Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

It was a late one. Usually up at 5 or 6. Sore head today though

Yea, right. P.M. maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You don’t hear the word society anymore.

We live in an economy now.

It’s quite sad

One that can ignore the oncoming train of Brexit (and what it will do to show once again the idiocy of partition) it seems and bask in unworried ebullience. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Mornin.

How are we all?
    'Out the wrong side of the bed' for some, as me Ma used to say. :D
    One that can ignore the oncoming train of Brexit (and what it will do to show once again the idiocy of partition) it seems and bask in unworried ebullience. :)

You are asked how you are feeling and can only make sly digs at others. You never change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    We’re all on the same team lads let’s play nice.

are we? i dont think we are are at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    so you decide to ignore how i think i should be described and just continued on as if i had never said it. and then you tell me how i should have replied. You are as arrogant as francie.

I haven't described you at all, I'm discussing the meaning of a word. The only specific people I have, 'labelled' are those who I have been asked if they would fit my (or more precisely, the dictionary's) definition of partitionists.

If using generally accepted definitions of words, as they are found in a dictionary makes me arrogant, what in the world does insisting everyone else change their definition of words to your preferred meaning make you?!

You are asked how you are feeling and can only make sly digs at others. You never change.

ohnonotgmail I am here for political debate and discussion. You made a point of saying, 'That you are ebullient, because your economy is not being dragged down'. You made the point in answer to a jovial post and answered it in a jovial way. I answered you post in what was intended to be a jovial 'reminding' way. Reminding you of the ****storm encroaching on your 'ebullience' because of partition.

If you are going to take offence because somebody answers you, maybe a discussion site is not for you. :rolleyes:

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I haven't described you at all, I'm discussing the meaning of a word. The only specific people I have, 'labelled' are those who I have been asked if they would fit my (or more precisely, the dictionary's) definition of partitionists.

If using generally accepted definitions of words, as they are found in a dictionary makes me arrogant, what in the world does insisting everyone else change their definition of words to your preferred meaning make you?!

and again you ignore what i said and continued on regardless.

ohnonotgmail I am here for political debate and discussion. You made a point of saying, 'That you are ebullient, because your economy is not being dragged down'. You made the point in answer to a jovial post and answered it in a jovial way. I answered you post in what was intended to be a jovial 'reminding' way. Reminding you of the ****storm encroaching on your 'ebullience' because of partition.

If you are going to take offence because somebody answers you, maybe a discussion site is not for you. :rolleyes:

nah, no offence. just disappointment.

Absolutely. Let the opposition stick unification up their swiss.

• Advertisement

nah, no offence. just disappointment.

Disappointed you got an answer on a discussion site? Apologies again.

Maybe if you want to make statements a personal website/blog with comments turned off would suit better?

10-15 years
    mattser wrote: »
    Absolutely. Let the opposition stick unification up their swiss.

I don’t know what the Swiss have to do with reunification.
    They kind of keep to themselves mostly. Very like the unionists in a united ireland I suppose.

Disappointed you got an answer on a discussion site? Apologies again.

Maybe if you want to make statements a personal website/blog with comments turned off would suit better?

disappointed in the manner of the answer.

15-20 years

and again you ignore what i said and continued on regardless.

Are you tapped in the head? I have directly responded to your post.

A - You decided to ignore how I would prefer to be labelled, and you are arrogant.
    B- I haven't labelled you at all, nor am I discussing how to label you. I'm discussing the meaning of a word, not whether it should or shouldn't apply to you.
    A- See, there you go ignoring me again!

Deluded, onto the ignore list you go!

I don’t know what the Swiss have to do with reunification.
    They kind of keep to themselves mostly. Very like the unionists in a united ireland I suppose.

Not in your lifetime, or any other. Go have your cereal brunch, and a brisk walk to clear the muddled head.

disappointed in the manner of the answer.

Not half as disappointing as realising that there is actually an Irish person at this very moment 'ebullient' that their 'economy' is safe from the effects of partition, with Brexit coming down the line. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Well, that escalated quickly

10-15 years
    mattser wrote: »
    Not in your lifetime, or any other. Go have your cereal brunch, and a brisk walk to clear the muddled head.

Are we talking about my morning routine here or a United ireland?

You seem confused

Not half as disappointing as realising that there is actually an Irish person at this very moment 'ebullient' that their 'economy' is safe from the effects of partition, with Brexit coming down the line. :rolleyes:

There's way more than one Francie lad.

You're in a pretty small minority of people willing to sacrifice the economy for a land grab.

Most people today are looking at events up North and are absolutely thrilled that it's not our problem. You should get away from the echo-chambers you hang around in and realise just how far outside the norms of society your hardline ultra-nationalist views are.

15-20 years

Well, that escalated quickly

I've no problem having a discussion with people who disagree with me (as I'm sure you may on a fair bit, following the thread so far), but I couldn't be bothered wasting my time dealing with insults and total non sequitur responses. Easier for everyone involved if I just ignore the poster in question to avoid ruining the conversation for all others involved.

• Advertisement

There's way more than one Francie lad.

You're in a pretty small minority of people willing to sacrifice the economy for a land grab.

Most people today are looking at events up North and are absolutely thrilled that it's not our problem. You should get away from the echo-chambers you hang around in and realise just how far outside the norms of society your hardline ultra-nationalist views are.

If there are more than one person waking up 'ebullient' about our economy being insulated from the impact of partition then I have a new group term for them, 'idiots'.
    Quite simply it is idiotic to think that our economy (not to mention society in general) has not been adversely affected by the effect of 100 years of partition and that it is about to be (if not already) again, hugely.

Sweet fantasy daydreams there, the 2 of you.

If there are more than one person waking up 'ebullient' about our economy being insulated from the impact of partition then I have a new group term for them, 'idiots'.

You're strawmanning,

Quote the post that you are referencing where anyone said they were "ebullient about our economy being insulated from the impact of partition".

These are your (gobbledygook) words and nobody else's - still you got to have a nice litte rant and label people as idiots so well done you.

You're really showing yourself up badly today - mask is slipping

10-15 years
    Get a room the lot of yis

What about this October 21st deadline

Do we think the DUP will get back to work or will they let these two laws sail into NI over their heads?

I reckon they’re furious about it but can’t be seen to object to it.
    Equality and abortion are supported across the board up there. Two issues with no division. Both communities support them.

We know the DUP are forever shooting themselves in the foot.
    But these two changes are another of example of change happening without them and things moving on and leaving them behind.

We all see the lights changing it’s funny that some don’t. Here included

You're strawmanning,

Quote the post that you are referencing where anyone said they were "ebullient about our economy being insulated from the impact of partition".

These are your (gobbledygook) words and nobody else's - still you got to have a nice litte rant and label people as idiots so well done you.

You're really showing yourself up badly today - mask is slipping
    Ebullient. another day where i dont have to worry about the irish economy being dragged down.

Anybody living in the above bubble is being idiotic. We have a ****storm approaching, and it is approaching precisely because of partition. Partition that has cost this economy many many billions since it was enacted.

Get a room the lot of yis

What about this October 21st deadline

Do we think the DUP will get back to work or will they let these two laws sail into NI over their heads?

I reckon they’re furious about it but can’t be seen to object to it.
    Equality and abortion are supported across the board up there. Two issues with no division. Both communities support them.

We know the DUP are forever shooting themselves in the foot.
    But these two changes are another of example of change happening without them and things moving on and leaving them behind.

We all see the lights changing it’s funny that some don’t. Here included

The exact same thing has happened here as happened with the Anglo Irish Agreement (the effective ending of the Unionist Veto)

The British have once again stood up to Unionists and as you say things will move on now. We will however, probably have to listen to a lot of chest thumping and Never Never.
    I would also expect some infighting and recriminations within Unionism, the TUV accusing the DUP etc.

10-15 years
    Tell us again how it’s never happening?
    Good read

https://twitter.com/shockproofbeats/status/1149365116485492736?s=21

10-15 years
    Just saw a funny on twitter. The DUP now have to choose which they hate more.
    The gays or the Irish

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    eagle eye wrote: »
    I'd love Ireland to be united but I'm against it for the foreseeable future for the sake of peace in the 26 counties.
    Does that make me a partitionist?
    Or am I a pacifist?

As I'm not Irish the thing that jumps out at me is there are people in Ireland who are concerned a UI will damage their country.This maybe financially,culturally or they consider it's just not the right time.
    They are more concerned about their country than those who wish to pursue a UI regardless of the possible harm it may do to Ireland just to suit their ideology.
    You could argue that the Irish people against a UI are actually more patriotic as they don't want a UI at any cost.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    As I'm not Irish the thing that jumps out at me is there are people in Ireland who are concerned a UI will damage their country.This maybe financially,culturally or they consider it's just not the right time.
    They are more concerned about their country than those who wish to pursue a UI regardless of the possible harm it may do to Ireland just to suit their ideology.
    You could argue that the Irish people against a UI are actually more patriotic as they don't want a UI at any cost.

You are forgetting those who are fully cognisant of the costs but who believe that partition has cost us in much more profound ways than financially (although it does and still has a debilitating effect on our economy).

Looking at the trend in polls on a UI, it is evident that there are many more who think this way.

• Advertisement

RobMc59 wrote: »

The supporters of SF/IRA have actively tried to subvert the Republic through their existence.

Their hateful ideology represents a threat to out democratic freedoms and should be opposed by every true republican i.e those who believe in republican form of government as opposed to those who will justify the murder of innocents in pursuit of a pan-nationalist goal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement