Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

im in favour of a unite ireland at any time , not just because i believe its only a matter of time before the mainland uk want rid , it will in my opinion make the island of ireland economically stronger , markets always cheer on the breaking down of borders , i vote FG due to lack of options , i dont vote SF or any other marxist parties

people down here need to realise that we wont get to choose a UI off the shelf like in a shop at the time of our choosing , its all about when middle england grows sick of footing the bill and indulging unionists

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

As stated by others, the handover won't happen overnight and there will be slow and phased integration as happened elsewhere. The British have plenty of experience doing this stuff.

Elsewhere?

The only other part of these islands that's seperated itself (from the rest of these islands) is here in the Republic ....

Unless you're thinking of Chris Patten waving goodbye to far-off colonies thousands of miles away like Hong Kong or India :confused:

Thing about Ireland (North & South) is that we are forever part of this family of islands, so if the keys (to NI) do ever change hands from London to Dublin, it wont be like NI has gone native, as we'll still all be here together :D

.....just with Dublin in charge (of NI) instead of London.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Just what we need, another poster who lies at the drop of a hat.
    You made no 'comparison' you stated:

And then ranted about 'proper history' when you were called out on it.

Tone down the bile Randy. We know it's an act.

As usual, you refuse to quote the person in full, and you distort what was said

Typical Shinner .

Nah.....sending their army to export food from a ravaged country speaks enough to me,cant be a famine and export food

Like,my grandfather worked on a farm in the 30s and 40s,where they still recovering.famine victims,my grandmother told.stories she was told growing up of people arriving at door,mouths green from eating grass and bodies of entire families being found on side of road (they lived near a poor house)

You can still see outlines on the farm here,of cottages and gardens abandoned in the famine....those images you see of poor,dying.and bloated kids from ethopia,happened in every village,to every family here...

.the english would do.same again,given.the chance,dont ever let anyone tell you different

You haven’t a clue, utter simplistic nonsense . Typical American guff

The RIC did the majority of the dirty work during the famine, not British Army Regiments

The economic problems of the 1930-1940s would be Correctly blamed On 5-6 years of war time atmosphere between 1916-1922 ,You waffler !!!

The civil war did far more economic damage to the 1930s-1940 And the country was still divided due to Civil War hostilities. During the Tan War ,parts of the country had severe food shortages and there were famine like conditions in some regions due to the war disrupting civilian life. Town creameries were burned down during this time

Add the Wall Street Crash of the late 1920s ,that utterly buggered up the economies of even the more robust nations

Urban and garrison towns did very well, population and economically during the first years WW1 , as many towns got contracts to make UNiforms of the “allies” . Belfast has its shipping ,and farms around the country were in high demand to provide food to Blighty

All over 60 years later

• Registered Users Posts: 38,557 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    Typical Shinner .
    Yes, he is always at that.

• Advertisement

What has it got to do with 'what they see themselves as?'

If they have a passport they are a citizen.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

Passport of convenience ! To make sure they keep their EU citizens status .

It matters a lot , they have zero interest in UI ruled by Dublin or any sort of UI independent of the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Typical Shinner .

The full sentence in all it's glory.
    You reek of a Yank, Plastic Paddy ,waffling about the Famine , which by the way, didn’t hurt much of Ulster ,Donegal aside . The south did their fighting in 1920 , Ulster did **** all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Typical Shinner .

This is standard deflection. Everyone is lying apart from the Sinn Fein poster.

In reality in most cases if not all it is the opposite but sure don't let the truth get in the way

It matters a lot , they have zero interest in UI ruled by Dublin or any sort of UI independent of the U.K.

You can hand wave away Randy, all you like.

Irish Passport = Irish citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

It's a bit like championing polls...as was done here on boards...that ask, 'would you vote for a UI if the vote was held tomorrow'.

I had a look at the Hubner report and from a lay persons perspective , it and the Trinity report are looking at completely different aspects of unification.

The Hubner report is only looking at the possible benefits to the economy without considering the funding required to realize that potential.

The Trinity report doesn't conclude that there would be no benefit to an UI just that the cost of paying for both harmonization and the inward investment separately required to realise that potential is too prohibitive. If we don't fund inward investment then we will always be paying for the harmonisation cost.

Here is the link, as i said i'm not an economist so it's just my take.

https://prcg.com/modeling-irish-unification/report.pdf

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yes, he is always at that.

Ok eagle. Redgirl runs a mile when asked to back up a claim she makes.

Let's see how you perform.

Can you show me where I always 'misquote' people.

I quoted the relevant section of what Randy said. He made no 'comparison' in it, however much he tries to claim he did.

Again eagle...issues you should have been having at the GFA stage.

The majority on the island agreed this was the way forward. You are denying democracy to just as many not to follow through on an internationally binding agreement.

It’s the majority of both sides of the island that is required, not the majority of the island as a whole . A majority in the south majority 75-85% ( Very plausible ) won’t mean much if the result in Northern Ireland is at statelmate eg 49-51% or Unionists win by similar or larger margin. Simple majority won’t work

You did make a fair point about people’s emotions and land slide victory , on this side of the country ,the last election highlighted that the electorate are full of morons; two years prior they told 75 SF Councillors to **** off, and they then voted on a blatantly obvious nonsense that they called their general election manifesto

Obviously, depending on what way the wind blew, FF would also throw their hat into the ring in campaigning for a UI. BUT, ALL parties did that during 2 major European Referendums but the people said no

In all the 600 odd pages of this “discussion” no serious discussion has been done about the type of UI people would want . If the politicians ,including SF haven’t seriously Done it with credibility ,that’s not a shock

1. Dáil Seats, including NI, that will mean counties who are precious about the number of seats that are available to them , WILL BE LOST . We don’t need more than 180- 200 TDs Even on an all Island basis .its not viable

Federalism is OUT ! One nation, one flag, one Parliament, one city

2. Civil service, someone IS GOING TO LOSE THEIR JOBS , and it’s likely going to be Southerners ,in order to encourage Nordies who aren’t too hot about UI. YOU think Southerners are going to accept that .

3. Health system ... obvious issues, speaks for itself

4. Lack of real co-operation . Belfast still have peace walls in their city, both communities still don’t trust one another ,segregation still exists ,they still fight over “flegs” and cultural symbols and DUP refuse to sit on the All Island council as provided by GFA and Edinburgh Agreement

You seriously think Galway, Kerry, Cork etc will tolerate Dublin handing over millions of euro ,ala Theresa May to the DUP for their support to form government , only for DUP to cause problems when the Conservatives were looking to throw Norn Iron under a bus during Brexit talks ?

No ****ing chance

5. Symbols ,flags, names of streets after “controversial figureheads “ ,names of GAA clubs that Unionists whinge about .... screams of caving into way too many of their demands ....... they couldn’t even try to look to act in good faith over several provisions of GFA EG IRISH LANGUAGE ACT (costs were and are prohibitive ,I accept, but they simply use any excuse )

When people seriously think with their wallets, especially the more educated people ie the people who will actually have to foot the bill as oppose to most SF fan boys ...... there will be some nasty home truths uttered

Comparison to Germany is complete nonsense and disingenuous. For a start, ze Germans had a recent history of being unified. Hell many who lived during the fall of the Berlin Wall were old enough to remember A United Germany . Don’t see any Nordies struggling to enter the South either, ala East German risking their life to enter West Germany

British Passport = British citizen.
    French Passport = French citizen.

Seriously Francie, do you still claim not to be a Sinn Fein or PIRA supporter :cool:

What are you? You're not SDLP and you're definitely not Alliance, FF? so what are you...

They also hold British passports too ,though ! You are happy to ignore that people use and abuse Irish passports but contribute nothing to the country or even step foot inside the country ....good for you 🙄.

Go ask these Unionists who hold Irish passports what their nationality and citizenship is ,if you are so confident .Ask them why they are taking it out , GFA doesn’t unilaterally impose citizenship on a person, it’s up to them. Sure, getting out a passport is an example of the act one takes to show that they are a citizen but it’s blatantly not conclusive in light of the reasons Unionists are taking them as Brexit becomes a reality

As it applies to Irish elsewhere; no taxation, no representation

British Passport = British citizen.
    French Passport = French citizen.

Exactly.
    Seriously Francie, do you still claim not to be a Sinn Fein or PIRA supporter :cool:

What are you? You're not SDLP and you're definitely not Alliance, FF? so what are you...

I supported SF in the most recent election.

I never supported the IRA.

And I am not 'anything' in particular, I am your quintessential floating voter.

You support Sinn Fein.

Well now that we know, let battle commence ;)

Took you long enough to admit it.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    im in favour of a unite ireland at any time , not just because i believe its only a matter of time before the mainland uk want rid , it will in my opinion make the island of ireland economically stronger , markets always cheer on the breaking down of borders , i vote FG due to lack of options , i dont vote SF or any other marxist parties

people down here need to realise that we wont get to choose a UI off the shelf like in a shop at the time of our choosing , its all about when middle england grows sick of footing the bill and indulging unionists

Middle England Or any part of England can not kick Northern Ireland out of the U.K. The U.K. privy courts and Supreme Court would strike down ANY legislation from London that discriminated Northern Ireland in legislation dealing with the U.K. as a whole ,so they won’t be able to push them out by not funding them. Bear in mind, that hung parliaments rely on Nordies to balance the power ,occasionally

Northern Ireland has being nothing but a drain on the U.K. since the 1950s , it has also embarsssed the U.K. before the Human Rights Courts in Europe .....millions have been spent on security over there , many lads returned from NI in a coffin .... and yet, NI is still part of the U.K.

“Markets cheer ...”

Sweet Jesus ... what rubbish. Not remotely comparable to Germany .

Markets know that the majority in NI wants to remain in the U.K. ! GFA confirmed that , US and co moved away and stop being interested in the North after 1998, their attitude “job done “

We all heard Enda tell Southerners to put on the green jersey when news came that lots of Southerners travelled to Larne, Strabane , Derry, Newry Etc for their weekly shopping or to get a few cans ... You can be sure that Retail Ireland egged Enda and co on !

The full sentence in all it's glory.

Even in the quote, which you didn’t cite in full, you show that comprehension skills are a weak point for you

“Much of Ulster” ain’t the same as “all of Ulster” . 10-15% population loses are a picnic compared to what happened elsewhere on the island

Ulster only lost 20% of their population ... nothing compared to Connacht and Munster

You support Sinn Fein.

Well now that we know, let battle commence ;)

Took you long enough to admit it.

I said it before the election and after. Keep up HC.

I am not a member of SF.
    You may be confused.

You should be a member...

• Advertisement

Even in the quote, which you didn’t cite in full, you show that comprehension skills are a weak point for you

“Much of Ulster” ain’t the same as “all of Ulster” . 10-15% population loses are a picnic compared to what happened elsewhere on the island

Ulster only lost 20% of their population ... nothing compared to Connacht and Munster

You claimed you were making a 'comparison' when challenged on what you said.

Here is the full post, with the irrelevant bit that I omitted (standard practice when quoting) included. Take a wee red pen there and highlight the bit where you made a comaprison. Don't ask us to read your mind or tell us you meant something different.
    Show us where you made the comparison to the rest of Ireland.
    We don’t give a **** about Northern Ireland, never have and never will

At no stage of history was the nation ever united under one Irish State or Irish Kingdom (On wine myths and waffle about High Kings of Ireland etc ). Muckers in Derry and Liam in Belfast Often have more in common with lads in Glasgow than they have with people in Dublin, Cork, Galway etc. Maybe an affinity with Donegal but even they are a law onto themselves

Waffling about abandoning them lol. Pity the Provos left it 50 + years late when it came to successful fighting while lads in Cork, Dublin, Tipp etc were fighting The Tans, Auxies and RIC

Those up North who see themselves as Irish, can come down here if they want to

You reek of a Yank, Plastic Paddy ,waffling about the Famine , which by the way, didn’t hurt much of Ulster ,Donegal aside . The south did their fighting in 1920 , Ulster did **** all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

10-15 years
    We don’t give a **** about Northern Ireland, never have and never will

At no stage of history was the nation ever united under one Irish State or Irish Kingdom (On wine myths and waffle about High Kings of Ireland etc ). Muckers in Derry and Liam in Belfast Often have more in common with lads in Glasgow than they have with people in Dublin, Cork, Galway etc. Maybe an affinity with Donegal but even they are a law onto themselves

Waffling about abandoning them lol. Pity the Provos left it 50 + years late when it came to successful fighting while lads in Cork, Dublin, Tipp etc were fighting The Tans, Auxies and RIC

Those up North who see themselves as Irish, can come down here if they want to

Is this like a competition to see who the biggest west Brit is?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,557 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    armaghlad wrote:
    West Brit? That's a nickname for those with English type accents in Dublin isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years
    The RIC did the majority of the dirty work during the famine, not British Army Regiments

Does it matter which arm of the British state did the dirty work.
    The economic problems of the 1930-1940s would be Correctly blamed On 5-6 years of war time atmosphere between 1916-1922 ,You waffler !!!

The economic problems of the 30s on the island of Ireland could be put down to the Economic War between Britain and Ireland where both countries introduced very high tariffs. Dean Swift's call to ''Burn everything from England except its coal'' was in operation here, whereas Britain put very high tariffs on agricultural output from Ireland.

The the late 30s-40s was bumper time for Ireland as an agricultural country feeding starving Britain.

The civil war did far more economic damage to the 1930s-1940 And the country was still divided due to Civil War hostilities. During the Tan War ,parts of the country had severe food shortages and there were famine like conditions in some regions due to the war disrupting civilian life. Town creameries were burned down during this time

The Shannon hydroelectric scheme was started and completed within 7 years of Independence and cost 1/7th of the country's budget. That was an amazing achievement.

We know that times were tough during the War of Independence. But I don't think either parties were burning down town creameries during the Civil War.
    Add the Wall Street Crash of the late 1920s ,that utterly buggered up the economies of even the more robust nations

The Shannon Scheme was opened in 1929 - one of the largest engineering projects in the world. In 1937 Poulaphouca hydro electic scheme was built.

Urban and garrison towns did very well, population and economically during the first years WW1 , as many towns got contracts to make UNiforms of the “allies” . Belfast has its shipping ,and farms around the country were in high demand to provide food to Blighty

All over 60 years later

And since partition, NI has not been able to maintain itself despite being originally the most prosperous part of the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years

We're well aware of unionist allegiance to the half-crown rather than the crown! Just demonstrates that they don't really have any principles.

15-20 years
    Middle England Or any part of England can not kick Northern Ireland out of the U.K. The U.K. privy courts and Supreme Court would strike down ANY legislation from London that discriminated Northern Ireland in legislation dealing with the U.K. as a whole ,so they won’t be able to push them out by not finding them. Bear in mind, that hung parliaments rely on Nordies to balance the power ,occasionally

Northern Ireland has being nothing but a drain on the U.K. since the 1950s , it has also embarsssed the U.K. before the Human Rights Courts in Europe .....millions have been spent on security over there , many lads returned from NI in a coffin .... and yet, NI is still part of the U.K.

“Markets cheer ...”

Sweet Jesus ... what rubbish. Not remotely comparable to Germany .

Markets know that the majority in NI wants to remain in the U.K. ! GFA confirmed that , US and co moved away and stop being interested in the North after 1998, their attitude “job done “

We all heard Enda tell Southerners to put on the green jersey when news came that lots of Southerners travelled to Larne, Strabane , Derry, Newry Etc for their weekly shopping or to get a few cans ... You can be sure that Retail Ireland egged Enda and co on !

Surely the definitive answer as regards,wheter a majority want to remain in uk,is to hold a border poll??

Your proclaiming yourself an expert,speaking for the entire country,but run scared from the ballot box,how is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @Randy Archer - you can get the same points across without being a dick to every other poster you don't agree with. Take24 hours off the thread to reconsider your posting style.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Behold!

A United Ireland for pets is declared

https://twitter.com/JamesCrisp6/status/1263397514947985408

Surely this will satisfy insatiable republican desires? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

armaghlad wrote: »

What's a west Brit?

• Advertisement

My understanding is that West Brit is a derogatory term for an Irish person who has empathy with or a connection to Britain or British people. I would often be referred to as a West Brit, not because I'm British, but because I sit on the fence and don't condemn them all the time!

I stand to be corrected on this though .......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement