Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIBKA or IBKA

Options
  • 24-04-2019 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

Ok...I was thinking about getting back into bees and was browsing about and found there are now two organisations and O i wan tot know whats the difference between the two associations or more importantly why the need?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

Keeks wrote: »
    ...why the need?

No need, I think it is just hurt feelings of people who think they know how to run a federation better. And they are probably right, but forming another organization is a bit silly.

2zbxpq

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Agree with victor8600.

The population of beekeepers in Ireland is roughly the size of a large local GAA club. To divide that population between two organisations doesn't seem like a good move.

On top of that, the culture of keeping information hidden behind member logins on websites can only hurt both organisations. It's annoying to members and it limits potential members from seeing a lot of the actual useful work produced.

I don't want to criticise too harshly however. I'm just another hurler on the ditch and will be staying that way for a while because volunteering to fill a post in either organisation requires a lot of time and commitment.

I'm a member of a FIBKA affiliated association. I'm considering joining as an associate of an IBA association to support some of the good work that they are doing. Then there's NIHBS...

Getting back on track; both organisations provide insurance which is an important consideration. Personally finding a good local association would be my first consideration, whichever their affiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

For the vast majority of beekeepers, you won't know if your association is affiliated with one or the other. If you're going to join an association, pick the one that's closest to you since you'll want help and information and it's easier if it's from someone down the road. If you're interested in going along to Gormanston, you'll probably want to join FIBKA.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭thelord

Did my begineers course with fingal north beekeepers that was back 2012. Have no been back in a long while its very far for me to travel.

Advertisement