Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I know you like to pick a little phrase, get very proud of it and repeat it endlessly, but what exactly are you trying to achieve with the, 'black protestants' nonsense? It is totally distracting from the actual topic.

It was a phrase I first heard some Republicans use during the troubles, whenever they rejoiced and cheered after hearing on the radio about the last Provo actions. Heard it or something similar ( black prods) said some times since. I am sure the other side would have choice name for us too. People do not always use polite language. In relatively recent times was not Gerry Adam's caught on tape (he did not know he was being recorded) in Fermanagh describing the other side as "bastards" or am
    I just imagining that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    janfebmar wrote: »
    It was a phrase I first heard some Republicans use during the troubles, whenever they rejoiced and cheered after hearing on the radio about the last Provo actions. Heard it or something similar ( black prods) said some times since. I am sure the other side would have choice name for us too. People do not always use polite language. In relatively recent times was not Gerry Adam's caught on tape (he did not know he was being recorded) in Fermanagh describing the other side as "bastards" or am
    I just imagining that?

Lol

You very obviously imagine a great many things jan your post history is right there for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I just imagining that?

You haven't explained why you are using a religiously bigoted term though. Have you any idea how hurtful it is to Protestants?

You haven't explained why you are using a religiously bigoted term though. Have you any idea how hurtful it is to Protestants?

I am quoting a phrase heard from, and used by, Republicans.

I am quoting a phrase heard from, and used by, Republicans.

I'm not seeing any quote marks here. Although you took the time to put 'carrot' in them.
    janfebmar wrote:
    You effectively condoned the use of the stick before, during the troubles, by condoning the pira campaign. Why would Republicans use the more expensive "carrot" method to cleanse the province of black protestants when the stick ( and further intimidation, violence if necessary), not to mention just making it a very cold house for them, would be a lot cheaper?

Not the first time you have used the phrase either.

• Advertisement

You very obviously imagine a great many things jan .

No actually. If you Google that " bastards" comment by Gerry Adam's, you will see it was in 2014 in Fermangh when he infamously referred to unionists as "bastards".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

10-15 years
    No actually. If you Google that " bastards" comment by Gerry Adam's, you will see it was in 2014 in Fermangh when he infamously referred to unionists as "bastards".

While noone wants to find emselves defending gerry adams i googled this (mainly due to you only ever telling half truths tbh)

Annnd he said
    The point is to break these bastards – that’s the point. And what’s going to break them is equality. That’s what’s going to break them – equality.

I fail to see what is wrong with forcing bigots to accept equality?

The only way to logically interpet your input here is to label all unionists,bigots (their not btw)....but you do like to throw out the black prod slur so idk with you

10-15 years

So jurry called them bastards but you just said ‘they’ called us worse

Are you drunk jan?

_blaaz wrote: »
    While noone wants to find emselves defending gerry adams i googled this (mainly due to you only ever telling half truths tbh)

Annnd he said

The only way to logically interpet your input here is to label all unionists,bigots (their not btw)....but you do like to throw out the black prod slur so idk with you

Once again a quote gotten completely wrong by janfebmar, unless she believes all Unionists are trying to deny equality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

20-30 years
    BJ wants to ditch the backstop, one step closer to a united Ireland. Watch these muppets now try to bully Ireland into submission. It only makes people in the six more aggrieved at being stranded in that sectarian backward hell hole. It will be interesting to see if we have the support and strength to stand against these right wing Tory nutters.

• Advertisement

BJ wants to ditch the backstop, one step closer to a united Ireland. Watch these muppets now try to bully Ireland into submission. It only makes people in the six more aggrieved at being stranded in that sectarian backward hell hole. It will be interesting to see if we have the support and strength to stand against these right wing Tory nutters.

They haven't been able to bully us up to this and they have no ammo left. They tried to drive a wedge between the remaining members of the EU and majestically failed.
    All they have done is irreparably sundered their own Union. The cancer grows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

20-30 years
    They haven't been able to bully us up to this and they have no ammo left. They tried to drive a wedge between the remaining members of the EU and majestically failed.
    All they have done is irreparably sundered their own Union. The cancer grows.

Will be interesting to see if the Scots take their opportunity as BJ flounders about. England's difficulty is Scotland's opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Irish 'reunification' hopefully will never happen. Going on other such events (Brexit, looking at you?), these things create more problems than solutions. Just like Brexiteers in the UK and Gileadists in America, this 'United Ireland' thing will find its Nidge Farage or John Bolton type who apart from a narrow focus on some fanatic 'Utopian dream', hasn't a clue how to govern a country. The Utopia quickly would become a Dystopia. Pushers of a United Ireland have existed for years and they are just as deluded as The current Brexit government and the 9th April 2018 American dictatorship.

_blaaz wrote: »

Annnd he said

To refresh your memory, toward the end of 2014, Gerry Adams explained to a meeting of the faithful (and an undercover journalist) that the point of the party's approach to unionists was "to actually break the bastards - that's the point. And what's going to break them is equality...That's what we need to keep the focus on; that's the Trojan horse of the entire republican strategy".

He actually said that in Enniskillen, the town where the IRA killed 11 protestants in the late eighties. There is no evidence that the unionists in Fermanagh in 2014 were in need of changing their attitude to equality. Calling them "Bastards" or inferring they were bigots raised eyebrows everywhere in these islands but at least Adams apologised.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Democracy and negotiations. Nothing to do with bullying, unless you agree Eu has been bullying for the last 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It only makes people in the six more aggrieved at being stranded in that sectarian backward hell hole.

If only there was an alternative - like say, jumping in a car and driving 20 minutes down the road.

It's mad how many are choosing to live and raise families in a sectarian backward hell hole isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    It only makes people in the six more aggrieved at being stranded in that sectarian backward hell hole.

If only there was an alternative - like say, jumping in a car and driving 20 minutes down the road.

It's mad how many are choosing to live and raise families in a sectarian backward hell hole isn't it.

How is this any different to the, "Brits Out" attitude?

10-15 years

To be fair you have previously called them all lunatics and don’t want to take ‘them’ or their culture(culture. lol ) into our society.

10-15 years
    downcow wrote: »
    Democracy and negotiations. Nothing to do with bullying, unless you agree Eu has been bullying for the last 3 years

Eu hasn’t been bullying Britain DC.
    Brexit Britain is that dumb kid repeatedly punching himself in the face and saying ‘I’ll keep doing it if you don’t give me what I want!’
    And it doesn’t even know what it wants.
    Punch away kiddo.

10-15 years
    McWilliams has a great podcast episode on a United Ireland. It’ll scare the bejesus out of some here :) well worth a Listen.

Demography determines destiny folks :)

The blurb

‘There's a wind of change in the air and its nationalism, you can feel it - it's in France, in the UK and even in Ireland. For the first time in a long time, Brexit and demographics in Northern Ireland have opened a real possibility of a united Ireland. But what would it mean, culturally, politically and economically?’

https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/the-david-mcwilliams-podcast/id1462649946?i=1000439927173

• Advertisement

:confused:

Because "Brit's Out"is a sectarian sentiment whereas my post exposes the inherent ridiculousness of another poster's opinion - which bit were you having trouble with specifically?

15-20 years

:confused:

Because "Brit's Out"is a sectarian sentiment whereas my post exposes the inherent ridiculousness of another poster's opinion - which bit were you having trouble with specifically?

Your post exposes quite a lot alright, perhaps not what you think though.

It seems it certainly exposed you as someone who gets confused quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hopefully a long long time if ever

Let the Uk foot the bill

15-20 years

It seems it certainly exposed you as someone who gets confused quite easily.

Sure thing pal. Why would anyone want to work on something stupid like social reform and fixing society, or have a political aspiration. They should just leave if they don't like it.

10-15 years
    Hopefully a long long time if ever

Let the Uk foot the bill

Arlene is looking for a £2 billion bribe to continue supporting the Tory government.
    Has anybody ever asked where the DUP are spending / stashing this money?
    Because they aren’t spending it in NI.
    And the ordinary Brit on the street is beginning to cop on to that.
    You’ll soon see that manifest in the media once brexit goes south.
    ‘Why do we give NI so much money and why do we get nothing back?’

Even during the eighties for example, the refugees were leaving " the free state" to live under Mrs Thatchets rule, not the other way round. If Northern Ireland was such an awful place why did the refugees not leave for the south?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years

Even during the eighties for example, the refugees were leaving " the free state" to live under Mrs Thatchets rule, not the other way round. If Northern Ireland was such an awful place why did the refugees not leave for the south?
    They probably didn't want to meet any extremist republicans who would have bored them to tears with their deluded ramblings !:)

10-15 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    They probably didn't want to meet any extremist republicans who would have bored them to tears with their deluded ramblings !:)

Nonsensical irrelevant ramblings about Nazis and statues and nasty catholics are ok though? You’re easily amused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

10-15 years
    If Northern Ireland was such an awful place why did the refugees not leave for the south?

They did...are you even from ireland with such poorly informed rubbish

Theres not a parish in the state without at least 1 family from the north living there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement