Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

:confused:

Because "Brit's Out"is a sectarian sentiment whereas my post exposes the inherent ridiculousness of another poster's opinion - which bit were you having trouble with specifically?

No more sectarian than 'Irish Stay Were You Are'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

_blaaz wrote: »
    They did...are you even from ireland with such poorly informed rubbish

Theres not a parish in the state without at least 1 family from the north living there

If that's the case, there are plenty of parishes in N Ireland with dozens of Carholic families "from the south" living there. If N Ireland was / is such a sectarian hell hole why did so many people move there over the past 40 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

10-15 years
    janfebmar wrote: »
    If that's the case, there are plenty of parishes in N Ireland with dozens of Carholic families "from the south" living there. If N Ireland was / is such a sectarian hell hole why did so many people move there over the past 40 years?
    I think you dont understand meaning of refugee tbh mate

Your no way replying in context to.my reply....but sure whatever you need to do to.stand over rubbish i guess

If that's the case, there are plenty of parishes in N Ireland with dozens of Carholic families "from the south" living there.

Where? :confused:

Theres not a parish in the state without at least 1 family from the north living there

The north of Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Curious all those refuges attempting extremely risky crossings of the Mediterranean, but the Nationalists up North didn't want to risk a bit of car sickness to get to Dundalk.

It's almost as if the "Sectarian hellhole" argument is a load of bollox isn't it?

Curious all those refuges attempting extremely risky crossings of the Mediterranean, but the Nationalists up North didn't want to risk a bit of car sickness to get to Dundalk.

It's almost as if the "Sectarian hellhole" argument is a load of bollox isn't it?

In the eighties the cars here were leaving for cheap shopping excursions to N Ireland the whole time, and people were emigrating en Masse to the UK. Charlie was shopping for his hand made shirts in Paris while telling us to wear the hair shirt, and blaming the Brits. Reminds me of another political leader who went to the USA for his own healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    Except plenty absolutely did move from the North to Ireland, Facehugger (me for one). Others didn't have the means to. Others wanted to change things rather than abandon their homes.

Almost seems like it isnt quite as simple as you're making out, but let's pretend it was all sunshine and lollipops in the North during that time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    The fact that over a million Brits have applied for Irish passports in the last year thanks to brexit is beautifully ironic.
    Thing is jan you won’t see any ‘no blacks no dogs no brits’ signs anywhere here.

The fact that over a million Brits have applied for Irish passports in the last year thanks to brexit is beautifully ironic.
    Thing is jan you won’t see any ‘no blacks no dogs no brits’ signs anywhere here.

Its years since I saw a "Brits out" sign all right, but there were more than a few around 30 and 40 years ago.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    Its years since I saw a "Brits out" sign all right, but there were more than a few around 30 and 40 years ago.

Funny that isn’t it.
    Almost like we’ve moved on as a society and are forward facing and aren’t clinging desperately to the past like having marches and bonfires to celebrate a battle hundreds of years ago

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Others didn't have the means to.

Didn't have to means to get the bus a few miles down the road?

Come off it - nobody's buying your magic beans.

If I had a family living in a "sectarian hellhole", you bet your life I'm doing everything to get them out of it.

Maybe the cushy public service jobs and NHS helped the lads somewhat to overcome the trauma having to run the gauntlet of sectarian hatred everyday?

Mary Lou carried one a bit before the Local and European elections when she was in NY.

That worked out well for her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Others didn't have the means to.

Didn't have to means to get the bus a few miles down the road?

Come off it - nobody's buying your magic beans.

If I had a family living in a "sectarian hellhole", you bet your life I'm doing everything to get them out of it.

Maybe the cushy public service jobs and NHS helped the lads somewhat to overcome the trauma having to run the gauntlet of sectarian hatred everyday?

Yes, because the only expense in permanently relocating a family is the bus fare to Cavan or Louth. Catch yourself on.

Funny that isn’t it.
    Almost like we’ve moved on as a society and are forward facing and aren’t clinging desperately to the past like having marches and bonfires to celebrate a battle hundreds of years ago

I suppose Nationalists have little to celebrate from the past, their bonfires are things like anti internment.

10-15 years
    I suppose Nationalists have little to celebrate from the past, their bonfires are things like anti internment.

I was talking about the republic and everyone in it. We don’t do sectarian parades. We didn’t have internment either.
    Although a great many catholic families in NI had to flee to the republic to escape internment and their homes being burned out by British forces and loyalists

You seem unaware if that somehow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

In answer to the OP, probably sometime after Halloween. Am sure the while Brexit thing will work out wonderfully for our neighbours.

I was talking about the republic and everyone in it. We don’t do sectarian parades. We didn’t have internment either.
    Although a great many catholic families in NI had to flee to the republic to escape internment and their homes being burned out by British forces and loyalists

You seem unaware if that somehow
    I am aware of a great number of catholic families moving in to the hell hole of Northern Ireland too.

10-15 years

Why should nationlists leave their homes to appease orangemen?

10-15 years
    The north of Dublin?

Im pure lost with what your on about

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    I am aware of a great number of catholic families moving in to the hell hole of Northern Ireland too.

Why are you calling it a hellohole?
    That’s not very nice. Or accurate.
    NI is a beautiful part of the world.

10-15 years
    Im pure lost with what your on about

Posters usual tactic. Fog up the topic to such a degree you’d need to be on ambien to understand it :)

Why are you calling it a hellohole?

It is what some Republicans called it, a sectarian hell hole. Do keep up on the thread.

10-15 years
    It is what some Republicans called it, a sectarian hell hole. Do keep up on the thread.

I don’t think facehugger would appreciate being called a republican.
    It was himself that said it.

10-15 years
    Now why would Leo say such a thing usually only seen on certain internet forums.

The famine was imposed on us.

The language has changed a good while back. But this is shocking from a Taoiseach no?
    You’ll see this UI referendum sooner than you think

https://twitter.com/darranmarshall/status/1154461018686402560?s=21

I don’t think facehugger would appreciate being called a republican.
    It was himself that said it.

It was myself that wrote the term too.

10-15 years
    It was myself that wrote the term too.

You’re a nasty catholic just admit it :)

You’re a nasty catholic just admit it :)

Just one that has studied history a lot and met people from all sides over many decades, and who believes in fairness.

10-15 years
    Just one that has studied history a lot and met people from all sides over many decades, and who believes in fairness.

Don’t make me laugh. Please. That’s the funniest most blatantly false post on boards ever

• Advertisement

Left my youngest to a film project he is working on with a team from Belfast. One of those vox pop films that looks at the experiences of Protestants in the border counties and Catholics in the north. The young people are asking the questions.

My young fella's inteviewee is a fellow member of his church (the COI) and a friend of ours, a Church Of Ireland Unionist farming about 3 miles away smack bang on the border which cuts through the farm.

Very interesting to hear her talk, she went to a Catholic girl school in the 40's and 50's and had a good experience. Surprisingly, (to me) she made the point that in her opinion life changed for them when Paisley and the UDR emerged in the 70's, she was very critical of the behaviour of both, even though her brother in law, a UDR man was killed.
    'The trust disappeared first as a result of those two things.' where very profound words.

There is another session tonight with adults from both sides interviewing each other...will be fascinating.
    I think moderate/or more to the point, 'moderating Unionism' will be the key to the future of this island.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement