Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attenborough scaremongering?

• 24-04-2019 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/climate-change-the-fake-news-from-attenborough/

It's obvious all of these programmes pick stories that suit their agenda.
    Attenborough in particular carries a lot weight in what he says,maybe a bit if balance wouldn't go astray.
    Don't know if all the facts and figures in the article are accurate,but it certainly makes some good points.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Regardless, he was great in Jurassic Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Lost me at "climate change propaganda".

That article is flaming dog ****.

Written by noted climate scientist, sorry scientist, sorry accountant, sorry former accountant Paul Homewood.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Slattsy wrote: »
    Regardless, he was great in Jurassic Park.
    i thought his brother was better..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

kneemos wrote:
    It's obvious all of these programmes pick stories that suit their agenda. Attenborough in particular carries a lot weight in what he says,maybe a bit if balance wouldn't go astray. Don't know if all the facts and figures in the article are accurate,but it certainly makes some good points.

What do you think yourself have you a position?Personally I think we are f**ked, things have gone to far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

A bit of balance? Like "Whales are bastards. Who needs em anyway?"

• Advertisement

MrFresh wrote: »
    A bit of balance? Like "Whales are bastards. Who needs em anyway?"

"CO2 is plant food, why do you HATE PLANTS?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

What do you think yourself have you a position?Personally I think we are f**ked, things have gone to far.

Not a clue. Nature programmes however inevitably have a forlorn looking Seal or Polar Bear to drive home the climate change agenda.

Other environmental disasters like to the destruction of forests for example rarely get a mention.

• Site Banned Posts: 73 ✭✭Jimmy_oc1998

People are driven by emotion, not by logic.

It's why the world is ****ed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

kneemos wrote: »
    Not a clue. Nature programmes however inevitably have a forlorn looking Seal or Polar Bear to drive home the climate change agenda.

Well, you've convinced me OP. Climate change is BS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oh for gods sake what bollixology, the OP should be embarrassed just for ending up on www.conservativewomen.brexit

This is what we are dealing with folks.
    While average summer temperature temperatures may be a bit higher, winters are also milder, so it is not clear why the climate is any worse. Is Oxford’s climate worse than Newcastle’s, just because average temperatures are higher?

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote:
    Other environmental disasters like to the destruction of forests for example rarely get a mention.

Attenborough's lastest programme references the destruction of the environment as much as the disappearance of species . Both are linked believe it or not.

Well, you've convinced me OP. Climate change is BS!

What's BS is people not realising that drinking out of paper straws and having bananas coming wrapped in paper instead of plastic is not going to save the planet while you have thousands of aircraft in the air at any one time and having population growing exponentially.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How'd you work that one out? It's mentioned in quite a few Attenborough narrated documentaries.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What's BS is people not realising that drinking out of paper straws and having bananas coming wrapped in paper instead of plastic is not going to save the planet while you have thousands of aircraft in the air at any one time and having population growing exponentially.

Ummm, when did I say it would?

Is it ok to take action on emissions and the population and also take action on waste, or are we obliged to only concern ourselves with the absolute biggest problems?

The fact is most normal people have limited capacity to do anything about the huge issues beyond voting and demonstrating. Reducing waste is one of the few practical things they have direct control over, so as long as one does't happen at the expense of the other, what harm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Patty Hearst

Whats strange about Attenborough is that he spent a good 2 decades proclaiming population increase as the greatest threat to the environment and humanity. So did just about every other environmentalist of note.

They seem to have dropped that concern now. why is that?

Any thought yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Any thought yourself?

Are you going to ask everyone the same question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Yea society would want to be getting serious with regard to the modern convenience s and industrial processes infact almost all of the way we do things in the last 100 years. Consume and pollute is what we do and in a matter of fact way. Regards to population there is evidence even with the age profile in 2nd&3 world rising that there will be a major plateuxing at 11 billion within 50 years, which we will be able to feed, but there will be more consuming & pollution with the 11 billion. Just imagine vast new 'middle classes' in China and India jetting off on holidays!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Whats strange about Attenborough is that he spent a good 2 decades proclaiming population increase as the greatest threat to the environment and humanity. So did just about every other environmentalist of note.

A quick Google tells me Attenborough was in the news talking about overpopulation as recently as last October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Proof that absolutley nothing is sacred nowadays.

He was still talking about it in October... anyway the latest stats suggest population growth is slowing, so that might be an element of it. The message seems to be sinking in.

No but it seems strange to just pose a question without clarification of one's own thoughts and opinion first, do you not agree. As for the person who questioned the opinion on population I think there is far too many of us. The west has falling birth rates whilst the developing world has growing population but this also where the environment is most under threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Climate change is real!!
    Climate change is a load of b*llix!!

Either way, we're continuing consumption of Earth's resources that simply isn't sustainable.
    Something needs to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Climate change is real!!
    Climate change is a load of b*llix!!

Either way, we're continuing consumption of Earth's resources that simply isn't sustainable.
    Something needs to change.

Hence we have scientists working on rocket's to travel to distant planets and colonize them so we can start over.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    A quick Google tells me Attenborough was in the news talking about overpopulation as recently as last October.

Yes but if you're old enough to remember he spoke about on almost every single show he did. Rarely these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

You clearly haven't seen his new doc on Netflix then. They show a time lapse video of the jungle in Borneo being cut down for a palm oil plantation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Showing walruses climb up a cliff and telling viewers that the walruses were committing suicide from receding ice was wrong, the walruses were being hunted by polar bears and couldn't get any further away so fell from the cliff top trying to scale down it.

David Frederick Attenborough is an alarmist in my opinion. This is the second time he has shown to be involved in lies.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I met both brothers in a small pub near Chester in 1993. They were both very friendly. They chatted to me about Ireland during lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

I'll take death by climate over this incessant coverage of the topic, thanks very much.

The planet can fuk right off, it caused this mess in the first place.

Hobosan wrote: »
    I'll take death by climate over this incessant coverage of the topic, thanks very much.

The planet can fuk right off. It caused this mess in the first place!

The planet will be here long after the human race is gone.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Because it's been surpassed by a much more significant threat

The planet will be here long after the human race is gone.

Yep, it will sprout up another clever species that becomes aware of the cosmic joke that the universe has played on it. Maybe that one will be clever enough to direct the Earth into the Sun.

(Also, has there ever been a climate change discussion where someone didn't repeat that phrase? Thanks alot George)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I didn't read the article, but One Planet is quite preachy

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Because it's been surpassed by a much more significant threat

Is climate change not tied to consumption? Consumption of resources, fossil fuels, energy, land, agriculture etc

population increases exacerbate the problem in every conceivable way..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

David Attenborough has turned into a propagandist (or maybe he's going senile).

The title of the programme should have been:

Climate – Change the Facts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Is climate change not tied to consumption? Consumption of resources, fossil fuels, energy, land, agriculture etc

Yes and no.

Greater population is a greater drain on resources. However we do have enough resources, if properly used, to sustain the population of the planet. the problem is that we're not doing that.

So yes, lower population would help a bit but it wouldn't get rid of the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

One part of the whole problem is our current economic model.
    We need to keep "growth" positive for it to function.
    Growth unfortunately means population growth too, at least until AI or something produces new growth for us!

One part of the whole problem is our current economic model.
    We need to keep "growth" positive for it to function.
    Growth unfortunately means population growth too, at least until AI or something produces new growth for us!

There are plenty of disabled and unemployed we could shoot in the back of the head if that would help. Including myself! Human sacrifice, back in the big leagues.

moonage wrote: »
    David Attenborough has turned into a propagandist (or maybe he's going senile).

The title of the programme should have been:

Climate – Change the Facts

Attenborough still seems to me to have an exceptionally sharp mind, and he's never seemed interested in towing anyone else's line. I'd be damn pleased to be myself and so fully lucid at 92. It's impressive.

Gotta have reasons to deny though, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Scaremonger is a loaded word but to scaremonger about climate change is actually a good thing and very apt. And even if it did turn out to be a load of bollox, a conspiracy etc then to ardently draw attention to what's happening can only have a positive effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Grayson wrote: »
    Yes and no.

Greater population is a greater drain on resources. However we do have enough resources, if properly used, to sustain the population of the planet. the problem is that we're not doing that.

So yes, lower population would help a bit but it wouldn't get rid of the problem.

But surely more will exacerbate the issue.

For the third world to develop massive resources are going to be consumed. We can burn oil for another 300 yrs.

Attenborough still seems to me to have an exceptionally sharp mind, and he's never seemed interested in towing anyone else's line. I'd be damn pleased to be myself and so fully lucid at 92. It's impressive.

Gotta have reasons to deny though, right?

He's turning into an extremist alarmist. The lies have proven this. His credibility is over.

I didn't see many people worried about the climate when billions was donated to Notre Dame? Those billions could have cleaned up a lot of oceans and planted lots of trees.

The linked article is pure dross, whatever about Attenborough's leanings do provide a more reputable source.

Yup, but they aren't inexorably tied

Despite a growing population, we can e.g. ween ourselves off fossils and onto renewable

He's turning into an extremist alarmist. The lies have proven this. His credibility is over.

Sarcasm?

But surely more will exacerbate the issue.

For the third world to develop massive resources are going to be consumed. We can burn oil for another 300 yrs.

If you are ideologically committed to mass immigration then no amount of facts will sway you. You will find people who actually argue that population increases have nothing to do with Climate Change.

There is NO reconciling population increases with environmentalism and tackling climate change.
    Its like arguing that throwing petrol on a fire has no effect on the blaze.

Climate change is extremely alarming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

It's obvious all of these programmes pick stories that suit their agenda.
    Attenborough in particular carries a lot weight in what he says,maybe a bit if balance wouldn't go astray.

"Thank you, mr scientist. Now for balance we're going over to Mildred who reckons Jesus won't let anything happen to the planet and she wants to continue burning her rubbish."

• Advertisement
Advertisement