Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

10-15 years
    janfebmar wrote: »
    I mentioned bonfires as a poster suggested the loyalists could barely build bonfires anymore. Ever see a picture of bonfire over 100 feet high?

And funny you should mention polling data. At the last general election in n Ireland, I seem to remember Republicans winning 7 seats, while Unionists won 11 seats.

Ehhh there are no unionist candidates running in Ireland.

Where the fvck are you actually??? In space on a rock all alone by the looks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Ehhh there are no unionist candidates running in Ireland.

Where the fvck are you actually??? In space on a rock all alone by the looks

I said in n Ireland, the n meaning Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And funny you should mention polling data. At the last general election in n Ireland, I seem to remember Republicans winning 7 seats, while Unionists won 11 seats.

Again, your lack of knowledge is startling.

The representation in the British parliament means nothing if there is a vote in favour of a UI.
    Parliament has already voted on what happens if a Border Poll succeeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

_blaaz wrote: »
    Tbh i wouldnt bet againest it,and if there is to be trouble,would rather be againest unionists than nationlists

I know a few,and while they wouldnt vote for it,they wouldnt vote againest reunification either.....kinda like my folks and abortion(they spoiled their vote)

If they spoiled their vote they voted for repeal

Again, your lack of knowledge is ...

Again, you are incorrect Francie. Another poster was writing about polling data, demographics etc. I pointed out the results of the last general election, where unionists won 11 out of 18 seats.

Do try harder, you can do much better.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    Again, you are incorrect Francie. Another poster was writing about polling data, demographics etc. I pointed out the results of the last general election, where unionists won 11 out of 18 seats.

It wasn’t a general election. It was a European election
    The polls taken were exit polls after the European election.

Mods. Please

And it counts for nothing in the event of a successful UI vote.

The correct representation data in that instance is the Assembly elections and Unionism no longer has a majority there.

Pay attention me dear!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,582 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ulster Says No. It will never happen
    If the GFA is broken, all those who signed up to it in the IRA will become dissidents, make no mistake about that.
    The GFA doesn't have to be broken. Let NI break away from the UK and be its own country. No need to merge it with the republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

10-15 years
    eagle eye wrote: »
    The GFA doesn't have to be broken. Let NI break away from the UK and be its own country. No need to merge it with the republic.

This isnt an option in the GFA

Its only 32 pages ffs read it

And it counts for nothing in the event of a successful UI vote.

Of course it counts for nothing if there is a border poll and if a majority votes in favour of a United Ireland. Nobody suggested otherwise. Like Brexit though, a vote could give rise to many problems, so this time I would expect many of the electorate to seek a road map and explanation of costs involved before voting.

• Advertisement

_blaaz wrote:
    Make up a new replacement agreement then.

10-15 years

Your welcome to campaign to tear the gfa with a new treaty (bare in mind it took 30 years of war to bring about the gfa mind)

Would you not be concerned that the people you politically align most with are saoradh and the DUP though??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    _blaaz wrote:
    That would be a possibility-but the thought of NI striking out on it's own probably wouldn't suit the extremist republicans.

10-15 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »
    That would be a possibility-but the thought of NI striking out on it's own probably wouldn't suit the extremist republicans.

Tbf that was tried 1922 to 1969 and resulted in civil war....i havnt seen anything from.the dup to suggest it would be any different second time around??

Have you seen their rethoric as regards irish language and culture?

10-15 years

That’s not an option. And never will be.

You should know this though.

10-15 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »

You should know is not an option. You live here in Donegal I thought?
    Again with the extremist republicans?

No actual clue what’s going on or what the history is.

It’s really similar nonsense to numerous other accounts.
    Can’t imagine why

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Mods. Please
    It’s really similar nonsense to numerous other accounts.
    Can’t imagine why

For the final time, use Report Post. Do not comment in thread. Next time I see this, it's a straight card.

dudara

_blaaz wrote:
    Would you not be concerned that the people you politically align most with are saoradh and the DUP though??

I'm not aligned with anybody.
    I was brought up to sympathise with SF and the Republican movement but when I got old enough to understand some of the horrendous things they had done, like killing children off the coast of Sligo which I referenced earlier, I decided I could not support them. I don't support unionists either.
    I'm an independent thinker and knowing all that I do about the past I'm afraid of troubles in the Republic if we go for a UI. I'm sure we'll hear about the UVF if we try.
    As a result I'm against a UI.
    I'll campaign against it too and I'll tell everybody about the risk of troubles and the economic disaster we are facing if we end up with a UI.

Because the existing one doesn't suit you now after you voted for it?

I'm not aligned with anybody.
    I was brought up to sympathise with SF and the Republican movement but when I got old enough to understand some of the horrendous things they had done, like killing children off the coast of Sligo which I referenced earlier, I decided I could not support them. I don't support unionists either.
    I'm an independent thinker and knowing all that I do about the past I'm afraid of troubles in the Republic if we go for a UI. I'm sure we'll hear about the UVF if we try.
    As a result I'm against a UI.
    I'll campaign against it too and I'll tell everybody about the risk of troubles and the economic disaster we are facing if we end up with a UI.

157 people have died since the GFA.

And the reasons FG are now talking about a UI is because of the economic devastation Brexit threatens to cause to both NI and Ireland and what a hard border would do to the peace. Independently think about that?

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    I'm not aligned with anybody

Tbf politically yourself,saoradh and the dup are aligned in wamting.to tear up.the gfa

Admitedely for different ends...but aligned nonetheless

_blaaz wrote:
    Tbf politically yourself,saoradh and the dup are aligned in wamting.to tear up.the gfa
    No, I'm saying put a new agreement in place which allows an independent Northern Ireland.

10-15 years
    No, I'm saying put a new agreement in place which allows an independent Northern Ireland.

By wanting to tear up the gfa (this is what will be requires for your plan).....you find yourself in bed politically with saoradh and the DUP

_blaaz wrote:
    By wanting to tear up the gfa (this is what will be requires for your plan).....you find yourself in bed politically with saoradh and the DUP
    I don't want to year it up. Just add a line into it allowing for an independent NI.

10-15 years
    I don't want to year it up. Just add a line into it allowing for an independent NI.

Essentially same thing mate....if yous open it atal

The whole thing is up for renegociation....its a treaty not constitution....if it is opened... i think we should reinstall a territorial claim on the north....just for lolz mainly

157 people have died since the GFA.

And with the exception of the Omagh bomb and the very odd attack on security forces by dissidents, most of the deaths were as a result of internal feuding etc.
    You get internal feuding in the Hutch-Kinihan feud too.

_blaaz wrote:
    The whole thing is up for renegociation....its a treaty not constitution....if it is opened... i think we should reinstall a territorial claim on the north....just for lolz mainly
    Essentially same thing mate....if yous open it atal
    Who is we?
    It's just about adding a line which I'm sure most would be in favour of.

10-15 years
    Who is we?
    It's just about adding a line which I'm sure most would be in favour of.

The irish state

If we have a referendum (which will be requires btw),i say we hold two at same time....one to insert your line seeking north to be its own country

And another to insert line reasserting territorial claim to.the north.....if any of gfa is up for renegociation...it all is

janfebmar wrote:
    You get internal feuding in the Hutch-Kinihan feud too.
    This is low and it's undeserved. Disgraceful comment, you should be ashamed of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭trashcan

_blaaz wrote: »

it

Or in the real world to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement