Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,230 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

janfebmar wrote: »
    Give us a date Francie. Gerry was proven wrong a number of times. Go on, we could do with a laugh.

I will go with the majority opinion in the poll here janfebmar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

I will go with the majority opinion in the poll here janfebmar.

So you cannot answer a question of a predicted date.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

If somebody specifically identifies the word 'British' as a descriptor for them, I have no issue using it.
    If they don't I use the country of their birth...Scotland, Wales, England etc.

Who in their right mind would say Billy Connolly was British before they would say Scottish? Or who would turn on the telly to watch the rugby and say that 2 British teams are playing each other, one of them is in white and the other one is playing in red and white?

The UK is a 'union' of countries jan that includes Great Britain AND northern Ireland

That took a long time but finall you got him there jan. francie has finally accepted the uk is a union of countries and that NORTHERN IRELAND IS ONE OF THOSE COUNTRIES. Thank goodness for his enlightenment.

jh79 wrote: »
    Billy Connolly was born in the country of Scotland which is a constituent country of the UK.

If born in Belfast your country of birth isn't Ireland. Ireland soverignty applies only to 26 counties as accepted by all who voted for the GFA.

You just said you use the country of birth was that a mistake?

Almost half of the people of NI believe that they live in a part of Ireland jh79,(the CLUE is in the name) some of the rest are furiously denying it.

By the way...Billy Connolly would be right saying he is from Scotland, Britain and the UK.
    Somebody from Northern Ireland would be right saying they are from Ireland, Northern Ireland and the UK. They would be wrong saying they are from Britain though, as NI is not a part of Britain. They would be right if they identified as British though as we allowed that right in the GFA.

downcow wrote: »
    That took a long time but finall you got him there jan. francie has finally accepted the uk is a union of countries and that NORTHERN IRELAND IS ONE OF THOSE COUNTRIES. Thank goodness for his enlightenment.

Do you now accept it is not 'a part' of Britain?

I always accepted it was a part of the UK...I read the GFA.

• Advertisement

So you cannot answer a question of a predicted date.

No. How would anyone know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Almost half of the people of NI believe that they live in a part of Ireland jh79,(the CLUE is in the name) some of the rest are furiously denying it.

By the way...Billy Connolly would be right saying he is from Scotland, Britain and the UK.
    Somebody from Northern Ireland would be right saying they are from Ireland, Northern Ireland and the UK. They would be wrong saying they are from Britain though, as NI is not a part of Britain. They would be right if they identified as British though as we allowed that right in the GFA.

World Atlas says it is a province if Britian as it was never formally declared a state/ country.

I didn't particularly admire Paisley, I don't admire bigots and sectarian opportunists.

I know Unionists have a habit of hearing things no-one else hears too.

There will be a UI when 51% vote for it downcow, you should sit down this weekend and read the GFA, that's the roadmap.

Not quite that simple francie. 51% on the island may vote for it or 51% in roi or 51% in ni But it requires a minimum or 51% in two votes.
    And then of course if that hypothetical position should ever arise it is going to take some amazing negotiating to arrive at an arrangement. Eg lol will unionists mirror current nationalist thinking and want Irish flag only on designated days in Dublin, ulster Scots signs in Wicklow, the unionist identity and culture represented in public and government buildings, £10,000 if we have to walk past a picture of your president, Ireland’s call at gaa games, extension of ni fair employment rules to the island to protect us prods.
    Oh I could go on and on. It will be a fun time if it happens and you will find out how difficult it is to keep feeding the crocs only this time the crocs will be orangemen

lol lol lol

Do you now accept it is not 'a part' of Britain?

I always accepted it was a part of the UK...I read the GFA.

Maybe you could shoe me anywhere I suggested ni is part of Britain. We learn that at primary school

jh79 wrote: »
    World Atlas says it is a province if Britian as it was never formally declared a state/ country.

Francie says it’s a country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

15-20 years
    Not quite that simple francie. 51% on the island may vote for it or 51% in roi or 51% in ni But it requires a minimum or 51% in two votes.
    And then of course if that hypothetical position should ever arise it is going to take some amazing negotiating to arrive at an arrangement. Eg lol will unionists mirror current nationalist thinking and want Irish flag only on designated days in Dublin, ulster Scots signs in Wicklow, the unionist identity and culture represented in public and government buildings, £10,000 if we have to walk past a picture of your president, Ireland’s call at gaa games, extension of ni fair employment rules to the island to protect us prods.
    Oh I could go on and on. It will be a fun time if it happens and you will find out how difficult it is to keep feeding the crocs only this time the crocs will be orangemen

lol lol lol

Ulster Scots signs?
    Don't make me laugh.
    Ulster Scots not a language but a dialect. An unnecessary stumbling block introduced by Irish-language hating Unionists.

Irish language is given special status in the GFA and this must be respected.

Rodin wrote: »
    Ulster Scots signs?
    Don't make me laugh.
    Ulster Scots not a language but a dialect. An unnecessary stumbling block introduced by Irish-language hating Unionists.

Irish language is given special status in the GFA and this must be respected.

But Ulster Scots is in the gfa and the post UI unionist crocodiles will need fed.
    The longer I think about it I am warming to the idea of being a ‘special’ minority with the Irish government scrambling to appease us in every way.
    Portaloos and marquees at all the 11th night fires would be a great start we can then move to the level of funding the west Belfast festival gets.
    You know a UI isn’t all bad lol

15-20 years
    But Ulster Scots is in the gfa and the post UI unionist crocodiles will need fed.
    The longer I think about it I am warming to the idea of being a ‘special’ minority with the Irish government scrambling to appease us in every way.
    Portaloos and marquees at all the 11th night fires would be a great start we can then move to the level of funding the west Belfast festival gets.
    You know a UI isn’t all bad lol

Ulster Scots merely gets a mention.
    The Irish language gets a whole section on how it should be promoted.

This is already in the agreement. Unionist refusing to accept its implementation.

Ulster Scots dialect and the Irish language are not equivalent and are not treated equivalently in the agreement.

Most placenames in N.I. are Irish names contorted and anglicised. An understanding of the Irish language will enrich cultural understanding of the area.

Where is the Farset river anyway?

I'm off to 'foreign' climes again today. Check me passport, travellers cheques, and had me jabs.

Newtownbutler here I come! :D Tickety Boo peeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

I'm off to 'foreign' climes again today. Check me passport, travellers cheques, and had me jabs.

Newtownbutler here I come! :D Tickety Boo peeps.

Sure if it is so trivial may as well leave things as they are?

Ulster Scots merely gets a mention.
    The Irish language gets a whole section on how it should be promoted.

This is already in the agreement. Unionist refusing to accept its implementation.

Ulster Scots dialect and the Irish language are not equivalent and are not treated equivalently in the agreement.

Most placenames in N.I. are Irish names contorted and anglicised. An understanding of the Irish language will enrich cultural understanding of the area.

Where is the Farset river anyway?

You see robin money is poured in to nationalist culture and identity in ni because it is perceived as under threat. Now in a UI it couldn’t possibly be under threat or disadvantaged so that argument is gone. But the unionist culture and identity will be perceived to be under serious pressure and the unionist crocodiles will have insatiable appetites. It’s logical that all the money is redirected to the new under pressure identity. It’s a no brainer.
    ....and the huge numbers of loyalist bands, orange halls, Scottish dance groups, etc, etc will ensure there are many times as many unionist crocs to feed that the few shinners who could say chucki ar la
    The loyalist culture is much more mainstream and therefore will absorb much more support.
    If I was a roi resident I would avoid a UI like the plague. And I reckon they might when they hear what they are getting into.

15-20 years
    You see robin money is poured in to nationalist culture and identity in ni because it is perceived as under threat. Now in a UI it couldn’t possibly be under threat or disadvantaged so that argument is gone. But the unionist culture and identity will be perceived to be under serious pressure and the unionist crocodiles will have insatiable appetites. It’s logical that all the money is redirected to the new under pressure identity. It’s a no brainer.
    ....and the huge numbers of loyalist bands, orange halls, Scottish dance groups, etc, etc will ensure there are many times as many unionist crocs to feed that the few shinners who could say chucki ar la
    The loyalist culture is much more mainstream and therefore will absorb much more support.
    If I was a roi resident I would avoid a UI like the plague. And I reckon they might when they hear what they are getting into.

Sectarianism isn't culture and nationalist areas are disadvantaged due to the institutionalised discrimination against Catholics by Stormont and the legacy issues coming from that. There is no such equivalent position on the other side.

Young Unionist/Protestants would do well to educate and upskill themselves as Catholics had to do nownthey can't get a guaranteed job 'down the yard'.

Sectarianism isn't culture and nationalist areas are disadvantaged due to the institutionalised discrimination against Catholics by Stormont and the legacy issues coming from that. There is no such equivalent position on the other side.

Young Unionist/Protestants would do well to educate and upskill themselves as Catholics had to do nownthey can't get a guaranteed job 'down the yard'.

Rodin. I assume you don’t live in ni or know much about it.
    To suggest there are no disadvantaged loyalist areas just demonstrates your lack of understanding and how you have swallowed the shinner propaganda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Try again Francie. What is the internationally used one word, just one word to describe people of the UK Francie?

Hint: it begins with a B.

[/QUOTE]

15-20 years
    Rodin. I assume you don’t live in ni or know much about it.
    To suggest there are no disadvantaged loyalist areas just demonstrates your lack of understanding and how you have swallowed the shinner propaganda

Nobody said there are no disadvantaged loyalist areas.
    The difference is that they aren't that way because of state-sectarianism against them.

The reasons for disadvantaged loyalist areas are multifactorial.
    The traditional jobs for these areas,like the yard are now gone. Where once a job was guaranteed and no education needed, this is no longer the case.

Catholics, being oppressed for so long embraced education to a much greater extent. It is no surprise the best schools in N.Ireland and Catholic grammars.

What disadvantaged loyalist areas need to do is to drag themselves up and aim higher and embrace education, not constantly harping on about how 'themmuns get everyhing (sic) '

• Advertisement

Nobody said there are no disadvantaged loyalist areas.
    The difference is that they aren't that way because of state-sectarianism against them.

The reasons for disadvantaged loyalist areas are multifactorial.
    The traditional jobs for these areas,like the yard are now gone. Where once a job was guaranteed and no education needed, this is no longer the case.

Catholics, being oppressed for so long embraced education to a much greater extent. It is no surprise the best schools in N.Ireland and Catholic grammars.

What disadvantaged loyalist areas need to do is to drag themselves up and aim higher and embrace education, not constantly harping on about how 'themmuns get everyhing (sic) '

You sound a wee bit like Margaret thatcher. The should drag themselves up by their bootlaces.
    It sad to hear you talking about the most disadvantaged in society in that way. I looked on at the chaos in the new lodge over the last week and genuinely felt sorry for those you people and their lack of opportunity. But you obviously thought it was all their own fault

15-20 years
    You sound a wee bit like Margaret thatcher. The should drag themselves up by their bootlaces.
    It sad to hear you talking about the most disadvantaged in society in that way. I looked on at the chaos in the new lodge over the last week and genuinely felt sorry for those you people and their lack of opportunity. But you obviously thought it was all their own fault

I'm a working class Catholic from N.Ireland. First from either side of the family to stay in school beyond 16. I have 3 degrees and doing well.

The difference in modern Ireland compared to the 60s/70s is that the opportunities are now there. They weren't previously for working class Catholics.

Those type of areas are in every country no matter what opportunities are given. Dublin, Glasgow,London....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

10-15 years
    Try again Francie. What is the internationally used one word, just one word to describe people of the UK Francie?

[/quote]
    Jan,I reckon if Francie's grandparents were born whilst Ireland was still a home nation he might qualify for a British passport-that might cheer him up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭trashcan

[/QUOTE]

Give it its full name, go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭trashcan

Now all we have to do is agree that Northern Ireland is not part of Britain.

I'm a working class Catholic from N.Ireland. First from either side of the family to stay in school beyond 16. I have 3 degrees and doing well.

The difference in modern Ireland compared to the 60s/70s is that the opportunities are now there. They weren't previously for working class Catholics.

Those type of areas are in every country no matter what opportunities are given. Dublin, Glasgow,London....

I’m doing all right jack. So f*** the wee plebs in ardoyne and tigers bay Nothing to do with me. !!!

trashcan wrote: »
    Now all we have to do is agree that Northern Ireland is not part of Britain.

I think we were all in agreement from the beginning that ni is an integral part of the UK of gb&ni. I think it was francie thought it was part of roi. I hope he’s ok now that he’s discovered this

I'm a working class Catholic from N.Ireland....

How do you define working class? You don’t sound very working class to me?

15-20 years
    How do you define working class? You don’t sound very working class to me?

That's the benefit of an education.
    How does working class 'sound', mucker?

• Advertisement

That's the benefit of an education.
    How does working class 'sound', mucker?

You said you had 3 degrees. I assume it wasn’t an album of theirs that you were referring to.

there’s not too many people remain working class after achieving 3 degrees. But maybe you are still living in a working class area on minimum wage.

I just find it’s often part of the nationalist victim mentality, a trait that they hate to admit when they have became middle class

I know nationalists who are two bmw car family with their kids doing horse riding at the weekends who love to claim they are working class and distributed against
    lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement