Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

20-30 years
    A very good overview of the economics of reunification by Cliff Taylor in today's Irish Times. Loads of factors not mentioned yet in this thread:

Cliff Taylor, Merging two economies: How would a united Ireland add up?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,227 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You think that the six are such a ****tteee show that the people cant get their act together and pay for themselves. You have a very low opinion of the statelet and its people, really shows that even people who support it think its a basket case. Sad reality after 100 years of running our wee country into the ground. No option really but a UI.

As well as being proud of not knowing anything about southern Ireland or anything Irish, some Unionists and some partitionists seem to think the massive failure of the statelet and it's permanent hand out for UK taxpayers money is something to proud about too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    blanch152 wrote: »
    Ireland doesn’t recognise the term, so what?

You know who does? Wind up merchants - they love using the term 'British Isles' on forums like this because they get a weird thrill out of trying to get a rise out of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Clarification: I am not engaging with YOU on the subject.

So you move the goalposts yet again. lol.

As you are clarifying things now Francie, any clarification on your proposed "relocation grants" scheme to get rid of those you consider undesirables out of a U.I. ? Will it apply only to the Protestants and Unionists (the Arlene type you mentioned) you want to get rid of or what if Syrians or Africans decide they cannot live in a U.I. either, will your scheme apply to them too?

You know who does? Wind up merchants - they love using the term 'British Isles' on forums like this because they get a weird thrill out of trying to get a rise out of people.

It is just so hilariously desperate to see it being done. And by whom. :)

• Advertisement

janfebmar wrote: »
    So you move the goalposts yet again. lol.

As you are clarifying things now Francie, any clarification on your proposed "relocation grants" scheme to get rid of those you consider undesirables out of a U.I. ? Will it apply only to the Protestants and Unionists (the Arlene type you mentioned) you want to get rid of or what if Syrians or Africans decide they cannot live in a U.I. either, will your scheme apply to them too?

My 'scheme' will be available to those who say they 'cannot live in a UI'.

You propose ignoring them. As we know, partitionists did that with Irish people before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years
    One thing for sure, Leo will not pay the healthcare, education, pension or unemployment costs of those you mention born and living in the six counties anyway.

Actually, that isn't true. From what I can gather, people born in NI are treated exactly the same as anyone born south of the border when it comes to 3rd level education and healthcare. For example, people of Donegal use hospitals in NI, and children from NI use Crumlin Hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

20-30 years
    I actually have a high opinion of the place I have a lot of friends there. There are good and bad people there same as in every other place that size. Many of the people there are very hard working and industrious, history tells us that.

History tells us the opposite the six have gone from an industrial poorhouse to a begging backwater. They have destroyed the economy and the place is a sectarian hole. Their main mantra about a UI seems to be " we are so poor and incompetent that you could not afford us" . Frankly that is an embarrassment, imagine being in that head space.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

20-30 years
    downcow wrote: »
    You make my point. The Irish arrogance somehow thinks Boris should have studied the history a 32 county Ireland. You were irrelevant totally to someone studying in England.

Up to about 100 years ago, it was his own nation's history. The British introduced the 'county system' to Ireland.

So in the case of a United Ireland, if and when taxes rise, living standards fall and dissident loyalists set off bombs in Dublin and the country spirals in to chaos and Africans and Asians etc decide they "cannot live in a UI", you will relocate them and set them up in a new life in a new country? How very tcharitable of you Francie. Much more decend than just taking stolen land off colonisers or their descendants and giving them the boat fare to Stranraer.
    You propose ignoring them.
    I never said that.
    As we know, partitionists did that with Irish people before.
    Another example of you using that word " partitionists " in an insulting manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭trashcan

Unfortunately for you your bigotry does not change how it is. I am British in every way. British parents and grandparents. Even though some were born in roi, it was even British then, I was born in the UK. I have a British passport. ?

Small point of order. Britain is not the U.K. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland . Such a small word, but it makes quite a difference. You are part of the UK, you're not part of Britain, however much you might wish it.

trashcan wrote: »
    Small point of order. Britain is not the U.K. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland . Such a small word, but it makes quite a difference. You are part of the UK, you're not part of Britain, however much you might wish it.

It is much easier to say you are "British" than to say you are a "United Kingdomer".

It is exactly the same as Hawaiians calling themselves American. America is a continent thousands of miles from Hawaii. The call themselves Hawaiian, and / or American. Usually too much of a tongue twister to say they are from the United States of America, when they can simply say they are "American".

So in the case of a United Ireland, if and when taxes rise, living standards fall and dissident loyalists set off bombs in Dublin and the country spirals in to chaos and Africans and Asians etc decide they "cannot live in a UI", you will relocate them and set them up in a new life in a new country? How very tcharitable of you Francie. Much more decend than just taking stolen land off colonisers or their descendants and giving them the boat fare to Stranraer.

I don't think we should re-make the mistake of partition*

I never said that.

What did you 'say' then? And please don't use the cowardly 'hypothetical' excuse or cop out. People were not polled on this for nothing.

Another example of you using that word " partitionists " in an insulting manner.

*Partition was created and supported by 'partitionists' just as the republic was created by 'republicans' and 'unionists' want to maintain a 'union'.

Nothing insulting or derogatory about a descriptive word, unless you are feeling guilty about wanting to maintain/support 'partition'.

30-40 years
    Frankly that is an embarrassment, imagine being in that head space.

If Carson was around today he'd be utterly ashamed of the decrepit state of Unionism and remorseful about partition.

The entire north has half the GDP of Dublin City.

What did you 'say' then?

Go back and read it. You were wrong so many times before.

Hint: I said something about help and advice centres to help victims of Irish unification.

Go back and read it. You were wrong so many times before.

Hint: I said something about help and advice centres to help victims of Irish unification.

That would be the UK helping notional 'victims'.

What do YOU propose we do for them. Or did you inadvertently reveal you are not in Ireland?

The entire north has half the GDP of Dublin City.

Not surprising when Republicans engaged in trying to destroy the economy there on so many occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes we know you can identify as British and Irish, nobody disputes or denies this if they voted for the GFA. You can also identify as British in southern Ireland too janfebnar, you always could and people did.

That doesn't change where you were born though. It is just a truism of geography...a fact that can not be denied because this island is called Ireland. Trying to deny it by making Ireland part of a bigger group of islands that has the name British in it, is just cute and a wee bit desperate tbh.

That is my final word on it, because I am not prepared to indulge your predictable pedantry, that no doubt is incoming.

The British Isles is also a truism of geography.

Give it up Francie, and take your bigoted and racist view of nationality elsewhere. According to your definition, every Bosnian born in Serbia is Serbian, every Macedonian born in Greece is Greek, and every Palestinian born in Israel is Israeli.

Try telling that to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You propose ignoring them. As we know, partitionists did that with Irish people before.

Your Cromwellian idea of a modern version of to hell or to Bradford for those who don’t like a united Ireland is dead, just drop it.

What do YOU propose we do for them.

I told you, go back and read it.

• Advertisement

The British Isles is also a truism of geography.

Give it up Francie, and take your bigoted and racist view of nationality elsewhere. According to your definition, every Bosnian born in Serbia is Serbian, every Macedonian born in Greece is Greek, and every Palestinian born in Israel is Israeli.

Try telling that to them.
    blanch152 wrote: »
    Your Cromwellian idea of a modern version of to hell or to Bradford for those who don’t like a united Ireland is dead, just drop it.

Do you understand the word or concept of 'choice'? Because from those two posts it seems you don't.

I simply propose to give people who have said 'they can't live in a UI' the choice, there isn't the slightest suggestion of 'force'.

You really have demeaned yourself in your lies and misrepresentation on this one blanch.

30-40 years
    Not surprising when Republicans engaged in trying to destroy the economy there on so many occasions.

487076.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭eire4

So if you are born in Spain are you called spanish and in Canada you are called american . such blind nonsense

Canada is part of North America so a Canadian just as a Mexican is also is an American as well. I think your of course referring to the USA as if they had a monopoly on being American which they do not. They share the continents with many other nations if you include Central America and South America.

I told you, go back and read it.
    janfebmar wrote:
    I would propose in a event of a United Ireland and in the event of Republicans following through on Francies proposal to relocate Protestants and other Unionists from Northern Ireland, that help and advice centres be set up abroad to deal with the victims if Irish unification.

Here is what you said. I never suggested 'relocating' anybody. 18% of Unionists polled said 'they couldn't live in a UI'.

Do WE ignore them and leave them to their fate like Irish people were ignored at partition and after, or do we(not centres abroad) help them if they require help? Yes or no?

You cannot run away from a simple question jan.

I was born and bred in dublin,never lived in the british isles in my life

I was thinking the same myself. The term British Isles has absolutely no legal standing in any shape or form. It has no official status and is not used even in the Good Friday Agreement. It simply is an Anglo-Centric imperialist term usually used these days it seems to me as a cheap point scoring exercise.

I think thats pretty clear all right. The same as Ireland being a British Isle, these people on that island are therefore British.

Actually no Ireland is just that, Ireland. The British Isles has no official status and does not exist in any legal form. It is simply an Anglo Centric anachronism that is typically used as a cheap point scoring exercise.

I simply propose to give people who have said 'they can't live in a UI' the choice, .

You really think citizens of Northern Ireland would not have the price of a ticket for the boat to Scotland and they would need your "Relocation Grant"? Or is your plan to cleanse the island of certain types, seeing as you want to ban certain aspects of their culture as they see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

20-30 years

They shouldn't have bothered as the Unionist did a good job of wrecking the economy all on their own. They shouldn't be allowed to run a sweet shop let alone a sectarian backwater.

eire4 wrote: »
    Canada is part of North America so a Canadian just as a Mexican is also is an American as well. I think your of course referring to the USA as if they had a monopoly on being American which they do not.

America geographically is the continent. Politically it is the U.S.A. People from Hawaii, if asked their nationality, would say American. They are from the United States of America. People from N. Ireland often say they are British, meaning they are from the UK.

• Advertisement

You really think citizens of Northern Ireland would not have the price of a ticket for the boat to Scotland and they would need your "Relocation Grant"? Or is your plan to cleanse the island of certain types, seeing as you want to ban certain aspects of their culture as they see it?

Ok, as you refuse to answer a simple yes or no question we will take it you would ignore them.

I'm sure they will be delighted to know that to move permanently from somewhere they say 'they can't live in' that all they will need is the price of the boat to Scotland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement