Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭droidman123

janfebmar wrote: »
    Let's face it, some elements in Ireland could not even tolerate a victims parade (victims and families of IRA victims) in Dublin without rioting, but instead a parade of IRA dissidents was tolerated and went ahead. Says it all.

The thread titled with the word "reunited" is loaded anyway. The only time Ireland was United was when we were with the British.
    "When we were with the british" is that like when poland "was with the germans" i will give you you 10/10 for entertainment value,but you cant expect people to take your posts seriously at this stage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    One of the stranger but worthwhile touchy feely things things you might see happen post UI is the relocation grant scheme. Anyone who doesn’t want to live in a UI and their ever so fragile british identity being threatened, they can avail of a grant funded by both Irish and UK governments to gwan back to Britain.
    It’ll be a huge success. It’ll also save us a fair few quid in the long run if the unemployment rates in that community are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,207 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The was a whole thread dedicated to that joke of a poll Francie lad - I'm surprised you don't remember it. You had your arse handed to you numerous times over the course of discussion.

Have you blanked out the trauma of it all?;)

You said 'widely rubbished'...firstly 'Boards.ie' is not widely anything and secondly can you link to the discussion on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Perhaps you'd be taken more seriously if you applied the same standards to yourself rather than belligerently hurling insults around?

How is your campaign to get me banned going btw? - I've seen a lot of accusations of this type thrown at me over the last couple of days but no evidence presented.

It's almost as if ye're trying to shout down any voices of dissent that don't agree with a happy-clappy UI outlook.

You don't like my opinions - don't read them, don't respond to them - quite simple really.

You'll find I've engaged quite happily with people of differing opinions. You'll also find I've stated I dont think a vote on unification would pass if it was held now. Hardly shouting down dissent when I agree with it. Calling out, 'debate tactics' that would be laughed at if attempted by a child is more like it

No worries though, you go on ahead with the blatant trolling, then play the victim when you're called out on your b*ll****.

I'll read and respond to whichever posts I like too, particularly the ones full of logical holes and biases, combined with a total lack of understanding of statistical analysis.

I note this morning that not one but all two of the candidates for PM of the UK will not accept either a time limit or changes to the Backstop, they want the backstop gone.

Once again the relationship with Unionists has been thrown under a bus.
    Not a good week for the faithful!

• Advertisement

One of the stranger but worthwhile touchy feely things things you might see happen post UI is the relocation grant scheme. Anyone who doesn’t want to live in a UI and their ever so fragile british identity being threatened, they can avail of a grant funded by both Irish and UK governments to gwan back to Britain.
    It’ll be a huge success. It’ll also save us a fair few quid in the long run if the unemployment rates in that community are anything to go by.

What if 'free movement' is gone? :D

10-15 years
    What if 'free movement' is gone? :D

This is where once again NI will get ‘special arrangements’ and no doubt the DUP will once again object.

It’s all they know how to do

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Your explanation is totally slanted and inadequate.

If the SOS and ONLY the SOS is to decide what is appropriate how can anyone win a case saying his/her call was inappropriate or unreasonable.

You need to start making some sense here.

There is no discussion in your posts. The difference between a judicial review in advance of a decision and a judicial review after a decision has been explained to you many times, but you still refuse to see it.

Say in a decade's time that a Corbynite SoS decides to hold a border poll even though the combined nationalist vote has sunk to less than 30% and that decision is overturned correctly by judicial review, you will be the first on here moaning and whining about the courts and double standards and British influence, even though it had all been explained to you now.

I'm all for recognising and facilitating the 12th, but a national holiday, it wouldn't warrant due to the minute size of the community that celebrates it. I'd suggest November 11th, Polish Independence day.

Yes, put the other community down, don't recognise their traditions and customs equally, that is the essence of sectarianism. It is why SF push for an Irish Languages Act rather than a Minority Languages Act, repeating the mistakes of the past made by the other side.

10-15 years
    Intentionally twisting and misrepresentation of points made is the last desperate gasp and sure sign they have no valid tangible argument to make.
    Internet 101

blanch152 wrote: »
    There is no discussion in your posts. The difference between a judicial review in advance of a decision and a judicial review after a decision has been explained to you many times, but you still refuse to see it.

Say in a decade's time that a Corbynite SoS decides to hold a border poll even though the combined nationalist vote has sunk to less than 30% and that decision is overturned correctly by judicial review, you will be the first on here moaning and whining about the courts and double standards and British influence, even though it had all been explained to you now.

Right, I will ask you one more time. Please show us where in the Framework that the SOS has any onus on him/her to explain his/her decision.

We know this after a previous Judicial Review:

In essence it must be for the Secretary of State to decide what matters should be taken into account on the political question of the appropriateness of a poll.

How can you second guess an SOS on the 'appropriateness of calling a poll if 'it is up to them to decide'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Right, I will ask you one more time. Please show us where in the Framework that the SOS has any onus on him/her to explain his/her decision.

We know this after a previous Judicial Review:

How can you second guess an SOS on the 'appropriateness of calling a poll if 'it is up to them to decide'.

Yes, because once a SoS decides which factors to take into account, (and he cannot be second-guessed as the Courts decide) he must, under common law (and nothing to do with any statute) be able to defend that decision in court under a judicial review challenge as being both lawful and reasonable.

Nothing in any of the court decisions you reference contradict that position. They only deal with constraints in advance in accordance with statute, and do not touch on the common law judicial review avenue available after a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Isn't it deliciously ironic that the most vocal champions of a UI are the very ones that lack the ability to share an island with those of a unionist and loyalist persuasion?

10-15 years
    Holding anyone against their will is a far worse evil. Maybe restricted freedom of movement is worse.

But it’s the British calling for that. Nobody else near us.
    Seems they’ve had enough of economic refugees as it is. Be interesting to see what the position is in a few years.

markodaly wrote: »
    The narrative is one of the same, so don't play us for fools.

If you think there should any policy of re-settlement for Unionists then I think you are a sectarian bigot.
    The fact that this is even being discussed shows us all the real bigotry masked behind a UI among some posters in this thread.

Again less of the hysteria. If you think I suggested 'forced re-settlement' PLEASE point out where I said that.

Can you answer the question now?
    What do you propose to do for the people who say they cannot live in a UI and have not the means to move?

10-15 years
    ‘Economic disaster is imminent followed closely by the break up of our union’

Dominic Grieve just now on LBC.

It’s not like he wouldn’t know what he’s talking about.

‘Economic disaster is imminent followed closely by the break up of our union’

Dominic Grieve just now on LBC.

It’s not like he wouldn’t know what he’s talking about.

Partition about to be shown up for the absurdity it was, for a different reason = Britain's inherent and absolute disregard for Ireland, all of it.

Hunt and Johnson just threw Jeffery Donaldson and the DUP under the bus again, as well, a few months ago Jeffery was saying that all the UK wanted Dublin to move on was the timescale on a backstop...Hunt AND Johnson say the backstop must go in it's entirety.

10-15 years
    Partition about to be shown up for the absurdity it was, for a different reason = Britain's inherent and absolute disregard for Ireland, all of it.

Hunt and Johnson just threw Jeffery Donaldson and the DUP under the bus again, as well, a few months ago Jeffery was saying that all the UK wanted Dublin to move on was the timescale on a backstop...Hunt AND Johnson say the backstop must go in it's entirety.

Coveney meeting the NI SOS today.

The kids probably won’t be at the grown ups table

For clarity and for those who might be conned by the deflectionary hysteria being indulged by our most ardent anti-UIers: here is what I said about relocation grants. NOTE: There isn't a single word in there about anyone being 'forced' to do anything, in fact, it says exactly the opposite.
    So you would advocate leaving the 18% who say they 'couldn't live with a UI' where they are Rob?

Is that fair or even humane? I would not like to be responsible for that so would be in favour of relocation grants, As long as they were available to citizens of Ireland who couldn't bring themselves to live in a united Ireland it couldn't be called ethnic cleansing and nobody would be forced to apply.

It is interesting to note in this exchange that Sammy wants an omerta on even the mention of Unionists losing a border poll because that in itself would trigger a border poll.
    Speaking during the Bill's second reading, Mr Hoare said: "We will play with fire if a policy is pursued which adds an accelerant to a demand for a border poll.

"Because I have to say, and it saddens me to say it, I am not convinced that we as unionists would win that poll."

He added: "I am also certain that even if we (unionists) were to prevail and that precious union was to maintain it would open yet again - and one could not refuse the request of a second independence referendum in Scotland, and it is worrying - and I say this as somebody who is saddened to say it, I do not want to wake up and find myself a subject of the United Kingdom of England and Wales."

But the DUP's Mr Wilson said: "Although he didn't intend it, does he realise that the kind of comment which he has just made about a border poll and the likelihood of winning the border poll is exactly the kind of language that Sinn Fein want to hear?

"Because the trigger for a border poll in the Belfast Agreement is a belief that there is a change of mind in the views of the people of Northern Ireland as to whether they wish to remain part of the United Kingdom.

"Is he saying that he - in his short time as the chairman of the Northern Ireland Select Committee - he has detected that, despite the fact that election results show there is still a vast majority of people who believe that the union is the right option?"

Mr Hoare replied: "Any of us who remained to campaign as part of the European Union will understand it is rather risky - I would suggest - to risk something as precious as our union to that thing called a border poll."

10-15 years
    It is interesting to note in this exchange that Sammy wants an omerta on even the mention of Unionists losing a border poll because that in itself would trigger a border poll.

Six they’re clearly bricking at the top and the shiver an the sh!t will roll down no doubt.

It’s gas they realise this is on the horizon but somehow don’t realise it’s their own self defeating intransigence in brexit is bringing it about at an alarming (for them) rate

Not known for their self awareness though are they?

• Advertisement

Six they’re clearly bricking at the top and the shiver an the sh!t will roll down no doubt.

It’s gas they realise this is on the horizon but somehow don’t realise it’s their own self defeating intransigence in brexit is bringing it about at an alarming (for them) rate

Not known for their self awareness though are they?

What I thought funny was the indignation from Wilson that even talking about it might unleash a poll.
    Clearly Sammy understands the clause in the GFA on the SOS only needing to 'feel' there is a need for a poll.

But yeh, how many cul de sacs have the DUP gone down now with fingers in ears saying 'we're not listening, so it doesn't exist and isn't gonna happen'?

10-15 years
    What I thought funny was the indignation from Wilson that even talking about it might unleash a poll.
    Clearly Sammy understands the clause in the GFA on the SOS only needing to 'feel' there is a need for a poll.

But yeh, how many cul de sacs have the DUP gone down now with fingers in ears saying 'we're not listening, so it doesn't exist and isn't gonna happen'?

Coveney met with her today.
    Tells its own story.

10-15 years
    There’s a report button right there. I used it. We’re always gettting told to not backseat mod and report.

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Yeah there’s easily three bots working off exactly the same script here mods. Can we not have a look please?

Report the posts and we will look into it. Do not clog up the thread with off-topic comments.

dudara

I had thought about closing the thread to allow for mod review and a clean-up, but I’ve decided against that.

However, the “ethnic cleansing” discussion stops now. I will review and take any required action later.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

10-15 years
    I think any moves to offer finance for relocation is a little too OTT IMO. There will likely already be costs associated with the UI for some time. People can deal like the Catholics had to except this time they'll have democracy and civil rights and an equal for all policing body.

I think any moves to offer finance for relocation is a little too OTT IMO. There will likely already be costs associated with the UI for some time. People can deal like the Catholics had to except this time they'll have democracy and civil rights and an equal for all policing body.

I think it would be very unfair that someone with the means, like Arlene Foster, can leave but somebody who cannot afford to move, has to stay.

I think it would be a decent, not very expensive, symbol of good faith that would go down well among those willing to stay and give it a go.

10-15 years
    A catholic teach hit jan in school.

Cos he was catholic.

His /her words. Only yesterday.

@janfebmar - yellow carded for a deliberately inflammatory remark

@stop moaning ffs - yellow card for back seat modding

• Advertisement

I’ve cleaned up the thread. There’s a valid discussion to be had here, but this attempt exploded into a f*cking mess.

Right now, I have very little tolerance left, so I advise you all to cut out the dick*sh comments.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement