Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,572 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    To an aforementioned 'alien' visiting this country, what would they logically assume from that?
    Everything that was done was about ending theb troubles, for peace. It wasn't done for a UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is rampant economic inactivity in the north - far higher than here. The unemployment figures are hugely misleading as they are stripping out inactivity.

Derry, for example, has a huge percentage welfare dependent population. It's like Limerick on crack.

We'd have to take that on in a United Ireland.

I think the north needs to sort itself out first and grow before we can have a United Ireland.

Otherwise when faced with the stark figures in a referendum people in the south will say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

braidman wrote: »
    was ne temere not responsible for the decline of southern prods as well as emigration

The massacre / murder of innocent protestants a century ago in places like Co. Cork did not help, and there was burning out and intimidation of other protestants. Of course the attitude of the RC Church towards the protestant partner in mixed marriages was deeply sectarian too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    janfebmar wrote: »
    The massacre / murder of innocent protestants a century ago in places like Co. Cork did not help, and there was burning out and intimidation of other protestants. Of course the attitude of the RC Church towards the protestant partner in mixed marriages was deeply sectarian too.

‘Massacre of innocent Protestants’

Where was this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Even the suggestion of bomb threats would impact on the FDI sector on which the ROI is extremely dependent.

Between the 10 billion a year that NI requires and the likelyhood of billions more being lost due to terrorism, the economic effects of a UI would wreck our country for generations, it may in fact never recover.

We would finally end up in the economic wasteland that SF/IRA have always dreamed of.

There will never be a UI and never be a Border Poll.

• Advertisement

‘Massacre of innocent Protestants’

Where was this now?

West Cork a century ago, for example. Thankfully times have changed.

10-15 years
    West Cork a century ago, for example. Thankfully times have changed.

Literally the first I’ve ever heard of it.
    Can you provide a link to some info please?

It was always played down by the Irish state, and never taught at school. Google the Dunmanway murders, where 10 protestants were killed, for example, or read some of the accounts by historian Peter Hart. There were "burnings out", intimidation and murder of innocents in other parts of the country too.

10-15 years
    It was always played down by the Irish state, and never taught at school. Google the Dunmanway murders, where 10 protestants were killed, for example, or read some of the accounts by historian Peter Hart. There were "burnings out", intimidation and murder of innocents in other parts of the country too.

So it was in response to British auxillaries burning Cork and causing millions in damage and thousands of job losses and an ongoing series of violence by auxiliaries and Black and Tans against civilians.

Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

10-15 years

http://www.theirishstory.com/2011/11/01/peter-hart-and-the-dunmanway-killings-controversy/#.XSru2h7hSdM

This would be a relatively balanced anlysis of it...terrible stuff killing people

You Should be cautioned againest peter hart,he was found out to have made up sources before though (in relation to kilmichael ambush in tan war/WOI)....a google of other main names in article deosnt throw up any such issues

• Advertisement

So it was in response to British auxillaries burning Cork and causing millions in damage and thousands of job losses and an ongoing series of violence by auxiliaries and Black and Tans against civilians.

So at least you acknowledge the mass sectarian murders of innocent protestants by Republicans took place. There was plenty of intimidation and harassment and "burnings out", as well as the odd murder, that never made the history books. The winning side was Republicans, they literally wrote the history book in the 26 counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The Sinn Fein leadership condemned that at the time.

In that war, by the way, the opposition burned and sacked many small towns and villages in Ireland, beginning with Tuam in County Galway in July 1920 and also including Trim, Balbriggan, Knockcroghery, Thurles and Templemore. The seiged Tralee to starve it in medieval fashion, shooting civilians, abducting and murdering civilians, they sacked cork destroying the city centre. Catholic’a were burnt out as government policy. A tank or armoured car roled onto a major game at Croke Park, pointed its gun at the crowd and killed civilians.

There’s much more.

10-15 years
    So at least you acknowledge the mass sectarian murders of innocent protestants by Republicans took place.

Ten isn’t ‘mass murder’. If you really think the Black and Tans alone were peace love and daisies and didn’t murder vastly more people than the ten you mentioned, you haven’t been listening.

Ten isn’t ‘mass murder’. If you really think the Black and Tans alone were peace love and daisies and didn’t murder vastly more people than the ten you mentioned, you haven’t been listening.

I listened to people who were old when I was young, which is a very long time ago. Do not try to tell me what happened then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's a crock of **** that Peter Hart came up, the same fella who somehow managed to interview IRA veterans from beyond the grave:D

• Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Even the suggestion of bomb threats would impact on the FDI sector on which the ROI is extremely dependent.

Between the 10 billion a year that NI requires and the likelyhood of billions more being lost due to terrorism, the economic effects of a UI would wreck our country for generations, it may in fact never recover.

We would finally end up in the economic wasteland that SF/IRA have always dreamed of.

There will never be a UI and never be a Border Poll.

So you invent a 'dreamland' and then tell us that it will never happen?

NI will not require 10 billion. It doesn't cost that even now as you well know.

10-15 years
    Bambi wrote: »
    It's a crock of **** that Peter Hart came up, the same fella who somehow managed to interview IRA veterans from beyond the grave:D

Il have you clairvoyance,is a legtimate historical method of research

:pac:

The Sinn Fein leadership condemned that at the time.

In that war, by the way, the opposition burned and sacked many small towns and villages in Ireland, beginning with Tuam in County Galway in July 1920 and also including Trim, Balbriggan, Knockcroghery, Thurles and Templemore. The seiged Tralee to starve it in medieval fashion, shooting civilians, abducting and murdering civilians, they sacked cork destroying the city centre. Catholic’a were burnt out as government policy. A tank or armoured car roled onto a major game at Croke Park, pointed its gun at the crowd and killed civilians.

There’s much more.

Don't be stopping Janfebmar plucking yet another set of victims out of the context of what was happening, to exploit in her Brits Good, Irish Bad narrative.

Bambi wrote: »

There were a lot more than a few innocent protestants murdered and burnt out and intimidated, that much is known. Hart was not all wrong.

10-15 years
    I listened to people who were old when I was young, which is a very long time ago. Do not try to tell me what happened then.

You only seem to be aware of one particular side of it. That’s not really how this works.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    Hart was not all wrong.

Tbf he justs make crazy sh1t up for attention......hes the gemma odoherty of historians

Is the fact he's only one running with your version of events,the least bit concerning for yous??

Republicans here only seem to be aware of one particular side of it. Indoctrination, it is called. Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As someone who grew up in mid-West cork, home of IRA flying columns, I similarly heard many stories from older people. We can choose to dwell on these stories, losing ourselves in a past we were not part of and carrying on their mistakes, or we can move forwards and not see the world through their lens.

I know which approach I prefer.

Republicans here were not even discussing it until you came in to exploit the victims on one side...yet again. And somehow it is Republicans that are 'unaware'. :D:D:rolleyes:

10-15 years
    Republicans here only seem to be aware of one particular side of it. Indoctrination, it is called. Sad but true.

We have a far better grasp of our history and identity than our British pals do of theirs or ours. That’s not indoctrination. That’s learning from the past and not repeating it and moving forward. Exactly because of past British atrocities in Ireland is why you’ll see this referendum sail through once it’s called.
    You mightn’t like that but it won’t affect your day to day so don’t worry too much.

dudara wrote: »
    As someone who grew up in mid-West cork, home of IRA flying columns, I similarly heard many stories from older people. We can choose to dwell on these stories, losing ourselves in a past we were not part of and carrying on their mistakes, or we can move forwards and not see the world through their lens.

I know which approach I prefer.

That is the problem with the partitionist mindset. Because it doesn't affect them physically they can ignore the violence and will do nothing to prevent it happening again or cyclically as it has here because of partition.
    This time, it has the potential to begin again because of British lack of awareness or care for this island. That lack of care is plain for all to see now...even Unionists imo

10-15 years
    Chilling read. UVF using women and kids as shields to build bonfires.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1150043563985690624?s=21

dudara wrote: »
    As someone who grew up in mid-West cork, home of IRA flying columns, I similarly heard many stories from older people.

And yet many people are not even aware of the sectarian mass murder of protestants, and the intimidation and burnings out. History is often taught in our schools as " sure, the IRA were great lads altogether"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

And yet many people are not even aware of the sectarian mass murder of protestants, and the intimidation and burnings out. History is often taught in our schools as " sure, the IRA were great lads altogether"

Many people are well aware of the burning of the grand houses and the murder of members of the Royal Irish Constabulary. It was a war of Independence, it was not pretty and there were atrocities on both sides. But that was then and this is now.

• Advertisement

Just because people 100 years later dont go trawling for specific victims to exploit doesn't for a second mean that they don't know it was a time of conflict/war that saw atrocities committed by all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement