Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,217 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

_blaaz wrote: »
    :pac:

Chicken and egg sceanrio here.....and what was terrorist campaign,futile as it was, for??

Doesn't know that a border had to be maintained since partition? I think you might be on to something about where Facehugger is from. Either that or he is completely at sea on this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

To answer the OP , reunification will NEVER happen.
    Will people in the North vote to be significantly worse off by rejoining the republic , i doubt it. No free prescriptions, free gp visits ?Though the health service is probably as bad if not worse than here. You pay your rates , about £600 pa. and for that you get water , bins collected.
    no school books to be paid for though they do look for donations,. cheaper cars & car insurance . In other words a state that didn't shove all its responsibilities for families onto the private sector like Berties FF did in government .
    They can still get their Irish passworts , spin down the M1to work for the higher southern wages while having lower Northern outgoings. The whole nationalistic that isn't so prominent how with peace on the island. It will never happen unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

jm08 wrote: »
    The UN pays for the Irish Defence Forces when on UN duty. Without that as an earner, we probably wouldn't have any Defence Forces.

Unfortunately due to the threat from those who saw themselves as the real Irish army, the state always needed an army.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

It’s a pity the poll wasn’t written in a neutral way. The attempt to push people away from voting ‘won’t ever happen’ by inserting the Ulster says know line obviously hasn’t worked, but a clear attempt and no doubt the vote for this would have been even higher if the loyalist slogan hadn’t been attached to it.

Interesting result though on a very nationalist forum

downcow wrote: »
    It’s a pity the poll wasn’t written in a neutral way. The attempt to push people away from voting ‘won’t ever happen’ by inserting the Ulster says know line obviously hasn’t worked, but a clear attempt and no doubt the vote for this would have been even higher if the loyalist slogan hadn’t been attached to it.

Interesting result though on a very nationalist forum

Good point Downcow, and many people may not have even noticed the poll question was not phrased in a neutral way.

What does a United Ireland mean anyway. If there was 32 county Ireland, it could be anything but unified, if for example the Gardai killed a few loyalist rioters and the whole thing unfortunately kicked off again.

• Advertisement

There is a poll? :D

There is a poll? :D

It was at the beginning of the thread, Francie, and the reason for this thread. You may have forgotten about it, just as you have conveniently forgotten many facts from history.

janfebmar wrote: »
    It was at the beginning of the thread, Francie, and the reason for this thread. You may have forgotten about it, just as you have conveniently forgotten many facts from history.

Kinda gives the lie to the idea that the 'poll' is representative. I see you there proudly in the 'Ireland Says No' camp anyhow...well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

10-15 years
    cjmc wrote: »
    Will people in the North vote to be significantly worse off by rejoining the republic , i doubt it. No free prescriptions, free gp visits ?Though the health service is probably as bad if not worse than here. You pay your rates , about £600 pa. and for that you get water , bins collected.
    no school books to be paid for though they do look for donations,. cheaper cars & car insurance . In other words a state that didn't shove all its responsibilities for families onto the private sector like Berties FF did in government .
    They can still get their Irish passworts , spin down the M1to work for the higher southern wages while having lower Northern outgoings. The whole nationalistic that isn't so prominent how with peace on the island. It will never happen unfortunately.

I agree with most of the above, but the wheels are already in motion. In about 10 years when Facebook and twitter or what ever constitutes social media will have brainwashed the youth that this will all be a great idea.

Kinda gives the lie to the idea that the 'poll' is representative. I see you there proudly in the 'Ireland Says No' camp anyhow...well done.

Nobody ever claimed the poll was representative, Francie. As downcow says this forum is quite nationalist. You being a professional poster and the most prolific poster on these threads probably already know that?

As regards a "No" camp, I would look on it a bit more positively than that. The island of Ireland says yes to peace and relative prosperity.

• Advertisement

Nobody ever claimed the poll was representative, Francie. As downcow says this forum is quite nationalist. You being a professional poster probably already know that?

As regards a "No" camp, I would look on it a bit more positively than that. The island of Ireland says yes to peace and relative prosperity.

Another poster with a curious inability to 'do the math'.

My timeframe for a UI (before Brexit) was in the next 20-30 years. If you add up the figures of people who expect it within that timeframe you'll find that the Naysayers are outvoted, stretch that out to 40 years and the Naysayers lose heavily.

And as a republican, arriving onto this forum would be similar to arriving into certain estates around Portadown, There are far more anti-republican threads here than pro, so for me the poll is very heartening and indicates once again, that no political party has a monopoly on a UI agenda. FG, FF, The Greens, Labour, SF can all happily talk about it/promote it within their own manifestos.

Sorry, rates are £1000 +.

And as a republican, arriving onto this forum would be similar to arriving ....

You are not just a Republican Francie, you are a Republican who condoned the pIRA. Most people here in this state had no time for the pIRA during the troubles, it was not until the 90' s that SF got a TD elected in this state.

And your credibility is analysing matters has taken a serious beating in recent times. Even 5 posts before you posted the above, you did not know there was a poll on this thread ( post no. 2347), yet you are the most prolific poster on this and other similar threads.

You are not just a Republican Francie, you are a Republican who condoned the pIRA. Most people here in this state had no time for the pIRA during the troubles, it was not until the 90' s that SF got a TD elected in this state.

When beaten in your argument you revert to lies. Thanks for brilliantly illuminating the fact that you can neither count or lie straight in a bed.

When beaten in your argument you revert to lies. Thanks for brilliantly illuminating the fact that you can neither count or lie straight in a bed.

2352 minus 2347 =5.
    And you do not know how I lie in bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

20-30 years
    The six county experiment is over. It has been a disaster from start to finish, a carnival of reaction that has led up to the only outcome possible a UI when the numbers dictate. The Unionist had their opportunity but they blew it, they could have made it a warm house for Nationalist this would have insured them a permanent voting majority if they had treated the Catholics in a humane fashion. Unfortunately their bigotry just got in the way and they just cant help rubbing it in, so now they have forced Catholics out of the union and into a UI.

Apart from the six being a bigoted statelet it is also an economic wasteland, the Unionist along with their UK masters seem be lacking in work ethic and the management skills. They have run the place into the ground, it used to be the economic powerhouse of the island but without the steadying influence and canny decisiveness of their 26 county brothers they have let the place become a stagnant backwater. It will take years for the work hungry Irish to turn the place around after the mess the Unionists and British have left the place in.

When will Unionist ever take responsibility for the disaster that they foisted on the long suffering natives. Its time they apologized and moved into the new dawn of a UI.

And your credibility is analysing matters has taken a serious beating in recent times. Even 5 posts before you posted the above, you did not know there was a poll on this thread ( post no. 2347), yet you are the most prolific poster on this and other similar threads.
    Was Kieran Doherty Sinn Fein or independent? He was elected in 81 to the dail , so maybe your mistaken.

Was Kieran Doherty Sinn Fein or independent? He was elected in 81 to the dail , so maybe your mistaken.

I seem to remember he got 15% of the first preference votes but was elected on the fourth count and was a TD for 2 months, but I though he stood as an anti H-Block TD while he was in H block? I am open to correction.
    The point is, during the troubles Sinn Fein did not do well in the polls here until the nineties etc.

I seem to remember he got 15% of the first preference votes but was elected on the fourth count and was a TD for 2 months, but I though he stood as an anti H-Block TD while he was in H block? I am open to correction.
    The point is, during the troubles Sinn Fein did not do well in the polls here until the nineties etc.
    Oh I think you're correct , i had a feeling he wasn't an official sf candidate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

it was not until the 90' s that SF got a TD elected in this state.

Sinn Féin had 53 TDs before the 1990s.

• Advertisement

Sinn Féin had 53 TDs before the 1990s.

In the twenties.

I wrote "Most people here in this state had no time for the pIRA during the troubles, it was not until the 90' s that SF got a TD elected in this state."

As far as I remember the troubles I was referring to did not start in the twenties. I was referring to the troubles / conflict / war (call it what you want) which started in '69.

Apart from the 1957 election when it won 4 seats, Sinn Fein had no TD's in the 30's, 40s, 50's, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90's until the 1997 election when it won one seat.

In fairness to the leadership, I say well done on moving it away from violence anyway, and sitting down with Paisley, and trying to move on a bit. A bit of compromise on all sides.

In the twenties.

I wrote "Most people here in this state had no time for the pIRA during the troubles, it was not until the 90' s that SF got a TD elected in this state."

As far as I remember the troubles I was referring to did not start in the twenties. I was referring to the troubles / conflict / war (call it what you want) which started in '69.

Apart from the 1957 election when it won 4 seats, Sinn Fein had no TD's in the 30's, 40s, 50's, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90's until the 1997 election when it won one seat.

In fairness to the leadership, I say well done on moving it away from violence anyway, and sitting down with Paisley, and trying to move on a bit. A bit of compromise on all sides.

That’s all lovely, and doesn’t at all take away from the fact that you are completely wrong.

You claimed Sinn Féin didn’t have a TD until the 1990’s, you’re not just wrong, you’re shockingly wrong.

Then the very next sentence after getting it so spectacularly wrong was slating someone’s credibility.

And your credibility is analysing matters has taken a serious beating in recent times.

You claimed Sinn Féin didn’t have a TD until the 1990’s,

I said "during the troubles, it was not until the 90' s that SF got a TD elected in this state."

You should have gone to specsavers. The 1920's was not during the most recent troubles, or what people refer to as the troubles.

I said "during the troubles, it was not until the 90' s that SF got a TD elected in this state."

You should have gone to specsavers. The 1920's was not during the most recent troubles, or what people refer to as the troubles.

Amazing revisionism... backed up by selective quoting.

Now what were you saying about credibility?

Amazing revisionism... backed up by selective quoting.

Now what were you saying about credibility?

It's not revisionism when it was there there in black and white for you all along, you blind bat. You must feel sore they had so little electoral success in that period. The truth hurts.

It's not revisionism when it was there there in black and white for you all along, you blind bat. You must feel sore they had so little electoral success in that period. The truth hurts.

It’s okay to be wrong a chara, don’t be getting so stressed over it.

As FrancieBrady said though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's deliciously ironic, that while SF have increased their vote since the 'troubles', they have done so by actively courting the 'can't pay, won't pay' bottom-feeders of the electorate.

They will have huge issues convincing even their own voters to pay for a UI.

It's deliciously ironic, that while SF have increased their vote since the 'troubles', they have done so by actively courting the 'can't pay, won't pay' bottom-feeders of the electorate.

The head in the sand thinking that thinks only SF will be campaigning for a UI when the time comes.

It's you who will be the political orphan. Unless you team up with the DUP, by the looks of it.

They will have Francie, who says he has never and does not vote SF :rolleyes:, working on it 24/7, sure what could go wrong?

• Advertisement

You are not just a Republican Francie, you are a Republican who condoned the pIRA. Most people here in this state had no time for the pIRA during the troubles, it was not until the 90' s that SF got a TD elected in

That's true, most in this state didn't actively support or condone the IRA during the troubles but a significant portion did. And believe it or not a portion of the state actively supported and condoned the loyalist paramilitaries too.
    Republicans, of course, will condone the IRA campaign. Let's not forget NI was an apartheid state with the forces of the british government, militarily and socially ,keeping the unionist population in a position of power and the nationalist population subservient . Abuses of power were happening to such a degree that it gave rise to both the civil rights movement and the IRA. So get off your high horse

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement