Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    Jan? Rob? Downcow? Blanch?

You’ve all (ahem) been asked questions were all waiting for your replies.

Republicans looking for unionist input. Imagine that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Nonsensical irrelevant ramblings about Nazis and statues and nasty catholics are ok though? You’re easily amused.

Irish history is virtually unknown in England,although strangely it is known Ireland tried to collude with Germany in 1916 and did collude with the nazis in the 1930s and during WW11,the refuelling of U boats during Britains desperate struggle against the nazis is also widely suspected.
    Regarding"nasty catholics",that`s something you`ve thought up in your overactive imagination.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Irish history is virtually unknown in England,although strangely it is known Ireland tried to collude with Germany in 1916 and did collude with the nazis in the 1930s and during WW11,the refuelling of U boats during Britains desperate struggle against the nazis is also widely suspected.
    Regarding"nasty catholics",that`s something you`ve thought up in your overactive imagination.:rolleyes:

The English clearly don't even know their own history Rob. If they did they would be silent with shame about most of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

10-15 years

The irish gave british forever more help in ww2 than any neutral country should have

The weather reports from mayo are usually cited as being pivital in arranging the d-day landings (shouldnt been given by a neutral country imo,but for another thread)

10-15 years

You’re throwing down the Irish refuelled german u boats myth and claiming others have over active imaginations.

Seriously?

Give me anything that isn’t the daily mail that says Ireland fuelled Herman u boats. I’ll be left waiting no doubt.

Jesus you are gettin lazy now

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    Left my youngest to a film project he is working on with a team from Belfast. One of those vox pop films that looks at the experiences of Protestants in the border counties and Catholics in the north. The young people are asking the questions.

My young fella's inteviewee is a fellow member of his church (the COI) and a friend of ours, a Church Of Ireland Unionist farming about 3 miles away smack bang on the border which cuts through the farm.

Very interesting to hear her talk, she went to a Catholic girl school in the 40's and 50's and had a good experience. Surprisingly, (to me) she made the point that in her opinion life changed for them when Paisley and the UDR emerged in the 70's, she was very critical of the behaviour of both, even though her brother in law, a UDR man was killed.
    'The trust disappeared first as a result of those two things.' where very profound words.

There is another session tonight with adults from both sides interviewing each other...will be fascinating.
    I think moderate/or more to the point, 'moderating Unionism' will be the key to the future of this island.

That`s a very good point Francie.Paisley did split opinions as did politicians from the republican side(Martin Mcguinness and Gerry Adams spring to mind)
    That`s not whataboutry-it`s the way moderate people think whether they`re catholic or protestant-they don`t like extreme views whatever side it is.
    I was also interested in what you said about murals,imo they are an art form and are thought provoking,I`ve seen the republican murals in Derry close up and some of both in Belfast.

10-15 years
    You’re throwing down the Irish refuelled german u boats myth and claiming others have over active imaginations.

Seriously?

Give me anything that isn’t the daily mail that says Ireland fuelled Herman u boats. I’ll be left waiting no doubt.

Jesus you are gettin lazy now

Reread my post before you post then you won`t embarrass yourself-I said "suspected".;)

10-15 years
    Reread my post before you post then you won`t embarrass yourself-I said "suspected".;)

It’s a nonsense often thrown up by arch loyalists rob

But you know that. You just did it.

* it’s also been disproved by schama(?) I think? Or one of the great British war historians

10-15 years
    It’s a nonsense often thrown up by arch loyalists rob

But you know that. You just did it.

fair play ffs-that`s a great name "arch loyalists"

10-15 years
    fair play ffs-that`s a great name "arch loyalists"

Once again so easily dismissed with your constant irrelevant nonsense. And your pals also. Odd the way you don’t even have a basic grasp on our history but always seem to appear with the insipid blatantly false remark.
    You among others.

• Advertisement

That`s a very good point Francie.Paisley did split opinions as did politicians from the republican side(Martin Mcguinness and Gerry Adams spring to mind)
    That`s not whataboutry-it`s the way moderate people think whether they`re catholic or protestant-they don`t like extreme views whatever side it is.
    I was also interested in what you said about murals,imo they are an art form and are thought provoking,I`ve seen the republican murals in Derry close up and some of both in Belfast.

10 years ago she wouldn't even come into the south for her groceries Rob, got a bus route changed so she could get to Enniskillen. Now she is in the middle of a southern community group saying the above. Change is happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

* it’s also been disproved by schama(?) I think? Or one of the great British war historians

You cannot disprove a possibility. It's like proving shipments of arms were not imported from Libya for the IRA 1985 -1987, but when the Eksund was caught it was discovered 4 previous shipments totaling 150 tonnes had got through, as far as I remember.

10-15 years
    tonybowie wrote: »
    I think those who see reunification as a sure thing will be surprises if a vote takes place to see how many does sound in the Republic will want nothing to do with the north, i know i would not be alone in voting against reunification.
    Want nothing to do with the north, it will be nothing but problems, economic and social, a large number of people from up there will never want to be "irish" so leave them at it in their misery.

But in event of reunification,the majrity in north will want it?

janfebmar wrote: »
    You cannot disprove a possibility. It's like proving shipments of arms were not imported from Libya for the IRA 1985 -1987, but when the Eksund was caught it was discovered 4 previous shipments totaling 150 tonnes had got through, as far as I remember.

So so profoundly under educated.

The arms shipments from Libya happened Jan. There is even an account of it here from the horses mouth so to speak - Joe Cahill. https://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/13878

10-15 years
    I thought it was a all Ireland vote?
    The north votes YES, and the south votes NO., what happens then?
    I and many others don't want the north, will it be forced upon us agains our will, not very democratic is it?

Meh,can if yas want i guess

But plenty of forgieners can come here,why would we stop our own people

The arms shipments from Libya happened Jan.

Of course they happened Francie, that was my point. My point was nobody (except the pira of course) was sure they happened until the Eksund was caught. Four shipments got in before it was caught, as far as I remember. Before the Eksund was caught, you could not prove shipments did not get in. Just like you cannot prove that somehow a German submarine or submarines did not get supplied with fuel, water or food someone from Ireland during the war.

You really have slowed up a lot this past while.

Of course they happened Francie, that was my point. My point was nobody (except the pira of course) was sure they happened until the Eksund was caught. Four shipments got in before it was caught, as far as I remember. You cannot prove shipments did not get in. Just like you cannot prove that somehow a German submarine or submarines did not get supplied with fuel, water or food someone from Ireland during the war.

Jan...a wee note on historical fact. If facts exist, you can say things happened...if facts don't exist, it is a hypothetical.
    If subs where surfacing off the coast of Ireland and coming into ports for fueling in an age when photography was a well established art, you would ask, why not a single photo?
    Subs require significant fuel...was there an unexplained discrepancy in the amount of fuel used?
    And then you have to prove that it had Official Sanction, and review government paper trails?

Have you a single shred of evidence on these lines other than a rather convenient story that might have originated from a man and his civil service, miffed that we had the temerity to deny him use of Treaty ports as a neutral country.

Of course they happened Francie, that was my point. My point was nobody (except the pira of course) was sure they happened until the Eksund was caught. Four shipments got in before it was caught, as far as I remember. Before the Eksund was caught, you could not prove shipments did not get in. Just like you cannot prove that somehow a German submarine or submarines did not get supplied with fuel, water or food someone from Ireland during the war.

By the way, the Irish Nvy and Gardai had intelligence that the Claudia was carrying arms from Libya long long before the Exsund.

You are talking uninformed nonsense again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    I mean theres no evidence that Jan wasn't a Provo, so let's discuss that as a plausible possibility.

Is this really how sh*tty the standard has got?

The general thrust of things is if you're making a claim, you present evidence.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I mean theres no evidence that Jan wasn't a Provo, so let's discuss that as a plausible possibility.

Is this really how sh*tty the standard has got?

The general thrust of things is if you're making a claim, you present evidence.

Every single post janfebmar makes suggests she is a belligerent Irish hating Unionist (a mercifully small cohort) but I am prepared to accept her word that she is an Irish citizen living in the south, because I have no FACTS to back up my hypothetical theory.

• Advertisement

By the way, the Irish Nvy and Gardai had intelligence that the Claudia was carrying arms from Libya long long before the Exsund.

The Claudia was only mickey mouse compared to the Eksund. The Claudia had only 5 tonnes of weapons when it was caught in 1973.

The Eksund had 120 tonnes when it was caught in 1987. And four other large shipments of guns, ammunition and explosives were made between 1985 and 1986, providing large quantities of modern weaponry and semtex to the IRA. It was a failure of Garda and Navy intelligence, along with their foreign counterparts, to know about and intercept those shipments.

10-15 years
    There’s Leo in tomorrow’s Financial Times.
    The language has become very pointed altogether hasn’t it

EAbYbtZXYAEwGrn?format=jpg

The Claudia was only mickey mouse compared to the Eksund. The Claudia had only 5 tonnes of weapons when it was caught in 1973.

The Eksund had 120 tonnes when it was caught in 1987. And four other large shipments of guns, ammunition and explosives were made between 1985 and 1986, providing large quantities of modern weaponry and semtex to the IRA. It was a failure of Garda and Navy intelligence, along with their foreign counterparts, to know about and intercept those shipments.

YOU said:
    My point was nobody (except the pira of course) was sure they happened until the Eksund was caught.

I said: The gardai and Irish Navy knew the arms on the Claudia were coming from Libya.

As I SAID, you were profoundly uninformed again.

YOU said:

I said: The gardai and Irish Navy knew the arms on the Claudia were coming from Libya.

As I SAID, you were profoundly uninformed again.

If you read back you will see I was referring to the four large shipments that got in before the Eksund 1985 to 1987 I think it was. The Claudia was a vastly smaller shipment in a different era practically ( 1973).

Do try harder.

10-15 years
    Reeks of panic from Varadkar

Ehhh ok

Ehhh ok
    Once again. Can you name them?

Of course. Patrick McGrath and Thomas Harte were the first 2 IRA men executed by firing squad. And Richard Goss and some other fellow called O'Neill, I forget his first name. All shot by Devalera firing squad. No big outcry either. I can name more too. Can you? I bet not. I'll wait. I bet they were not in your history book lol.

Of course. Patrick McGrath and Thomas Harte were the first 2 IRA men executed by firing squad. And Richard Goss and some other fellow called O'Neill, I forget his first name. All shot by Devalera firing squad. No big outcry either. I can name more too. Can you? I bet not. I'll wait. I bet they were not in your history book lol.

You hate Dev equally. What is your freaking point here? Are you totally ignorant of what happened in this country as the British left or what happened in most countries they left?

You are the sickest and saddest Irish person I have ever known. I have no idea where in god or anybody else's name you are coming from. Except belligerent attack dog Unionism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

There’s Leo in tomorrow’s Financial Times.
    The language has become very pointed altogether hasn’t it

EAbYbtZXYAEwGrn?format=jpg

Blessed be the fruit, may the lord open! Don't they all realise they are mere pawns for Gilead (aka John Bolton). Johnson, Foster, Trump, etc. how can they all be so foolish? Used to think Mad Max and The Handmaid's Tale were fiction. Not anymore!! Bolton and his Saudi money can play all proto-nationalists for fools. Mad Boris Beyond Gilead, perhaps?

10-15 years
    Funny enough I’ve far more problems with Dev than Churchill.
    Though fair to say they were on an equal footing when it comes to ruining Ireland. Devs actions lasted a lot longer though. Hobbled us for decades.
    And we still can’t get the church out of the bloody schools

• Advertisement

Funny enough I’ve far more problems with Dev than Churchill.
    Though fair to say they were on an equal footing when it comes to ruining Ireland. Devs actions lasted a lot longer though. Hobbled us for decades.
    And we still can’t get the church out of the bloody schools

I have an overview (fecking simple history and fact allows this) of them all. I don't ignore facts in my appraisal.

The delusional stuff going on here from, extreme Irish Republicans are the only ones who have a negative view of Churchill, to Sean Russell's act was a world changing act of treachery and evil, are utterly fantastical. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement