Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    eagle eye wrote: »
    I put the Republic of Ireland first so I'm a Republican and I'll own that. I'm not a patitionist s you call it either, I'm against it in the short to medium term for financial and security reasons, not forever.

I've finally got to a laptop so have the opportunity to put up links. So here you go....
    This is a study from Trinity College which puts the cost at £30 billion
    I'm not believing any figures from a politician that's been proven to be bull.

You're a republican because you say so?

That word you're trying to own already has a well understood definition. Are you going to try and "claim it back"?

There is a perfectly defined word for you, Partitionist. You are a Partitionist. I don't see why this is now an issue.

20-30 years
    downcow wrote: »
    Redgirl. The problem with you is that you are producing clear factual evidence. My experience is that there is a small number of Unionist haters on here who detest clear factual evidence.
    You are showing great patience with them

Where's the clear factual evidence?

20-30 years
    The only real Republican is one who agrees with Bonnie's belief of what landmass it should constitute. I think he is telling you that the Republic of Ireland is not a republic

So today's strawman is redefining the word republican?

You're not a unionist, because you don't want to see Ireland unified and because I say so.

See, we can all play this game.

20-30 years
    BloodyBill wrote: »
    There is so much at stake that the best option is to do nothing at all. Arent Ireland and Northern Ireland getting on just grand as we are? Little violence and people getting on with their lives. The Catholic population seems to have regained their confidence. However they really need to row in behind Stormont and not undermine the Institutions. These spats over the Irish language were unedifying. And Dont bring up unufication at all would be my advice.
    I dread the day that there will ever be a need to have a referendum on unification. Theres nothing to gain except strife. As Sean would say 'up here in the UK' things are going allright in 2020

So you've nothing to worry about from a referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,568 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    There is a perfectly defined word for you, Partitionist. You are a Partitionist. I don't see why this is now an issue.
    A partitions no at is somebody who doesn't want a UI, that doesn't include me as I've said. I'm against it short and medium term for security and financial reason not forever.
    That word you're trying to own already has a well understood definition. Are you going to try and "claim it back"?
    People who have wanted a UI for many years have always been known as nationalists to me.

I'm a Republican bevause that's the best description of somebody who puts the Republic of Ireland first.

And I notice you have no comments as regards the links I put up to the Trinity study or the debunking of SF's costing of a UI.

• Advertisement

20-30 years
    A partitions no at is somebody who doesn't want a UI, that doesn't include me as I've said. I'm against it short and medium term for security and financial reason not forever.

People who have wanted a UI for many years have always been known as nationalists to me.

I'm a Republican bevause that's the best description of somebody who puts the Republic of Ireland first.

And I notice you have no comments as regards the links I put up to the Trinity study or the debunking of SF's costing of a UI.

Oh you saw through my ignorance. Dammit, got me again.

I haven't read it yet, I will in time.

There's so much to unpack.

I'm just very curious about your dancing on a pin because of this Republican v Partitionist nonsense. You're now adding Nationalist into the mix for good measure. Did you only figure this out as a line of argument this past weekend? Because I've called you a Partitionist before and you didnt bring this new nomenclature up.

Because I've called you a Partitionist before and you didnt bring this new nomenclature up.
    I really couldn't care less what you call me l. I know what I am and that's all that matters to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Redgirl. The problem with you is that you are producing clear factual evidence. My experience is that there is a small number of Unionist haters on here who detest clear factual evidence.
    You are showing great patience with them

Would I like a unified Ireland? yes but once it caters for everyone in Ireland. North, South, East, West. Of course critical are unionist. I think that was clear in the Good Friday that everyone had to agree.

I do not want to have a Unified Ireland where are vilifying a whole community who as as much part of Ireland as everyone else.

Or a Unified Ireland which ends up with huge sections of North in a worse position than they are in today.

Why do you think it is up to you to call people XYZ?

20-30 years
    I really couldn't care less what you call me l. I know what I am and that's all that matters to me.

You're not coming in here and redefining words. It's bizarre.

• Advertisement

20-30 years
    Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Why do you think it is up to you to call people XYZ?

I now define all of the words?

Oh my God. Will you please stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years

An interesting read. The major problem they have with NI is the lack of investment in particular in infrastructure and education (which results in a skills shortage) and one of the main reasons why NI is not attracting FDI. They say these require major investment and that the British Government are the ones who should cough up for them!

As for the other link - the conclusion:
    Conclusion
    While there may be some truth to Sinn Fein’s claim – considering all the variables – that reunification might not be as costly for the citizens of the Republic of Ireland as normally believed, in the short term several economic studies point towards a higher initial cost than £2.7 billion. We therefore conclude that the claim is false.

In other words, everyone is guessing.

You're not coming in here and redefining words. It's bizarre.
    You won't decide what I am or am not. I'll decide what I want to be.

20-30 years
    Would I like a unified Ireland? yes but once it caters for everyone in Ireland. North, South, East, West. Of course critical are unionist. I think that was clear in the Good Friday that everyone had to agree.

I do not want to have a Unified Ireland where are vilifying a whole community who as as much part of Ireland as everyone else.

Or a Unified Ireland which ends up with huge sections of North in a worse position than they are in today.

Why would parts of the north be worse off in a UI?

20-30 years

Good for you. But you don't get to redefine words. You don't get to do that.

jm08 wrote:
    In other words, everyone is guessing.
    No, they didn't say that. All they say is that SF's figure is wrong and it will he more expensive than that.

20-30 years

As an Irish republican, do you identify with the 1916 Proclaimation?

Good for you. But you don't get to redefine words. You don't get to do that.
    Partitionism is a word that was used for those who wanted a border back at the start of the last century.
    Anybody who wants things to remain as they are are not partitionists. They are not looking to partition anything.
    So I'm not redefining words, I'm just correcting it's use here.

20-30 years
    No, they didn't say that. All they say is that SF's figure is wrong and it will he more expensive than that.

How much more expensive?

I put up a link to a very good study and it estimates it at £30 billion.

• Advertisement

20-30 years
    Partitionism is a word that was used for those who wanted a border back at the start of the last century.
    Anybody who wants things to remain as they are are not partitionists. They are not looking to partition anything.
    So I'm not redefining words, I'm just correcting it's use here.

You're correcting the use of Partitionist by redefining Republican?

Dig up.

You're correcting the use of Partitionist by redefining Republican?
    My last post doesn't mention anything about Republicanism.

20-30 years
    I put up a link to a very good study and it estimates it at £30 billion.

I can't find where it says £30 billion (in the Trinity Study). All I can come up with is:

On the basis of the 2016 figures, in a united Ireland, if Northern Ireland did not take on a share of the UK’s existing net liabilities, the total Northern Ireland deficit would have amounted to around £6.9 billion or around €8.4 billion.If, instead they did take on a share of the UK’s net liabilities the deficit would be £8 billion (€9.8 billion)

20-30 years
    My last post doesn't mention anything about Republicanism.

You've been calling yourself a republican for the last few hours. You can't be for real!

jm08 wrote:
    I can't find where it says £30 billion (in the Trinity Study). All I can come up with is:
    Page 35 or 36 I think. Somewhere around there for sure.

You've been calling yourself a republican for the last few hours. You can't be for real!
    Well I just explained to you what a partitionist actually is and you haven't refuted that.

Why would parts of the north be worse off in a UI?

Read the thread. This was already discussed in detail

20-30 years
    Well I just explained to you what a partitionist actually is and you haven't refuted that.

Literally, what?

You've spent hours trying yourself in knots trying to call yourself a Republican and getting shirty when you're called a Partitionist.

You're now saying that a Partitionist is solely someone who wanted Partition in the earlier part of the 20th century and not someone who wants a continuation of the British border in Ireland ie. the continued existence of the status quo of partition. I have to refute that, but yet we need to accept your (re)definition of a Republican?

Honestly man, do you ever read this stuff before you post it?

20-30 years
    Read the thread. This was already discussed in detail

Was it now? Grand. If you can't easily find it it must not be worth discussing further and we'll have to take your word on it? Isn't that how this game works?

• Advertisement

You're now saying that a Partitionist is solely someone who wanted Partition in the earlier part of the 20th century and not someone who wants a continuation of the British border in Ireland ie. the continued existence of the status quo of partition. I have to refute that, but yet we need to accept your (re)definition of a Republican?
    Yes, a partitionist is a person who wants to create a partition not somebody who doesn't want to create a partition.
    If you want to use the word you could call yourself an unpartitionist maybe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement