK will be required to guarantee the pensions of public sector workers they are liable for. The EU will provide a stability fund and further investments.

10-15 years
    A picture with Bill Clinton.

Adams brought in from the cold, post agreement.

This Is literally revisionist Bull

GFA couldn’t have happened without Adams or Mmg getting nationalism to buy in

You are a spoofer

This Is literally revisionist Bull

GFA couldn’t have happened without Adams or Mmg getting nationalism to buy in

You are a spoofer

Ha ha, that picture was taken in 2000 :D

The GFA agreement was signed in 1998.

The northern counties will be integrated into a UI.
    nobody knows how much it will cost.
    of course you will get the big 'scary' numbers promoted by those who are partitionist and Unionist...this can vary on any given day from 8 BILLIONS to 12 BILLIONS and I have even seen 22 BILLIONS mentioned. (It's more effective if you shout those figures in a room with an echo. :) I'm a bit breathless myself after typing them :))

Truth is we need a full and transparent discussion with the British on what NI actually costs and what it creates. What costs can be subtracted from the subvention (Contributions towrds the Armed Services ) etc.
    Then a package can be put together to minimise those costs, which will decrease as the public service bill is reduced and waste (doubling up of costs)is eliminated. That will also be the point when support from The EU etc will be sought.
    There is a school of thought (me included) who believe that the British will support it heavily too as what they do not need is a statelet imploding on their doorstep for which they are partly responsible. It is hugely in their interests that a UI is stable.

10-15 years
    The northern counties will be integrated into a UI.
    nobody knows how much it will cost.
    of course you will get the big 'scary' numbers promoted by those who are partitionist and Unionist...this can vary on any given day from 8 BILLIONS to 12 BILLIONS and I have even seen 22 BILLIONS mentioned. (It's more effective if you shout those figures in a room with an echo. :) I'm a bit breathless myself after typing them :))

Truth is we need a full and transparent discussion with the British on what NI actually costs and what it creates. What costs can be subtracted from the subvention (Contributions towrds the Armed Services ) etc.
    Then a package can be put together to minimise those costs, which will decrease as the public service bill is reduced and waste (doubling up of costs)is eliminated. That will also be the point when support from The EU etc will be sought.
    There is a school of thought (me included) who believe that the British will support it heavily too as what they do not need is a statelet imploding on their doorstep for which they are partly responsible. It is hugely in their interests that a UI is stable.
    Can I have a Billion ?

Are you saying Adams wan't there and front and centre of the negotiations?

Oh dear me. The delusions run deep.

• Advertisement

10-15 years

Obviously but also obvious to all what your post was attempting to do

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement