Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Do we need every thread to descend into this stupidity to deflect :confused:

You said I made a 'mistake' about the GFA.

Are you going to prove me right again and refuse to point out what it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Look.kid,the game is up,your not even irish

So much nonsense,strawmanning and dogma in one post...its impressive and if i could attach a gif,id attach a hat-tip one for this

But despite propaganda to contary the famine devestated ulster,in pretty much same porportion as rest of state??

Kid ?(How American ) Lol. You have proven to not know your arse from your elbow . And you are pushing far far beyond your social status ,intellect and wealth calling me such a thing sunshine. Sit down now like a good boy and let the adults talk

According to you, It’s nonsense and straw-man (check up a dictionary for its meaning ) to point out that Unionist OUT VOTE Republicans and Nationalists and are still the majority ��. It’s also, apparently nonsense to point out that the IRA in Ulster was is disarray and toothless during 1919-1921 .okay so ��

Now you question my nationality, with zero basis , what next? Claim that one isn’t Irish if they are not Catholic ?

Dogma ? No, you belong to the breed them out school of thought on how UI will happen. It’s blatant . I just look at election results

There no propaganda , the famine in most parts of a Ulster was a pic ic in comparison to places like Mayo, Galway and Kerry . The north east was fine in comparison . Donegal and Fermanagh did bad but not compared to the aforementioned counties

15-20 years
    Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Do we need every thread to descend into this stupidity to deflect :confused:

You do seem to specilize in this tbf though

(Though in reality,you dislike the content and trying to emflame and get thread shutdown)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Absolutely Tom.
    Belligerent Unionism in the political form - The DUP realised fully and profoundly what the GFA was. That is why they hated it and still hate it.
    It is why they have been separated abstractly from the Union.

They thought they could collapse the GFA with Brexit and made an utter tit of it all really.

Nobody is breaking the GFA not the belligerent Unionists and not the British.

But it's happening at snails pace, 20+ years already. How likely is it that those who actually voted for the GFA will see it. Adams won't see it, I doubt MLD will either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

You do seem to specilize in this tbf though

(Though in reality,you dislike the content and trying to emflame and get thread shutdown)

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years

You reek of a Yank, Plastic Paddy ,waffling about the Famine , which by the way, didn’t hurt much of Ulster ,Donegal aside . The south did their fighting in 1920 , Ulster did **** all

Well, thats nonsense anyway.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-34369080

Particularly hard-hit was the Lurgan-Portadown linen triangle of north Armagh.
    Lurgan Workhouse in 1847 recorded the third highest mortality of any workhouse in Ireland.
    An inquiry blamed the crisis on overcrowding and the fact that the corpses of fever victims were interred beside the workhouse well. The result was a cycle of death.
    In normally prosperous Newtownards, there were queues at the soup kitchen of "emaciated and half-famished souls", covered with rags.
    In 1847 the worst affected areas in Down included the Mournes and the fishing port of Kilkeel.
    The reactions of the landlords varied. Lord Londonderry, the largest landowner in north Down, rejected rent reductions due to "personal inconvenience" and was much criticised.

Indeed havnt FF been promising to run canditadtes.with 20 odd years there now

Its a failed state in every metric,catchphrases and calling people to step-up isnt going to make it better??

Its never going to work,just stop trying to imagine it better,and get on with reunification.... expecting stormont to work,is childlike in its innocence

Its been near on quarter of a centruy powersharing.and its only getting worser and both sides more entrenched,pull the plug and reunify

Or, have the Republicans up North to convince moderate Unionists (whose votes will be VITAL for a UI vote ) to work with them and dominate Stormont. They (NI parties ) have to prove that they are fit to govern first .

None of us down here fancy spending billions on security to referee pitch battles on the streets of Belfast , thanks. Nor are we interested in swallow excessive compromises to please the Unionists. We sure as **** won’t want or allow Dublin dish out the money Theresa May promised Norn Iron during Their deal to help the Conservatives form government in London

15-20 years
    Kid ?(How American ) Lol. You have proven to not know your arse from your elbow . And you are pushing far far beyond your social status ,intellect and wealth calling me such a thing sunshine. Sit down now like a good boy and let the adults talk

According to you, It’s nonsense and straw-man (check up a dictionary for its meaning ) to point out that Unionist OUT VOTE Republicans and Nationalists and are still the majority ��. It’s also, apparently nonsense to point out that the IRA in Ulster was is disarray and toothless during 1919-1921 .okay so ��

Now you question my nationality, with zero basis , what next? Claim that one isn’t Irish if they are not Catholic ?

Dogma ? No, you belong to the breed them out school of thought on how UI will happen. It’s blatant . I just look at election results

There no propaganda , the famine in most parts of a Ulster was a pic ic in comparison to places like Mayo, Galway and Kerry . The north east was fine in comparison . Donegal and Fermanagh did bad but not compared to the aforementioned counties

Ulster lost 20 odd percent population in gorta mór

Kid,you cant identify,where im about,from.my username :D (its a shoutout to religious refugees)....screams brit pretending to be irish and failing badly tbh

As ive said,so rattled has long since stopped pretending to be confident enough to stand over your view at ballot box...how is that??

Put your money,where your mouth is,if your so confident it wont pass,support calls for a border poll?

jm08 wrote: »

Try proper history records !

jh79 wrote: »
    But it's happening at snails pace, 20+ years already. How likely is it that those who actually voted for the GFA will see it. Adams won't see it, I doubt MLD will either.

As Tom said, it is happening ever closer convergence until it is no big deal to make the transition.

Why do you think belligerent Unionism hated it and moderate Unionism got on with it?

• Advertisement

15-20 years
    Or, have the Republicans up North to convince moderate Unionists (whose votes will be VITAL for a UI vote ) to work with them and dominate Stormont. They (NI parties ) have to prove that they are fit to govern first .

None of us down here fancy spending billions on security to referee pitch battles on the streets of Belfast , thanks. Nor are we interested in swallow excessive compromises to please the Unionists. We sure as **** won’t want or allow Dublin dish out the money Theresa May promised Norn Iron during Their deal to help the Conservatives form government in London

Blame republican,blame unionists,blame martians for all i care

Northern ireland has completly failed as a state,powersharing deosnt work and i see no prospect in medium to long term to think it will work out

Stop.wasting peoples time,thinking it will,get on with reunification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Northern ireland has completly failed as a state and i see no prospect in medium to long term to think it will work out

No thanks :P:P

As Tom said, it is happening ever closer convergence until it is no big deal to make the transition.

Why do you think belligerent Unionism hated it and moderate Unionism got on with it?

But not all types of convergence are equal. Cultural won't fix an economy etc. Aspirations are meaningless without the means to realise them.

Maybe moderate Unionists see the GFA as a peaceful status quo . Whatever the reasons and our opinions of them each individuals vote is worth the same.

Ulster lost 20 odd percent population in gorta mór

Kid,you cant identify,where im about,from.my username :D (its a shoutout to religious refugees)....screams brit pretending to be irish and failing badly tbh

As ive said,so rattled has long since stopped pretending to be confident enough to stand over your view at ballot box...how is that??

Put your money,where your mouth is,if your so confident it wont pass,support calls for a border poll?

Try proper records ! 20 % lol, again, a picnic in comparison

Galway lost 28% of its population between 1841-1851 , being originally the second largest population in the country at the time

Mayo lost a whopping 40% of its population during this period ,it being the fourth most populous county on the island at the time

Roscommon lost 31% of its population ,it being the 10th most populous county at the time

Clare lost 25% and it was the 9th most populous ,Leitrim lost 27% ,Sligo lost 28% .cork lost 24% ,was the most populous county with 850,000 to down to 649,000

All the above had over 250,000 in each county

Donegal only lost 13% in the same period 7th most populous county , Cavan got a battering with about 25% but it Only the 11th most populous

Connacht lost just over 30% of its population in those ten years . Ulster was a picnic in comparison

15-20 years
    Try proper records ! 20 % lol, again, a picnic in comparison

Galway lost 28% of its population between 1841-1851 , being originally the second largest population in the country at the time

Mayo lost a whopping 40% of its population during this period ,it being the fourth most populous county on the island at the time

Roscommon lost 31% of its population ,it being the 10th most populous county at the time

Clare lost 25% and it was the 9th most populous ,Leitrim lost 27% ,Sligo lost 28% .cork lost 24% ,was the most populous county with 850,000 to down to 649,000

All the above had over 250,000 in each county

Donegal only lost 13% in the same period 7th most populous county , Cavan got a battering with about 25% but it Only the 11th most populous

Connacht lost just over 30% of its population in those ten years . Ulster was a picnic in comparison

Ya....losing 20% population is a great success alright

:pac: imagine having an ego,so weak that you have to paint losing 1 in 5 of population as a success

Northern ireland has completly failed as a state,powersharing deosnt work and i see no prospect in medium to long term to think it will work out

Listen, you are so out of your depth. You clearly don’t live on either part of the island ,so stop waffling .

Blame Republicans ,which Unionists will, and you think they, who hold the majority , will magically vote For a UI 😂😂

You ought to stop wasting peoples time, you have no argument and the vast majority of the public have much bigger problems to priorities right now and for the next 3-4 years !

You can’t even vomit out a sane proposal or solution on how UI can be met

Tell the truth , your theory is and always was for Catholics to breed out the Proddies .

You want people like me to inherit a basket case that is Northern Ireland and it’s people ? Nah, I ain’t suicidal

But not all types of convergence are equal. Cultural won't fix an economy etc. Aspirations are meaningless without the means to realise them.

Maybe moderate Unionists see the GFA as a peaceful status quo . Whatever the reasons and our opinions of them each individuals vote is worth the same.

But Brexit is about to usher in the most dramatic convergence we have seen since partition.

I don't think you are looking at the reasons belligerent Unionism hate the GFA with an unjaundiced eye to be honest JH79.

It remains to be seen how much belligerent Unionism has damaged itself as a result of their bewildering approach...in Unionism itself.

Ya....losing 20% population is a great success alright

:pac: imagine having an ego,so weak that you have to paint losing 1 in 5 of population as a success

Read what I said, all I said was it (Ulster) was a picnic absolutely nothing in comparison to what happened elsewhere in the country. You just proved my original point !

One in 5. ? Like all Shinners, hopeless on the maths ,bless

15-20 years
    Listen, you are so out of your depth. You clearly don’t live on either part of the island ,so stop waffling .

Blame Republicans ,which Unionists will, and you think they, who hold the majority , will magically vote For a UI 😂😂

You ought to stop wasting peoples time, you have no argument and the vast majority of the public have much bigger problems to priorities right now and for the next 3-4 years !

You can’t even vomit out a sane proposal or solution on how UI can be met

Tell the truth , your theory is and always was for Catholics to breed out the Proddies .

You want people like me to inherit a basket case that is Northern Ireland and it’s people ? Nah, I ain’t suicidal

Where anywhere have i mentioned religion or catholics outbreeding prods??(indeed my name is a reference to religious refugees from persectution,so im aware of it)

As i said,either withdraw your remarks,or stand over them and support a border poll......imo your rattled outta it and know it will pass

15-20 years
    Read what I said, all I said was it (Ulster) was a picnic absolutely nothing in comparison to what happened elsewhere in the country. You just proved my original point !

One in 5. ? Like all Shinners, hopeless on the maths ,bless

20% is 1 in 5

This is.the genrally accepted figure for ulster??

Like you can paint it as a success,if you want,screams genocide to me though

• Advertisement

Where anywhere have i mentioned religion or catholics outbreeding prods??(indeed my name is a reference to religious refugees from persectution,so im aware of it)

As i said,either withdraw your remarks,or stand over them and support a border poll......imo your rattled outta it and know it will pass

Tell the truth ,that is precisely what you were thinking . It’s bleeding obvious. Your analysis is so simplistic it is. No longer funny . Pure Yankie drivel

20% is 1 in 5

This is.the genrally accepted figure for ulster??

Like you can paint it as a success,if you want,screams genocide to me though

Read what I said . In comparison to other provinces, Ulster got off lightly ,that is all that was said

Genocide ? Ya, Ordinary British people sending over aid 😂🤫 And taking in Irish emigrants into their cities . typical American guff

Read what I said . In comparison to other provinces, Ulster got off lightly ,that is all that was said

Just what we need, another poster who lies at the drop of a hat.
    You made no 'comparison' you stated:
    waffling about the Famine , which by the way, didn’t hurt much of Ulster

And then ranted about 'proper history' when you were called out on it.

Tone down the bile Randy. We know it's an act.

15-20 years
    Tell the truth ,that is precisely what you were thinking . It’s bleeding obvious. Your analysis is so simplistic it is. No longer funny . Pure Yankie drivel

Hmm....its not??

Like,quite why you have to imagine and make up,what i havent said to make a point,speaks volumes tbh

Like,you can rest assured im.irish though (the username,clearly indicates so!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    You got no love in your heart Randy New Guy. You need to be positive about our future together on the island.

original.gif

15-20 years

Genocide ? Ya, Ordinary British people sending over aid 😂🀫 And taking in Irish emigrants into their cities . typical American guff

Nah.....sending their army to export food from a ravaged country speaks enough to me,cant be a famine and export food

Like,my grandfather worked on a farm in the 30s and 40s,where they still recovering.famine victims,my grandmother told.stories she was told growing up of people arriving at door,mouths green from eating grass and bodies of entire families being found on side of road (they lived near a poor house)

You can still see outlines on the farm here,of cottages and gardens abandoned in the famine....those images you see of poor,dying.and bloated kids from ethopia,happened in every village,to every family here...

.the english would do.same again,given.the chance,dont ever let anyone tell you different

But Brexit is about to usher in the most dramatic convergence we have seen since partition.

I don't think you are looking at the reasons belligerent Unionism hate the GFA with an unjaundiced eye to be honest JH79.

It remains to be seen how much belligerent Unionism has damaged itself as a result of their bewildering approach...in Unionism itself.

It's a convergence that probably will solve major problems for trade between the EU and the UK and mean a UI will become a regional issue rather than an EU one.

I think you are creating a pointless bogeyman with belligerent unionism. It will die out much like extreme catholism did in the Republic.

The prospects of an UI is completely dependant on money. A country increasing in size from 6 to 8 million is a big ask in any circumstance never mind in these unprecedented times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

You got no love in your heart Randy New Guy. You need to be positive about our future together on the island.

original.gif

Will someone please please think of the children?

It's a convergence that probably will solve major problems for trade between the EU and the UK and mean a UI will become a regional issue rather than an EU one.

I think you are creating a pointless bogeyman with belligerent unionist. It will die out much like extreme catholism did in the Republic.

The prospects of an UI is completely dependant on money. A country increasing in size from 6 to 8 million is a big ask in any circumstance never mind in this unprecedented times.

There has been a distinct difference between the behaviour of moderate Unionism and belligerent Unionism for a long time now. So I will keep using the term until it does disappear in respect to decent Unionists.

The Berlin Wall came down because at a time of unrest a bureaucrat made a mistake and caused an irresistible surge.
    Scottish independence, the failure of the UK/EU relationship, anything really could be the same type of catalyst here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,557 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    The financial cost of a UI will stop it. There is zero chance anybody in the Republic that went through the banking crisis and subsequent austerity is going to vote to go through ten or fifteen more years of it.
    Not a chance in hell of that happening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement