Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    Quite true.
    They’re also Ignoring the fact that Churchill is poorly regarded by a great many in Britain too. Then and now both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Funny enough I’ve far more problems with Dev than Churchill.

Now that you and Francie have learnt some Republican history. You did not know the names of any of the IRA men executed by Devalera, you asked me to name them. I named 4. It took me to name them for you. Can you name more ( and there are more). Have I to name more for you, after you hounded me to name them?

I am not surprised you have more problems with Dev than Churchill. Churchill saved this country back in WW2 because if the UK fell to Germany, Hitler would have invaded us too, like he did many other neutral countries. And maybe you like what Hitler did to the Jews, homosexuals, gypsies, handicapped, communists etc in those countries, or what happened to slave workers there either.

10-15 years
    janfebmar wrote: »
    Now that you and Francie have learnt some Republican history. You did not know the names of any of the IRA men executed by Devalera, you asked me to name them. I named 4. It took me to name them for you. Can you name more ( and there are more). Have I to name more for you, after you hounded me to name them?

I am not surprised you have more problems with Dev than Churchill. Churchill saved this country back in WW2 because if the UK fell to Germany, Hitler would have invaded us too, like he did many other neutral countries. And maybe you like what Hitler did to the Jews, homosexuals, gypsies, handicapped, communists etc in those countries, or what happened to slave workers there either.

I’m just back from the cinema jan. I don’t have all day to be spending sitting here for your education and entertainment I’m afraid :)

Now be a pet and piss off suggesting anyone here likes Hitler yeah?
    Thanks.

10-15 years
    Is it a full moon or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Now that you and Francie have learnt some Republican history. You did not know the names of any of the IRA men executed by Devalera, you asked me to name them. I named 4.
    It took the queen of google cut and paste 4 hours to name them. :)
    It took me to name them for you. Can you name more ( and there are more). Have I to name more for you, after you hounded me to name them?

Hitler wanted to contain Britain, he never had a serious plan to invade them or us. READ YOUR HISTORY.

• Advertisement

It took the queen of google cut and paste 4 hours to name them. :)

Not cut and pasted. You did not know them at all, not surprising when it is not taught at school or mentioned much.

Hitler wanted to contain Britain, he never had a serious plan to invade them or us. READ YOUR HISTORY.
    Says the man who did not know you own Republican history. Even Stop Moaning FFS did not know the names of any of the executed IRA men, he asked me to name them. I told him I would give him time, I gave him time.

Not cut and pasted. You did not know them at all, not surprising when it is not taught at school or mentioned much.

Says the man who did not know you own Republican history. Even Stop Moaning FFS did not know the names of any of the executed IRA men, he asked me to name them. I told him I would give him time, I gave him time.

I don't know the names of all the children the British Army killed in Ireland. Does that make me a bad republican?

And I was never asked for the names of those executed by the Notorious Dev.

And I was never asked for the names of those executed by the Notorious Dev.

Oh, he is "Notorious Dev" now, with a capital N, now that you learnt he executed six IRA men in Irish prison, by firing squad. Must be quite a shock to you. You used to have a lot more time for Dev. , because as you said yourself he was the "enemy of the enemy"

Oh, he is "Notorious Dev" now, with a capital N, now that you learnt he executed six IRA men in Irish prison, by firing squad. Must be quite a shock to you. You used to have a lot more time for Dev. , because as you said yourself he was the "enemy of the enemy"

No janfebmar, you are the one who witters on about Dev on this site...famously.

I have a balanced opinion of Dev, reviewing all the facts. He did some good and some bad.

No janfebmar, you are the one who witters on about Dev on this site...famously.

I have a balanced opinion of Dev, reviewing all the facts. He did some good and some bad.

I suppose you will say executing the 6 IRA men was the bad? Or what was some bad?

• Advertisement

I suppose you will say executing the 6 IRA men was the bad? Or what was some bad?

I think the way Irish people handled the mess British colonialism left them in was the best they could do, tragic but inevitable.
    I don't hold anything against the men and women of that time actually, they established an independent state I am proud of and want the rest of the Irish people to enjoy, rail against, argue with etc etc in the full knowledge they are masters/mistresses of their own destiny.

I think the way Irish people handled the mess British colonialism left them in was the best they could do, tragic but inevitable.

More whataboutery. You did not not know that Develera executed by firing squad in prison IRA men during the war / emergency, but you are blaming " British colonialism" anyway, even though the British left those prisons a few decades earlier!

10-15 years
    More whataboutery. You did not not know that Develera executed by firing squad in prison IRA men during the war / emergency, but you are blaming " British colonialism" anyway, even though the British left those prisons a few decades earlier!

From the master of deflection and whataboutery themselves that’s a compliment Francie:)

From the master of deflection and whataboutery themselves that’s a compliment Francie:)

You asked me to name them (the IRA men Develera executed) as you had not even heard of them. I named 4 of them? Can you name more? I bet not as they are not taught in the Irish school system or even mentioned. Learn your history, lad. It is a fascinating subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

10-15 years
    You asked me to name them (the IRA men Develera executed) as you had not even heard of them. I named 4 of them? Can you name more? I bet not as they are not taught in the Irish school system or even mentioned. Learn your history, lad. It is a fascinating subject.

This from someone who until yesterday was unaware ireland got help from germany in 1916 :D

I love internet logic :D

10-15 years

Did you not attend school in Ireland? You said very clearly earlier a catholic teacher hit you. So you didn’t?
    You’ve no idea where anyone schooled and you d less of an idea of Irish history than pretty much anyone here as your posting history clearly shows so less of the patronising there pet.

I WASN'T involved in that conversation and was not ASKED for the names.

You are desperate now janfebmar, as is usual.

10-15 years
    With Leo’s comments yesterday I’d say a few of our pals here are gonna avoid this thread for a day or two in order to pretend it never happened.
    Shame.
    Be interested to hear their thoughts on it.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    With Leo’s comments yesterday I’d say a few of our pals here are gonna avoid this thread for a day or two in order to pretend it never happened.
    Shame.
    Be interested to hear their thoughts on it.

NOONE IS TALKING ABOUT IT ONLY SHINNERS :pac:

10-15 years
    _blaaz wrote: »

That was a doozy haha

Looks around for Blanch or hugger

Tumbleweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

15-20 years
    To those 31% saying it will never happen, a United Ireland is inevitable.

The demographics will change, the proportion of Unionists will decrease.

Arlene slagged off the Irish language by claiming Polish was the 2nd language of N.Ireland. Those Poles are raging Catholics and not at all Unionists.

More Nationalists MEPs were elected at last Stormont election than Unionist.

As I said, inevitable. But not soon.

Did you not attend school in Ireland? You said very clearly earlier a catholic teacher hit you. So you didn’t?
    You’ve no idea where anyone schooled and you d less of an idea of Irish history than pretty much anyone here as your posting history clearly shows so less of the patronising there pet.

It is such arrogant nonsense from this poster. The good, the bad and the downright ugly is taught about our quest for independence and after in schools. I have children going through secondary education right now. They do very worthwhile work in trying to understand what happened in the recent cycle of violence caused by partition too.

In Germany the harsh truth about what they did is taught in vivid technicolour lest it happen again, a friend told me his school were taken to Auschwitz and given a tour that the tourists don't get.

In Britain, it takes people like Shashi Tharoor to tell Britons what their Empire did.
    A poll in Britain in 2014 found that 59% of Britons were proud of the Empire and believed countries were better off for being colonised. :rolleyes:

10-15 years
    Matter of fact that no Brits are ever taught in school about any of it.
    They know they once had an empire. Theyre in no way taught about the reality of that or what happened to bring it about or why it all fell apart lead by us leaving first

That’s the source of your anti Irish posters rancour you see right there.

_blaaz wrote: »

Like Churchill, Gerry Adams did many good and bad things, but I think he had one of the most astute political brains we ever produced.

Stepping the party back and allowing the FG government (they were initially against Special Status for NI) to take the lead and have northern nationalists (and those who didn't want to leave the EU look to Dublin for support and as we progress, protection was a masterstroke IMO.

FG now talking about a UI, is the result.

10-15 years
    Like Churchill, Gerry Adams did many good and bad things, but I think he had one of the most astute political brains we ever produced.

Stepping the party back and allowing the FG government (they were initially against Special Status for NI) to take the lead and have northern nationalists (and those who didn't want to leave the EU look to Dublin for support and as we progress, protection was a masterstroke IMO.

FG now talking about a UI, is the result.

I dont care whos leading it (certain irony for SF if FG were to deliver it though :pac: )

But i dislike the gaslighting and efforts by posters to get me to deny what i see and hear in everyday life

Claiming noones talking about it,is pure head in sand stuff....was in barbers this morning and the prospect of border poll (and scottish indy) is openly being discussed as regards brexit

10-15 years
    Im sure our friends will reappear in sequence to derail this into something irrelevant.

But Leo’s comments have lit the touch paper in a real way and oh boy are the British responding.

He stated they obvious. Brexit will destabilise the British Union. And may lead to a United ireland and independence for Scotland.

They’re both inevitable anyone with two eyes can see it coming.

It’s useless to deny it coming at this stage

10-15 years
    Here’s what I do know and have had heard.

Ff are almost guaranteed to win the next GE given FGs endless screw ups.

FF also commissioned a paper on their proposals for a UI and Martin was vocal about it then it disappeared. It actually is finished and when they get in it will soon be announced after. So you’ll see citizens assemblies etc composed to confirm the go ahead for the ref

Ff as we all know are far more dedicated to a UI than FG ever were. And Leo’s remarks how clearly show he’s trying to take the lead and get out in front so he can say he always supported it. And let’s be honest. What Taoiseach no matter who it is wouldn’t be fvkin delighted with themselves getting to oversee Ireland reunified? Anyone would be.

Lotta work to do but we do referendums and the fine details of them and explaining them to the public better than amyone.

But it’s coming and you’d be foolish to say it isn’t. Head in the sand folks especially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    If a referendum is coming it'll be the first time I'll be seriously active in proposing voting against a UI.
    I know my Irish history too. I see people talking about the British empire. How about murdering kids off the coast of Sligo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement