Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

10-15 years
    I think thats pretty clear all right. The same as Ireland being a British Isle, these people on that island are therefore British.

No. Did you go to school in Ireland? Canada is in the Americans, but Canada is a country. Anyone born there is a Canadian. Same goes for Mexicans. Seriously this is kindergarten stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Northern Irish is not a nationality, has no official recognition, and is not a nation of people.

That's why they are British by default wether they like it or not. Ireland has no legal claim to the 6 counties only an aspiration.

National Identity is subjective, nationality is the country you were born in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

..... you could unite with us and it would be your passport into belonging to the UK and even the commonwealth as a wee bonus.
    Ask us nicely and I’m sure we’ll let you in

Could be one of the dumbest posts I have seen.

You're confusing nationality v national identity.

10-15 years
    jh79 wrote: »
    That's why they are British by default wether they like it or not. Ireland has no legal claim to the 6 counties only an aspiration.

National Identity is subjective, nationality is the country you were born in.

Exactly. N.I. is not a country. It's in the geographical explanation within the name.

• Advertisement

Exactly. N.I. is not a country. It's in the geographical explanation within the name.

But legally speaking they are British. It's who they belong to and therefore gain rights from and have obligations to. (From wiki definition)

Hence why SSM and abortion might be introduced up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

20-30 years
    Looking at the bigger picture.. We are all but bugs living on a rock above sea level, we will all be dead in a hundred years, thankfully no more whinging on about what piece of rock you are affiliated to, or under what flag flutters above you, or what anthem gets your juices flowing...

Nobody really cares... Like the previous generations before us, we are just renting space on earth, we won't be taking anything with us, and the next generation will pick up where we left off...

Maybe in a thousand years, mankind will be seen as one, collectively known as Earthlings, with not a hoot given about what rock we cling to...

10-15 years
    But legally speaking they are British. It's who they belong to and therefore gain rights from and have obligations to. (From wiki definition)

Hence why SSM and abortion might be introduced up North.

Yes they are. But they weren't born in the country of Britain. There is no such country. That's why we've English people who are British and so on.
    As regards laws etc., yes they are currently under a different jurisdiction.
    We are European, but also Irish as are our fellow Irish men currently under British rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,221 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

jh79 wrote:
    Based on wiki , Francie, i think you have it backwards. NI is part of the UK therefore they are British. They can then chose to identify as Irish though and obtain citizenship.

How can you be Irish if born outside of the 26 counties?

What island other than Ireland is being referenced in 'Northern Irish'?

Take your time with this and think hard about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

20-30 years
    You're confusing nationality v national identity.

If I was born outside the 26 say in NY or Timbuktu and both my parents hold Irish passports then I am Irish. No confusion.

• Advertisement

I'm basing this on the definition from wiki not geography.

"Nationality is the status that allows a nation to grant rights to the subject and to impose obligations upon the subject".

By that definition they are British.

Illegal immigrants born in the US are still nationals of their parents country but have an American identity is an example of how it works given in wiki.

I'm basing this on the definition from wiki not geography.

"Nationality is the status that allows a nation to grant rights to the subject and to impose obligations upon the subject".

By that definition they are British.

Illegal immigrants born in the US are still nationals of their parents country but have an American identity is an example of how it works given in wiki.

Never mind wiki and answer a simple question.

Never mind wiki and answer a simple question.

Francie, if you see nationality as purely geographic that's your perogative.

But, the other poster was factually correct when they said British was their nationality.

But, the other poster was factually correct when they said British was their nationality.

They have chosen to be British which is their right and others have chosen to be Irish, as is their right. There is difference, 'choice' is the operative word.

10-15 years

They are British nationals from Ireland. N.I. is unique in that it is currently a partially occupied Irish province on the island of Ireland. If you were born in east Germany you'd be a soviet but also a German.

They have chosen to be British which is their right and others have chosen to be Irish, as is their right. There is difference, 'choice' is the operative word.

And that's called National Identity which is subjective whereas nationality is the country / soverign state you were born into.

They are British nationals from Ireland. N.I. is unique in that it is a currently partially occupied Irish province on the island of Ireland. If you were born in east Germany you'd be a soviet but also a German.

You'd almost think the GFA hadn't happened.

Nobody can impose an identity on anyone in NI. They all have the right to choose one.
    The days of being 'British' automatically are over as long as the GFA is in force.

And that's called National Identity which is subjective whereas nationality is the country / soverign state you were born into.

There is nothing 'subjective' about the island on which you are born. It is Ireland. The clue is in Northern IRISH.

They are British nationals from Ireland. N.I. is unique in that it is currently a partially occupied Irish province on the island of Ireland. If you were born in east Germany you'd be a soviet but also a German.

Given how complex it is maybe having a go at another poster for being British in NI isn't appropriate.

There is nothing 'subjective' about the island on which you are born. It is Ireland. The clue is in Northern IRISH.

There is if you want an automatic right to residence etc.

If you're basing this entirely on geography then just say so but the other poster was correct in saying British.

• Advertisement

10-15 years
    Given how complex it is maybe having a go at another poster for being British in NI isn't appropriate.

Having a go? Anyone born in Ireland is Irish. That's a fact not a slur. It's an insult to suggest it is.

There is if you want an automatic right to residence etc.

If you're basing this entirely on geography then just say so but the other poster was correct in saying British.

He/she is correct to say that they chose to identify as British. As somebody would also be equally correct to say they chose to identify as Irish. That is the unique position of NI expressed in the GFA.

They are born on the island of Ireland and they cannot change that simple unerring fact even if people chose to not say it to them for fear of upsetting or goading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Not even the British refer to it as a country - it's described as a province. Unlike Scotland and Wales, NI has never been an independent country with a distinct NI people/culture.

I disagree Tom,imo British people don`t see NI as an occupied part of Ireland,it`s seen as one of the four countries that make up the UK and even as an English person I know there are cultural differences between Ireland and NI.
    From a British point of view Ireland was part of Britain and it was Ireland that left the Union whilst the six counties remained.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I disagree Tom,imo British people don`t see NI as an occupied part of Ireland,it`s seen as one of the four countries that make up the UK and even as an English person I know there are cultural differences between Ireland and NI.
    From a British point of view Ireland was part of Britain and it was Ireland that left the Union whilst the six counties remained.

Had the Germans successfully invaded you, would you be happy to be called Germans now?

Rathlin , Copelands, shall I go on?

downcow wrote: »
    Rathlin , Copelands, shall I go on?

I'll take that - deflection - as your usual way of admitting you cannot continue your illogical argument any longer.

You'd almost think the GFA hadn't happened.

Nobody can impose an identity on anyone in NI. They all have the right to choose one.
    The days of being 'British' automatically are over as long as the GFA is in force.

As far as I am aware gfa had nothing to do with allowing you to be Irish. In fact if anything it made you less so as the county you aspire to no longer claims you as one of their own. You noe have to opt in

downcow wrote: »
    As far as I am aware gfa had nothing to do with allowing you to be Irish. In fact if anything it made you less so as the county you aspire to no longer claims you as one of their own. You noe have to opt in

Didn't you read that one either downcow?

(vi) recognise the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to
    identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they
    may so choose, and accordingly confirm that their right to hold both
    British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would
    not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland.

10-15 years
    RobMc59 wrote: »

I disagree. The average Brit is ignorant on Northern Ireland. Look at Johnston and Bradley. They've no clue about the place. When I lived in London I'd a grown woman ask me 'what's Northern Ireland?' She thought Belfast was next door to Dublin and we were lobbing bombs over at each other.

Correction Ireland was invaded and 26 counties became free while six remain occupied. Slightly different, how ever many 'Hello' magazine covers the Saxe-Coburg-Gothe get on the cover of.

• Advertisement

Having a go? Anyone born in Ireland is Irish. That's a fact not a slur. It's an insult to suggest it is.

Unfortunately for you your bigotry does not change how it is. I am British in every way. British parents and grandparents. Even though some were born in roi, it was even British then, I was born in the UK. I have a British passport. I love to see any team in the world beating your ROI team lol. QE2 is my monarch. I support British football teams, watch British tv. Speak English, if I was an athlete I would compete in the olympics for gb&ni. I use British pound, love the British flag, my roads are marked in miles and if I was joining an army it would be (surprise surprise) the British army. I could go on and on.

I realise that it is a little embarrassing for you that you probably sign up to many of these pro British things and maybe even support a British team like Celtic or Man U.
    It might just be you that’s having the identity crisis. Surely not?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement