Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,215 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well, as a real taxpayer Francie, perhaps you can supply us with the figure it's costing us?

No bluff, no bluster - just give us a figure for the last 20 years say - round it to the nearest €100k .

I'll make a wager right now - you aren't able to do this.

You're spoofing again and have been caught.

Come on Francie - prove me wrong - give us the figure.

No I can't. Nor can I be bothered. But I will wager that maintaining a border (the 87 Gardai that were in my town, on overtime and permanent checkpoints for instance) the soldiers on permanent patrol, all the extra security costs, repairing the damage done by various bombs in the south, not to mention all the state agencies working on various problems created along the border wasn't for freaking free.

Cop on a bit Facehugger. It's plainly evident you are just here to rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

No I can't. Nor can I be bothered. .

Knew it. :D

Caught spoofing again.

No clue on actual figures, just populist nonsense and Shinnernomic waffle.

It's costing us "a lot of money" apparently but you haven't a clue how much - how do you know it's "a lot" I wonder?

Some spoof about Garda overtime in the 1980's? - arf!

Knew it. :D

Caught spoofing again.

No clue on actual figures, just populist nonsense and Shinnernomic waffle.

It's costing us "a lot of money" apparently but you haven't a clue how much - how do you know it's "a lot" I wonder?

Some spoof about Garda overtime in the 1980's? - arf!

So you think the border was free then?

Very good, once again you reveal what we are dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No I can't. Nor can I be bothered. But I will wager that maintaining a border (the 87 Gardai that were in my town, on overtime and permanent checkpoints for instance) the soldiers on permanent patrol, all the extra security costs, repairing the damage done by various bombs in the south, not to mention all the state agencies working on various problems created along the border wasn't for freaking free.

Cop on a bit Facehugger. It's plainly evident you are just here to rant.

About €12m a year all in I would guess. Even with overtime, a Garda doesn’t earn much more than 60k, and a few million for the rest. Doesn’t eat very far into the billions needed.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I haven't had a read through beyond beyond cursory glance, certainly not enough to assess sources, but the term you'd be looking for, based on your description would be a meta study Blanch?

The connotations you place on a meta study sell your bias. Meta analysis is a very useful tool in research.

It might be mata but I wouldn’t call it an analysis.

• Advertisement

And a NI standing on it's own two feet contributing to the state?

There we go again with the fantasy bits of the United Ireland dream.

blanch152 wrote: »
    There we go again with the fantasy bits of the United Ireland dream.

You think it can't?

About €12m a year all in I would guess. Even with overtime, a Garda doesn’t earn much more than 60k, and a few million for the rest. Doesn’t eat very far into the billions needed.

I would think that is way way on the conservative side. But even so, the North has cost the Irish taxpayer money. Add to that what was spent on the army being here permanently in barracks that don't exist anymore.

And add all the other security costs and you have a large figure. Nobody ever suggested it as a counterweight to the Subvention.

Facehugger seems to be under the delusion that it hasn't cost the Irish taxpayer up to this point. It has and more than economically.

So you think the border was free then?

Very good, once again you reveal what we are dealing with.

Trying to put words in my mouth in a desperate attempt to move the goalposts now Francie?

Maybe you could quote the post where I said it was free.

This is what you said
    As any real taxpayer knows NI has cost them a lot of money over the year's, as it is.

You've just admitted that you haven't a clue what you're talking about and are trying to wriggle.

A bit of Garda overtime was the best you could come up with :D:D:D

Trying to put words in my mouth in a desperate attempt to move the goalposts now Francie?

Maybe you could quote the post where I said it was free.

This is what you said

You've just admitted that you haven't a clue what you're talking about and are trying to wriggle.

A bit of Garda overtime was the best you could come up with :D:D:D

Except that is not quite all that I said.

Even the Gardai alone, at a figure of 12m a year is a 'cost' to the taxpayer here FH.

WHICH IS WHAT I SAID. It cost the taxpayer money. And you rejected that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I haven't had a read through beyond beyond cursory glance, certainly not enough to assess sources, but the term you'd be looking for, based on your description would be a meta study Blanch?

The connotations you place on a meta study sell your bias. Meta analysis is a very useful tool in research.

It might be mata but I wouldn’t call it an analysis.

You may not agree with the conclusions, but an analysis it certainly is.

WHICH IS WHAT I SAID. It cost the taxpayer money. And you rejected that.

Except that wasn't what you said.

Anyway keep on spoofing Francie - i'm off to enjoy the BH. I'll be back Tuesday to hand you your arse again......

Except that wasn't what you said.

Anyway keep on spoofing Francie - i'm off to enjoy the BH. I'll be back Tuesday to hand you your arse again......

As I said 'deluded'.

Here is what I said.
    Nor can I be bothered. But I will wager that maintaining a border (the 87 Gardai that were in my town, on overtime and permanent checkpoints for instance) the soldiers on permanent patrol, all the extra security costs, repairing the damage done by various bombs in the south, not to mention all the state agencies working on various problems created along the border wasn't for freaking free.

If 12m a year extra for the Gardai on their own, isn't 'a lot' of money then I think we know who is 'spoofing' around here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    There is more chance of Leo going out with Mary Lou and marrying her than Leo genuinely pushing for a United Ireland:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

If 12m a year extra for the Gardai on their own, isn't 'a lot' of money then I think we know who is 'spoofing' around here.

In terms of annual government expenditure, 12 million a year is nothing. Especially when it is kept circulating in the economy and the government gets a lot of it back in tax. The government spends a lot more on foreign aid to the third world, just to put it in context.

Francie is moaning about the cost of the border during the troubles. The failed armed struggle campaign cost N Ireland a lot more, as it was designed to. Do not forget also that the Republic had a tourism industry during the troubles: the north did not.

janfebmar wrote: »
    I terms of annual government expenditure, 12 million a year is nothing. Especially when it is kept circulating in the economy and the government gets a lot of it back in tax. The governments spends a lot more on foreign aid to the third world, just to put it in context.
    Francie is moaning about the cost of the border during the troubles. The failed armed struggle campaign cost N Ireland a lot more, as it was designed to. Do not forget also that the Republic had a tourism industry during the troubles: the north did not.

What nonsense are you talking now?

I said the north cost us a lot of money, and it did. 12 million is a conservative estimate for what was spent on the Gardai alone.

The taxpayer paid for it. To listen to the similar nonsense from Facehugger you would think it didn't cost the south a cent.

And it is about to cost us again because of a stupid and wrong partition of the island.

What nonsense are you talking now?

I said the north cost us a lot of money, and it did. 12 million is a conservative estimate for what was spent on the Gardai alone.

The taxpayer paid for it. To listen to the similar nonsense from Facehugger you would think it didn't cost the south a cent.

And it is about to cost us again because of a stupid and wrong partition of the island.

12 million is nothing. The new childrens hospital is costing us 2000 million, is it not? Other countries can build the same size hospital for half that, so you could say partition is costing the taxpayer 1000 million extra for that hospital alone., which is planned to be the mist expensive hospital per bed in the world by far.

12 million is nothing. The new childrens hospital is costing us 2000 million, is it not?

12 million is 12 freaking million.

I SAID the north cost us...if you agree the Gardai cost 12 million a year then you agree there was a cost.

Anything else?

12 million is 12 freaking million.

I SAID the north cost us...if you agree the Gardai cost 12 million a year then you agree there was a cost.

Anything else?

If the troubles cost us 12 million in extra Gardai, how much did we benefit by all the tourists who wanted to come to Ireland coming south of the border ( instead of all over the island) and benefiting our economy?

If the troubles cost us 12 million in extra Gardai, how much did we benefit by all the tourists who wanted to come to Ireland coming south of the border ( instead of all over the island) and benefiting our economy?

I'm sure there were plenty worrying about mullah from the tourists during the conflict/war. Maybe ask them or maybe this is something you want to get off your chest, the money you lost from tourism?

Otherwise I have no idea what you are on about.

• Advertisement

I'm sure there were plenty worrying about mullah from the tourists during the conflict/war. Maybe ask them or maybe this is something you want to get off your chest, the money you lost from tourism?

Otherwise I have no idea what you are on about.

You were cribbing about the cost of Garda overtime during the troubles but like your financial projections (or lack of !) for a United Ireland, you have not a clue.

You were cribbing about the cost of Garda overtime during the troubles but like your financial projections (or lack of !) for a United Ireland, you have not a clue.

I wasn't 'cribbing' about anything, I was replying to a poster who was under the impression the north cost us nothing and would only do so if we had a UI.

Twas you who jumped in in your size nines.

I wasn't 'cribbing' about anything, I was replying to a poster who was under the impression the north cost us nothing and would only do so if we had a UI.

You totally ignore the relative size of 12 million in terms of government expenditure, and conveniently forget how our economy benefited during the troubles in some ways, at the expense of the Northern economy.

You totally ignore the relative size of 12 million in terms of government expenditure, and conveniently forget how our economy benefited during the troubles in some ways, at the expense of the Northern economy.

Ah, the conflict boosted your tourist business, is that what you want to gloat about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

20-30 years

The war in the six made Ireland a world story for the wrong reason. It meant that people thought the war was on the whole island and thus avoid the country. It had a huge negative affect on our tourism and all aspects of life. I think it may have been more expensive for the south that the UK per capita.
    The sooner that sectarian six county hell hole is confined to the dust bin the better for all the people of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

10-15 years
    so you could say partition is costing the taxpayer 1000 million extra for that hospital alone., which is planned to be the mist expensive hospital per bed in the world by far.

How is the childrens hospiteal the fault of partition....your not making any sense

Thats all FGs baby

Ah, the conflict boosted your tourist business, is that what you want to gloat about?

No, it meant that any tourists that wanted to come to Ireland stayed well away from northern Ireland. We had a tourism industry/ at least some revenue from tourism during the troubles, unlike northern Ireland.

No, it meant that any tourists that wanted to come to Ireland stayed well away from northern Ireland. We had a tourism industry/ at least some revenue from tourism during the troubles, unlike northern Ireland.

No ****! Well who would have known that? Thank you teacher Jan. :rolleyes:

_blaaz wrote: »
    How is the childrens hospiteal the fault of partition....your not making any sense

Frankie was whinging about how partition was costing the Irish taxpayer, and we had ( according to his mystery calculation) to pat €12 million a year extra for Gardai as a result of partition. Well , if there was no partition in these islands, we would not be paying 2 billion for a new childrens hospital, the most expensive per bed by far in the world.

• Advertisement

we had ( according to his mystery calculation) to pat €12 million a year extra for Gardai as a result of partition.

The 'mystery calculation' was blanch152's actually janfebmar. Do try and read the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement