Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

15-20 years
    Wow , just wow .

Go find the post where I gave Dublin’s numbers . Chop chop

When did Dublin become part of Connacht and Munster ?

Dublin’s numbers weren’t uttered because ,as you said, the population increased. Dublin was clearly mentioned in the context of the Tan War

Dublin did not even have the biggest population on the island in 1841-1851 ,that was Cork . The fact that this has to be spelt out for you only highlights your ignorance

Well done in proving that there’s no end to your stupidity and pathetic attempt to make false claims through your loss poor Comprehension skills

20% is NOTHING compared to what Connacht suffered.

What is it about you Plastic Paddy Americans and the need to vomit out stuff that’s not remotely accurate or relevant ? Listen lad, you need remedial class , big time, perhaps try Ann and Barry books ,or Tara and Ben .

Typical Shinners

Nowhere did i claim dublin had biggest population....your just rattled posting now

Nor anywhere did i claim you cited dublins numbers??

Like your just ranting at me,about things ive never said,why is that???

20% population loss is roughly 75% of what connacht suffered in famine??if escape valve of seasonal work in scotland,had not existed,would likely been matched it??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

This is classic spin and revisionism from Mary Lou, that we get over and over again from republicans. Romanticising events to try and make their goals (UI included) seem somehow ‘just the right thing to do’.
    She is claiming to have had a road to Damascus experience at bobby sands death. She was 12 lol. No similar experience due to the horrendous atrocities carried out by the Ira.
    Anyway, she suppressed her Damascus experience for 20 years while she worked her way through Fianna Fáil, only for it to come crashing back into her head when her ego was dented by not getting her own way in the party. Hey presto, ‘I better act on that experience I had 20 years ago and join sf,’ lol
    If bobby sands only knew how his name is continually used and abused to make people look honourable.
    Unfortunately bobby didn’t die for ireland. He died for all the Mary-loud, gerrys and martins to stand on
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/the-big-interview-sinn-fein-the-ira-and-me-mary-lou-mcdonald-39229711.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

All quiet on the western front since yesterday afternoon :p

All weapons put beyond use for a day or two while combatants reconsider their next moves.

I'm off to After Hours to talk about biscuits :pac:

Enjoy the silence....

15-20 years
    downcow wrote: »
    This is classic spin and revisionism from Mary Lou, that we get over and over again from republicans. Romanticising events to try and make their goals (UI included) seem somehow ‘just the right thing to do’.
    She is claiming to have had a road to Damascus experience at bobby sands death. She was 12 lol. No similar experience due to the horrendous atrocities carried out by the Ira.
    Anyway, she suppressed her Damascus experience for 20 years while she worked her way through Fianna Fáil, only for it to come crashing back into her head when her ego was dented by not getting her own way in the party. Hey presto, ‘I better act on that experience I had 20 years ago and join sf,’ lol
    If bobby sands only knew how his name is continually used and abused to make people look honourable.
    Unfortunately bobby didn’t die for ireland. He died for all the Mary-loud, gerrys and martins to stand on
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/the-big-interview-sinn-fein-the-ira-and-me-mary-lou-mcdonald-39229711.html

To best of my knowlegde mary-lou went to one ogra fianna fail meeting,when at thinnerz??

Tbf,a utd ireland is the only logical path left,NI has failed,stormont simply deosnt work (geos years on end without sitting), the UK dont want it??

Seems to.me easist and obvious choice left is a utd ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

All weapons put beyond use for a day or two while combatants reconsider their next moves.

Enjoy the silence....

Don’t be too sure there Chops, got the whiff of the windswept whins and heather earlier this am.

I’d say there could be, what does Dr. Tony call it, a second ‘surge’ later unless the big lads enforce the lockdown.

They could get shirty today so best stay home is my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    Tbf,a utd ireland is the only logical path left,NI has failed,stormont simply deosnt work (geos years on end without sitting), the UK dont want it??
    Seems to.me easist and obvious choice left is a utd ireland.
    A large amount of the population, Nationalists, are unhappy at being ruled by the UK.
    How on earth can you come to the conclusion that changing things so a large amount of the population, Unionists, are unhappy is the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Both Sinn Fein and Ff are republican parties supporting the goal of unification of the island. Hardly a huge jump. Unionists jump ship a lot as well to different strands of the same cloth.

She is poised to become the first female Taoiseach at some stage so I would think she made a good call. I notice you say nothing about Gregory Campbell basically saying he would revert to arms if living in a United Ireland.

I notice you say nothing about Gregory Campbell basically saying he would revert to arms if living in a United Ireland.
    As I've said all along there are huge security concerns around a UI. Nobody wants troubles in the Republic. No way the Republic of Ireland will vote for a UI with things like that being said.

eagle eye wrote: »
    As I've said all along there are huge security concerns around a UI. Nobody wants troubles in the Republic. No way the Republic of Ireland will vote for a UI with things like that being said.

This was said a number of years ago prior to the GFA. The point I am making is that Unionists try and occupy some high moral ground when in fact they would have resorted to violence had shoe been on the other foot. The days of violence like that are gone in my view. Where would they get arms from? The brits would give them zero help like they did before to kill nationalists and plant bombs.

This was said a number of years ago prior to the GFA. The point I am making is that Unionists try and occupy some high moral ground when in fact they would have resorted to violence had shoe been on the other foot. The days of violence like that are gone in my view. Where would they get arms from? The brits would give them zero help like they did before to kill nationalists and plant bombs.
    I'm sure there are plenty of ex-Unionist paramilitary criminals who don't want things to change, just like there are plenty of nationalist ones up there too. They are well able to source and smuggle in arms.

• Advertisement

I'm sure there are plenty of ex-Unionist paramilitary criminals who don't want things to change, just like there are plenty of nationalist ones up there too. They are well able to source and smuggle in arms.

Not on any large scale. Who would they attack? Most of them them up to their eyeballs in the drug trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

The Unionists paramilitaries mightn’t have the Brit Govt running them in any future acts of violence they may carry out. Without the Brit spooks behind them they are clueless drug dealing thugs.

Not on any large scale. Who would they attack? Most of them them up to their eyeballs in the drug trade.
    All it takes is one death or one bomb in the Republic claimed by a subversive group and it's over.

15-20 years
    A large amount of the population, Nationalists, are unhappy at being ruled by the UK.
    How on earth can you come to the conclusion that changing things so a large amount of the population, Unionists, are unhappy is the solution?

Well,they are going to have to find a way to be adults about this (they still have their flag and drumcree protests,just peacefully)

NI isnt joining the republic,without the wishes of majority there

All it takes is one death or one bomb in the Republic claimed by a subversive group and it's over.

What’s over? So if say a large majority vote for United Ireland we must not proceed down that route due to some lads on the shankill or sandy row may be unhappy and cause violence.

Enjoy the silence....

I’ve been lying low for a few days with covid but well on my way to being fighting for again and ready for battle 😆

Both Sinn Fein and Ff are republican parties supporting the goal of unification of the island. Hardly a huge jump. Unionists jump ship a lot as well to different strands of the same cloth.

She is poised to become the first female Taoiseach at some stage so I would think she made a good call. I notice you say nothing about Gregory Campbell basically saying he would revert to arms if living in a United Ireland.
    You are missing the point. This 12-year old who was transformed by only one of the 3,000+ deaths 100 miles away in another country managed to suppress all that until it re-emerged to hide her power hungry move to the shinners

The Unionists paramilitaries mightn’t have the Brit Govt running them in any future acts of violence they may carry out. Without the Brit spooks behind them they are clueless drug dealing thugs.

Here we go again. I don’t want to go over all this ground again. It took many pages of posts for some here to realise that there is zero difference in the levels of sectarianism, crime, fuel laundering, drig dealing, racketeering, child abuse, rape, torture, etc across uda, Ira, in-laws, Uvf, etc. Slightly different emphasise here and there but the same levels of scumbaggery across them all

You are missing the point. This 12-year old who was transformed by only one of the 3,000+ deaths 100 miles away in another country managed to suppress all that until it re-emerged to hide her power hungry move to the shinners

Most of us down here don’t look at the north as ‘another country’ nor do the British govt even treat it like its parts of their country when it suits. Bobby Sands death received worldwide coverage never mind in the South where hunger strikers were elected to the Dail. It was a huge moment in the history of the north and the start of Sinn Fein becoming the largest party on this island.

I don’t think we give passports to any other place in the world merely for being born there.

Well,they are going to have to find a way to be adults about this (they still have their flag and drumcree protests,just peacefully)
    You mean like the IRA did?
    NI isnt joining the republic,without the wishes of majority there
    The majority if it's a small percentage is not making things any different to being under UK rule. It's only changing which section is unhappy.

• Advertisement

15-20 years

Indeed,id like to see a instance of when people voted for existance of NI....afaik the border commission was years after the anglo-irish treaty?

The majority if it's a small percentage is not making things any different to being under UK rule. It's only changing which section is unhappy.

Nonetheless,rules of democracy apply....if a majority in NI wished to join south,and this was blocked,how can anyone in good conscience critise terrorists

Imo anyone in NI should be allowed cecede after 40 years,if they get majority approval across the state in a referendum(in similar fashion as sesstion from usa)

There was very little Ira activity initially in the north. However due to a sectarian govt and police force eventually dismantled by Westminster and the killing of innocent people by British forces and subsequent cover up it grew into the organisation it did. I doubt the Dublin govt will make similar disastrous choices.

Indeed,id like to see a instance of when people voted for existance of NI....afaik the border commission was years after the anglo-irish treaty?
    Sorry I meant before the GFA. This is where the Unionists would be if forced into a UI.
    Nonetheless,rules of democracy apply....if a majority in NI wished to join south,and this was blocked,how can anyone in good conscience critise terrorists
    We can criticise murder, especially the murder of innocent people and children.
    Imo anyone in NI should be allowed cecede after 40 years,if they get majority approval across the state in a referendum(in similar fashion as sesstion from usa)
    If your not happy up there you can always move down to the Republic.
    There is no way that hundreds of thousands of people should be forced into a United Ireland that they don't want.
    If that happened and Unionists decide that terrorism is the response are you not going to criticise that?

There was very little Ira activity initially in the north. However due to a sectarian govt and police force eventually dismantled by Westminster and the killing of innocent people by British forces and subsequent cover up it grew into the organisation it did. I doubt the Dublin govt will make similar disastrous choices.
    I'm sorry what part of hundreds of thousands of people being forced into something they don't want do you not understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭mehico

15-20 years
    I'm sorry what part of hundreds of thousands of people being forced into something they don't want do you not understand?

Hypothetical scenario, but as voting and population trends are changing and the majority of people in NI did vote to leave UK could you morally force this majority to stay in the UK against their will either?

15-20 years
    Sorry I meant before the GFA. This is where the Unionists would be if forced into a UI.

Bit late raising objections now,this was voted in by majority (your aware how democracy works,right?)

We can criticise murder, especially the murder of innocent people and children

If your not happy up there you can always move down to the Republic.
    There is no way that hundreds of thousands of people should be forced into a United Ireland that they don't want.
    If that happened and Unionists decide that terrorism is the response are you not going to criticise that?

But yet,youll gladly force hundreds of thousands to remain in the uk,despite expressing wish for a utd ireland

When did ulster unionists become more important than upholding democracy?

And what caused the IRA to exist? The northern state was there nearly 50 years before the IRA formed into the PIRA. What bit don’t you understand about the Dublin govt not treating Unionists like second class citizens? If you go down that route it only leads to trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

50% +1 is all that’s needed in a democratic society.

That day is getting closer and closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years
    She is claiming to have had a road to Damascus experience at bobby sands death. She was 12 lol.

Do you remember the hunger strikes?

No similar experience due to the horrendous atrocities carried out by the Ira.

How did the Dublin/Monaghan bombing affect you?

She joined Sinn Fein after the GFA was signed. And I bet Fianna Fail now wish that she had remained in FF.

Can you explain what you mean here please?

• Advertisement

mehico wrote:
    Hypothetical scenario, but as voting and population trends are changing and the majority of people in NI did vote to leave UK could you morally force this majority to stay in the UK against their will either?
    I don't think they should stay in the UK. I think they should become and independent country.
    But yet,youll gladly force hundreds of thousands to remain in the uk,despite expressing wish for a utd ireland
    As stated above, I think Northern Ireland needs to be an independent country on it's own. Then they can mature as a people and get away from nationalism and unionusm. In time they may be ready to become part of a UI.
    jm08 wrote:
    Do you remember the hunger strikes?
    I remember them and if I'm not mistasken they were over prisoner's rights?
    I don't get how a scrote like Bobby Sands became a martyr though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement