Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

I am saying they have identified as British in a place that has an internationally binding agreement about 'identity' which allows people to chose what identity they wish to be.

That does not change where they were born. It is rather simple.

Yes, the geography never changes but nationality is the nation you are born in. There are only 26 counties in Ireland as an nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I am saying they have identified as British in a place that has an internationally binding agreement about 'identity' which allows people to chose what identity they wish to be.

That does not change where they were born. It is rather simple.

Francie. Unfortunately for you the UN has no doubt about this and recognises we are born in the UK. We have all agreed some people can chose to be Irish even though they were not born in the area that the UN regard as Ireland. But we are a compromising bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 69,227 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

jh79 wrote: »
    Yes, the geography never changes but nationality is the nation you are born in. There are only 26 counties in Ireland as an nation.

There are 32 counties in Ireland, 6 of them are only in the jurisdiction of the UK because the majority have identified as British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

20-30 years

Again you are completely wrong. Nationality depends on many thing including what passports your parents hold when you are born. Can you get Irish nationality by being born in Ireland to non Irish citizens for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

The vast majority in the north represent Ireland in the Olympics. Your greatest athlete in recent times will be representing us next year. Says it all really.

Vast majority ??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years

*sigh*
    ARTICLE 2

It is the entitlement and birthright of every person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, to be part of the Irish Nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Everything you say is true as is the fact that if you were born in Ireland you are Irish by sheer geography.
    If I called you an Ulster man would that be an insult? If not, do you know where Ulster is? Hint, it's not Wales.

Ah you're letting your own bigotry get to you. I'd a British Grandfather and a number of British cousins I'm very fond of. I don't follow soccer but I love a lot of British music. Get over your preconceived prejudices and don't be putting them on others. It's healthy to enjoy the cultures of others. It's not letting the team down to listen to Thin Lizzy or U2 ffs.

Nonsense, I was born in Dublin, Ireland, geographically part of the British Isles. That doesn’t make me British.

Someone born in Northern Ireland is Northern Irish by place of birth if they choose that as their reference point, or Irish by place of birth if they choose the island as their reference point, or British by place of birth if they choose the islands as their reference point.

That is what the GFA means, it put an official end to the kind of sectarian racist bigotry that says by being born on this island you have to be Irish. Unfortunately there are still some posters around here who just don’t get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    blanch152 wrote: »
    Nonsense, I was born in Dublin, Ireland, geographically part of the British Isles. That doesn’t make me British.

Someone born in Northern Ireland is Northern Irish by place of birth if they choose that as their reference point, or Irish by place of birth if they choose the island as their reference point, or British by place of birth if they choose the islands as their reference point.

That is what the GFA means, it put an official end to the kind of sectarian racist bigotry that says by being born on this island you have to be Irish. Unfortunately there are still some posters around here who just don’t get that.

Educate yourself a bit before mashing the keyboard.

D reann, Volume 606, 28 September 2005. In his response, the Irish Minister for Foreign Affairs stated that "The British Isles is not an officially recognised term in any legal or inter-governmental sense. It is without any official status. The Government, including the Department of Foreign Affairs, does not use this term. Our officials in the Embassy of Ireland, London, continue to monitor the media in Britain for any abuse of the official terms as set out in the Constitution of Ireland and in legislation.

*sigh*

But its optional they are British by default.

The point is the poster was factually correct when they said they were british.

So where was your outrage when somebody described ALL 'Nordies' as different to us who live in the south?

That is as anti GFA as you can get.

The GFA recognises the right of people to 'identify' as Irish or British, rightfully so, It does not change where you were born...the island of Ireland, because it can't do that. You can not mention it so as not to upset sensitivities if you wish though, that is your choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

downcow wrote: »
    Vast majority ??????

Yes the vast majority. Last olympics out of 29 in total from the north, 21 represented Ireland.
    Maybe it’s like North Korea in your house and those events where they declare for Ireland are not allowed to be broadcasted!

Yes the vast majority. Last olympics out of 29 in total from the north, 21 represented Ireland.

Now that is a 'vast majority' Facehugger. :)

Again you are completely wrong. Nationality depends on many thing including what passports your parents hold when you are born. Can you get Irish nationality by being born in Ireland to non Irish citizens for instance?

But that differs from country to country and therefore so does nationality. It's seperate from geography.

Example from wiki was that illegal immigrants born in the US are still nationals of the countries their parents came from but would identify as American .

20-30 years
    But that differs from country to country and therefore so does nationality. It's seperate from geography.

Example from wiki was that illegal immigrants born in the US are still nationals of the countries their parents came from but would identify as American .

But you just said nationality is the nation you are born in so that was wrong. Nationality is often the passport of your parents not where you were born. So if an person is born in Ireland of Irish parents they are Irish as they are if they were born in London. Dublin, Belfast, London it makes no difference.

Educate yourself a bit before mashing the keyboard.

D reann, Volume 606, 28 September 2005. In his response, the Irish Minister for Foreign Affairs stated that "The British Isles is not an officially recognised term in any legal or inter-governmental sense. It is without any official status. The Government, including the Department of Foreign Affairs, does not use this term. Our officials in the Embassy of Ireland, London, continue to monitor the media in Britain for any abuse of the official terms as set out in the Constitution of Ireland and in legislation.

Ireland doesn’t recognise the term, so what?

But you just said nationality is the nation you are born in so that was wrong. Nationality is often the passport of your parents not where you were born.

Yeah should of added depending on the relevant laws but in the case of NI British is correct.

Yeah should of added depending on the relevant laws but in the case of NI British is correct.

Yeh, the Irish people in NI 'belong' to Britain. :)

So where was your outrage when somebody described ALL 'Nordies' as different to us who live in the south?

That is as anti GFA as you can get.

The GFA recognises the right of people to 'identify' as Irish or British, rightfully so, It does not change where you were born...the island of Ireland, because it can't do that. You can not mention it so as not to upset sensitivities if you wish though, that is your choice.

It does not change where you were born, whether that be Northern Ireland, Ireland or the British Isles, and you are free to call where you are born whichever of those you choose, and take whichever nationality as your resultant birthright.

A denial of that choice to be British by birthright is pure sectarian bigotry.

20-30 years

So if you are born in the six counties no matter what passport your parents hold or their status you would be British and entitled to a British passport? Is that correct?

It does not change where you were born, whether that be Northern Ireland, Ireland or the British Isles, and you are free to call where you are born whichever of those you choose, and take whichever nationality as your resultant birthright.

A denial of that choice to be British by birthright is pure sectarian bigotry.

It is not a 'choice to be British by birthright' blanch, it is a 'recognition of the birthright to 'identify' as British or Irish'.

You have the right to choose what you identify as. And you cannot do that until you know there is such a thing as Irish and British.

NOBODY is denying that right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

So if you are born in the six counties no matter what passport your parents hold or their status you would be British and entitled to a British passport? Is that correct?

One thing for sure, Leo will not pay the healthcare, education, pension or unemployment costs of those you mention born and living in the six counties anyway.

It is not a 'choice to be British by birthright' blanch, it is a 'recognition of the birthright to 'identify' as British or Irish'.

You have the right to choose what you identify as. And you cannot do that until you know there is such a thing as Irish and British.

NOBODY is denying that right.

If that’s the way you want to see it, legally you are born British by virtue of being born in the UK, and only can identify as Irish when attaining the age of reason.

I will stick to my version though.

And you cannot do that until you know there is such a thing as Irish and British.

Of course you can be British (from the UK of Gt. Britain and N. Ireland) and Irish.

Exact same as people can be Tasmanian and Australian

Exact same as people can be Sicilian and Italian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭raclle

This is such a complex issue. I actually feel sorry for people living in the North. So many factors to take into consideration that whatever happens i don't envy whoever has to make decisions. Its a no win situation up there at the moment.

The North will definitelysuffer most from brexit. Parliament doesn't care about them and am absolutely shocked in the way they're handling the GFA. Their economy will literally fall apart which in the end may result in IU but at what cost? Loyalists in their bigoted minds are unable to see the bigger picture or just want to remain under british rule at all costs.

Whatever happens i'd rather see things the way they are now instead of a return to violence which is inevitable.

janfebmar wrote: »
    Of course you can be British (from the UK of Gt. Britain and N. Ireland) and Irish.

Exact same as people can be Tasmanian and Australian

Exact same as people can be Sicilian and Italian

Yes we know you can identify as British and Irish, nobody disputes or denies this if they voted for the GFA. You can also identify as British in southern Ireland too janfebnar, you always could and people did.

That doesn't change where you were born though. It is just a truism of geography...a fact that can not be denied because this island is called Ireland. Trying to deny it by making Ireland part of a bigger group of islands that has the name British in it, is just cute and a wee bit desperate tbh.

That is my final word on it, because I am not prepared to indulge your predictable pedantry, that no doubt is incoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

15-20 years
    In what f*cking world is not knowing a county a few miles down the road from you a point of pride!??

Jesus Christ, how the hell is that something to boast about?!?

What a load of sh*te

20-30 years
    One thing for sure, Leo will not pay the healthcare, education, pension or unemployment costs of those you mention born and living in the six counties anyway.

You think that the six are such a ****tteee show that the people cant get their act together and pay for themselves. You have a very low opinion of the statelet and its people, really shows that even people who support it think its a basket case. Sad reality after 100 years of running our wee country into the ground. No option really but a UI.

Yes we know you can identify as British and Irish, nobody disputes or denies this if they voted for the GFA. You can also identify as British in southern Ireland too janfebnar, you always could and people did.

That doesn't change where you were born though. It is just a truism of geography...a fact that can not be denied because this island is called Ireland. Trying to deny it by making Ireland part of a bigger group of islands that has the name British in it, is just cute and a wee bit desperate tbh.

That is my final word on it, because I am not prepared to indulge your predictable pedantry, that no doubt is incoming.

lol I bet it is not your final word on it, because when you said before for example you were posting no more on a thread, back you were before too long.

Anyway, the British Isles is a geographical term for these islands, same as America is the continent if meant in the geographical sense. Quote: "The British Isles are a group of islands in the North Atlantic off the north-western coast of continental Europe that consist of the islands of Great Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Hebrides and over six thousand smaller isles."

lol I bet it is not your final word on it, because when you said before for example you were posting no more on a thread, back you were before too long.

Anyway, the British Isles is a geographical term for these islands, same as America is the continent if meant in the geographical sense. Quote: "The British Isles are a group of islands in the North Atlantic off the north-western coast of continental Europe that consist of the islands of Great Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Hebrides and over six thousand smaller isles."

Clarification: I am not engaging with YOU on the subject.

• Advertisement

You think that the six are such a ****tteee show that the people cant get their act together and pay for themselves. You have a very low opinion of the statelet and its people, really shows that even people who support it think its a basket case. Sad reality after 100 years of our wee country into the ground.

I actually have a high opinion of the place I have a lot of friends there. There are good and bad people there same as in every other place that size. Many of the people there are very hard working and industrious, history tells us that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement