Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Yes, a partitionist is a person who wants to create a partition not somebody who doesn't want to create a partition.
    If you want to use the word you could call yourself an unpartitionist maybe.

Please just stop. This is becoming embarrassing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,568 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    Please just stop. This is becoming embarrassing now.
    Yes it's embarrassing for you that's wrong in your use of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years
    Page 35 or 36 I think. Somewhere around there for sure.

Thanks. Found it.

Based on the experience in dealing with the financial crisis in Ireland, to fund this transfer would require a fiscal adjustment in Ireland amounting to cuts or tax increases of €20 billion to €30 billion22.

Isn't that saying how much it would cost to continue funding a subvention on our own with no contribution or investment from UK?

20-30 years
    Yes it's embarrassing for you that's wrong in your use of the word.

Honestly, please stop.

jm08 wrote:
    Isn't that saying how much it would cost to continue funding a subvention on our own with no contribution or investment from UK?
    It's talking in annual terms there not just initially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,558 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

angels-on-a-pin.jpg

20-30 years
    Yes, a partitionist is a person who wants to create a partition not somebody who doesn't want to create a partition.
    If you want to use the word you could call yourself an unpartitionist maybe.

I think this is a fairly accurate description from Wiki.

The Derry Journal has described partitionism as "a criticism of those in the south who pay lip-service to the ideal of Irish unity but who are smugly comfortable with the 26 county Republic".[1]

Likewise, in his book Luck and the Irish, R. F. Foster used the term partitionism to refer to what Bernard O'Donoghue described as "the tacit acceptance in the South of a border that worked to its economic advantage".[2][3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partitionism

Honestly, please stop.

Just admit your use of the word partitionist is incorrect. Be honest with yourself and everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Was it now? Grand. If you can't easily find it it must not be worth discussing further and we'll have to take your word on it? Isn't that how this game works?

Read the thread.....thats how it works.

20-30 years
    It's talking in annual terms there not just initially.

Its only one of many scenarios that it has come up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    It would be quite hilarious to witness the collection of oddballs, partitionists, crypto-unionists and actual unionists that would stand together to oppose the ending of partition.

20-30 years
    Just admit your use of the word partitionist incorrect. Be honest with yourself and everybody.

Okay? And you're a republican? Yeah?

Honestly, my use of words on here is always deliberate. It is not incorrect to call you, former denizen Blanch152 or even RedGirl a Partitionist.

You want partition to continue. You're a Partitionist. Seriously, what's your problem with accepting that?

Typically, in Eagle Eye style is to double down on nonsense and create a new battle.

So today we went from you calling yourself a republican, for some unknown reason, then me telling you that you can't just decide the meaning of words "just cos", and then because that was gaining no traction, you decided that Partitionist doesn't mean what we all have heretofore accepted it to mean for a century and now it means something more narrow and solely refering to the initial act of partition in the 1920s.

So this is where we are.

Honestly, it's maddening having to engage at this level.

15-20 years
    It would be quite hilarious to witness the collection of oddballs, partitionists, crypto-unionists and actual unionists that would stand together to oppose the ending of partition.

Support for it polls usually well over 70%,sometimes into the 80s aswell in the free state??

Its baffling to think,partionists think they can speak for us all,when they are a dying breed as support for utd ireland ramps up among younger generations

20-30 years
    Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Read the thread.....thats how it works.

Thank you for explaining how a thread works. Most people engage when they have substantive points to make.

I don't recall any part of a post explaining how parts of the North would be worse off, so I asked where that was. That's how these things work.

If you had the courage of your convictions you'd have posted it by now instead of going back and forth with me about how I should go look for it.

Thank you for explaining how a thread works. Most people engage when they have substantive points to make.

I don't recall any part of a post explaining how parts of the North would be worse off, so I asked where that was. That's how these things work.

If you had the courage of your convictions you'd have posted it by now instead of going back and forth with me about how I should go look for it.

Read the thread....

Honestly, it's maddening having to engage at this level

If you favour partition above reunification....surely this is partitionist??
    I don't want to split anything up so I'm not a partitionist and I'm in favour of a United Ireland at some stage in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,558 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Read the thread....

Honestly, it's maddening having to engage at this level

Get used to it.........it’s only starting.

Buckle up.

Get used to it.........it’s only starting.

Buckle up.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

If you favour partition above reunification....surely this is partitionist??

(If this description upsets you,its some introspection required,not lashing out at other posters)

It is funny though when those from the Republic are labelled as partitionist when they currently have zero influence on partition yet MON and the rest of the UK branch of SF are taking part in a 6 county pseudo government, on the board of a 6 county police force and even attending COBRA meetings on COVID!

They want to be pulling plug on this rubbish

The criteria set out for a border poll has been met imo,time to sh1t or get off the pot for the brits

No hasn't. It has to be likely to succeed.

• Advertisement

So in other words these polls are useless?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I put up a link to a very good study and it estimates it at £30 billion.

We can all guess why that is.

15-20 years
    So in other words these polls are useless?

No

But the descrepancy between online and in-person needs to be accounted for

(its believed anon is more accurate ala red.c polls,as these closest represent polling on day,this is fairly basic stuff,id have taught)

No

(its believed anon is more accurate ala red.c polls,as these closest represent polling on day,this is fairly basic stuff,id have taught)

So basically the poll that gives you the answer You want is right but the poll that doesn’t is wrong?

No

Nothing is 'basic' when you have the usual posters piling into the thread claiming that somebody who hasn't produced a single verifiable fact - has produced all he facts.

It is also bizarre to see a report presented by eagle eye that begins with a figure that is based on what the subvention is now, and claims that report confirms their opinion.

So basically the poll that gives you the answer You want is right but the poll that doesn’t is wrong?

If 'Slugger O'Toole' run by the notoriously pro Unionist Mick Fealty can be honest about it, why can you not?

If 'Slugger O'Toole' run by the notoriously pro Unionist Mick Fealty can be honest about it, why can you not?

What difference does it make who runs the site? Your obsessed with religion. I thought we got over that with Good Friday.

What % would mean likely to exceed to ye? I reckon 60%. 5% for margin of error and 5% as a buffer.

• Advertisement

What difference does it make who runs the site? Your obsessed with religion. I thought we got over that with Good Friday.

Where did I mention his religion? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement