Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    Evelyn Glenholmes

Brillo thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

janfebmar wrote: »
    The British were at the table looking for peace in the early seventies when they flew Adam's and other Republicans to London for talks, in an effort to stop the violence. The IRA would not stop their armed struggle until they got the British out of Ireland , they said.

Open a thread on it janfebmar, nobody cares about your selective views.

10-15 years
    I can see it now.

Catholic’s are crap. Why am I here again??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The British were at the table looking for peace in the early seventies when they flew Adam's and other Republicans to London for talks, in an effort to stop the violence. The IRA would not stop their armed struggle until they got the British out of Ireland , they said.

Unfortunately violent fundamentalists such as SF/IRA, often need to be defeated militarily before they will consider a peaceful approach.

10-15 years
    Unfortunately violent fundamentalists such as SF/IRA, often need to be defeated militarily before they will consider a peaceful approach.

That didn’t happen though. Jesus the revisionism. Ira campaign was effective enough to force Britain to the table and establish a devolved NI with power sharing. You’re on the cusp of Britain’s washing its hands of the entire region.
    Little thing called brexit is seeing to that. You might not have heard of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years

I'd like to hear your version of what went wrong with the Anglo-Irish Agreement of 1985?

For the record, the other version of what happened to one of the numerous sets of talks between the British Government and the IRA in the early 70s was the ''Battle of Lenadoon'' where catholics who had to leave their homes elsewhere tried to move into houses left vacant by protestants who were going the other way. The British Gov. violated the truce by sending in troops to prevent them occupying these now vacant houses. Quite a number of casualties from this, but it was the British Army that caused that breakdown of the ceasefire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    When you see what their actions did in Ireland alone, as I do as an Irish man, you might try and understand why I would 'imply' incompetence. In fact, I don't 'imply' it, I am claiming it in full blood.

You said they did their job in your earlier post-make your mind up francie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

And yet many people are not even aware of the sectarian mass murder of protestants, and the intimidation and burnings out. History is often taught in our schools as " sure, the IRA were great lads altogether"

Jesus Christ, I’ve never heard anyone in school who was taught that the IRA were a great bunch of lads.

Can you link us up to some info on these sectarian murders? I’d be hugely interested in reading more.

Classic.

A fully armed group negotiating a settlement is some kind of defeat.

The actual consensus would be that it was a stalemate with the British very clear that they wouldn't be coming back to defend the sectarian state they had set up and that they had no longer got a selfish interest in it. That state and the Unionist veto was dismantled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    markodaly wrote: »
    Those thinking that in a few years we are going to have a 32 county Dail, with the Tri-colour flying over Belfast City Hall, while the president is the head of state for the whole Island only, are deluded. This is a 50-year project, if not more.

Not sure I've ever read someone claim that the north would be fully integrated into the the rest of the country as soon as a pro-UI vote passed. A pro-UI vote would just be the beginning of a lengthy process of creating, perhaps, a hybrid state combining the best of both jurisdictions. One of the benefits of retaining a regional police force in the north is that it would be less likely to be attacked by Unionists as it would be viewed as attacking 'their own'.

I think there would have to be 32 country representation in the Dail though. Maybe the DUP or their successors would be abstentionist, but in my view a moderate pro-British party would replace both the DUP/UUP. A United Ireland would be the end of partition, and British jurisdiction, which is the underpinning of Unionist politics in its current form.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    Not sure I've ever read someone claim that the north would be fully integrated into the the rest of the country as soon as a pro-UI vote passed. A pro-UI vote would just be the beginning of a lengthy process of creating, perhaps, a hybrid state combining the best of both jurisdictions. One of the benefits of retaining a regional police force in the north is that it would be less likely to be attacked by Unionists as it would be viewed as attacking 'their own'.

I think there would have to be 32 country representation in the Dail though. Maybe the DUP or their successors would be abstentionist, but in my view a moderate pro-British party would replace both the DUP/UUP. A United Ireland would be the end of partition, and British jurisdiction, which is the underpinning of Unionist politics in its current form.

You haven’t seen the video montage of the glorious 12th and thousands of lovely friendly loyalists attacking ‘their own’ police fire and vans and throwing bottles and missles at them it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There is rampant economic inactivity in the north - far higher than here. The unemployment figures are hugely misleading as they are stripping out inactivity.

Derry, for example, has a huge percentage welfare dependent population. It's like Limerick on crack.

We'd have to take that on in a United Ireland.

I think the north needs to sort itself out first and grow before we can have a United Ireland.

There are few political philosophies more repellant than sneering at underprivileged people and then using the outcome of the discrimination that brought about those problems as an excuse for continuing it. This is one example of the moral bankruptcy of many of the posts on this thread.

10-15 years
    There are few political philosophies more repellant than sneering at underprivileged people and then using the outcome of the discrimination that brought about those problems as an excuse for continuing it. This is one example of the moral bankruptcy of many of the posts on this thread.

Fully agree. And it’s a bvll**** notion they’re spouting that is destroyed when it comes into contact with reality. We’re beyond decent as a people and coupled with the fact the majority want a UI we won’t sit by while there’s economic disaster up there post brexit.
    Well get hit too. Nothing like as hard as NI is about to.

Rest assured it is a minority position. So minor, in fact, that it hasn't found a political voice to espouse it anywhere but from behind a keyboard.

It's not our problem Bud.

We'll ensure it stays that way.

10-15 years

Bud and lad. Please stop :)

Still can’t figure out if you’re a staunch loyalist or deeply hate everyone in ni

I’d love an answer

When you say “We”, who exactly do you mean... and can you point me in the direction of them?

When you say “We”, who exactly do you mean... and can you point me in the direction of them?

Me and the rest of the taxpayers that pay for everything in this country.

You'll be surprised how quickly the notion will be shelved, and those proposing it told to fcuk off, when myself and millions like me are asked to foot the bill of a Shinner land grab.

10-15 years

You'll be surprised how quickly the notion will be shelved, and those proposing it told to fcuk off, when myself and millions like me are asked to foot the bill of a Shinner land grab.

All the polling disagrees with you but you know this.

Such as these taxpayers?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/majority-would-now-back-a-united-ireland-with-support-highest-in-the-border-region-says-poll-38014834.html

More than six out of 10 people in the Republic would vote in favour of a united Ireland in a referendum arising out of the current Brexit crux, a new survey shows.

The opinion poll finds that 62pc of people favour a united Ireland, with 28pc against and 10pc saying they would not vote in such a referendum.

Once abstentions are factored in, the ratio in favour of ending partition in Ireland rises to 2:1.
    Support for a united Ireland is spread fairly evenly, with 60pc saying "yes" in Dublin, the rest of Leinster and Munster. But that figure rises to 70pc in Connacht-Ulster, which also spans the Border counties.

Support is also evenly spread between men and women. Younger people, in the 18-24 age group, are most in favour with 77pc.

• Advertisement

Such as these taxpayers?

Tell them how much extra tax they'll have to pay and ask them again - let's see what way the percentages move.

It'd never get that far anyway - it's as unlikely today as it was 20 years ago and 20 years before that - you'll be a long time waiting - get comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

A fully armed group negotiating a settlement is some kind ...
    The paramilitaries surrendered all their weapons / had it put beyond use. The Army and police force kept theirs.

The paramilitaries surrendered all their weapons / had it put beyond use. The Army and police force kept theirs.

and the UK kept NI.

Tell them how much extra tax they'll have to pay and ask them again - let's see what way the percentages move.

It'd never get that far anyway - it's as unlikely today as it was 20 years ago and 20 years before that - you'll be a long time waiting - get comfortable.

Why is a border poll unlikely?

Why is a border poll unlikely?

Because it would be rejected and would prove incredibly divisive.

Nobody wants it, outside a small nub of republican fundamentalists. They can be and will continue to be ignored.

Because it would be rejected and would prove incredibly divisive.

Nobody wants it, outside a small nub of republican fundamentalists. They can be and will continue to be ignored.

Okay, so now you seem to think that a border poll is likely.

If now you think it’s likely then what’s the chances of it passing in:

(i) the 06
    (ii) the 26

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Okay, so now you seem to think that a border poll is likely.

If now you think it’s likely then what’s the chances of it passing in:

(i) the 06
    (ii) the 26
    Without a plan, none. The post-Brexit mess will inform a lot of opinions and if and when we do have issues to deal with such a poll will go way down the list of priorities.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Without a plan, none. The post-Brexit mess will inform a lot of opinions and if and when we do have issues to deal with such a poll will go way down the list of priorities.

Brexit going ahead will speed up the chances and likelihood of a border poll.

Brexit could easily be the thing that unites Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not until there is a plan to vote on and it will be far from anyone's mind for a good few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Brexit could make everyone in Ireland a lot worse off too. and cause violence and division.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement