Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for suggestions on back to education or work after kids

Options
  • 24-04-2019 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Looking for info on behalf of a mate. She was a hairdresser a long time ago, but hated it, and ended up in an office which she liked a lot more. She stopped working there before kid #2 (so, about 5-7 years ago), but with kid #3 nearly 2 years old, she's wondering about her chances of returning to work.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a course she could learn in the evenings at home, so when kid #3 starts in playschool, she can start working again? She has access to a laptop, but wouldn't really be a "computer person". She's aware that her not working for a while will go against her, thus why I'm seeing if she can upskill beforehand.

Is there any resources people would recommend and/or be available to moms who want to return to work after having kids? Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I would start with a computer course now. Whether she goes to college or gets s job good computer skills are vital. She could do ECDL or find an adults computer class in local secondary school.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

https://springboardcourses.ie/ is worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

She could also look at the etb locally. A quick google should tell you where they’re are based locally, and who to contact

• Registered Users Posts: 22,422 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Moonbeam wrote: »
    https://springboardcourses.ie/ is worth looking at.

Springboard courses are great. She should look at the kinds of industry in her area. If there are any jobs in growth sectors that are short of workers, she can do a free part time distance course on springboard that might give her the qualification to get her foot in the door in a new career. Even just starting a part time course gives her something of value to an employer because they'll be getting an enthusiastic employee who is willing to train and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,422 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I would start with a computer course now. Whether she goes to college or gets s job good computer skills are vital. She could do ECDL or find an adults computer class in local secondary school.

I'm not sure if anyone respects the ECDL course TBH. It's really really basic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Akrasia wrote: »
    I'm not sure if anyone respects the ECDL course TBH. It's really really basic.

It’s basic, but if she plans on doing any sort of course at all, she will really really struggle with a lot of them if she doesn’t have basic computer skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Google women returners. They're set up to help women get back into the workforce.

Advertisement