Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indeed 'creates' 600 jobs...

Options
  • 24-04-2019 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

...over next 5 years (always amused by that qualifying statement on 'major job announcements). Anyway - that's another 600 apartments and extra public transport capacity needed...plenty of spare capacity out there as it is and Cork, Limerick and Waterford are full to capacity of course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

:mad::mad:
    I presume Daft just say that they're a portal facilitating exchanges between l lord and renters and have no responsibility for the quality or morals of the lettings...?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Have you reported the ad to see what they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

miamee wrote: »
    Have you reported the ad to see what they say?

I have indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I have indeed

Reported for what? Its an unfurnished room in a house share. Not everyone renting needs a furnished property or room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tech firms would often rather get no IDA assistance at all than go outside of Dublin, preferably the docks if they're seen as young/early stage firms. Only more established firms are willing to head away from the docks, e.g. Microsoft and now Facebook.

There is nothing that would make most of them go to Cork/Waterford/Limerick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Del2005 wrote: »
    Reported for what? Its an unfurnished room in a house share. Not everyone renting needs a furnished property or room.

This. I would've thought that €400 per month for a room in a house share is reasonably normal these days. If someone wants to pay that, then what's the problem with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Del2005 wrote: »

Clearly a tenant whom is renting out a living room, which I am quite sure is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

gibgodsman wrote: »
    Clearly a tenant whom is renting out a living room, which I am quite sure is illegal.

Renting a living room illegal. Its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

L1011 wrote: »
    Tech firms would often rather get no IDA assistance at all than go outside of Dublin, preferably the docks if they're seen as young/early stage firms. Only more established firms are willing to head away from the docks, e.g. Microsoft and now Facebook.

Especially for those who want to tap into the growing multilingual skill add of inside sales and business development reps for their services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,598 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Plenty of doleites that have never worked a day in their life getting homes/apartments given to them by the state that could easily fook off to rural Leitrim to make room for these newcomers who will finance their lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 s_mcloughlin

gibgodsman wrote: »

Its something that I've seen/heard of being done a few times, and is probably more popular with students - no sitting room and one extra tenant, but rent could be reduced by €100 or more per month. Not that bad of a trade off imo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Saw a stat late last year that said in Dublin the office space currently under construction is enough for 60,000 new workspaces. You'd really have to wonder where all these people are going to live, the residential construction sector is a way off building for those kind of numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

600jobs

i can't get my head around that? to me indeed is a very basic website with jobs advertised..a donedeal for the jobs market....where does the 600 jobs come into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

fryup wrote: »
    600jobs

i can't get my head around that? to me indeed is a very basic website with jobs advertised..a donedeal for the jobs market....where does the 600 jobs come into it?

Convincing agencies and companies throughout Europe to pay for a listing on indeed - inside sales and bus development “representatives”, associates etc. Presumably also some multilingual content verification etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The economy must be doing well when people are complaining about new jobs. We should be glad to have the Dublin IT hub, there's lots of countries who would love to steal those jobs and taxes from us.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

if that was aimed at me i'm not complaining at all...i'm just saying to me as a layman indeed looks like a website developed by a student on work experience, its very basic

^^^^^^^^^^^

how much do they charge an employer to advertise a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

L1011 wrote: »

Microsoft have never been based in the docks (apart from maybe then why acquired Visio who were in one of the buildings that Google now occupy in GCD). They've always been based in Sandyford/Leopardstown. They curently have office somewhere in town (probably around Harcourt St.) for MS employees and also LinkedIn and Havoc had offices in town, but they were also ascquisitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

PaulieC wrote: »
    Microsoft have never been based in the docks (apart from maybe then why acquired Visio who were in one of the buildings that Google now occupy in GCD). They've always been based in Sandyford/Leopardstown. They curently have office somewhere in town (probably around Harcourt St.) for MS employees and also LinkedIn and Havoc had offices in town, but they were also ascquisitions.

Microsofts first Irish office was actually in Blackrock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

What I dont understand is why there are so many of these service centre type jobs being created in Dublin? Most of these jobs will be in support type activity paying between 30-45k.

No where near enough to buy in Dublin and people will be using 50%+ of their earning paying rent. This salary in other parts of Ireland would go much further. In likes of Waterford you would be able to buy property or use a much lower % of your take home pay if renting. This is better for everyone. The concentration these types of job in Dublin needs to stop. All it serves to to put stress on those working in those jobs and more stress on the already insufficient housing in Dublin, and insufficient infrastructure.

No where near enough to buy in Dublin and people will be using 50%+ of their earning paying rent. This salary in other parts of Ireland would go much further. In likes of Waterford you would be able to buy property or use a much lower % of your take home pay if renting. This is better for everyone. The concentration these types of job in Dublin needs to stop. All it serves to to put stress on those working in those jobs and more stress on the already insufficient housing in Dublin, and insufficient infrastructure.

The companies and the employees want to be in Dublin, not in Waterford. The employees by and large would rather pay 50% of their rent and live in Dublin than 25% and live in Waterford.

What do you suggest we do, tell Indeed they're not allowed create these jobs in Dublin?

The companies and the employees want to be in Dublin, not in Waterford. The employees by and large would rather pay 50% of their rent and live in Dublin than 25% and live in Waterford.

What do you suggest we do, tell Indeed they're not allowed create these jobs in Dublin?

I suggest that there is a proper work plan for the country. That companies like Indeed are incentivised to open offices in other part of the country.

Most people come to Dublin because this is where most jobs are. If there was more of a spread around the country there wouldn't be such a drive for everyone to get to Dublin to work.

Regarding "employees would rather pay 50% rent and live in Dublin" Where are pulling that from? Dublin rent is extortion and I would say the vast majority would work else where if the jobs were available and pay a fraction of the rent. Money they could save to buy a house or for the their children instead of forking rent over to a cuckoo investor companies every month.

Regarding "employees would rather pay 50% rent and live in Dublin" Where are pulling that from? Dublin rent is extortion and I would say the vast majority would work else where if the jobs were available and pay a fraction of the rent. Money they could save to buy a house or for the their children instead of forking rent over to a cuckoo investor companies every month.

Me, most people I work with and most of my social group would make such a choice, and do. Living in a lively European capital with all that that brings is much more important than having enough money to afford a house, at least in your 20s.

My own company has offices in all cities in Ireland, and people can effectively work wherever they want without any impact on your salary. Guess what? Pretty much everyone chooses to live in either Dublin or Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If there was more of a spread around the country there wouldn't be such a drive for everyone to get to Dublin to work.
    These firms want to be in a cluster, not "spread around the country" - they recruit staff from other firms in the same industry, the senior execs want to network with other senior execs, they think there is a business advantage to their staff being part of a cluster. Dublin is a tech cluster, and we should be glad to have it because there is few other locations like it in Europe.

If towns down the country want to try and compete, why don't they build the right infrastructure - get broadband into their towns and not every boreen which will take forever, build offices remote workers can work out of, build the greenways which will make their towns more attractive to live in (and less effort building pointless railways to "attract industry").

Me, most people I work with and most of my social group would make such a choice, and do. Living in a lively European capital with all that that brings is much more important than having enough money to afford a house, at least in your 20s.

My own company has offices in all cities in Ireland, and people can effectively work wherever they want without any impact on your salary. Guess what? Pretty much everyone chooses to live in either Dublin or Cork.

Priorities of people change massively outside of your 20s, obviously when your are young a larger city is attractive to go out , meet people etc. I Imagine most people in your circle are not thinking purchasing a house or paying for creche, and are more likely enjoying the night life.

But once priorities change being able to provide a roof and good life for your family become more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Land and rental costs are lower outside Dublin, they could probably pay people less too and yet they still pick Dublin so there’s obviously a lot more to it.
    Tech companies in Silicon Valley are the same all clustered together where rents etc are high yet they still all group together.

These firms want to be in a cluster, not "spread around the country" - they recruit staff from other firms in the same industry, the senior execs want to network with other senior execs, they think there is a business advantage to their staff being part of a cluster. Dublin is a tech cluster, and we should be glad to have it because there is few other locations like it in Europe.

If towns down the country want to try and compete, why don't they build the right infrastructure - get broadband into their towns and not every boreen which will take forever, build offices remote workers can work out of, build the greenways which will make their towns more attractive to live in (and less effort building pointless railways to "attract industry").

The other side of the tech cluster is hyper inflated salaries and difficulties retaining staff. Part of the reason for the high prices in Dublin is because there are so many highly paid skilled tech workers.

However my point is most of these jobs in Amazon and Indeed will be support type jobs, not earning the same salaries as Software Engineers or UX designers. My point is that the highly technical jobs can remain in Dublin where those salaries can provide a good standard of living for families, but the support and shared service roles do not, and could be done anywhere with a much high quality of living.

Most major towns and cities Ireland have broad band, must have been quite a while since you last visited. Waterford has the largest Greenway in the country, perhaps larger offices are needed.

Land and rental costs are lower outside Dublin, they could probably pay people less too and yet they still pick Dublin so there’s obviously a lot more to it.
    Tech companies in Silicon Valley are the same all clustered together where rents etc are high yet they still all group together.

Indeed the Tech companies grouped together in Silicon Valley and salaries went through the roof and inflated prices in the area for everything.

The average house in San Franciso is €1.6 million dollars. Unless you are extremely well paid there is no way you can live there. That is the other side of the Tech Hub. Property ownership becomes a luxury for only highest earners.

While it is a good thing these jobs are coming to Ireland. Many of the support jobs can be done in other parts which will make life better for people in other parts of the country and in Dublin by reducing pressure on the rental and property markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

While it is a good thing these jobs are coming to Ireland. Many of the support jobs can be done in other parts which will make life better for people in the county and in Dublin by reducing pressure on the rental and property markets.

If they can be done that easily outside Dublin though, it implies they could be done just as easily outside Ireland.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement