Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

10-15 years

In Germany the harsh truth about what they did is taught in vivid technicolour lest it happen again, a friend told me his school were taken to Auschwitz and given a tour that the tourists don't get

Completly off topic...but whats in that tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

_blaaz wrote: »
    Completly off topic...but whats in that tour?

According to my friend it is much more graphic and much longer. They also get challenged on their views on it. No holds barred.

eagle eye wrote: »
    If a referendum is coming it'll be the first time I'll be seriously active in proposing voting against a UI.
    I know my Irish history too. I see people talking about the British empire. How about murdering kids off the coast of Sligo.

If you find murdering kids off the coast of Sligo rightfully wrong and abhorrent what will be your 'proposal' for voting against a UI?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    If you find murdering kids off the coast of Sligo rightfully wrong and abhorrent what will be your 'proposal' for voting against a UI?
    The threat of the troubles starting again is the primary reason. The fact that a lot of people in NI do not want a UI. Economic reasons too.

The threat of the troubles starting again is the primary reason. The fact that a lot of people in NI do not want a UI. Economic reasons too.

157 people have died just as profoundly as those children in Sligo. The 'troubles' have never ended.

Nobody is proposing a UI if the people of northern Ireland 'don't want it'.

• Advertisement

10-15 years

Would you not be concerned nationlists in your area could kick off civil war down here if voted down?

Is there more nationlists in your area,or ulster unionists?

10-15 years
    According to my friend it is much more graphic and much longer. They also get challenged on their views on it. No holds barred.

Alot to be said about having similar for.troubles here and bringing both sides to challenge their view

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years

There will be no troubles in a UI.
    loyalists can barely organise a bonfire these days.
    They have no money no backing no training.
    Ira and any version of it are literally living in their dream. Ireland united.

So where these imaginary troubles coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

If you are going to be actively campaigning against, you will need to be a bit more thorough in your rationale or you will come across as a DUP representative

Alot to be said about having similar for.troubles here and bringing both sides to challenge their view

This does happen, for instance in events like the film project one I mentioned above.

The difficulty arises when you have bitter partitionists and other loud voices pointing the finger of blame at one side only and not adopting the attitude that it was all wrong and apportioning responsibilities from there.

The only way you stop it happening again is to identify why it happened in the first place.

• Advertisement

Nobody is proposing a UI if the people of northern Ireland 'don't want it'.
    Yeah, you are proposing it if a majority want it. That's not good enough imo. I think you'd want a huge majority to want it like over 85% minimum for it to be fair.

10-15 years
    Yeah, you are proposing it if a majority want it. That's not good enough imo. I think you'd want a huge majority to want it like over 85% minimum for it to be fair.

It just needs to be 50+1 in both Ireland and NI.

10-15 years

That deosnt make any semse.....sure we could just not bothered with gay marraige or abortion,going by your criteria for a referendum result??

'Fair' to some or 'fair' to all?

Maybe you should have thought this through and campaigned against the GFA, which you now propose doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

20-30 years

That's not democracy

_blaaz wrote:
    Would you not be concerned nationlists in your area could kick off civil war down here if voted down?
    No luck don't think nationalists will kick off down here.
    _blaaz wrote:
    Is there more nationlists in your area,or ulster unionists?
    I don't know any unionists, I don't think there are any in my town.

10-15 years
    The clip that’s going to go viral globally is the union flag being taken down over stormont for the last time and the tricolour or whatever replaces It being hoisted.

That’ll be something special

That's not democracy

The lunacy of this 'proposal' is that for some Irish politician to represent it, they have to take an anti GFA position. Going to happen? - not a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

There will be no troubles in a UI.
    loyalists can barely organise a bonfire these days.

Funny that you should mention bonfire building. Some of the bonfires there a few weeks ago were much bigger and better built that the photos seen of the last anti-internment bonfires in Derry. Yet we can see what a few dissidents can do in Derry unfortunately. If the size of the 12th bonfires is anything to go by, there are a lot of people who do not want a u.i.

10-15 years

Tbh i wouldnt bet againest it,and if there is to be trouble,would rather be againest unionists than nationlists

I know a few,and while they wouldnt vote for it,they wouldnt vote againest reunification either.....kinda like my folks and abortion(they spoiled their vote)

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    janfebmar wrote: »
    Funny that you should mention bonfire building. Some of the bonfires there a few weeks ago were much bigger and better built that the photos seen of the last anti-internment bonfires in Derry. Yet we can see what a few dissidents can do in Derry unfortunately. If the size of the 12th bonfires is anything to go by, there are a lot of people who do not want a u.i.

And the ones building them rioted and fought the PSNI and used women and children as shields to protect the bonfires.

Ps. I can make a huge big sandcastle in a beach. It won’t affect the size of the ice cream I buy after.

You utter clown haha

10-15 years
    If the size of the 12th bonfires is anything to go by, there are a lot of people who do not want a u.i.

:D

This is just beautiful,ignores polling data,demographics and any accurate metric and chooses bonfire pics to accurately measure appitide for a utd ireland :pac:

I refuse to believe your serious.anymore tbh :D:D actually beyond parody

10-15 years

This is just beautiful,ignores polling data,demographics and any accurate metric and chooses bonfire pics to accurately measure appitide for a utd ireland :pac:

100% agree.

It’s not even a genuine unionist. It’s not been educated in Ireland but it has.
    It knows irish history but it doesn’t.

The poster hasn’t a clue and it’s obvious to all.

If the GFA is broken, all those who signed up to it in the IRA will become dissidents, make no mistake about that.

The incredible work Adams and McGuinness did that delivered their (the IRA) commitment to building the peace will all be for nothing.

That isn't a threat, but a reading of the factual history of where we are today.

10-15 years
    GFA is going nowhere. Let’s all calm down in that one.
    GE in Britain Comin and Boris will dump the DUP as no longer needing them then border in the sea and on we go to a UI

And the ones building them rioted and fought the PSNI and used women and children as shields to protect the bonfires.

Ps.

So can you imagine what they would do against the guards in the event of a U.I.?

10-15 years
    So can you imagine what they would do against the guards in the event of a U.I.?

Not much.

You seemed to have ignored Leo’s comments about United ireland

Have you anything to say on that?

I mentioned bonfires as a poster suggested the loyalists could barely build bonfires anymore. Ever see a picture of bonfire over 100 feet high?

And funny you should mention polling data. At the last general election in n Ireland, I seem to remember Republicans winning 7 seats, while Unionists won 11 seats.

10-15 years
    I mentioned bonfires as a poster suggested the loyalists could barely build bonfires anymore. Ever see a picture of bonfire over 100 feet high?

And funny you should mention polling data. At the last general election in n Ireland, I seem to remember Republicans winning 7 seats, while Unionists won 11 seats.

Ehhh there are no unionist candidates running in Ireland.

Where the fvck are you actually??? In space on a rock all alone by the looks

• Advertisement

Not much.

You seemed to have ignored Leo’s comments about United ireland

Have you anything to say on that?

He is a politician, what do you expect him to say? Maybe you expect him to investigate his own party member for the fraudulent swing claim instead?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement