Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

15-20 years
    eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't think they should stay in the UK. I think they should become and independent country.

As stated above, I think Northern Ireland needs to be an independent country on it's own. Then they can mature as a people and get away from nationalism and unionusm. In time they may be ready to become part of a UI.

Northern ireland was run as an effective indo state,it devolved into civil war??
    They've tried semi-indo and powersharing,it deosnt work,and wont ever,they cant bring emselves to allow an irish language act

What your proposing has been tried already and shown not to work,try something new and unify imo

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭mehico

15-20 years
    I don't think they should stay in the UK. I think they should become and independent country.

As stated above, I think Northern Ireland needs to be an independent country on it's own. Then they can mature as a people and get away from nationalism and unionusm. In time they may be ready to become part of a UI.

But to my knowledge there is very little to no desire for an Independent NI and I am not aware of any political parties advocating for this so your scenario would force an even greater majority of people into something very little of them aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    downcow wrote: »
    I’ve been lying low for a few days with covid but well on my way to being fighting for again and ready for battle 😆

All of our usual back and forth aside Downcow, good luck with your recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    mehico wrote:
    But to my knowledge there is very little to no desire for an Independent NI and I am not aware of any political parties advocating for this so your scenario would force an even greater majority of people into something very little of them aspire to.
    Have they ever been given the option?
    Where's the poll or vote which you use for your knowledge?
    They've been under British rule all through. The only people you ever hear barking are the two extremes.

Fionn1952 wrote:
    All of our usual back and forth aside Downcow, good luck with your recovery.
    Here, here.
    Wishing you well in your recovery downcow.

• Advertisement

15-20 years
    They've been under British rule all through. The only people you ever hear barking are the two extremes.

They havnt been under british rule all through since 1922??

This is a straight up lie (well technically unionists see.themselves as british and rule 1922 to 1969),but it ended in civil war

Its been tried as an indo state,it failed utterly

15-20 years

I don't have any polls or votes to refer to I'm afraid but I have never heard of any mainstream political party or movement advocate for an independent NI and this is what I was referring to. I would disagree that the voices of the extremes is all you hear though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years
    I remember them and if I'm not mistasken they were over prisoner's rights?
    I don't get how a scrote like Bobby Sands became a martyr though.

By actually dying for his beliefs maybe?

jm08 wrote:
    About IRA prisoners rights? Isn't that what it was over?

mehico wrote:
    I don't have any polls or votes to refer to I'm afraid but I have never heard of any mainstream political party or movement advocate for an independent NI and this is what I was referring to. I would disagree that the voices of the extremes is all you hear though.

Tell me what other voices you hear? The biggest movers in the last NI election was the Alliance party. They had the third most votes in the last election.

• Advertisement

20-30 years
    About IRA prisoners rights? Isn't that what it was over?

Their listed grivences:
    1. the right not to wear a prison uniform;
    2. the right not to do prison work;
    3. the right of free association with other prisoners, and to organise educational and recreational pursuits;
    4. the right to one visit, one letter, and one parcel per week;
    5. full restoration of remission lost through the protest
    But it was mainly to get international attention which they succeeded in doing by staggering the hunger strikes which went on for months. The Iranians named the street in Tehran that the British Embassy was on after him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

An article over a year old but nonetheless to hear it from a unionist reinforces that it's a case of when and not if, fair play Charlie.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/coronation-streets-charlie-lawson-says-united-ireland-inevitable-37704965.html
    Coronation Street star Charlie Lawson has admitted it was "highly likely" he would have joined a loyalist paramilitary group had he not left Northern Ireland to become an actor.

In a revealing chat with journalist Eamonn Mallie, he also says he believes a united Ireland is "inevitable" but won't happen in his lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    jm08 wrote: »

What is your opinion about people who do this?

RobMc59 wrote:
    Not very smart.

15-20 years
    Tell me what other voices you hear? The biggest movers in the last NI election was the Alliance party. They had the third most votes in the last election.

I hear opinion from all parties and not just the extreme voices. The Alliance as you point out but also the SDLP have made gains in recent elections so does that not prove that it is not just the voices from the extremes that are being heard?

20-30 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »

That they have very strong convictions and pay the ultimate price for them.

What is your opinion of them?

mehico wrote:
    I hear opinion from all parties and not just the extreme voices. The Alliance as you point out but also the SDLP have made gains in recent elections so does that not prove that it is not just the voices from the extremes that are being heard?
    The SDLP made gains but fell behind the Alliance party in votes.

20-30 years
    Not very smart.

So you think Terence MacSwiney wasn't very smart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

downcow wrote: »
    You are missing the point. This 12-year old who was transformed by only one of the 3,000+ deaths 100 miles away in another country managed to suppress all that until it re-emerged to hide her power hungry move to the shinners

It's Sinn Fein spin. They have spent years trying to come up for a reason why she went to FF and this is it.

If it had such a huge effect on her life, how come nobody has ever heard her mention it before? or that it changed her whole political career? For these interviews the person is given the questions weeks in advance, looks like they come up with a good story which the Sinn Fein fans will love.

Is it true? not a hope but it sells well.

15-20 years
    The SDLP made gains but fell behind the Alliance party in votes.

The point being that the voice of both of these parties is being heard if they are making gains surely? You said previously the only people you ever hear barking are the two extremes and I disagreed with this.

• Advertisement

20-30 years
    Redgirl82 wrote: »
    It's Sinn Fein spin. They have spent years trying to come up for a reason why she went to FF and this is it.

If it had such a huge effect on her life, how come nobody has ever heard her mention it before? or that it changed her whole political career? For these interviews the person is given the questions weeks in advance, looks like they come up with a good story which the Sinn Fein fans will love.

Is it true? not a hope but it sells well.

She did actually in 2004 when she was first elected to the European Parliament. She had joined Sinn Fein in 2001 - after the GFA was signed.
    She revealed last week that she had something of a 'Road to Damascus' moment at the age of 12 about the hunger strikes in Long Kesh.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/how-shinner-babe-mary-lou-came-to-the-aid-of-the-party-26221690.html

A fairly good article about her from back then. It says that even as a member of Fianna Fail she was organising FF women's groups about events on Garvaghy Road which her FF colleagues found difficult to understand.

Edit: And in this article from Sunday Business Post (2004) it say:
    A former member of Fianna Fail, McDonald joined the soldiers of destiny in an effort to get the party to take a more republican line in Dublin West. Fianna Fail considered running her as a candidate in the 1999 local elections, but she refused to run and shortly afterwards left to join Sinn Féin.

https://web.archive.org/web/20041019081506/http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2004/03/14/story766283063.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    jm08 wrote: »
    That they have very strong convictions and pay the ultimate price for them.

What is your opinion of them?

I consider them terrorists,do you admire them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I consider British govt and army former rule in the south terrorism. What’s your view?

mehico wrote:
    The point being that the voice of both of these parties is being heard if they are making gains surely? You said previously the only people you ever hear barking are the two extremes and I disagreed with this.
    Well most of the barking comes from the two extremes. You rarely hear anything from Alliance and very little from the SDLP down here.
    Either way my point was that there are supporters for an independent NI are there and growing. Keys get something me polls done to see how many favour the three options and how many would accept an independent NI over the other the option they don't want.

20-30 years

How can someone who refuses to eat food and dies be a terrorist for doing that?

Yes, I do admire them. Take Terence MacSwiney for example.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_MacSwiney

Do you think he was a terrorist?

15-20 years
    Well most of the barking comes from the two extremes. You rarely hear anything from Alliance and very little from the SDLP down here.
    Either way my point was that there are supporters for an independent NI are there and growing. Keys get something me polls done to see how many favour the three options and how many would accept an independent NI over the other the option they don't want.

Which of the mainstream political parties are proactively advocating for an independent NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

mehico wrote: »
    Which of the mainstream political parties are proactively advocating for an independent NI?

The same no that are advocating against a UI down here. Zero.

mehico wrote:
    I think anybody supporting alliance would support it. I think a lot more would support it rather than be part of the UK or a UI as a third option.
    Northern Ireland needs time on it's own to sort itself out and become one united people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I think anybody supporting alliance would support it. I think a lot more would support it rather than be part of the UK or a UI as a third option.
    Northern Ireland needs time on it's own to sort itself out and become one united people.

The Alliance get a lot of tactical votes from both nationalists and unionists. I doubt it indicates any support for an independent Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Naomi long's stated commitment is to safeguarding and defending the Good Friday Agreement.

Which makes no mention of an Independent NI. What makes you think she, or the Alliance would repudiate a successful UI vote and pivot to looking for an Independent NI?

"We want a people's vote to reconsider Brexit with an option to remain in the EU. Failing that, we want the whole of the UK to remain in the single market and customs union, and failing that we want a special deal that helps the Northern Ireland economy and defends the Good Friday Agreement."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement