Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Meanwhile, in the world of reality....

unnamed.jpg

That picture would be totally different 30 or 40 or even 10 years ago. You do understand what the words 'in decline' means?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

because 'yes' will be a landslide.

a 37% landslide?

You sure they'll all vote for it and weren't talking bollox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

10-15 years
    a 37% landslide?

You sure they'll all vote for it and weren't talking bollox?

Completely sure. That query regarding the will to pay more tax. We covered this.

after all many fought and died to get you your vote.

I am not sure, given his remarks about others fighting for their freedom, that FH quite understands how he got to have a vote. :D

If he does, he is just a selfish, I'm alright Jack type of person.

I am not sure, given his remarks about others fighting for their freedom, that FH quite understands how he got to have a vote. :D

If he does, he is just a selfish, I'm alright Jack type of person.

I got to have a vote because I was born in a western democracy in the latter part of the 20th century - that's how you got to have a vote too.

It's funny how you like to label people selfish because they won't stump up the money and mortgage their children's futures for your little Shinnerbot wet-dream.

Selfish - have a look in the mirror Francie lad.

• Advertisement

I got to have a vote because I was born in a western democracy in the latter part of the 20th century - that's how you got a vote got to have a vote too.

It's funny how you like to label people selfish because they won't stump up the money and mortgage their children's futures for your little Shinnerbot wet-dream.

Selfish - have a look in the mirror Francie lad.

No, I label people 'selfish' because while having the luxury of 'freedom' and parity of esteem and equal rights, they ignore totally how they got them and deny others the right and dignity to achieve them for themselves (in exactly the same way that yours were achieved and handed to you as your birthright.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

:confused:

Of course there is.
    in the poll on this thread I mean

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    Any politician coming out for a no vote (there wouldn’t be a single one here anyways)
    Would soon learn what the term law of unexpected consequences means.

As the DUP have found out in the most painful for them way possible this very week:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No, I label people 'selfish' because while having the luxury of 'freedom' and parity of esteem and equal rights, they ignore totally how they got them and deny others the right and dignity to achieve them for themselves (in exactly the same way that yours were achieved and handed to you as your birthright.)

So who is living in a totalitarian state in 2019 UK?

Who died to give the average Joe in Leeds a vote in the UK?

Any politician coming out for a no vote (there wouldn’t be a single one here anyways)
    Would soon learn what the term law of unexpected consequences means.

As the DUP have found out in the most painful for them way possible this very week:)

Politicians don't decide referendums, voters do.

Maybe you like to do as your told, most people make their own minds up, especially if it's going to cost them billions every year.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    markodaly wrote: »
    So who is living in a totalitarian state in 2019 UK?

Who died to give the average Joe in Leeds a vote in the UK?

There's Irish people who do not want to be ruled by a foreign government or live under their laws. There's a thread about it.

10-15 years
    Politicians don't decide referendums, voters do.

Maybe you like to do as your told, most people make their own minds up, especially if it's going to cost them billions every year.

Same way we’d be killing millions of babies every year after repeal?

You’re trying your best and I respect that but you haven’t a bulls notion about any of this and id at least respect your opinion if you even tried to find a single other argument other than that stupid one you’ve dragged out repeatedly without any proof to back it up.

Please try harder.

There's Irish people who do not want to be ruled by a foreign government or live under their laws. There's a thread about it.

And there are more 'Irish' people in the north who would prefer the status quo.
    That is not the question I asked however. I asked, who is being denied a vote in 2019 UK?

Let them move to the ROI them.

**** sake, it's only down the road for most of them.

It's obviously not that bad for them up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

10-15 years
    So far, the poll here now stands at,

393 - Yes it will happen at some time or another
    166 - Ulster says no, it will never happen

It would appear that would indicate it will happen, if public opinion and voters choice are listened to, acted on and respected by the ruling politicians..........

Ahh, Wait a minute, so we know how that will pan out!!

10-15 years
    Let them move to the ROI them.

**** sake, it's only down the road for most of them.

It's obviously not that bad for them up there.

Same could be said to any unionists, but I support all my fellow Irishmen's right to an opinion equally and stay where they call home.

And there are more 'Irish' people in the north who would prefer the status quo.
    That is not the question I asked however. I asked, who is being denied a vote in 2019 UK?

Nobody is.

Gerrymandering is over, 'One Man One Vote' has won the day. And it took almost 40 years for equality to be achieved after that and even today simple rights that are available to everybody else on these islands are denied to people because of the remnants of a Unionist/religious veto.

10-15 years
    How do you know ET is a unionist?
    Cos he looks like one

*always pointing across the Irish sea to Britain saying ‘home’

They’re ewually as entitled to move there if they don’t like the outcome of the referendum.

Nobody is.

OK so.

Glad you admit this.

OK so.

Glad you admit this.

:confused::confused:
    I don't believe I denied it in the first place.

Another poster with difficulty interpreting posts. Or would that be a willful lapse, one wonders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Like your revisionist colleagues, don't re-write the thread. The point which you seem to be inadvertently agreeing with is the unionists have no reason to fear a UI IMO. However I can see they, specifically the DUP, may fear being treated like they treated/treat Catholics, gays etc.
    You've come a long way from casual English poster who has a few questions on the north Rob ;)
    My knowledge of Irish history and politics obviously isn't on a par with Irish posters so yes,I've been trying to learn- I've been coming to Ireland for 40 years and always had an interest in Ireland and NI-that has intensified as we(Irish wife,granddaughter and I)are looking to move to Ireland but I thought I'd mentioned this to you before?
    A UI is a good idea but now isn't the right time imo.
    It can be difficult discussing things sometimes with Republicans as they do tend to dredge up some obscure events from hundreds of years ago which have no bearing on today,my post about the Ulster massacre of 1641was to give a like for like example of this-which has no bearing on today.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    My knowledge of Irish history and politics obviously isn't on a par with Irish posters so yes,I've been trying to learn- I've been coming to Ireland for 40 years and always had an interest in Ireland and NI-that has intensified as we(Irish wife,granddaughter and I)are looking to move to Ireland but I thought I'd mentioned this to you before?
    It can be difficult discussing things sometimes with Republicans as they do tend to dredge up some obscure events from hundreds of years ago which have no bearing on today,my post about the Ulster massacre of 1641was to give a like for like example of this-which has no bearing on today.

Fantastically ironic to be complaining about this on the day that is in it. :)

10-15 years

I have t seen any ‘republican’ dragging up events long past.
    Almost on every page you have people on the other side of the argument doing it. Just look back on the whole ‘never united’ thing a page or two back

10-15 years
    Challenges for us all

Name five reasons a United ireland would be a benefit to all
    Then
    Name five reasons it wouldn’t work and why

They don’t have to essays.
    I’m working on mine

10-15 years
    Fantastically ironic to be complaining about this on the day that is in it. :)

I'm not obsessed with that kind of stuff francie.:)

10-15 years
    Challenges for us all

Then

I’m working on mine

That's a good idea except for things like brexit which muddy the waters until it is resolved one way or another.

I'm not obsessed with that kind of stuff francie.:)

Who is?

Can you point to a republican poster who is 'obsessed' with this stuff and give some examples?

10-15 years

History was raised by some folk trying to dismiss the idea of a united Ireland as I recall. N.I. is a hangover from a troubled bloody history. Today we have a portion of an Irish province, on the island of Ireland, lorded over by a foreign government that holds court in England.
    As an experiment I'd love to see you try hold a conversation on a united Ireland with one of those Orange order lads today. They're likely too busy pissing in people doorways and abusing people as they celebrate a Protestant Dutch King's victory, (partly funded by the then Catholic Pope) over a Catholic English one, which makes about as much sense as it sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Challenges for us all

Then

I’m working on mine

1) The present republic being part of the UK would reduce the catastrophic impact of Brexit on both north and south
    2) Reunion of north and south would would heal the trauma of 100 years of separation and conflict
    3) A cohernt united British Isles would better present the island of Ireland on the world trade and cultural stage
    4) The south would benefit from full economic integration into the power of the UK economy
    5) The south being a full voting part of the Brexit debate would avert Brexit completely

a) There Irish south still lacks the maturity to overcome the chip on its shoulder of anti British feeling
    b) The UK is still too England-centric - the lack of any serious movement for devolved from Westminster local English parliament is the proof
    c) There is a deathwish backward looking minority element hamstringing UK politics
    d) The southern Irish, as represented by their elected politicians prefer the ego boost of being the head honchos of a tiny country, rather than minor representatives as part of a great country
    e) the violent terrorists of northern Ireland would have a fatal impact on the lives of some unfortunates to cross their path

• Advertisement

1) The present republic being part of the UK would reduce the catastrophic impact of Brexit on both north and south
    2) Reunion of north and south would would heal the trauma of 100 years of separation and conflict
    3) A cohernt united British Isles would better present the island of Ireland on the world trade and cultural stage
    4) The south would benefit from full economic integration into the power of the UK economy
    5) The south being a full voting part of the Brexit debate would avert Brexit completely

a) There Irish south still lacks the maturity to overcome the chip on its shoulder of anti British feeling
    b) The UK is still too England-centric - the lack of any serious movement for devolved from Westminster local English parliament is the proof
    c) There is a deathwish backward looking minority element hamstringing UK politics
    d) The southern Irish, as represented by their elected politicians prefer the ego boost of being the head honchos of a tiny country, rather than minor representatives as part of a great country
    e) the violent terrorists of northern Ireland would have a fatal impact on the lives of some unfortunates to cross their path

:):)

Someday I hope you get your wish...a row.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement