Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I see a certain poster back using the "S" word without let nor hindrance

• Registered Users Posts: 69,202 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

janfebmar wrote: »
    That means a whopping 25 % of the people would not. You better pray a vote for a United Ireland will not happen.

Are you people incapable at doing maths?

18% would find it 'impossible'. Which is not a 'whopping' anything. 75% is up on GFA acceptance figures in the NI. And if the 7% decide they can live with it, that makes it 82%.
    What legislation was ever stopped or avoided because 18% didn't want it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Are you people incapable at doing maths?

18% would find it 'impossible'. Which is not a 'whopping' anything. 75% is up on GFA acceptance figures in the NI. And if the 7% decide they can live with it, that makes it 82%.
    What legislation was ever stopped or avoided because 18% didn't want it?

Now that sounds very derogatory.

Now that sounds very derogatory.

Well you were claiming 37%, to be a massive majority. And now janfebmar looks at a survey and works out that because 75% say they can live with a UI that automatically means 25% couldn't when the actual figures were there in front of her.

Not derogatory, the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

The vast majority of Unionists will accept a UI (reluctantly of course).

It is clear there are a lot who would not. Hard to blame them, they will not want to live in a state where ira terrorists (as they see them) are glorified, where their kids are forced to learn Irish etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

10-15 years
    It is clear there are a lot who would not. Hard to blame them, they will not not to live in a state where pira terrorists (as they see them) are glorified, where their kids are forced to learn Irish etc.

Tbf its an anolmy that they want to live in ireland and not learn irish

Then complain about immigrants not learning the language....its like internet logic leaking into real life :D:D:D

It is clear there are a lot who would not. Hard to blame them, they will not want to live in a state where pira terrorists (as they see them) are glorified, where their kids are forced to learn Irish etc.

Well, Irish people have had to live in a foreign state for 100 years, and forced to do far worse.

What do you propose to do if a majority vote for something? Are you not a democrat, is that the problem here?
    75% of people will accept the result.

Well you were claiming 37%, to be a massive majority. And now janfebmar looks at a survey and works out that because 75% say they can live with a UI that automatically means 25% couldn't when the actual figures were there in front ...

I said "up to" 25% would not accept Irish Unification. See post 1380

_blaaz wrote: »
    Tbf its an anolmy that they want to live in ireland and not learn irish

And people want to live in New Zealand but speak what language?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

Do you actually believe that 100% of people have to accept unity in a border poll before its passed? If not,i dont understand your point about the 25%

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    And people want to live in New Zealand but speak what language?

Actual to get NZ citizenship (also needed for PR)....yous need to learn maouri (pernounced mouldy) and its taught at school there

Yes...and you haven't a clue that would be the case. In an effort to get the highest figure you could you got your maths wrong jan, 18% could not live with it.

And there is no indication either what that means...if they would leave, react violently, or ignore the state as many protestants/unionists did after independence here etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The vast majority of Unionists will accept a UI (reluctantly of course).
    The are democrats ultimately, as far as I can see. Their political representatives have said this as well.

Quite interesting this. You proclaim that the vast majority of Unionists will accept a UI if there is a vote in favour.

Would you, as a democrat, accept a vote against a UI, and stop campaigning for it?

Do you actually believe that 100% of people have to accept unity in a border poll before its passed? If not,i dont understand your point about the 25%

Francie said "the vast majority" of unionists would accept a United Ireland. I am saying the figures show a lot of people would not, and rightly or wrongly there would be trouble. For example if the Gardai were to dismantle an unlit bonfire, I would say they could be attacked.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Quite interesting this. You proclaim that the vast majority of Unionists will accept a UI if there is a vote in favour.

Would you, as a democrat, accept a vote against a UI, and stop campaigning for it?

Answered this before from you I think>

I would accept the vote, but never stop campaigning, a UI is not going away blanch.

10-15 years

Should people who wanted divorse or abortion accept a no vote in a referendum and stop.campaigning.....in your opioion as a democrat?

The last time there was a border poll a clear majority of actual people in n.i. voted to stay in the UK. The people who voted to stay in the UK outnumbered those who wanted a U I. PLUS those who abstained or boycotted the voting for whatever reason.

Francie said "the vast majority" of unionists would accept a United Ireland. I am saying the figures show a lot of people would not, and rightly or wrongly there would be trouble. For example if the Gardai were to dismantle an unlit bonfire, I would say they could be attacked.

So, let me get this straight. You reckon if a majority vote for a UI that they should be told...'sorry, 18% cannot live with this and may cause some trouble', you cannot have a UI, go home now like good boys and girls'.

Or 'you cannot have a vote in a UI even though it looks likely it would pass, we are not going to observe that committment in the FA, go home now like good boys and girls'.

And we all live happily ever after?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

So hypotetically,if there was a border poll and the result was 75% for a ui and 25 % against,what do you think should happen in that situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,572 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    Poll in 2014 shows that 75% of the people of NI would accept a vote for unity.
    Polls mean nothing and even if they did 25% is a lot of people not a few.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »

What were you expecting me to do, talk to each person individually? :confused:

The FIGURE is 18%, and of that we don't know how many would be 'belligerent', but it is certainly not the full 18% because many of them will be in the older demographic.

_blaaz wrote: »
    Should people who wanted divorse or abortion accept a no vote in a referendum and stop.campaigning.....in your opioion as a democrat?

No, I don't believe that people who wanted divorce or abortion would stop campaigning. Neither would I be so naive to think that the vast majority of Unionists would roll over and accept a united Ireland if one poll is passed by 50.1%, but then again, I am not a UI fantasist.

The vast majority of Unionists will accept a UI

No, I don't believe that people who wanted divorce or abortion would stop campaigning. Neither would I be so naive to think that the vast majority of Unionists would roll over and accept a united Ireland if one poll is passed by 50.1%, but then again, I am not a UI fantasist.

Are you saying the 'vast' majority will get violent?
    They have already accepted this clause, by the way, in the GFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

eagle eye wrote: »

They would mean that 75% of people were not happy to see NI continue. Are they less important than the 25%?

So hypotetically,if there was a border poll and the result was 75% for a ui and 25 % against,what do you think should happen in that situation?

If the poll was in N Ireland then it would mean a United Ireland, assuming the 26 counties was agreeable. I think there would be massive problems though.

If the poll was in N Ireland then it would mean a United Ireland, assuming the 26 counties was agreeable. I think there would be massive problems though.

Every country has problems. A UI would be no different. We have had problems in the past and overcome them.

10-15 years

Noone said they have to???

They are free to seek secession again afrer reunification...once it passes a referemdum??

Every country has problems. A UI would be no different. We have had problems in the past and overcome them.

Not a problem like N Ireland though

Are you saying the 'vast' majority will get violent?
    They have already accepted this clause, by the way, in the GFA.

Where did I ever say they would get violent?

Boycotts, protest marches, non-payment of taxes, no co-operation with the new State etc. etc. There are many ways that they could refuse to accept without descending to IRA levels.

It is a clear sign of a UI fantasist that they believe a vote will pass and then everyone will live happily ever after accepting the new reality of a united Ireland. It is a hopelessly naive belief.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    It is a clear sign of a UI fantasist that they believe a vote will pass and then everyone will live happily ever after accepting the new reality of a united Ireland. It is a hopelessly naive belief.

Where has anyone said this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement