Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    2CB is ravaging the members of boards it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

10-15 years
    1) The present republic being part of the UK would reduce the catastrophic impact of Brexit on both north and south
    2) Reunion of north and south would would heal the trauma of 100 years of separation and conflict
    3) A cohernt united British Isles would better present the island of Ireland on the world trade and cultural stage
    4) The south would benefit from full economic integration into the power of the UK economy
    5) The south being a full voting part of the Brexit debate would avert Brexit completely

a) There Irish south still lacks the maturity to overcome the chip on its shoulder of anti British feeling
    b) The UK is still too England-centric - the lack of any serious movement for devolved from Westminster local English parliament is the proof
    c) There is a deathwish backward looking minority element hamstringing UK politics
    d) The southern Irish, as represented by their elected politicians prefer the ego boost of being the head honchos of a tiny country, rather than minor representatives as part of a great country
    e) the violent terrorists of northern Ireland would have a fatal impact on the lives of some unfortunates to cross their path

TL:DR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    History was raised by some folk trying to dismiss the idea of a united Ireland as I recall. N.I. is a hangover from a troubled bloody history. Today we have a portion of an Irish province, on the island of Ireland, lorded over by a foreign government that holds court in England.
    As an experiment I'd love to see you try hold a conversation on a united Ireland with one of those Orange order lads today. They're likely too busy pissing in people doorways and abusing people as they celebrate a Protestant Dutch King's victory, (partly funded by the then Catholic Pope) over a Catholic English one, which makes about as much sense as it sounds.

You are overlooking the fact NI is legitimately a part of the UK and that fact is recognised by the Irish government.
    As regards the Orange order,remembering 1690 by marching with bands on the 12th is ok in my eyes as long as respect is shown to others.

10-15 years
    Who is?

Can you point to a republican poster who is 'obsessed' with this stuff and give some examples?

There is a general attitude amongst republican posters imo which could be described as having `a chip on their shoulder` about Britain which is usually displayed by reeling off wrongs from centuries ago-having said that if everyone agreed on everything all the time it would be very uninteresting , I think we all enjoy these discussions even though we often don`t see eye to eye.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 69,185 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RobMc59 wrote: »
    There is a general attitude amongst republican posters imo which could be described as having `a chip on their shoulder` about Britain which is usually displayed by reeling off wrongs from centuries ago-having said that if everyone agreed on everything all the time it would be very uninteresting , I think we all enjoy these discussions even though we often don`t see eye to eye.:rolleyes:

Centuries ago? Bloody Sunday - Ballymurphy etc etc all happened in my lifetime. And they STILL are not even at the stage of bringing somebody into a court for that.

Don't insult me with that kinda vague answer to a specific question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,571 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    Look there are many unionists who were born and bred in NI. Until such time as they are happy to be part of a United Ireland it should never happen.
    I think if they are ready to leave the UK at some time in the future that NI should be set up as an independent state until such time as there is a huge majority, like 90%+ in favour of a United Ireland.
    This isn't something that can be decided by a referendum. It has to be a huge majority in favour of it.
    Then you have to be certain the people in the 26 counties are in favour of it too.
    I think it's a long way off. I don't think I'll see it in my lifetime.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Look there are many unionists who were born and bred in NI. Until such time as they are happy to be part of a United Ireland it should never happen.
    I think if they are ready to leave the UK at some time in the future that NI should be set up as an independent state until such time as there is a huge majority, like 90%+ in favour of a United Ireland.
    This isn't something that can be decided by a referendum. It has to be a huge majority in favour of it.
    Then you have to be certain the people in the 26 counties are in favour of it too.

Just what we need. 'Eh, we didn't really mean what we agreed to in the GFA, so we are gonna move the goalposts now - a 'majority' isn't a majority anymore'.

10-15 years
    Centuries ago? Bloody Sunday - Ballymurphy etc etc all happened in my lifetime. And they STILL are not even at the stage of bringing somebody into a court for that.

Don't insult me with that kinda vague answer to a specific question.

I`m not trying to insult you-you`re winding yourself up francie..No one thinks what happened on bloody sunday is justifiable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    You are overlooking the fact NI is legitimately a part of the UK and that fact is recognised by the Irish government.
    As regards the Orange order,remembering 1690 by marching with bands on the 12th is ok in my eyes as long as respect is shown to others.

Name one moment where nationalists behave like this.
    This is fvckin disgusting behaviour.

And this isn’t the extreme end of who they are

https://twitter.com/stevenmdunne/status/1149617590576111616?s=21

Just what we need. 'Eh, we didn't really mean what we agreed to in the GFA, so we are gonna move the goalposts now - a 'majority' isn't a majority anymore'.
    And what do you want to do? If let's say only 25% were against it, what happens to them? Do we get another split where two counties stay and the rest leave?
    Or are you just gonna say tough **** to those people who were born and bred in the six counties?
    What about the potential for the troubles restarting if you have a sizeable minority against the move? Do you not think about these things?
    I lived through the troubles, never again no matter what it takes is my attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

10-15 years
    And what do you want to do? If let's say only 25% were against it, what happens to them?

Tbf your kinda argueing that 25% should lord it over the other 75%

But they should be accomndated and extra outreach efforts to make em.feel welcome.in the new state (deffo be july 12 bank holiday for whole country to begin with)

And what do you want to do? If let's say only 25% were against it, what happens to them? Do we get another split where two counties stay and the rest leave?
    Or are you just gonna say tough **** to those people who were born and bred in the six counties?
    What about the potential for the troubles restarting if you have a sizeable minority against the move? Do you not think about these things?
    I lived through the troubles, never again no matter what it takes is my attitude.

I think a lot about 'these things' and I believe that partition of any variety is wrongheaded in extremis. It is the root cause of everything here.

Unionists agreed in the GFA that the majority decide. Republicans have so far honoured their part of the deal.
    You cannot now start shifting the goalposts. Unionists are expected to be democrats just as we have been.

Unionists agreed in the GFA that the majority decide. Republicans have so far honoured their part of the deal. You cannot now start shifting the goalposts. Unionists are expected to be democrats just as we have been.
    You have to be fair to all sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

10-15 years
    I think this is quite possibly the most out of touch, moronic, naive sh1te I have ever read.

You have to be fair to all sides.

Tearing up an agreement that was hard fought after approx 3000 deaths to favour 25% is 'fair'?

Alrighty! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

If and when the is a United Ireland, the 12th is one day that should longer be a holiday and a total ban on bonfires and parades where ther are not wanted. And if the unionists don't like it they can fcuk off across the water where I'm sure they will welcome these "open minded and easy going" individuals

votecounts wrote: »
    If and when the is a United Ireland, the 12th is one day that should longer be a holiday and a total ban on bonfires and parades where ther are not wanted. And if the unionists don't like it they can fcuk off across the water where I'm sure they will welcome these "open minded and easy going" individuals

I favour a 20 year moratorium on flag flying (outside of official state occasions) and marching and parades, by everyone. Work for the peace and for the success of a UI.

Tearing up an agreement that was hard fought after approx 3000 deaths to favour 25% is 'fair'?
    Alrighty!
    We are not talking about the GFA here, we are talking about a United Ireland. That's a whole different thing.

We are not talking about the GFA here, we are talking about a United Ireland. That's a whole different thing.

What? A UI will be facilitated by the GFA. Which is an 'agreement' between all the people of this island. You wish to move the goalposts contained within it and call that fair.

What? A UI will be facilitated by the GFA. Which is an 'agreement' between all the people of this island. You wish to move the goalposts contained within it and call that fair.
    I don't remember ever getting to vote about a United Ireland.

• Advertisement

I don't remember ever getting to vote about a United Ireland.

You agreed that if a majority vote for a UI that it will happen. There were no secondary clauses saying that the size of the majority could be qualified later.

If 51% vote for it, the onus is on the 2 governments to make it happen.

You agreed that if a majority vote for a UI that it will happen. There were no secondary clauses saying that the size of the majority could be qualified later.

If 51% vote for it, the onus is on the 2 governments to make it happen.
    Well then I want another referendum.

Well then I want another referendum.

Either get yourself elected or find some political representation for that then. I find it extraordinary that there are claims of massive opposition to a UI and yet not one single Irish political representative (even the bould spotter of bandwagons Peter Casey) has voiced this opposition to it.

Curious, wouldn't you say?

Curious, wouldn't you say?
    You rarely hear politicians state they are against anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's perfectly within the remit of the GFA for ROI voters to decide to reject a UI unless a substantial majority in NI want it.

It would be a very sensible decision.

Imagine the violence associated with a UI process that 49% of the population are opposed to.

No thanks.

The GFA gives us a voice and specifically avoids us having to take on the Nordies without a choice.

It's perfectly within the remit of the GFA for ROI voters to decide to reject a UI unless a substantial majority in NI want it.

Who said any different?

So can you tell us why, given that you keep claiming that there is a 'massive majority' against a UI, that that point of view has not found a SINGLE political voice?

Isn't that rather curious?

Who said any different?

So can you tell us why, given that you keep claiming that there is a 'massive majority' against a UI, that that point of view has not found a SINGLE political voice?

Isn't that rather curious?

Nobody talks about it because it's not a realistic proposition or one that most people, outside of a few online Shinnerbots, really think about.

Be assured, the voters of this country will mobilise should their future prosperity or peace be threatened by the prospect of a UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nobody talks about it because it's not a realistic proposition or one that most people, outside of a few online Shinnerbots, really think about.

Be assured, the voters of this country will mobilise should their future prosperity or peace be threatened by the prospect of a UI.

Oh there's quite a few people starting to talk about it thanks to Brexit. Hence the increase in hysterical Goebbelisms from yourself. Squeaky bum time for the Partitionistas :D

Your last two Taoisigh have 'talked' about it as well as many other politicians. NOT A SINGLE political voice against it. Just a few well known online partitionists.

That is the reality and you have made no attempt to address why that is.

• Advertisement

Your last two Taoisigh have 'talked' about it as well as many other politicians. NOT A SINGLE political voice against it. Just a few well known online partitionists.

That is the reality and you have made no attempt to address why that is.

I've told you why, it's not my fault you can't comprehend it. It's not a realistic proposition. A bit of lip service to a UI costs nothing politically or economically.

If you think opposition to the notion won't mobilise if we are threatened by it, you are hilariously deluded.

Step outside your echo chamber lad. You'll be surprised how many of us there are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement