Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

My understanding is that West Brit is a derogatory term for an Irish person who has empathy with or a connection to Britain or British people. I would often be referred to as a West Brit, not because I'm British, but because I sit on the fence and don't condemn them all the time!

I stand to be corrected on this .......

A bit like 'Plastic Paddy and Shinner' can be used derogatorily.
    I find mostly the same people that use the above two terms are the ones that get upset about 'West Brit'.
    Although I never use the term at all, as a descriptor of an Irish person with a certain fondness for and an excuser of Britain, it is quite clever I always thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

You claimed you were making a 'comparison' when challenged on what you said.

Here is the full post, with the irrelevant bit that I omitted (standard practice when quoting) included. Take a wee red pen there and highlight the bit where you made a comaprison. Don't ask us to read your mind or tell us you meant something different.
    Show us where you made the comparison to the rest of Ireland.

“Didn’t hit much of Ulster, Donegal aside “

And then the geniuses could only provide “proof” of 20 % reduction ...lol,

Standard practice ? Nope, not standard practice , you are not remotely qualified or honest enough to decide what is relevant or not and that’s not me just saying that ! Quote in full !!!

The statement was in response to The “free state” abandoning the North to a nation who apparent caused genocide during the famine. In response , those statements specifically referred to several “Free State Counties” with regard to the famine and the Tan war... of course, you ignore that and pretend that it wasn’t linked because in your world, it was not relevant enough to quote it in full to support your claim

With your dishonesty ,which has being noted by several posters, you interpret that as Ulster wasn’t affected .

You also refuse to deal with the posts immediately before and after that highlighted statement . challenged ? The clowns who responded couldn’t even get their facts or their sources in order .

Listen lad, you were caught waffling with your piss poor legal interpretation of GFA, you are going down a rabbit hole here . Of to mention utter insult to intelligence that you spew out about Unionists and their Irish passports . Stop digging

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

A bit like 'Plastic Paddy and Shinner' can be used derogatorily.
    I find mostly the same people that use the above two terms are the ones that get upset about 'West Brit'.
    Although I never use the term at all, as a descriptor of an Irish person with a certain fondness for and an excuser of Britain, it is quite clever I always thought.

Sure you do Francie, very strange interpretation it has to be said.

I suppose you don’t use ‘shoneen’ or ‘quisling’ either.

Strange, I have to say, very strange, as ‘trying to dance on the head of a pin‘, that sentence is quite clever too.

But doesn’t fool anybody:cool:

Uhmmm.......

• Registered Users Posts: 38,557 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    Listen lad, you were caught waffling with your piss poor legal interpretation of GFA, you are going down a rabbit hole here . Stop digging

A bit like the rabbit hole you went down trying to dismiss a thorough study on the cost of a UI.

You got no love in your heart Randy New Guy. You need to be positive about our future together on the island.

original.gif

Listen, spare us the guff, economic illiterates really ought not to be taking ,when this subject comes up

• Advertisement

“Didn’t hit much of Ulster, Donegal aside “

And then the geniuses could only provide “proof” of 20 % reduction ...lol,

Standard practice ? Nope, not standard practice , you are not remotely qualified or honest enough to decide what is relevant or not and that’s not me just saying that ! Quote in full !!!

The statement was in response to The “free state” abandoning the North to a nation who apparent caused genocide during the famine. In response , those statements specifically referred to several “Free State Counties” with regard to the famine and the Tan war... of course, you ignore that and pretend that it wasn’t linked because in your world, it was not relevant enough to quote it in full to support your claim

With your dishonesty ,which has being noted by several posters, you interpret that as Ulster wasn’t affected .

You also refuse to deal with the posts immediately before and after that highlighted statement . challenged ? The clowns who responded couldn’t even get their facts or their sources in order .

Listen lad, you were caught waffling with your piss poor legal interpretation of GFA, you are going down a rabbit hole here . Stop digging

My 'dishonesty' has only been noted by certain people. Those who have been asked to back up what they have said...and ran for the hills.

It is standard practice to quote only the relevant parts of a post.
    Which is what I did and in which you made no comparison to anywhere outside of Ulster.
    You got challenged on it by another poster (with a link to the facts...not disparaging verbosity) and off you went on another rant.

As I asked you, tone it down a bit. It's hard to read more than a sentence or two of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

"an excuser of Britain", very clever, cool:

A backhanded putdown more like.

You stick to being a Shinner and I'll stick to being a West Brit. How's that Francie.

Sure you do Francie, very strange interpretation it has to be said.

I suppose you don’t use ‘shoneen’ or ‘quisling’ either.

Strange, I have to say, very strange, as ‘trying to dance on the head of a pin‘, that sentence is quite clever too.

But doesn’t fool anybody:cool:

Uhmmm.......

Did you actually make a point there Brendan?

What am I 'not fooling anyone about'?

West Brit, Plastic Paddy, Shinner etc...all terms of abuse and mockery of certain types.

"an excuser of Britain", very clever, cool:

A backhanded putdown more like.

You stick to being a Shinner and I'll stick to being a West Brit. How's that Francie.

I was just explaining what I take the term to mean HC.

I don't use it, so I won't be calling anybody one.

eagle eye wrote: »
    A bit like the rabbit hole you went down trying to dismiss a thorough study on the cost of a UI.

A study based on NOTHING ! You clearly haven’t gone to college. A link from BBC is not a credible source .

A denial that people died during the famine , in Ulster, was not made. Pointing out that what went on in Ulster as a picnic in comparison to multiple specific Southern Counties ,a group of make up a Province, (which Francie wants to ignore ) is not dismissing “a thorough study”

Step down before you get kicked down. Comprehension issues are your problem

• Advertisement

My apologies, I though I was quoting Francie.

My 'dishonesty' has only been noted by certain people. Those who have been asked to back up what they have said...and ran for the hills.

It is standard practice to quote only the relevant parts of a post.
    Which is what I did and in which you made no comparison to anywhere outside of Ulster.
    You got challenged on it by another poster (with a link to the facts...not disparaging verbosity) and off you went on another rant.

As I asked you, tone it down a bit. It's hard to read more than a sentence or two of it.

You have absolutely no academic qualifications whatsoever to allow you to decide what is relevant or not when you decide to pick and mix people’s quotes

Your legal and business experience is non existent . You haven’t explained with a specific detailed explanation on how you think Norn Iron would prosper in a UI , when asked yesterday . Your interpretation of GFA clauses that you provided actually supported what the other poster said

Your attempt with selective quotations , you ignored the significant line “ didn’t hit Ulster much,aside from Donegal “ is actually supported By the “thorough study”;that your pals cited - 20% of the province ... but of course, you ignored the fact that it was specifically compared to other counties ,fully stats given and unchallenged by you and your chums !

Then, and only then do ye three shysters make the false claim that there was a denial of the costs on Ulster, when it was specifically stated at all times (it was bleeding obvious too) that it was a picnic In comparison to other parts of the country... some how, even then, you had to vomit out something about a need to be a mind reader

Like I said, you have no qualification to decide on what is relevant or not .you are neither capable or qualified to do so and it’s here for all to see

A study based on NOTHING ! You clearly haven’t gone to college. A link from BBC is not a credible source .

A denial that people died during the famine , in Ulster, was not made. Pointing out that what went on in Ulster as a picnic in comparison to multiple specific Southern Counties ,a group of make up a Province, (which Francie wants to ignore ) is not dismissing “a thorough study”

I think you are attacking him in the wrong there Randy.
    You should have paused for breath for a minute and you would have realised he meant to quote and have a go at me.

You have absolutely no academic qualifications whatsoever to allow you to decide what is relevant or not when you decide to pick and mix people’s quotes

Picked and mixed your quote?

It's there in it's entirety. You make NO COMPARISON to anywhere else. Donegal is in Ulster.

No amount of fulminating is going to change that.

Picked and mixed your quote?

It's there in it's entirety. You make NO COMPARISON to anywhere else. Donegal is in Ulster.

No amount of fulminating is going to change that.

Specifically list counties , Mayo, Roscommon, Leitrim, Sligo , Galway, Clare , Cork, Tipp (last two dealt with in the first post you took issue and refused to quote) with the Tan war and who did the fighting ,and the later setting out clearly and in full In subsequent posts (educated people didn’t need it to have been spelt out ,but then ye three are wafflers ) which you refused to quote The stats for the famine - which by the way haven’t been challenged by either of ye

So that’s not comparison ? The preference “a picnic compared to “ is not a comparison ?

Like I said, that’s why you ain’t remotely qualified to decide what’s relevant

And again, even with the stuff that you did decide to mix and choose , that line “ didn’t hit Ulster much, aside from Donegal” ,he are still wrong . 20% is **** all

I ain’t the one that has to worry about what is one the screen. Your blatant comprehension issues and dishonesty is your problem !

I think you are attacking him in the wrong there Randy.
    You should have paused for breath for a minute and you would have realised he meant to quote and have a go at me.

He attached his statement to me ! His stupidity is his problem . What he said regardless of who he intended to refer to is nonsense . But hey, we aren’t all “mind readers” Francie 😂 (despite subsequent posts remaining consistent and spelling it all out )

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Did you actually make a point there Brendan?

What am I 'not fooling anyone about'?

West Brit, Plastic Paddy, Shinner etc...all terms of abuse and mockery of certain types.

I did Francesco...... and you got it.

Specifically list counties , Mayo, Roscommon, Leitrim, Sligo , Galway, Clare , Cork, Tipp (last two dealt with in the first post you took issue and refused to quote) with the Tan war and who did the fighting ,and the later setting out clearly and in full In subsequent posts (educated people didn’t need it to have been spelt out ,but then ye three are wafflers ) which you refused to quote The stats for the famine - which by the way haven’t been challenged by either of ye

So that’s not comparison ? The preference “a picnic compared to “ is not a comparison ?

Like I said, that’s why you ain’t remotely qualified to decide what’s relevant

And again, even with the stuff that you did decide to mix and choose , that line “ didn’t hit Ulster much, aside from Donegal” ,he are still wrong . 20% is **** all

I ain’t the one that has to worry about what is one the screen. Your blatant comprehension issues and dishonesty is your problem !

The post you were challenged on again by another poster. Slow down, relax and read this bit carefully...in which you make no comparisons. You make the statement that
    We don’t give a **** about Northern Ireland, never have and never will

At no stage of history was the nation ever united under one Irish State or Irish Kingdom (On wine myths and waffle about High Kings of Ireland etc ). Muckers in Derry and Liam in Belfast Often have more in common with lads in Glasgow than they have with people in Dublin, Cork, Galway etc. Maybe an affinity with Donegal but even they are a law onto themselves

Waffling about abandoning them lol. Pity the Provos left it 50 + years late when it came to successful fighting while lads in Cork, Dublin, Tipp etc were fighting The Tans, Auxies and RIC

Those up North who see themselves as Irish, can come down here if they want to

You reek of a Yank, Plastic Paddy ,waffling about the Famine , which by the way, didn’t hurt much of Ulster ,Donegal aside . The south did their fighting in 1920 , Ulster did **** all

The other poster challenged you on that with data and you flipped.

I did Francesco...... and you got it.

I think I will start calling you Riddles, Brendi. No idea what you are on about.
    If it is some insinuation that I have used the 'West Brit' as an insult or a descriptor of people then just like Redgirl, Eagle Eye, downcow and few others, I will ask you to back that up by showing me where.

There are now that many running from requests to backup claims they have made, we could enter a team in the Olympics.

He attached his statement to me ! His stupidity is his problem . What he said regardless of who he intended to refer to is nonsense . But hey, we aren’t all “mind readers” Francie 😂 (despite subsequent posts remaining consistent and spelling it all out )

You seem to be under siege a bit there Randy, and attacking all around you.

• Advertisement

The post you were challenged on again by another poster. Slow down, relax and read this bit carefully...in which you make no comparisons. You make the statement that

The other poster challenged you on that with data and you flipped.

How did I flip . They presented half baked “data” which actually proved my point. 20% is **** ALL , a picnic

In response , I provided them data from specific counties , including one province ,Connacht ,that showed that Ulster had no where near the same problems

40% population v 20% .... double ..between 1841-1851

You call that flipping . ��. I destroyed their argument . In response, you three spoofers then ,as per usual, claim that I had originally denied “the cost” of what Ulster went through, despite all my posts making it clear that it was a picnic in comparison to other counties

Stop waffling , you have Comprehension problems ,that is your problem

You can’t even use words that you understand lol

You seem to be under siege a bit there Randy, and attacking all around you.

You have to actually put up an intelligent factual statement or argument and make it stick to deem it an “attack” , you couldn’t and haven’t done it if your life depended on it . Your pals have failed glorious too

You are like a junior year pupil trying to sneak into the senior year yard

As for the so called “challenge” by other posters ,they got shut down in response to their “challenges” ,which you refuse to quote or acknowledge

And again, not the multiple time “didn’t hurt much of U,ster,aside from Donegal” was proven to be correct ! You and those two chancers lied and claimed that it was a denial that Ulster was affected

You spent most of your life staying in your lane and knowing your place Francie, since reading and comprehension is a big big problem for you, don’t try to compensate for it on here, trying to sound smart. You are a waffler

15-20 years
    How did I flip . They presented half baked “data” which actually proved my point. 20% is **** ALL , a picnic

In response , I provided them data from specific counties , including one province ,Connacht ,that showed that Ulster had no where near the same problems

40% population v 20% .... double ..between 1841-1851

You call that flipping . ��. I destroyed their argument . In response, you three spoofers then ,as per usual, claim that I had originally denied “the cost” of what Ulster went through, despite all my posts making it clear that it was a picnic in comparison to other counties

Stop waffling , you have Comprehension problems ,that is your problem

You can’t even use words that you understand lol

20% is quite a lot to lose??

Like your claiming there was no famine of note in ulster,while admitting it lost 20% of its population

These 2 positions arent compatible??

Its only the most callous of brits and libs regard 20% of population,expendable to serve their political belief

The fact you have to try (really poor) insults to try intimidate other posters from responding to you,only serves to highlight,how little belief,you have in the point your trying to force

How did I flip

You said to the only person backing up their challenge with a link...'read a proper history'.

THEN and only then did you go on to make your comparisons...in among a dangerously unhealthy amount of invective.

20% is quite a lot to lose??

Like your claiming there was no famine of note in ulster,while admitting it lost 20% of its population

These 2 positions arent compatible??

Its only the most callous of brits and libs regard 20% of population,expendable to serve their political belief

The fact you have to try (really poor) insults to try intimidate other posters from responding to you,only serves to highlight,how little belief,you have in the point your trying to force

**** all in comparison to other provinces ,which at all times was specifically stated, a picnic in comparison

Intimidate ? No, just expose you and your pals for the waffler s thst ye are. Succeeded . Thanks

You said to the only person backing up their challenge with a link...'read a proper history'.

THEN and only then did you go on to make your comparisons...in among a dangerously unhealthy amount of invective.

Nope, the response came immediately after that statement . It is well know facts ,that I was even surprised that it had to be spelt out in the first Place. The three of ye , yer knowledge on the famine is clearly Minuscule . Two of the three of ye even had the apathetic nerve to claim that I denied that deaths occurred in Ulster . And you laughably take one statement out of 4 ,and even then fail to comprehend it or quote it in full and cry about mind reading .ffs

Ulster had it handy . BBC is not a proper source . The West of Ireland were the worse affected areas

Most people, bar ye three chancers , knew and know this .

Stop crying. He have been unable to challenge the responses

15-20 years
    **** all in comparison to other provinces ,which at all times was specifically stated, a picnic in comparison

Intimidate ? No, just expose you and your pals for the waffler s thst ye are. Succeeded . Thanks

Dublins population increased in the famine?

Youve exposed noone.as a waffler,your free to claim you have,but your posts speak for themselves....regarding 20% of irish population dying/leaving is nothing to be proud of

It speaks volumes,that we had 6 famines,along with several mini-famines (one as late as 1912 in my area),and none since independance....the english arent fit to rule themselves,no mind part of our island

Nope, the response came immediately after that statement . It is well know facts ,that I was even surprised that it had to be spelt out in the first Place. The three of ye , yer knowledge on the famine is clearly Minuscule . Two of the three of ye even had the apathetic nerve to claim that I denied that deaths occurred in Ulster . And you laughably take one statement out of 4 ,and even then fail to comprehend it or quote it in full and cry about mind reading .ffs

Ulster had it handy . BBC is not a proper source . The West of Ireland were the worse affected areas

Most people, bar ye three chancers , knew and know this .

Stop crying. He have been unable to challenge the responses

I never offered any opinion on the Famine at all, so what my knowledge of it is, is yet another invention by you, like your phantom 'argument' with Eagle Eye, I am not sure you are at all clear on what you have said and to who, tbh.

I called you out on your claim that you 'made a comparison' in your original remark...YOU DIDN'T and no amount of namecalling or invective is gonna make a comparison suddenly appear in that post.

Accept it and move on, because I am.
    Your unfiltered anger and invective is mildly amusing in small dozes, no harm to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    Listen, spare us the guff, economic illiterates really ought not to be taking ,when this subject comes up

I'd say you'd have a hard term differentiating between arithmetic and economics. I heard you have to take off your socks and shoes to count to twenty.

• Advertisement

I'd say you'd have a hard term differentiating between arithmetic and economics. I heard you have to take off your socks and shoes to count to twenty.
    I'd have guessed that about you. I notice you were conveniently missing when we did talk about the difference between Pearse Doherty's teenage math and real arithmetic and economics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement