Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I see the new Irish rugby jersey has “Aontacht” (Unity) written in Ogham on the sleeves.

It’s inevitable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    I see the new Irish rugby jersey has “Aontacht” (Unity) written in Ogham on the sleeves.

It’s inevitable.

It’s simplistic but the rugby team show us we are actually better together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

You’re deluded thinking that’s going to be the outcome!

Loyalists have never been able to mount any kind of attacks without the help of the Brits. As long as they have their own turf to sell drugs to they’ll be too busy to bother Dublin.

I wouldn't expect anyone with your username to have any insight into the thinking of the average ROI voter.

We'll put our children's futures ahead of a nationalist pipe dream all day, every day.

You'll be a long time waiting for your UI. Get yourself comfortable with that.

10-15 years
    BarryD2 wrote: »
    Mary Lou telling the unionist community that they need to take part or get left behind is just exactly why they won't. And both she and SF know that - politics up north is first & foremost about controlling your own respective community. A UI or maintenance of the Union is secondary. You tell your respective community what they want to hear, keep them divided and keep your bum on the seat. That's about it. A UI will never come from them, it needs a thoughtful attitude down here in the Republic, a willingness to persuade and be open to different political structures that will encompass all. Give and take, not take all.

Completely agree. But the idea of a UI doesn’t belong to SF.
    You’re already seeing our established parties warning up to the idea.
    They’ll jump on this anyways but especially to own it / take it from SF and make it look like it was always their idea.
    It’s kind of what they do.

Look at marriage equality and repeal for evidence of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The NI economy is already tanking with no sign of recovery. The UK doesn’t care.
    You are correct for once.
    People will see the benefit in their pockets of a UI and vote accordingly.

There is also a delusion, or willful delusion among partitionists that the northern Ireland economy (already falling off a cliff, if this weeks figures are to be believed) will not cause huge contagion here. They have this groundless belief that if they ignore it, it has no effect on them.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    I wouldn't expect anyone with your username to have any insight into the thinking of the average ROI voter.

We'll put our children's futures ahead of a nationalist pipe dream all day, every day.

I can never tell if you’re a hardcore unionist or someone who really hates everyone up there.

Completely agree. But the idea of a UI doesn’t belong to SF.
    You’re already seeing our established parties warning up to the idea.
    They’ll jump on this anyways but especially to own it / take it from SF and make it look like it was always their idea.
    It’s kind of what they do.

Look at marriage equality and repeal for evidence of it.

Look at Special Status for northern Ireland in Brexit. Originally rubbished by Enda Kenny when SF requested it, but now firm policy of our government.

The push for a UI will be adopted in the same way when the wind changes and it is already underway.

Born and bred in Dublin.

Look at Special Status for northern Ireland in Brexit. Originally rubbished by Enda Kenny when SF requested it, but now firm policy of our government.

The push for a UI will be adopted in the same way when the wind changes and it is already underway.

Every single political party in the Republic has a United Ireland as a stated goal.

Every single political party will campaign for a United Ireland.

Every single political party in the Republic has a United Ireland as a stated goal.

Every single political party will campaign for a United Ireland.

I asked why no political voice has emerged against a UI here if those anti the idea were huge in number. No rational answers yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I asked why no political voice has emerged against a UI here if those anti the idea were huge in number. No rational answers yet.

I think you'd find it hard as a political voice or group in the Republic to be opposed to a UI. It's something that would run counter culture to the identity that many in the South have created for themselves. Like the way, we fill in the census form every five years and large numbers say they can speak Irish when in practice they can like ****. It's a green tinged aspiration. Sure we can Dia dhuit agus slán and the usual school Irish phrases but that's the limit of it.

In practice, I and I'm sure many others wouldn't vote for reunification, unless there was broad consensus among the people up North, that this is what they want. Who wants to import a substantial population of angry disaffected and quite likely violent Loyalists into our midst?

10-15 years
    It’s not like that element are suddenly all going to move down here and do the whole 12th thing to annoy us. They’ll do it up there for sure but that’ll be the end of it.
    They haven’t the funding or competence to start any kind of bombing campaign either.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I think you'd find it hard as a political voice or group in the Republic to be opposed to a UI. It's something that would run counter culture to the identity that many in the South have created for themselves. Like the way, we fill in the census form every five years and large numbers say they can speak Irish when in practice they can like ****. It's a green tinged aspiration. Sure we can Dia dhuit agus slán and the usual school Irish phrases but that's the limit of it.

In practice, I and I'm sure many others wouldn't vote for reunification, unless there was broad consensus among the people up North, that this is what they want. Who wants to import a substantial population of angry disaffected and quite likely violent Loyalists into our midst?

When has democracy ever been concerned with consensus? It’s majority rule, that’s what democracy is about. We do need to ensure that the minority is protected.

As for consensus, you’ve got double standards here as currently there is no broad consensus up the north (there is an assumed majority though) but you’re happy to ignore that at the moment? Sorry pal but that’s pure hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

10-15 years
    You quack like a duck mate.

Don't get offended when people call you a duck.

Once again...yous can support reunification without supporting sinn fein and screaming shinnerbot at everyone who deosnt agree with you isnt debate

Quite why this is belong ypu to grasp.is beyond me

Probably for the same reason there's no political voice against alien invasion.

It's not necessary to mobilise opposition against a scenario that has almost zero likelihood of happening.

It's been explained to you a few times at this stage.

10-15 years
    I’ll can make a bold predication and say that post unification you’ll see that cohort of unionism further isolate and refuse to engage. They’ll end up basically like the travelling community. Granted a separate ethnic status and then broadly ignored.
    They’ll be like Cork. ‘We’re better than all youse!’ Course yis are lads. Course yis are. (Eyeroll)

Aaaand life goes on

It's not necessary to mobilise opposition against a scenario that has almost zero likelihood of happening.

It's been explained to you a few time at this stage.

I don’t post on the forum about three titted donkeys taking over the world as I don’t feel it’s ever going to happen.

Strange that you feel the need to constantly debate something that you think is never going to happen.

Like everyone else, you know it’s inevitable.

It's kinda amusing that the only political party to have unification as the central plank of their policy is the same one that got their arses handed to them at the last election.:D

I don’t post on the forum about three titted donkeys taking over the world as I don’t feel it’s ever going to happen.

Strange that you feel the need to constantly debate something that you think is never going to happen.

Like everyone else, you know it’s inevitable.

Tis an amusing diversion for me to burst the bubbles of the barstool brigade.

I wouldn't worry about it mate.

10-15 years

You have far more posts than most on this thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

10-15 years
    Tis an amusing diversion for me to burst the bubbles of the barstool brigade

Despite having your arse handed to you as regards facts and figures?

Kinda masochist of you....but each to their own i guess

It's kinda amusing that the only political party to have unification as the central plank of their policy is the same one that got their arses handed to them at the last election.:D

You’re getting your arse handed to you so...

30rljkx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If you've been to the north you'll see that a UI isn't happening for a long time

You’re bursting no bubbles... but hopefully you’re learning something.

10-15 years
    Red squirrels and unionists. Both endangered species

It's been explained to you a few times at this stage.

Can you really not see the absurdity of getting to your final position through this falsehood?

'Zero likelihood'...please link to something that confirms this.

Even before the bills and proposals for our any of our referendums you care to name were formulated, even when they were just ideas...political voices were supporting or opposing the various positions.

Against a UI?...nothing.

10-15 years
    Would be helpful if you could provide some statistics or proof of any kind other than your opinion’ it will never happen’ Hugger

I’ll can make a bold predication and say that post unification you’ll see that cohort of unionism further isolate and refuse to engage. They’ll end up basically like the travelling community. Granted a separate ethnic status and then broadly ignored.
    They’ll be like Cork. ‘We’re better than all youse!’ Course yis are lads. Course yis are. (Eyeroll)

Aaaand life goes on

If they refuse to engage then they will go the same way as the protestant community in the south after independence. Who self admit to not engaging and thereby suffering.

10-15 years
    If they refuse to engage then they will go the same way as the protestant community in the south after independence. Who self admit to not engaging and thereby suffering.

The rise of the moderate parties up north is a great thing in all this.
    Just read on the other thread the DUP no longer have the veto through lack of numbers.
    I doubt they’d even take their seats in a post UI. They’d abstain. But they’re dwindling anyways so they’ll be an irrelevance soon

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    Love the fact that when this ref happens *we’re* going to be the unionists! Haha

‘They’re takin arrr flegs AND are name!!’

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement